One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-07-10 16:58:04

MsBee
Member
Registered: 2018-06-16
Posts: 4

Re: Update: Curses

So, if John Smith has five curse points and then someone names a new baby John Smith, can we continue cursing the first John Smith or are we now cursing the new John Smith?

Offline

#27 2018-07-10 17:21:57

sc0rp
Member
Registered: 2018-05-25
Posts: 738

Re: Update: Curses

MsBee wrote:

So, if John Smith has five curse points and then someone names a new baby John Smith, can we continue cursing the first John Smith or are we now cursing the new John Smith?

Oldest one, but it will change soon:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 914#p22914

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-07-10 17:22:33)

Offline

#28 2018-07-10 19:57:54

Thecolorthursday
Member
From: Massachusetts
Registered: 2018-03-11
Posts: 14

Re: Update: Curses

What's with all the small updates?

Offline

#29 2018-07-10 20:45:38

Kinrany
Member
Registered: 2018-01-22
Posts: 177

Re: Update: Curses

What's wrong with small updates?
(Not a rhetorical question.  For example, it would be annoying to get an email about every bug fix.)

Offline

#30 2018-07-10 20:55:47

Turnipseed
Member
From: Texas, Greatest Country Ever
Registered: 2018-04-05
Posts: 495

Re: Update: Curses

Thecolorthursday wrote:

What's with all the small updates?

He is trying to adress issues many players are having. Such as a steep learning curve, and players griefing.

Plus when you see the updates remember jason is a one man show, and ine of the few developers willing to take the time to explain his ideas, adress our concerns, and listen to us like we matter.

Hes doing alot for us daily beyond updates


Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

Online

#31 2018-07-11 03:33:41

Noetato
Member
Registered: 2018-07-03
Posts: 7

Re: Update: Curses

Any update is better than none at all! That is why I love this game. Something new always happens and it nice to explore new content.


Add Snails

Offline

#32 2018-07-11 22:39:38

JeanLeClaire
Member
Registered: 2018-07-10
Posts: 2

Re: Update: Curses

Thank you for the advice, but it is finally up and running. I checked the other forums and found that I had to just sit and wait patiently. It took half an hour but it was fine. Your advice would've been my next step. Thanks again smile


"The highest art form of all is a human being in control of himself and his airplane in flight, urging the spirit of the machine to match his own." – Richard Bach This quote seems to be made for my belief that a deep connection can be formed between art, living, and flying somewhere above the clouds. On a quest to a better self, becoming a pilot, and furthering my love of art.

Offline

#33 2018-07-16 17:19:58

TerraSleet
Member
Registered: 2018-03-17
Posts: 17

Re: Update: Curses

There's a problem with this system - you cannot type "curse x" if you are too young and their name is too long. This is especially a problem with long names that end up with only people age 20 and above able to curse griefers. This has led to a "meta" where griefers find foraging kids and teenagers and kill them while they're far away from camp because they can't be cursed.

Simple fix - allow "curse x" to apply over multiple sentences. So if an 8 year old gets griefed by, say, Isabella Thompson they can type "curse" "isabella" "thompson". Alternatively, a player can just say "curse" and a UI pops up letting you type in the full name regardless of character limit.

Last edited by TerraSleet (2018-07-16 17:31:41)

Offline

#34 2018-07-16 19:28:29

Veaotch
Member
Registered: 2018-07-11
Posts: 4

Re: Update: Curses

Am I missing something? How does this prevent griefing? They can still grief, right? Now they get a cool inverted text bubble? Big whoop. They need to be banned to a hell server.

Offline

#35 2018-07-16 23:46:55

jasonrohrer
Administrator
Registered: 2017-02-13
Posts: 1,106

Re: Update: Curses

It doesn't prevent griefing.  Nothing does.

The only way to deal with griefing is after the fact.  Everyone in the village curses them, and they will be born marked for many hours afterward.

If you keep marked babies and help them survive, well, you're asking for it.  It's worse for them than a hell server.  Living hell.

Regarding being too young to curse...  If you remember their name, you can still curse them in your next life, once you grow up to be old enough to say their name.  Just write their name down.

Cursing has no distance limit.  As long as they are on the same server as you, and you curse them less than two hours after they were born, you're good.

Offline

#36 2018-07-16 23:52:42

Veaotch
Member
Registered: 2018-07-11
Posts: 4

Re: Update: Curses

Have you played in a large village? You usually can't tell if a baby remains mute.

Also, have you played as a cursed player to see that it is as hellish as you intended? It's pretty easy to make it without speaking.

Last edited by Veaotch (2018-07-17 00:21:16)

Offline

#37 2018-07-17 14:13:14

TerraSleet
Member
Registered: 2018-03-17
Posts: 17

Re: Update: Curses

I just recently ran into a character that wanted to be cursed. As a kid he kept asking to be cursed, until he found a knife at which point he started threatening people with it in order to be cursed. While I explained to him what would happen if he was cursed, he said he "wants the black text" and that "he just won't talk until he's four" at which point he'll be the "demon-child of the town".

There definitely needs to be a proper punishment for being cursed. Right now it just functions as a "griefer badge" and that is even giving some people an incentive to grief - they get to be the notorious bad guy or as this character said, "the demon-child". It's also somewhat punishing for new players as the inverted color text doesn't make it immediately apparent that they're a griefer and they'll be raised by new players anyway, only for them to get griefed. Not a good first time experience for sure.

Offline

#38 2018-07-17 23:14:48

jasonrohrer
Administrator
Registered: 2017-02-13
Posts: 1,106

Re: Update: Curses

Well, the idea is that I'm not trying to hand the perfect solution to you.  I'm not trying to solve the problem for you.  I want you to solve the problem, given the tools that I put in the game.

"What does a black speech bubble mean?"

"What does a mute baby mean?"

These are all things that new players can learn.  It's part of the culture of the game.

A griefer isn't "automatically punished" by the game.  It's up to you to curse them (to decide what you consider to be griefing), and up to you how you treat them after they are marked.


I could add some special sound when a cursed baby is born.  Maybe I'll do that.  But you'll still have to know what the sound means.

You could imagine searching the village and making every baby speak after hearing the sound.

Offline

#39 2018-07-18 11:11:32

Cocoduf
New User
Registered: 2018-07-18
Posts: 3

Re: Update: Curses

Why not make their face very ugly or something like that ? So it becomes a constant visual clue

Offline

#40 2018-07-18 13:24:31

starving_eve
New User
From: US
Registered: 2018-07-18
Posts: 5

Re: Update: Curses

Similarly, how about a mark on their forehead? Like a "scarlet letter" on their head that is easily identifiable.


sorry kid no food

Offline

#41 2018-07-19 00:41:07

jasonrohrer
Administrator
Registered: 2017-02-13
Posts: 1,106

Re: Update: Curses

Marks on the head are hard.... I have 6 different skin tones implemented, and some are very dark.

I should probably have something show up when you mouse-over them as well.

Offline

#42 2018-07-28 09:11:38

Dawn
Member
Registered: 2018-03-17
Posts: 11

Re: Update: Curses

InSpace wrote:

I think there should be a way to see who got out of the tutorial area, because then I would know that player can craft big_smile

I agree, like a code on the signs in the end area or something that babies can say when they're born.

Offline

#43 2018-07-30 01:13:53

LaughAtlantis
Member
Registered: 2018-06-23
Posts: 66

Re: Update: Curses

jasonrohrer wrote:

Regarding being too young to curse...  If you remember their name, you can still curse them in your next life, once you grow up to be old enough to say their name.  Just write their name down.

If they don't have last names in the life before, it's a little rough to just yell "Curse April" in your next life...

I feel like there should be some changes to gameplay once you're wounded.

1) Wounded players shouldn't be able to have babies.  You're basically screwing the babies in many circumstances (I can't count how many times I've been born to an Eve with a snake bite, or vice versa).
2) Wounded players should have the ability to make longer statements.  Thus: they should be able to do full curses.  THIS could help with baby-killers.


Yes, I play with a baby name book next to me. What of it?

Offline

#44 2018-08-12 20:08:29

AltyBagU
Member
Registered: 2018-08-12
Posts: 19

Re: Update: Curses

You should also add to that system for a perma-ban. Like if you get cursed too many times within a month or so in different life's you will be perma banned. I know mistakes could happen and I don't want people to get banned over something dumb but if your very consistent on ruining people's games then it's very obvious why you got this game.

Offline

#45 2018-08-12 20:48:52

carbon
Member
Registered: 2018-08-09
Posts: 43

Re: Update: Curses

AltyBagU wrote:

You should also add to that system for a perma-ban. Like if you get cursed too many times within a month or so in different life's you will be perma banned. I know mistakes could happen and I don't want people to get banned over something dumb but if your very consistent on ruining people's games then it's very obvious why you got this game.

I dislike that idea. I think mitigating griefers is one of the fun part of the game. Relying on too much meta-game functions would ruin the premise of the game: a community simulator. We just need to come up with better strategies for contingency plans because a large town will inevitably be massacred by a griefer.

Offline

#46 2018-08-12 21:29:35

AltyBagU
Member
Registered: 2018-08-12
Posts: 19

Re: Update: Curses

carbon wrote:
AltyBagU wrote:

You should also add to that system for a perma-ban. Like if you get cursed too many times within a month or so in different life's you will be perma banned. I know mistakes could happen and I don't want people to get banned over something dumb but if your very consistent on ruining people's games then it's very obvious why you got this game.

I dislike that idea. I think mitigating griefers is one of the fun part of the game. Relying on too much meta-game functions would ruin the premise of the game: a community simulator. We just need to come up with better strategies for contingency plans because a large town will inevitably be massacred by a griefer.

Griefers don't make the game. If you plan to just do your best on ruining other peoples game continuously then it's obvious the curse system is failing at that point. So you want nothing to happen and let the problem grow, I see is as cancer and what do you do with cancer? you kill it and not just kill half of it and say I think the cancer learned it's lesson so let it be. Sometimes extreme measures is needed for extreme situations but to be honest if this was in effect I think it would be more of a deterrent and a very small handful if any at all would actually be banned.

Offline

#47 2018-08-12 22:46:42

carbon
Member
Registered: 2018-08-09
Posts: 43

Re: Update: Curses

AltyBagU wrote:

Griefers don't make the game. If you plan to just do your best on ruining other peoples game continuously then it's obvious the curse system is failing at that point. So you want nothing to happen and let the problem grow, I see is as cancer and what do you do with cancer? you kill it and not just kill half of it and say I think the cancer learned it's lesson so let it be. Sometimes extreme measures is needed for extreme situations but to be honest if this was in effect I think it would be more of a deterrent and a very small handful if any at all would actually be banned.

They don't make the game, but it's inevitable in a game about community -- it's not a utopia simulator, mind you. If all the griefers are removed, then what's the point in having a killing mechanic in the first place?

Honestly, the griefers are doing a much better job than the non-griefers at figuring out creative ways to exploit the game. I'm sure there are ways to combat griefers that we're not utilizing because people are too busy whining about analogies like cancer (it's not, mind you, just a handful of people that keep doing the same thing over and over again, not an exponentially growing number of griefers).?

Offline

#48 2018-08-13 15:32:28

jasonrohrer
Administrator
Registered: 2017-02-13
Posts: 1,106

Re: Update: Curses

Yeah, there's also no way to permanently kill the "cancer" of crime in real life.  It keeps following us, century after century, world-wide, no matter what cure we try to employ.

It is in fact one of the great challenges of civilization.  The greatest wars in history have been fought over it.

Offline

#49 2018-08-13 18:24:12

AltyBagU
Member
Registered: 2018-08-12
Posts: 19

Re: Update: Curses

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yeah, there's also no way to permanently kill the "cancer" of crime in real life.  It keeps following us, century after century, world-wide, no matter what cure we try to employ.

It is in fact one of the great challenges of civilization.  The greatest wars in history have been fought over it.

Oh crime? I know the easy solution to reducing it as much as possible and that's to give everyone a gun. There will always be more good guys then bad and who is going to rob you when they know you have a gun? It's a fantastic deterrent. But giving everyone a knife in this game would cause it to become COD just because there is no punishment system. At least in real life if you die there is no respawning... Just everything goes dark and that's it and no one wants that.

This game still beta so there is bound to be mishaps and whatnot. If you like just put the banning idea on the back burner and come back later if there is need for it.

Cheers~

Offline

#50 2018-08-13 19:16:13

carbon
Member
Registered: 2018-08-09
Posts: 43

Re: Update: Curses

AltyBagU wrote:

Oh crime? I know the easy solution to reducing it as much as possible and that's to give everyone a gun. There will always be more good guys then bad and who is going to rob you when they know you have a gun? It's a fantastic deterrent. But giving everyone a knife in this game would cause it to become COD just because there is no punishment system. At least in real life if you die there is no respawning... Just everything goes dark and that's it and no one wants that.

This game still beta so there is bound to be mishaps and whatnot. If you like just put the banning idea on the back burner and come back later if there is need for it.

Cheers~

Having new weapons won't be a deterrent, it's a game so griefers aren't THAT heavily invested in their lives to care about death. I agree that the respawn/reincarnation system puts this apart from the real world. A powerful mechanic like that needs something equal to balance it. Is cursing strong enough to offset it? I don't know.

Although I do find the punishment system to be pretty intriguing as a concept. Maybe something like an atonement system? But who'll be the one to decide the extent of the punishment/the moral laws in a society: the game system or the players? Who makes the rules? I think the players should have the power to decide that, not the system.

In the game, I was born in a city where they killed all males. In the real-life moral system, that's outrageous (although a certain country did something similar before with a one-child policy in the past), but in the game, if the majority agrees on this, wouldn't it be the accepted rule, therefore morally just in the closed system?

This is why having less of the moral system imposed by the game mechanics are for the best. So the bias isn't from the developer, but from the players building the society.

Last edited by carbon (2018-08-13 19:18:17)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB