One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-03 02:12:33

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Latest griefing idea, still riddled with problems

Assuming that villagers eventually catch and rise up against a griefer, the griefer will be murdered.

A good villager who gets wounded is much more likely to be healed and saved than a griefer who is murdered.  Thus, a griefer should die from murder much more often than a good villager.

It seems like we can use this to differentiate between the players that people want around and the players that they don't want around.  Essentially, in real life, when you kill Dahmer, he stays dead.  Not true in this game, obviously.

So you could imagine some metric of how often your life ends in murder, and some "prison colony" type area on the map where you are destined to be born for a while if you exceed a threshold.

HOWEVER, right off the bat, there is a huge problem.  A griefer can simply avoid dying from murder, ever.  When the villagers pick up the pitchforks, the griefer can run away or simply disconnect-suicide.

This is why any behavior-based system fails:  it's too easy to work-around the behavior that the system is trying to detect.

Thus, as hokey as it is....  seems like some sort of player-driven voting system is the only way around this issue.  There's no way to work around that.  Either the people that you're playing with like you or don't like you.  Thus, we're back to

BLESS YOU RON JEREMY
or
CURSE YOU RON JEREMY

The thing I'm worried about is the voting being abused during legitimate, non-griefing disputes.  Maybe that's all just part of the game, though?  After all, murder can currently be used in the same way to get rid of someone that you disagree with.

Also, I don't like the supernatural connotations here, but like it or not, this is a supernatural game (there's reincarnation).

Anyway, the general idea here is that, whatever the mechanism, the person isn't just sent away from YOUR village, off to bother other people for a while.  But somehow, if there's enough consensus, the person is kinda sent away from all villages for a substantial amount of time.  Or maybe only born to a mother with a similarly tarnished status.

Or maybe born with horns....

#2 2018-07-03 02:26:17

Lotus

Re: Latest griefing idea, still riddled with problems

A visible indicator based off of how a.) often the player murders or b.) how many people the player has murdered in one or more recent past lives (more than two is proooobably a murderer) might be nice. It could be settle but unable to be covered by clothing or hair. Like a birthmark or scar on their face?

I like the “bless” vs “curse” idea because it’s unlikely to be abused unless the rumors about a griefer are wrong or a few griefers spawn into the same village, which isn’t very common.

Last edited by Lotus (2018-07-03 02:26:43)

#3 2018-07-03 02:26:43

YAHG

If you want to fuck people over murder is not the way. Carrot sponging is far more powerful.

Run off in the woods with an Axe (no one will EVER question you), cut down all maples and live off the land as you ring out around camp.
Dig all wild carrots (eat them if you want but don't need to)
Salt water bowls and pouches
Flint Tipped firebows
Wheels, just lots and lots of wheels
Make every round stone you see a sharp one.
Turn the flints into arrow heads
Hide random crap behind trees
Dump nice things into trash pits

This is the kinda stuff people won't be able to catch you doing. Murdering people is more head
on which is why I prefer it.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#4 2018-07-03 02:44:59

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, I didn't say we were dealing with murderers here.

I said griefers.

#5 2018-07-03 02:53:27

Uncle Gus

This is the equivalent of how on games like Counterstrike you can vote to kick a player. This mechanism is good because it caters for all griefing. Making an anti-griefing system that only counters specific behaviours only works for those behaviours. But the voting system relies on knowing who the player is. This game revolves a lot around anonymity, except for in game names, which are not chosen by the players themselves unless they are Eve, and what about unnamed people? How do you vote them off? Also, the voting system calls for a vote from every player on the server, which doesn't translate to this setting.

So ideally what we want is something player driven, so that it can cater for any behaviour, but not relying on all players to cast a vote or naming the player to vote against.

#6 2018-07-03 03:07:34

forestglade

"So you could imagine some metric of how often your life ends in murder"

A better metric is how often you murder. Maybe a balance of both.

Honestly, I don't worry as much about soil, tree (once we can regrow trees), food griefing. Because as long as the population grows they can recover. But killing off fertile females pretty much is an ender for all civs.

The punishment colony could be a separate server, there's tons of empty servers. And if that saperate server is always pvp and crazy, some people might like that best and just log into that server.

#7 2018-07-03 03:43:43

YAHG

Isn't murder like ridiculously low % of deaths?

Now we can even heal.

What if someone who died from murder Eves till they live to 30? Is not super harsh like 15 chill out.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#8 2018-07-03 03:59:43

Gummyworm1270

The bad thing is there isn't a good solution to the problem, but I like the player voting idea anyway. I think it should take several different people voting on a player to cause any effect, maybe even over multiple lives. The first couple of lives that a player griefs in shouldn't be affected much. That way just one or two people can't curse somebody just cause they kept raising boys or something else silly.

I also like the devil horns idea or some other kind of mark that the player is born with. Some people may even raise kids with the mark just for the story aspects. Of course if you live long enough without being cursed again or if you're blessed multiple the curse should wear off.

All this won't completely remove griefing from the game but it should make it quite a bit rarer.

#9 2018-07-03 04:02:14

pein

today people tilled 3 soil i tried to fix berry bushes
no one bats an eye
they would vote me cause its me

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2018-07-03 04:03:27

Uncle Gus

What if the voting was only available to people in the area?
What if it required a minimum number (more than 1) of people to vote in favour of removing the griefer?
What if it required a particular (type of) object?
What if using that object meant the griefer couldn't move and eventually starved to death, or was allowed to recover if they proved their innocence?

What if I've alread suggested this and have already made a mod of it?

#11 2018-07-03 04:49:19

forestglade

This was my character today. Between my character and the bbs from that character, we had *three* different murderers attack us.

I was left with a bad taste in my mouth, and I'm an experienced player. If I was a n00b and kept respawning in shit town Trinity (which I spawned there three maybe four times today) I would've have thought that OHOL was a pvp, demoralizing game.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=441405

Last edited by forestglade (2018-07-03 04:50:40)

#12 2018-07-03 06:13:04

happynova

I really like the idea of being able to curse people.  There have been a few folks recently I would have loved to be able to wish off to the server equivalent of The Bad Place, and however many votes would be necessary to do it, I'm sure we could have gotten them.  But I see an obvious potential problem if it has to be done by name.  What if the person in question doesn't have a name at the moment?  Or if more than one person in the area has the same name?  If you say "I CURSE NAMELESS" or "I CURSE HOPE," how is the game going to know which of the two Hopes or the four Nameless people in the village you mean?

#13 2018-07-03 06:20:52

Neo

Hmm, This could work sometimes. I think it'd would be hard to abuse for griefing unless a griefer had a group which usually dosnt happen.

The worst that could happen is a town cursing people with unlikable personalities like me and pein or people that aren't productive.

Last edited by Neo (2018-07-03 06:43:48)

#14 2018-07-03 07:33:10

JonySky
Website

I see another problem added, sometimes although the griefer has a name, if it is running from one side of the screen to the other it is very difficult to capture the name, if this is implemented, it should be easier to capture the name of the person (for example that the name remains fixed on the screen once we have placed the mouse on it), in general it does not seem a bad idea to mark the murderers in series for the next life ... the idea of the horns of the devil I think great! ... but I think it has to solve some problems described here (people without a name, duplicity of names, etc ...)

#15 2018-07-03 08:22:36

kubassa
Banned

LOL this game is going further and further down the shitter.

I got huge ballz.

#16 2018-07-03 14:59:44

TrustyWay

People grief because the game became annoying, let's face it, game is really becoming uninteresting.

I thought like neo, people will use this to people they don't agree with. Griefers can be sneaky enough, not strong personality having fun. I know they will use it and I will have to do the same.

If people report me for being different I will start to stab everyone seriously. If we get reported for living our life and not being a bee, this will be the end of the fun in this game.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-07-03 15:03:06)

#17 2018-07-03 15:08:55

YAHG

TrustyWay wrote:

If we get reported for living our life and not being a bee, this will be the end of the fun in this game.

Amen.

Focus more on ways up the tech tree and less to the shrieking harpies. They won't be happy anyways they use their outrage to try to control your behavior.

#18 2018-07-03 15:15:44

TrustyWay

Have you seen reports in LoL ? This is the most cancerous thing that killed the game. People feel intitled to reports others for not being perfect enough.

I feel you yagh

#19 2018-07-03 16:01:44

annjust

How about add people can be tied with a rope like we domestic a lamb, then everyone can catch grifers as long as there is a rope nearby, it gives good villagers time explian to and ask the others for help.

#20 2018-07-03 16:05:49

forestglade

I mean, obviously the game will be last fun for those of you who grief all the time. Hopefully it will be like real life, where you only grief once in a while instead of every fucking day.

#21 2018-07-04 03:45:15

adrian010886

Vote system is great! But here's my 2 cents to make this work. There should be a "Family Info Window" in the corner of the screen (boarder opacity should be set to low) so that you can receive updates about who in your family has just died and who in your family has been injured, example: Richard Eve was bitten by a snake!...Emma Eve was stabbed by Billy Eve!...Mary Eve has died of starvation!) The "Family Info Window" is for events only and not a chat bar.  If you attack someone within your family, the [Family Tab] itself will change to red indicating someone in your family is a murderer. The attackers name within the [Family tab] will also highlight red which can been seen by selecting the [Family Tab] at the bottom of the "Family Info Window" to open a drop down list of all your currently alive family members) The attackers name will forever be highlighted in red regardless if they run away. It is a mark of "Bad Blood". This "Bad Blood" will persist even if they happen to die and re spawn into your family again. Voting should ONLY be allowed against players with the "Bad Blood" mark and I feel that there should be a warning in the "Family Info Window" when a vote to kick has been initiated by a family member. thereafter a 30 second timer begins giving your family the chance to vote whether the player with the "Bad Blood" mark will be kicked or pardoned.

If someone can do the math that would be great.

T = Timer
F = Total Family Votes
K = kick
P = Pardon

A pardon clears the player of "Bad Blood"

I feel like this is a great place to start and can help stop players from going on murder sprees within your own family as well as adding a quality of life update for your family. ( I hate wondering if little Tommy is still alive after he went searching for milkweed )

Side note;  a [Rival Tab] beside the [Family Tab] would be very helpful for when an outsider decides to attack your family. Not only would you see the event on the "Family Info Window" (Different last name would indicate a rival: "Emma Eve was stabbed by Jhonny Sol") it can work similar to the [Family Tab] in which you can vote kick

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind ~ M. K. Gandhi

I hope you find this helpful, would love your feedback

Chat%20window_zps1it56wyk.jpg

If you equip a knife or bow/arrow please don't click on a family member. There is no line between accident and intent.

Last edited by adrian010886 (2018-07-04 09:37:27)

#22 2018-07-04 06:24:33

Lepisma

jasonrohrer wrote:

Or maybe born with horns....

It would greatly amuse me if they received karma in the form of some sort of handicap/disability (some of the ones listed here, for example) so that they could play, but would have a harder time griefing and might have to learn to reform and "play nice" (even if only for a while).

Board footer