One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-14 18:02:28

Auner

Really Helpful Habits

Hi everyone! Please post habits you've learned at are super helpful to the progression of the civ.

Try to stay away from advice that may be irrelevant in the next update, favor general attitudes

Here are my top 3 most helpful habits that make me a nice child:

1. Before hunting/gathering with a wheel barrel- instead of taking empty baskets from the farm or the circulation- make baskets from scratch and then begin the journey.

2. Always bring food with you as a child. As an adult- always share food

3. If you were born in a primitive family, and you're kinda 1 too many baby but you're taken care of and they are waiting for the seeds to grow- if you're old enough to pick up stuff, grab a near-by berry and run to an un-touched berry patch. Hang there for a few min and eat- maybe clean up your desk in real life for a few min for the carrots to come out. Once you're a bit older and carrots are up- return home.  If you know you're 1 too many, this way- you stay outta the limited food supply and honestly if you die trying to find the berry patch- you save the civ

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#2 2018-04-14 18:24:32

Lily

Re: Really Helpful Habits

1. Create a home marker if you are going far distances.

2. Though it is easy to avoid getting lost if you run around the edges of the biomes and learn their general size and shape of the biome. Also if you throw a lot of stuff like branches and seeds from carrots on the ground you are more likely to recognize a place if you run by it again.

3. You should plan ahead when it comes to food. If you don't want to starve, you need to find food while you are at full health. If you wait until your starving, there is a high chance you will not find any. Even in villages people some times die because they can't find food fast enough.

#3 2018-04-14 21:15:26

Ka

Some of this stuff may be very basic, but I feel that many people don't think about it.

- Always go for renewable resources first, and always go for the fullest ones so that they can start to replenish. If their resource doesn't disappear if left on the ground, pick it and leave it there for the future.

- If you can afford to do it, go for stuff that is further away so that nearby resources are available in time of need. Also, prioritize eating wild berries while on your travels rather than the food supplies you brought with you (this should be a no-brainer, but every time I watch a youtuber I see the opposite being done and it drives me crazy).

- Don't silently start doing stuff that other people are in the middle of doing. Either propose to help, or let them finish and replace them as they move on to something else. People who are devoting themselves to an activity have things where they know they are and are already many steps ahead when it comes to what they're going to click on next, so if you really want to help with watering you can do so by using the filled pouches on the other side of the farm, and not those they are already emptying. And of course, don't grab the then empty basket and bolt away to find water, they already know where to go and would have done so with a cart full of them. Try instead to diversify and do things in parallel, like seeding + watering, placing plates + placing dough, filling bowls + smashing them, etc. Two heads are better than one, but only if on different bodies.

- Keep things in order, and a logical one. Don't mix different things in the same basket (unless you're going to take it with you), and leave stuff in the area where it makes sense that it should be. A basket of snares on a farm cart is 3 bothers and a half, and a basket with a carrot, a sharp stone and bone needle has no place anywhere.

- If you take something from the camp, don't leave it in the wild. While it may be found again, more often than not people are going to assume that they don't have it and make it again. Other than that, your plans to bring it back later may very likely just go out of the window for reasons you don't expect.

- Don't steal stuff that people are clearly planning to use. Of course you want a pair of pants as quickly as you can, but the guy who brought back a basket with a single thread and a milkweed stalk has worked for his hat, so don't get the needle while he's grabbing the rabbit fur. Also, the bakery uses that sharp stone on a regular basis, so don't just grab it to go make some baskets.

- If you're going to explore, you should of course have a home marker, but also travel in a straight, identifiable direction. North, South, East, West, and the directions dircetly in between are easy to remember and make it easier to find that nice place full of good stuff, both for you and the people you may want to communicate that to.

- This may sound like a repeat, but don't mess with others' plans. If someone is building a farm, a fence or whatever, don't just randomly take over or "contribute" without asking. Let them do their thing, they're likely devoting their life to accomplishing that goal and be proud of what they made with their own hands. Plus, they most likely have a certain design in mind (functional or not) and are definitely going to be pissed/thrown off by the the way you placed a hard to move (if at all) component.

- It's fine to gather stuff on bulk, but not to destroy it. While you're taking down an entire side of the empty sheep pen to redesign it, someone might be catching a new lamb and come back to a now unusable and definitely not quick to repair structure. And it's ok if you want a bit of firewood and a log to make a cart, but you don't need to take down the entire forest just for that. Think about the poor soul that may search for a straight branch or a leaf in the next couple hours, and think about how much kindling could have been made from all of the other regrowing branches. Just remember: if it's renewable and doesn't go stale, pick it. If it's not, do so only if strictly necessary.

- Take care of your females: favor them doing the less risky jobs, and if things start looking bad then focus on a fairly young one and do your best to make them survive, at the cost of your life. Plus, as a general rule it's best to have few people that are likely to survive than a bunch of people who all eat a couple of things only to starve after three minutes. And as Auner said, adults can also go survive in the wild for a while, and I add that it can be a lifesaver to focus on finding wild bushes and bringing the berries back for the others, all while sustaining yourself only on those you find along the way.

- Be nice, be kind, and build connections. It may seem like a waste of time to stop and type, but an environment where people care for each other seems to be more likely to thrive. As an added bonus, you'll probably know who to trust in case of a griefer attack. But the main benefit of it is, without a doubt, the pleasant experience that you and the others will have, the memories you'll build, and the drive you'll gain to do better and better in each of your lives.

#4 2018-04-14 21:21:44

Joriom
Website

Just two cents from currently most hated person in the community:

• Plant wheat. A lot of it. Replace all carrots with it.

• Steal all the tools and food - make your own camp outside of the town. Never show it to anybody.

• Get knife and bow. Its fun. Trust me. Much fun. But wait untill most of the population starve to death. Just for safety. Oh, and target females first.

#5 2018-04-15 05:47:50

pein

kidnap kids and place them into sheep fence
shot anyone trying to save them
drop seeds to every empty tile, and watch them starve near the carrot basket
follow grannies and take their gear
give empty backpacks to kids with filled one, and skirts for fur
stab nakeds wandering further
when too many babies, take away pouches and fill bowls with grain
feed mushroom to everyone

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2018-04-15 09:09:50

Baker

1. Pick all the branches from trees and throw them on the ground nearby even if you don't need them yet so the trees can respawn more branches.

2. Be careful who you trust, especially if they ask you to follow them. Even if they aren't armed they might be leading you to an ambush spot, they probably have a weapon stashed behind a tree.

3. Never wear crowns unless you want to be targeted.

4.  If your civ has a steel file, hide it well.

5.  Name all your kids, If your an Eve give yourself a last name.

6.  Die on an empty tile but if you get shot while naked, die on farmland so they lose the arrow.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

Board footer