One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-15 22:49:39

Uncreative Guy

Idea on how to make the Translator Fam more useful

A few months ago, one of the biggest changes in OHOL was made, homezone.  This essentially banished all four races to their own towns with their own families.  The four races are the desert experts, the jungle experts, the arctic experts, and the translators.  The three biome experts are needed to support each other by getting each other resources from their respective biomes to improve their towns and keep their wells producing water.  This is the trade that Jason wanted.  However, one race has been left out of this trade and necessity to be kept alive, the translator fam.

The translators don't have their own biome, making them somewhat disabled when it comes to doing any well upgrading, arguably the most important feature in the game.  The translator fam has nothing to offer when it comes to trading to improve wells and towns.  This leads to them not being seen as a priority to be kept alive, and are usually left to die if their town becomes too far away from others to reasonably walk to.  Sudden Infant Deaths are also common in translator towns because many people want to be able to do something with an expert biome, whether it be grabbing latex, sulfur, or crude oil, or farming mangoes, taming horses, or fishing.  The lack of their own waystone also means that its up to the translators themselves to find other fams and take their resources with nothing to offer back but a conversation explaining where their town is for someone to hopefully come back with and make a map to for future generations to hopefully help.  The translators aren't fully useless; they can understand all other families' languages immediately, without having to go through a multi-generational process.  The language barrier can be beaten, however, by using pencil and paper, radios, or simply sign language by grabbing your biome's items for a family, and then taking some of theirs.  The translator fam's only use comes from them being in the right place at the right time to maybe translate a conversation between a desert and arctic expert if they are hanging around a town.

My proposal is to make the translator fam not have a home area, and instead be able to live in others' towns and have children.  This way, they can always be in the right place at the right time.  If an arctic expert walks into the desert expert town that a translator woman decided to stay and have her kids in, the translators are already there to make communication easier on both sides.  This could also work the other way around, as well.  Maybe the desert fam doesn't have any translators, than the arctic expert can bring a translator with them, who can then stay and have her children there.  This solves the issue of having a near-useless and unfindable family.  With this, the translators wouldn't have to be charity that other races give their things to, and instead can be heavily relied on members of the community that can live off of other towns, in exchange for helping keep the peace between others and making trading much more efficient, which is a good trade in it of itself!

I’m not creative enough to make a creative signature which explains my noncreative nickname of Uncreative Guy.

#2 2020-08-15 23:47:25

DestinyCall

Re: Idea on how to make the Translator Fam more useful

Does anyone actually enjoy acting as a translator?

I'm not a fan, personally.

#3 2020-08-16 02:37:11

wondible

One thought I had a while ago was to make them the only ones with a waystone. Everybody else would come there to trade and make waystones back to their towns.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#4 2020-08-16 03:55:26

Guy

One potentially controversial suggestion I have is to remove the translating properties of paper and radios. Paper is accessible to every race and using them to trade is a common practice.

I can't understand written Chinese anymore then spoken Chinese. It's still Chinese, Neither do I hear fluent english If I'm on the phone with them. You could take it a step further and remove language learning entirely so only the whites can trade effectively.

Last edited by Guy (2020-08-16 03:56:55)

#5 2020-08-16 06:42:20

pein

I said 'give back my paver' he said to them to give back my paper. you can't fix idiots

other  time, a ginger needed 5 minutes to be convinced to come with us, then she made a fire in the ice and left us

if peeople can't do it they won't do it, if they  can do it, they need no translation

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2020-08-17 19:32:31

Spoonwood

This would increase expectations on whites only, namely to serve as translators for other families.

Expectations uniquely placed on a particular class of people create an inequality of expectation, in that such a class has more responsibilities (for that particular thing of which they get expected to do) than people not in that class.

Thus, "making whites useful" would just increase the amount of racism already present in game.  It would increase the inequality of expectation placed on players, not on the basis of skill level, but on the basis of their race.

No, I don't agree with increasing the amount of racism in game.  So, no, whites should not be made "useful", like they are some sort of tools.

Racism in the game should just end.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-08-17 19:32:43)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#7 2020-08-17 21:34:50

Guy

Spoonwood wrote:

This would increase expectations on whites only, namely to serve as translators for other families.

Expectations uniquely placed on a particular class of people create an inequality of expectation, in that such a class has more responsibilities (for that particular thing of which they get expected to do) than people not in that class.

Thus, "making whites useful" would just increase the amount of racism already present in game.  It would increase the inequality of expectation placed on players, not on the basis of skill level, but on the basis of their race.

No, I don't agree with increasing the amount of racism in game.  So, no, whites should not be made "useful", like they are some sort of tools.

I suppose as a spoon, You can relate.

#8 2020-08-17 22:38:56

Spoonwood

Guy wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Is spoon ever a racist slur?  Or are you just making a joke?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#9 2020-08-18 05:32:45

Guy

Spoonwood wrote:
Guy wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Is spoon ever a racist slur?  Or are you just making a joke?

Making a joke, Spoon is a sort of a tool.

Board footer