One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-21 13:24:41

afloatingstone

Has the game become too dystopian?

My first experience playing since the decay update goes like this: Born 7 times in a row to naked Eves who abandoned me. Eighth attempt born as Eve. Heard a bell and decided to check it out. Stumbled into a scene out of a post-apocalyptic nightmare. A once great city now in total ruin, broken stuff everywhere, no farms whatsoever - just a few naked Eves like me running around trying to scavenge what was left.
Decay is a welcome mechanic but this was ridiculous - the ground was littered with broken tools, baskets, clothing etc. Added to this the fact that farming gets nerfed more with every single update, and it feels frustratingly difficult to get anything done besides constantly scavenging for food. Will new players be able to get into this game with the kind of experience I just had?
Please feel free to share your experiences and feelings on the latest changes.

#2 2018-04-21 13:38:47

Baker

Re: Has the game become too dystopian?

I actually saw a few stable farms BUT then the server started having problems. I was daughter to an Eve who had already had a small farm and plentiful berries around.

Unfortunately, I died from CONNECTION LOST, I talked to other people and it's happened to them too. Seems like every city instantly decayed after the update, it really does feel like an apocalypse again.

I don't know why Jason hates farming so much, It's already been made harder several times. People complained back then and what did Jason do, Make it even harder. Jason has stated that he doesn't want civs to survive long-term yet most of us bought the game so we could build civs that last for many generations.

I'm going to wait for things to stabilize a bit, hopefully, we can adapt to these changes and get things back on track.

Jason, If you happen to read this (Doubt it but you never know). We are struggling enough as it is, give us a damn break. Stop making the game harder and destroying all of civilization everytime we get a foothold.

Last edited by Baker (2018-04-21 13:39:23)

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#3 2018-04-21 15:20:21

arkajalka

Now this game almost feels like a single player game.
No point in trying to raise babies, setting up a food supply is too tedious job and a group of people have hard time living nomadic.
No point of making tools when they break so easily.
No point of making houses, storages, monuments, cause citys will just decay.
No point of making sheep pens, cause you have hard time to support even yourself.
No point of making almost anything else than just clothes for you and running in the wild.

What am i supposed to do in this game at this moment? Craft clothes and run 60mins in wild eating berries and what not, never setling anywhere? That seems to be only leggit way to survive whole life.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#4 2018-04-21 15:24:34

Drakulon

arkajalka wrote:

What am i supposed to do in this game at this moment? Craft clothes and run 60mins in wild eating berries and what not, never setling anywhere? That seems to be only leggit way to survive whole life.

Dont worry, sooner or later jason will activate the apocalypse again and then its all about who destroys everything first smile

#5 2018-04-21 15:26:18

paxpython

Jason also included stone walls which I think, don't decay.
Maybe there is a plan of adding better objects which don't decay so fast, in the future.

For now, if you want a city to last, build out of stone maybe?

#6 2018-04-21 15:27:15

arkajalka

Drakulon wrote:
arkajalka wrote:

Dont worry, sooner or later jason will activate the apocalypse again and then its all about who destroys everything first smile

Thast not really an achievement for me. Destroying, killing, grieffing is easy, but building up a civilization that can flourish and bring new aspects to game play is much much harder and a true end game for me.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

#7 2018-04-21 15:33:50

arkajalka

paxpython wrote:

Jason also included stone walls which I think, don't decay.
Maybe there is a plan of adding better objects which don't decay so fast, in the future.

For now, if you want a city to last, build out of stone maybe?

Why would you build a house when whole generation of people can starve in an instant.
Before all these nerfs to farming i had a village where i decided to just farm my whole life  and give oportunity to live for every baby. There were tons of carrots, more than people can eat. Yet still out of my and my childrens children only few survived. I stacked 24 corpses to a pile, when there was no good reason to die of hunger. Now its even harder. I can only imagine how new players feel at the moment.

#8 2018-04-21 16:17:44

Lily

He really does need to balance out the updates. I don't really have a problem with all the negative stuff, but there should be some positive too. If he added like bread that you can make out of wheat, then you could of had bread and stone walls, and everything falls apart. Things are not all that easier but you got some new options too so it isn't so depressing.

#9 2018-04-21 16:52:34

BlairFish

I agree. I don't mind a game being hard, but I find less and less value in playing when I know there is almost no chance of my family making it past a generation or two. At least in older versions of the game if I was left a lone male or an older Eve without a daughter, I could work on a base/farm/etc with the hope that some other person might find it useful.

I don't know. I feel like the crafting trees could have been more difficult, rather than constantly making food production harder and harder. We're told that some aspects are based on real life (example: it is easy to kill someone who is unaware), but other aspects are not (dirt for one). We're supposed to develop these complex systems like kings/cops but every update makes it more difficult to do so.

#10 2018-04-21 16:53:59

Go! Bwah!

The game needs more fun, more items, more fun items... or it will continue to lose players.  That's it.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#11 2018-04-21 17:26:13

Lily

If I had to guess, he made it harder because he is hoping we can go a full week before we get a city made entirely out of stone.

#12 2018-04-21 18:08:55

Portager

Only 124 people are currently playing the game mid-day in North America on a Saturday, which is quite low.

I think the problem is that every week the mechanics of the game change, but new content is scarce. This creates a situation where newbies and casual gamers are dis-incentivized to keep playing because the learning curve is too steep, and once they learn how to play one way, they have to quickly change and learn to play a different way. This obviously turns people off, and causes them to quit playing.

Veteran players meanwhile tech up too quickly, or try to find ways to break the game to illustrate a point, this causes Jason to make more gameplay changes and create less new content. Ultimately this complex situation has made the game feel very dark and depressing to me, when it used to be jovial and collaborative.

#13 2018-04-21 18:43:48

Joriom
Website

Portager wrote:

I think the problem is that every week the mechanics of the game change, but new content is scarce.

Paraphrasing Jason: He wants to build stable foundation before he adds more content on top of that. Expect to be stuck in stone age with game mechanics changing 40 more times before we see anything further.

#14 2018-04-21 18:52:57

Go! Bwah!

Joriom wrote:
Portager wrote:

I think the problem is that every week the mechanics of the game change, but new content is scarce.

Paraphrasing Jason: He wants to build stable foundation before he adds more content on top of that. Expect to be stuck in stone age with game mechanics changing 40 more times before we see anything further.

That's cool and all, but the player base is shrinking and skewing toward more serious players, so a "stable foundation" is likely to skew that way as well.  It's going to be really tricky bringing back a wider base (which is good for more new purchases) without the casual players playtesting throughout.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#15 2018-04-21 19:03:20

Joriom
Website

Go! Bwah! wrote:
Joriom wrote:
Portager wrote:

That's cool and all, but the player base is shrinking and skewing toward more serious players, so a "stable foundation" is likely to skew that way as well.  It's going to be really tricky bringing back a wider base (which is good for more new purchases) without the casual players playtesting throughout.

Tell it to Jason. Not to me. Most players understand that. All pro players know that. Jason is stubborn.

#16 2018-04-21 20:41:24

lostlandofcarrots

My experience was pretty much the same as OP's. Only I never found any cities at all; just a few abandoned farms here and there, littered with rotten baskets. It felt like only new players that were trying out the game were playing t the time; most of the people I ran into, at least, were new. And really, I believe they too will stop soon. Having a decay system without a way to repair stuff *and* a way to dispose of broken things (yes, both systems are needed; it's not fun having to remake things a hundred times) is tedious and annoying.

I'm just gonna say what I said in another post: decay should be much slower, things should be repairable and broken stuff disposable. Steel tools should last a *lot*, especially given the effort needed to craft them.

I've played many hours of OHOL. I consider myself an experienced player. I kept playing the game after the apocalypse, after all the nerfs to farming, after all the complaints about rampant griefing. I found ways to deal with those problems, and I can even say I found the challenge enjoyable (especially when it came to griefers and murderers; I always enjoy some good pvp). But this update made everything annoying and boring. I think I'll probably stop playing, at least for a while, until this is fixed.

Last edited by lostlandofcarrots (2018-04-21 20:42:19)

#17 2018-04-22 04:39:32

Tane

lostlandofcarrots wrote:

But this update made everything annoying and boring. I think I'll probably stop playing, at least for a while, until this is fixed.

Same

#18 2018-04-22 04:53:40

Lily

Seems like the decay thing isn't a huge issue, it is getting disconnected every other game. Any time you do good it seems you get disconnected.

#19 2018-04-22 08:42:07

pein

yes yesterday, had two better runs, i had my second kid, wanted to make a pack, run half screen down and died to connection, poor kid waited for me i guess. supposedly fixed now

decay is bad, with increasing population, you need increased storage, but baskets decays faster than reed grows

my mom gave her pack to suicide after, she only showed me a dead town

tht pack decayed when i was around 40, and holds only two items, imagine as granny you give to your grankid and decays as he reaches 15 years, somewhat makes sense but this forcing experienced players to serve others the whole life, with no guarantee to born back there

most important will be not to increase population from 4-6 people at all, so letting babies starve

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#20 2018-04-22 11:59:33

RudolfVirchow

Maybe some of these problems could be remedied by you know, having a testing server where people can give their opinion on game-breaking changes before they're imposed on new players.

Board footer