One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-18 08:45:22

helloworld

Forge rework, Shelter Becomes vital!

-Currently looks like
Fire -> rabbit -> forge -> steel tools (simplified, but achievable within one generation) less then 1 hour of play time.
*Reaching Iron age by the timespan of one life. (progression waaay to fast!!!)
skip past adobe walls, shelter is cosmetic

---New tech road---

1: Forge = adobe + kiln (permanent) (takes 1 hour to become stable) (requires to be surrounded by walls)
smallest forge room can be 3x3
0 0 0
0 X 0
0 C 0
*(0 = wall, X = forge, C = door) of course bigger is better for more room to forge.

---Shelter becomes vital to survival---
Building shelter with adobe wall becomes vital to survival! (increasing the tech tree time frame)
internal clock system for each player
checks last time being in a shelter

if 5 min has past (lose 1 food bonus) (Example - Gooseberry gives 5 total food, but here will give only 4 food)
if 10 min has past (lose 2 food bonus)
*This makes shelter more important early in game, thus making use of adobe wall to create shelter in gen 1-2 becomes vital to survival (since berry is main source of food).

If eating food within a shelter room (gain 1 food bonus)
*Allowing the access to dinning room and common room for family to gather and socialize

https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … mes_vital/
*up vote there if u want this

#2 2018-09-18 09:05:38

pein

Re: Forge rework, Shelter Becomes vital!

3x3 rooms are annoying 2x any is annoying
they cover a lot of space
spacing out things has no negative impact
if you would put every berry bush on 1 distance from other, would be even better, only noobs try to put everything close to each other
progress is slow
i dont want to spend a life to prepare things for grandkids who cant even survive
also 1 hour you wont survive without bowls

shelters would only work if you could heat the whole room to medium temperature, this would require a central heating unit and special tiles which average out the temperature in a bigger space not 9 tiles

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2018-09-18 09:59:32

Joriom
Website

pein wrote:

i dont want to spend a life to prepare things for grandkids who cant even survive

But.... thats like a whole point of this game, is it not? If you don't believe me - confront this with Jason himself.

On the topic of structures required around the item itself - I can't really see that happening due to Jasons policy about whole "crafting system" in OHOL. It's always meant to be A + B = C + D where A or B can be time or user interaction itself, while D is optional. Jason already stated few months ago that in his mind there is no room for "between tiles interaction" with current implementation and hes not willing to rebuild it from zero. That was one of points against rivers from what I remember or maybe something more. And here we're talking about whole structure detection. But yeah, TL;DR; OHOL engine is limited and not really flexible for stuff like that (at least in Jasons eyes).

#4 2018-09-18 12:36:13

boggers

pein wrote:

shelters would only work if you could heat the whole room to medium temperature, this would require a central heating unit and special tiles which average out the temperature in a bigger space not 9 tiles

+1

I've never seen a pine building. Since straight shafts are non renewable, and it takes a cart full of straight branches just to build the frame for 1 wall, vs 6 walls from a cart full of baskets of adobe, or 2 walls from cut big rocks, I will never make a pine wall.

Adobe buildings are rare because they're only possible if you are near a ton of reeds and clay, plus they degrade.

A cheap Eve level shelter would be great though, like a lean to:

lean-to-shelter-3.jpg

By cheap I mean something like this:

Reeds + Two Shafts = Lean To Frame.
Pine needles + Lean To Frame = Lean To.
Axe + Lean To = Axe + Kindling.

It would make the temperature in that square perfect but non-traversable, so its utility is in providing slightly better temperature in the 8 squares around it once they are averaged.

Built in numbers, it would provide a good way to get babies and nursing moms away from the busy fire / forge area - you find that perfect temperature edge spot and build a 3x3 room of lean tos around it with entries at good temp tiles. The 8 tiles around the spot now have 6/8 of their neighbour tiles at perfect temp, so the whole room will be close to perfect temp without floors.

Filled with saplings, skewers and stones it could also function as the communal home marker spot and ad hoc bear shelter.

Now that I have typed all that out for the Lean To, it occurs to me that the same system of non-traversable with perfect temperature could be applied to ALL walls. Combined with smoother averaging on wood or stone floor tiles, rooms would function as intended. An additional idea: Using certain tools or item on walls to make windows.

Windows are still non traversable like walls, but their temperature reverts back to whatever biome they are in. Say you build a large room between desert and plains but the temperature of the whole room is a bit off. Knock out a window on the plains side to cool the whole room a little, or on the desert side to warm it.

#5 2018-09-18 13:48:51

Anshin

Tree farming needs to happen!

Ocean is certainly something that could be a biome type. There could be coconut palms that grow near there with leaves for weaving... and Rattan.

Regarding the forge, we get to the iron age quickly because we already know about it.
Sure it took longer to discover it, but building a forge when you know you want to build one doesn't take an entire lifetime.
Perhaps you could slow down forge building by requiring bricks, which in themselves are useful for building all sorts of things.
We would then need deeper clay resources where brick-works are built...

#6 2018-09-18 14:16:56

Sharlank

Anshin wrote:

Tree farming needs to happen!

Ocean is certainly something that could be a biome type. There could be coconut palms that grow near there with leaves for weaving... and Rattan.

Now I want an ocean biome with Palm Trees (and palm leaves), Coconuts, Seashells, Fishing and DEADLY CRABS yikes

#7 2018-09-18 14:51:08

boggers

+1 for oceans.
Whole biomes of deep water with shallow waters on some edges.
Sandy beaches next to shallows for glass and concrete.
Slow but safe beach fishing.
Riskier but high return deep sea fishing - made safer on a raft.
Getting eaten by sharks while checking the crab traps in the shallows.
Coconut milk and of course - coconut bras for the ladies!

#8 2018-09-18 15:05:16

Redram

The game really does need more incentive for buildings, but not temperature, and not requiring a building just to build a thing.   It needs to be the case that higher tier tech than we have now needs protection from the elements to survive.  So you drill presses, table saws, and other machinery need an enclosure or they rust into lumps of steel (which can be recycled).   They'd just check every minute or something, to make sure they are in an enclosure.  If they aren't they accumulate an 'exposure' point.  Once they've accumulated, say, 20 exposure points, they're rusted solid.  The long exposure time is to allow people to rebuild griefed walls and doors before damage occurs.  But still well within a person's life.  I cannot possibly be that hard to check for enclosure once in awhile.  Obviously there will be a limit of range that can be checked, which will limit building size, but they should be able to be plenty large enough to use.

Also the game needs tables which can hold four items on top, and shelves which can also store numerous items.   But, being nice carpentry, they will decay if exposed for too long.  This would incentivize players to start cooking inside, or at least have mess halls, while reducing clutter.  You'd start having buildings that are more than just warehouses.

Last edited by Redram (2018-09-18 15:06:10)

#9 2018-09-18 15:34:47

Anshin

Redram wrote:

The game really does need more incentive for buildings, but not temperature, and not requiring a building just to build a thing.   It needs to be the case that higher tier tech than we have now needs protection from the elements to survive.  So you drill presses, table saws, and other machinery need an enclosure or they rust into lumps of steel (which can be recycled).   They'd just check every minute or something, to make sure they are in an enclosure.  If they aren't they accumulate an 'exposure' point.  Once they've accumulated, say, 20 exposure points, they're rusted solid.  The long exposure time is to allow people to rebuild griefed walls and doors before damage occurs.  But still well within a person's life.  I cannot possibly be that hard to check for enclosure once in awhile.  Obviously there will be a limit of range that can be checked, which will limit building size, but they should be able to be plenty large enough to use.

Also the game needs tables which can hold four items on top, and shelves which can also store numerous items.   But, being nice carpentry, they will decay if exposed for too long.  This would incentivize players to start cooking inside, or at least have mess halls, while reducing clutter.  You'd start having buildings that are more than just warehouses.

Yes, I had suggested this before. That buildings should prevent decay.

EDIT: And you're absolutely right that we need more recycling. Broken stone tools should at least be useable as kindling. Dead lambs/calves/piglets should be dog food...

Last edited by Anshin (2018-09-18 15:38:02)

#10 2018-09-18 16:22:17

boggers

Careful what you wish for... Buildings to prevent decay might also end up with raw meat and other food spoiling in the open like Rimworld and ONI. Meat lockers in snow biomes, anyone? big_smile

#11 2018-09-18 18:39:53

Redram

Anshin wrote:

Yep, I've seen both these general suggestions - tables/shelving and buildings to prevent various effects - many times.   It just floors me that rather than picking actually good ideas, Jason does useless stuff like paper, minecarts, and dogs.

Last edited by Redram (2018-09-18 18:40:26)

#12 2018-09-18 19:17:20

Turnipseed

Redram wrote:
Anshin wrote:

Yep, I've seen both these general suggestions - tables/shelving and buildings to prevent various effects - many times.   It just floors me that rather than picking actually good ideas, Jason does useless stuff like paper, minecarts, and dogs.

Hey paper is awsome... i agree with the other two though

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#13 2018-09-18 20:10:32

Schlorghan

have you seen primitive technology? he builds forges very quickly(from nothing). you might say that its fast because he knows about forges and can therefore be efficient. But in that is the point, can we get to smartphones and all that cool technologies with our own knowledge? no. but it would be faster then when we had no clue.

I prefer kidnapping to giving birth.

Board footer