One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-12 04:37:47

Darcie

Rattle Snakes

Some rattle snake feedback

It would be nice if rattle snakes actually rattled to warn you.  A simple increase rattle sound on approach would be a possible solution.  This is what real life rattle snakes do.  It is their defining feature.  Right now I feel like I am walking into puff adders.

Pathfinding loves to force me into a rattlesnake.  At first I thought it was just if I landed on a spot with a snake and I wasn't seeing it, but after watching closely several times and getting better at spotting them, it looks like the path going through them is enough... that or it is lag, but if waling past a snake causes death, I don't think path finding is refined enough to support this as it is all to easy for an auto path to ram one into a snake that otherwise would be avoided, so land on tile would be better, imho.  Plus real snakes don't bite every time the path is crossed anyway.  If it was just a lot of lag, ignore this comment.

Is it just me or do the snakes read as berry bushes out of the corner of the eye.  I don't even know why I keep thinking that, they aren't even the same color, and yet, I always start to walk towards them when looking for berries and then feel the need to abort.  Just an odd observation.

I have twice now had what appeared to be a snake spawn right in front of me, but that could be my eyes... I die a lot to rattle snakes.

Other things I have noticed recently:

Currently, rabbit holes start in the non present state when they first load in, it would be nice if they spawned with the family state so eves are not required to run around doing nothing but initializing them so they can eventually be trapped in 10 minutes.

Currently, cacti start in the non fruit, non flower state.  It would be nice if they started in a random state or in the fruiting state so eves don't die everywhere they run if a desert is around.

Awesome work on the ground texture.  Love the snake despite what I mentioned above, Cacti fruit make lovely shoes, though I think without that little bug starting a new home may be a bit too difficult.  I have played a lot, it is a major challenge to get started now, WITH the food on feet bug.  I think adjusting the cacti to start with fruit could compensate for food on feet when you fix that.  (everyone who just got mad at me for telling him, he was bound to notice eventually, sorry).

It would be nice if Apocalypse was a bit less frequent.

Last edited by Darcie (2018-04-12 04:41:17)

#2 2018-04-12 04:51:45

Lily

Re: Rattle Snakes

That is a good point, rattlesnakes should rattle!

#3 2018-04-12 05:34:56

Drakulon

Agree, it would be very nice if they would rattle if you come near them.
Apocalypse is turned off for now.

#4 2018-04-12 06:58:26

pein

they do rattle but no ideea which direction

i die too many times when they hide behind trees, generally a small desert biome can spawn them, then they wonder into "safe biomes", worse than griefer attacks

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2018-04-12 07:33:14

TerraSleet

Yeah this is one of my least favourite parts of this game, the fact that when exploring at any point you can run into a rattlesnake hiding behind a tree or a wolf running in front of you and it's impossible to react to it in time because of the tiny viewing area and fast movement speed.

It feels much worse when you're hauling a cart to a far away location to gather berries, milkweed etc and a wolf slams into you from offscreen, not only are you suddenly dead but your village just lost a lot of expensive resources. It just feels like a cheap way to die because there's no way to avoid it aside from walking only east-west and walking unreasonably slow.

IMO these threats should either not instantly kill you (injured state requiring a splint or disinfectant or something) or the view distance should change which would also solve a lot of other problems.

#6 2018-04-12 08:07:43

Aurora Aurora

I always die trying to kill those fuckers. I WANT MY REVENGE

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#7 2018-04-12 08:11:38

breezeknight

hiding behind trees is what's making me avoid trees in general if i can only help it

i was once even killed by a wolf hiding behind trees

i also walk rather slowly if gathering,
several times in the past i died walking carelessly fast & not able anymore to react to a predator

the rattling rattle snakes would be a nice feature
you should suggest it here https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggestions/

#8 2018-04-12 10:39:48

pein

well i zigzag and wolf and bear cant touch me in general but snake is like a rock. and popping up in screen sometimes makes me go toward not away

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2018-04-12 11:22:43

Joriom
Website

Snakes are problematic only if you're careless. They actually RUN AWAY from you just like wolves do. I tested it out as Eve out of boredom during 111 gen run. You can stad one or two tiles away from snake/wolf and it will move away from you every single time. You can even use that to grieff by driving wolves/snakes into towns on purpose. Or, you can have pet snake it you trap it with items just like gateless sheep pen works.

#10 2018-04-12 15:16:12

bread_lord

Darcie wrote:

Pathfinding loves to force me into a rattlesnake.  At first I thought it was just if I landed on a spot with a snake and I wasn't seeing it, but after watching closely several times and getting better at spotting them, it looks like the path going through them is enough... that or it is lag, but if waling past a snake causes death, I don't think path finding is refined enough to support this as it is all to easy for an auto path to ram one into a snake that otherwise would be avoided, so land on tile would be better, imho.  Plus real snakes don't bite every time the path is crossed anyway.  If it was just a lot of lag, ignore this comment.

If you and a motionless hostile animal occupy the same tile then you are killed.  Yep, pathing through a snake's resting tile would do it (unless, again, it is moving around).  A semi-related trick is that animals cannot land on tiles occupied by items, so if you ever need to be idle somewhere in bear country it's possible to avoid getting mauled by standing on the same tile as your basket or cart or whatever. 

Darcie wrote:

It would be nice if Apocalypse was a bit less frequent.

Apocalypses have been disabled for now.

Last edited by bread_lord (2018-04-12 15:18:12)

Discord: weasel_bread#2656

#11 2018-04-12 15:24:20

pein

Joriom wrote:

Snakes are problematic only if you're careless. They actually RUN AWAY from you just like wolves do. I tested it out as Eve out of boredom during 111 gen run. You can stad one or two tiles away from snake/wolf and it will move away from you every single time. You can even use that to grieff by driving wolves/snakes into towns on purpose. Or, you can have pet snake it you trap it with items just like gateless sheep pen works.

the nursery i want xD

or just a 4 fence pen, or a maze run with snake bear and one exit with filled thrash pit, titty milk for the winner xD

#12 2018-04-12 15:37:28

Lily

Joriom wrote:

Snakes are problematic only if you're careless.

Well that is often for some people. They are small and if it is hiding between a tree and you run by, there is a decent chance you don't see it. After all people do the same thing with wolves and wolves are much larger.

Personally, when I see these animals I try to kill them all so my children don't end up dying by accident.

#13 2018-04-12 15:47:04

bread_lord

Lily wrote:

Personally, when I see these animals I try to kill them all so my children don't end up dying by accident.

And as a bonus you can turn them into very fashionable boots!

Discord: weasel_bread#2656

#14 2018-04-12 15:58:21

Ka

I think that both snakes and wolves are fine, even if I also died to them without having time to avoid them. It's just another part of life simulation; it felt real and was thought-provoking, although incredibly sad.
And before someone points it out: to me, it doesn't matter if real-life wolves and snakes would not attack without a fair provocation, because there are other animals who would. We just don't have them in the game right now, because it's not completed yet, and I'm pretty sure that Jason would add those eventually. Even if it's the wrong animal causing the experience, it's the experience itself that counts, and the feelings and insights it brings.

#15 2018-04-12 15:59:26

Ka

Lily wrote:

And this is a nice thing to come out of all this.

Board footer