One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-12-18 14:59:00

JonySky
Member
From: Catalunya
Registered: 2018-05-13
Posts: 674
Website

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

Dodge wrote:

If the game is not good players leave, it's as simple as that.

the game is not good because it is racist (and boring)

Offline

#27 2020-12-18 18:39:09

Léonard
Member
Registered: 2019-01-05
Posts: 189

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

JonySky wrote:

Maybe what you think of as: "fucking dumb" for the rest of the players is not ...

No, it's definitely a retarded over-generalization.

I didn't stop playing because "muh racism", I stopped because, as Dodge said, the game was getting bad.
Ironically, the people that seem most bothered by this are those who keep playing this dead game...

Offline

#28 2020-12-18 19:05:23

DestinyCall
Member
Registered: 2018-12-08
Posts: 4,428

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

Pretty sure the people who were most bothered by the racist undertones left about a year ago and haven't come back.   People are still talking about it because the situation has not improved or really changed in that time.

I don't think biome restrictions are single-handedly ruining the game, but they are not helping.  Largely because they were poorly designed and essentially not balanced at all, failed to achieve their stated objective AND restrict options in an unintuitive and unenjoyable way.   The racism thing just adds insult to injury.

Offline

#29 2020-12-18 20:15:27

Dodge
Member
Registered: 2018-08-27
Posts: 2,453

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

Even presented in front of the evidence some people cant accept it, sad...

Offline

#30 2020-12-18 20:18:16

Spoonwood
Member
Registered: 2019-02-06
Posts: 4,000

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

Dodge wrote:

Spoon nobody cares about your nitpicking

There Dodge goes again attacking someone by trying to discount their existence.  I care, and I exist.  So, Dodge's comment here is merely an attack trying to silence someone by making it seem as if they don't exist.

Dodge wrote:

Also: "As for Dodge's comments he doesn't even provide the source of his quotation."

I literally said "a quick google search "where does black skin come from" results in:"

So again you're wrong or being anal either way not interesting.

Google searches are not constant over time.  A google search is not a source, as the specific website doesn't get referenced.

Offline

#31 2020-12-18 20:56:46

Dodge
Member
Registered: 2018-08-27
Posts: 2,453

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

Spoonwood wrote:

There Dodge goes again attacking someone by trying to discount their existence.  I care, and I exist.  So, Dodge's comment here is merely an attack trying to silence someone by making it seem as if they don't exist.

Oh no everybody knows that you exist on this forum, you make it very clear.

I was referencing your nitpicking or finding details that are irrelevant and believing that pointing those out makes your point valid when in reality it doesn't bring anything interesting.

"They only get restricted when a server has at least 15 players on it. "

So what? When i'm talking about biome restriction everybody knows what i'm talking about and obviously it's not a one by one copy accurate with the real world.

"And race restrictions aren't mirroring evolutionary adaptations in the real world."

It's a fucking game

It's loosely based on it not an exact copy, everyone understands that when i say "that's what biome restriction is recreating"

But you always have to nitpick and find small details, use your common sense and stop being annoying.

Offline

#32 2020-12-18 22:02:08

pein
Member
Registered: 2018-03-31
Posts: 4,293

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

Egg-shaped and stick legs, looks more like hairy jelly beans to me. I don't care about racist implications that much, but as a gameplay mechanic is surely weird. Imagine the game was released with it, it would have been confusing and boring right off the bat, I don't think I would have played it. New players just got to accept it and wrap their mind around it. Some things were balanced at the start, lvl 0 techs, level 1, you see some advancement, then nothing. You can call wells advanced tech, horses, maybe even cars, but the way some of them works is more of a fancy toy with no purpose. The biomes are also unbalanced, items belonged to a tech tree and now is split into multiple, kinda weird you can have cows but can't kill them so cowpiss is biome locked race locked item. Especially now with pavers was hella weird trying to explain that I need their cowpiss to advance humanity.
And even if you want to draw a comparison IRL vs these jelly beans, not like you can't step in a jungle or go to Alaska, it's just you are not used to it, might be slower or less effective but not impossible. And that's the problem with balancing, items in biomes are not the same category, not even number or value, Jason just made a few items randomly. There are no equivalent items in other biomes, there is no predefined value, minimum value, conversion rate, safe way to trade without locking up both camps, no way to go back to the same camp to keep value. Trade failed because no gameplay reason to do it. IF you need all races and all items, no reason not to share, maybe just a dumb roleplay from players who don't see the big picture.


https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Offline

#33 2020-12-18 22:11:13

Dodge
Member
Registered: 2018-08-27
Posts: 2,453

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

pein wrote:

IF you need all races and all items, no reason not to share

Very true and that's one of the main issue with the current system, instead of having a choice it's an obligation.

Offline

#34 2020-12-18 22:26:00

Spoonwood
Member
Registered: 2019-02-06
Posts: 4,000

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

Dodge wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

There Dodge goes again attacking someone by trying to discount their existence.  I care, and I exist.  So, Dodge's comment here is merely an attack trying to silence someone by making it seem as if they don't exist.

Oh no everybody knows that you exist on this forum, you make it very clear.

I was referencing your nitpicking or finding details that are irrelevant and believing that pointing those out makes your point valid when in reality it doesn't bring anything interesting.

"They only get restricted when a server has at least 15 players on it. "

So what?

It's restriction on the basis of race, not biome.  Whites make for the clearest example, since they don't have any biomes that they can access objects in that other races cannot. 

Also, lack of clear language indicates a lack of caring about accuracy.

"And race restrictions aren't mirroring evolutionary adaptations in the real world."

Dodge wrote:

It's loosely based on it not an exact copy, everyone understands that when i say "that's what biome restriction is recreating"

Race restrictions are not based on such at all.  Again, 15 players come as needed for the restrictions to apply.  That doesn't mirror evolution at all.  Neither does non-whites not being able to understand other families languages.

Dodge wrote:

But you always have to nitpick and find small details, use your common sense and stop being annoying.

I have been using my common sense.  Stop lying Dodge.

Offline

#35 2020-12-19 01:46:33

Legs
Member
Registered: 2019-07-12
Posts: 376

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

I think that the engine was and will be the peak of development for this game. When it went from weekly updates staying one step ahead of the player to weird and sadistic experimentation. Jason is a game developer and all the wacky updates like rift, biome locks, homelands etc have been primarily learning experiences for him as a developer. I'm sure he cares to improve the game through them but that's secondary to learning about design and mechanics. The game was released, it had been out for like a year by the time the engine came around, time to start experimenting. Any extra sales during that time are just icing on the cake.


Loco Motion

Offline

#36 2020-12-19 04:05:49

WumboJumbo
Member
From: Massachusetts
Registered: 2018-08-09
Posts: 94

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

Dodge wrote:

Spoon nobody cares about your nitpicking

Also: "As for Dodge's comments he doesn't even provide the source of his quotation."

I literally said "a quick google search "where does black skin come from" results in:"

So again you're wrong or being anal either way not interesting.

Wow Dodge! You have a PhD degree from Google? Forget ethics! It is just a game.

Last edited by WumboJumbo (2020-12-19 04:06:46)

Offline

#37 2020-12-19 05:08:53

Dodge
Member
Registered: 2018-08-27
Posts: 2,453

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

WumboJumbo wrote:

Wow Dodge! You have a PhD degree from Google? Forget ethics! It is just a game.

What's your problem? If you dont want to talk about the topic just fuck off.

Legs wrote:

I think that the engine was and will be the peak of development for this game. When it went from weekly updates staying one step ahead of the player to weird and sadistic experimentation. Jason is a game developer and all the wacky updates like rift, biome locks, homelands etc have been primarily learning experiences for him as a developer. I'm sure he cares to improve the game through them but that's secondary to learning about design and mechanics.

Yes i still think he cares enough about making the game truly great to the point where he would be willing to scrap bad ideas even if he invested a lot of time in them, but each time he sinks more effort into a bad mechanic gives the impression that this mechanic will stay for good.

Offline

#38 2020-12-19 06:04:47

NoTruePunk
Member
Registered: 2019-01-25
Posts: 321

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

DestinyCall wrote:

Plus, I am not a fan of systemic racism and magical bullshit.

Racist magic

Offline

#39 2020-12-19 06:17:01

DestinyCall
Member
Registered: 2018-12-08
Posts: 4,428

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

Magical racism and systemic bullshit.

Offline

#40 2020-12-19 09:57:49

Morti
Member
Registered: 2018-04-06
Posts: 1,313

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

pein wrote:

i still think predefined teams would work better than this race stuff, even a goal that makes you a bit more likely to be selfish toward your family
if the trade is the goal it failed hard.  mainly because there is no defence to theft.

I don't like the map either, it's nice that is procedurally generated but nothing has a value then there is no gameplay reason to stick with a town. imagine zones with a central mine, could be iron, water, even clay. A town with infinite clay would do a different playstyle than a town with infinite water. Not infinite but a possibility to be way higher than others. OFC it would need item values and such, and semi-automated markets.
Maybe a way to do the same result with different paths. As for limiting tech, could be linked to the family tech tree and not skin colour. You would have 3 high tech options to choose from and it will always be that for your family. That would more likely make your town valuable and your choice more adaptive.

i Love how you capitalize the first letter of every sentence, except, the first.

Remember the backpack?

Good to see you, pein.

Offline

#41 2020-12-19 10:20:29

Morti
Member
Registered: 2018-04-06
Posts: 1,313

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

JonySky wrote:

we need a future development plan

We had a future development plan, 4 years ago.
10,000 objects in 2 years.

And what do we have now?
4,000 objects in 4 years?

Plans don't mean a thing without Tom Bailey, or someone else, cracking a real whip on Jason, and Jason doing the same on someone else. We are not enough for Jason. We're not real people in his mind, we're text. Users on his servers; sources of input, in HIS data.

He needs real friends, not comments, emails, posts, or anything delivered to him via Mercury.

Saturn needs a Jupiter, a Venus, and a Mars, to sit with him for awhile atop Olympus.

Or he's just going to be Jewish and pretend to himself, he can do everything.

--

When he and Tom went their ways on this project, he took on twice the responsibility, but he also took twice the stress, and it has exceeded his threshold for tolerance, time and time again. Yet he has come back; rebounded, time and time again.

And don't bitch about specific numbers, like 10k or 2, it's work divided by time, no matter what you choose for the variables.

You understand.
So does Jason.

All that matters is what he does.
Now, who are we, in the meantime?

Offline

#42 2020-12-19 10:34:53

Morti
Member
Registered: 2018-04-06
Posts: 1,313

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

3P7XJvx.png
My Little Pony had it all wrong,
it's racism that's magic.

And magic is just someone being dumb, while someone else takes advantage of the unknown.

But oh, wasn't it great to be a child?
Can't we just be naive, forever?
NO!
Grow up.

Grow up, down and all around.
Just stop pretending you are still just a naive little seed.

Offline

#43 2020-12-19 14:32:16

WumboJumbo
Member
From: Massachusetts
Registered: 2018-08-09
Posts: 94

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

Morti wrote:
JonySky wrote:

we need a future development plan

We had a future development plan, 4 years ago.
10,000 objects in 2 years.

And what do we have now?
4,000 objects in 4 years?

Plans don't mean a thing without Tom Bailey, or someone else, cracking a real whip on Jason, and Jason doing the same on someone else. We are not enough for Jason. We're not real people in his mind, we're text. Users on his servers; sources of input, in HIS data.

He needs real friends, not comments, emails, posts, or anything delivered to him via Mercury.

Saturn needs a Jupiter, a Venus, and a Mars, to sit with him for awhile atop Olympus.

Or he's just going to be Jewish and pretend to himself, he can do everything.

--

When he and Tom went their ways on this project, he took on twice the responsibility, but he also took twice the stress, and it has exceeded his threshold for tolerance, time and time again. Yet he has come back; rebounded, time and time again.

And don't bitch about specific numbers, like 10k or 2, it's work divided by time, no matter what you choose for the variables.

You understand.
So does Jason.

All that matters is what he does.
Now, who are we, in the meantime?

Wait, who is Tom Bailey?

Offline

#44 2020-12-19 14:35:21

WumboJumbo
Member
From: Massachusetts
Registered: 2018-08-09
Posts: 94

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

Morti wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/3P7XJvx.png
My Little Pony had it all wrong,
it's racism that's magic.

And magic is just someone being dumb, while someone else takes advantage of the unknown.

But oh, wasn't it great to be a child?
Can't we just be naive, forever?
NO!
Grow up.

Grow up, down and all around.
Just stop pretending you are still just a naive little seed.

You're one with words, Morti. smile

Dodge wrote:

What's your problem? If you dont want to talk about the topic just fuck off.

Are you going to tell the rest of the people in this thread to fuck off?

Offline

#45 2020-12-19 14:39:59

Morti
Member
Registered: 2018-04-06
Posts: 1,313

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

WumboJumbo wrote:

Wait, who is Tom Bailey?

Xh0DXPU.png

A man with eyes as beautiful, if not more so, than Jason's.

Offline

#46 2020-12-19 14:41:41

WumboJumbo
Member
From: Massachusetts
Registered: 2018-08-09
Posts: 94

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

Morti wrote:
WumboJumbo wrote:

Wait, who is Tom Bailey?

https://i.imgur.com/Xh0DXPU.png

A man with eyes as beautiful, if not more so, than Jason's.

I wonder what the game would be like at this moment if Tom Bailey was still here. Would it still be flourishing?

Maybe the trailer would've actually aged well (it is almost at 1,000,000 views)...
https://youtu.be/mT4JktcVQuE

Offline

#47 2020-12-19 14:43:41

Morti
Member
Registered: 2018-04-06
Posts: 1,313

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

WumboJumbo wrote:

I wonder what the game would be like at this moment if Tom Bailey was still here. Would it still be flourishing?

Is it flourishing now?

Offline

#48 2020-12-19 14:44:21

WumboJumbo
Member
From: Massachusetts
Registered: 2018-08-09
Posts: 94

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

Morti wrote:
WumboJumbo wrote:

I wonder what the game would be like at this moment if Tom Bailey was still here. Would it still be flourishing?

Is it flourishing now?

Well... no, not really Morti.

Offline

#49 2020-12-19 14:50:00

Morti
Member
Registered: 2018-04-06
Posts: 1,313

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

WumboJumbo wrote:

Well... no, not really Morti.

But at least it's something we can share, with each other, no matter how small a group we are.

Offline

#50 2020-12-19 14:53:05

WumboJumbo
Member
From: Massachusetts
Registered: 2018-08-09
Posts: 94

Re: Investing so much time and effort in something that everybody hates.

Morti wrote:
WumboJumbo wrote:

Well... no, not really Morti.

But at least it's something we can share, with each other, no matter how small a group we are.

Well, I guess so. Jason is the almighty ruler.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB