One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-11 17:29:28

Ruben

Some paved roads tweak suggestions

My first impressions from the new machine were awesome. Following the paver is a really fun alternative to road building, a game in itself where multiple players are clearing the road ahead, packed with different tools.

Some problems occurred though:

- Does the paver run indefinitely? Because it did so in the first iteration. After about two lives' length the server crashed, I'm not sure if that's correlated.
- Second time I used the paver (after the crash) it only ran for about a minute. Since I wasn't watching the paver at that time, someone could have turned it off by touching it. I don't really mind it running endlessly (or maybe cap it at about 300-500 tiles, rather than the time wasted?).
- If you can really turn this machine off just by touching it (and therefore wasting any materials put into it), players should not be able to stop the paver, its way too much of a grief. If tiles are capped, the item itself should have a lifetime counter relative to the number of tiles left that it can pave.
- Curves are not being recognized as such when auto-walking over them, so the player stops at those (but they appear as correct curves).
- There are still some obstacles that can't be removed, like bear caves. If the paver happens to run against those, there's no way to make it turn (inb4 "you could turn it off").
- If the paver runs into foreign territory, all you can do is find someone willing to help you out (kinda bad feeling after you already gathered all the necessary materials to even make it run).
- It's kind of weird how we need a full tank of crude oil to run this thing. I understand the paint and the gravel, but not the tank of crude oil (well, it's not a problem if this machine runs indefinetly).
- Also it's kind of weird and unintuitive how it starts going west in the beginning (I first wanted to go east - see the results for yourself)

Conclusion:
- Honestly it's much more fun to clear the road while the paver is running, rather than clearing it ahead of time.
- It should be placeable *on* a direction marker to set up its initial direction ("west" would not have an advantage, then)
- I was imagining for it to use much more gravel and paint, and much less crude oil (but then again, I'm not sure about it's lifecycle)
- Stopping something that was promised to run indefinitely simply by touch is a big nono for me. It basically makes me want hide the road construction and booby trap the machine from others, it's frustrating.

(EDIT) I also wouldn't mind for the paver to NOT run automatically. Once the direction would be set using the marker it's placed on, every touch would move the paver by one tile (considering you need to clear the road ahead first, this is enough automation in itself, no need to overdo it - we don't have self-running pavers IRL for a reason, correct me if I'm wrong).

(EDIT) OR at least make it stop one tile ahead of foreign terrain, waiting for a touch signal to go ahead. So you could always set a marker in front of it beforehand.

(EDIT) Scrap that idea about making it semi-automatic. I am just seeing the perks of building roads on terrain that you cannot enter normally.

Last edited by Ruben (2020-07-11 21:27:51)

#2 2020-07-11 17:51:26

Grim_Arbiter

Re: Some paved roads tweak suggestions

From my understanding, the paver will run forever like you stated. If you hit an object it will keep running and you can remove the object (if you can.. bear caves, ice holes, terry spots are immovable) or pull the bucket and stop the machine. It sounds like someone stopped it for you.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#3 2020-07-11 21:17:33

Ruben

And now it happened again, I couldn't let this thing slide for 3 Minutes, it got stopped again. People are just curious and touch it when they have the chance, not knowing they're wasting gravel, yellow paint and a whole tank of crude oil in the process.

#4 2020-07-11 21:24:11

fug

Ruben wrote:

And now it happened again, I couldn't let this thing slide for 3 Minutes, it got stopped again. People are just curious and touch it when they have the chance, not knowing they're wasting gravel, yellow paint and a whole tank of crude oil in the process.

Welcome to every plane makers life. You will either eventually learn to hide/lock them up or quit making pavers altogether.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#5 2020-07-11 21:32:45

Ruben

fug wrote:

Welcome to every plane makers life. You will either eventually learn to hide/lock them up or quit making pavers altogether.

It's not the same. I cant build my territory around a long road that is trying to connect two towns. I would lock it up if I could.
Considering how easy it is to get rid of the road (nobody would do that anyway, maybe for aesthetic reasons), I don't see the point in making this machine stop, especially when it's actually designed to run forever.

It's like your plane had a self destruct mode by touching its wings instead of its tires.

#6 2020-07-11 21:37:48

Grim_Arbiter

Gotta yeet it halfway out of the village for it to keep running haha. Clear a path, and then make and use it. If it's not 100 to 200 tiles away expect prying hands on anything and everything.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#7 2020-07-11 21:41:09

Ruben

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Gotta yeet it halfway out of the village for it to keep running haha. Clear a path, and then make and use it. If it's not 100 to 200 tiles away expect prying hands on anything and everything.

Someone will find the "new road". And when they find it, they also find the running thingy at the end of it, and they also touch it. You cant hide a road, no matter how far away.

#8 2020-07-11 21:52:18

Gomez

Good info was curious to how it functioned on resource consumption, thanks.

Last edited by Gomez (2020-07-11 21:52:34)

#9 2020-07-11 23:00:17

Grim_Arbiter

Ruben wrote:
Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Someone will find the "new road". And when they find it, they also find the running thingy at the end of it, and they also touch it. You cant hide a road, no matter how far away.

Oh yeah... didn't think about that hahaha

--Grim

#10 2020-07-11 23:09:14

Guy

Yeah, I was a ginger when blacks came to ask for help with paving. Honestly I don't the mind the collaboration, I did screw up by letting it go too far lol.

It was pretty cool to see a multiracial demolition crew. Definitely less monotonous then stone roads and no gaps!

#11 2020-07-12 02:47:01

wondible

Bad news: roads are created by an automatic movement, but only player actions are recorded in the maplogs. There was one paver started before the crash this morning, but no roads.

http://onemap.wondible.com/#x=-19521&y= … 1594476159

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#12 2020-07-12 03:24:46

Cogito

wondible wrote:

Bad news: roads are created by an automatic movement, but only player actions are recorded in the maplogs. There was one paver started before the crash this morning, but no roads.

So no way of know where the roads are? That is annoying, but probably not too hard for Jason to fix. Have you raised a bug?

#13 2020-07-15 15:37:29

Ruben

wondible wrote:

http://onemap.wondible.com/#x=-19521&y= … 1594476159

Technically, you could deduce the road by the time paving started, how arrow markers were put and the time and location it stopped.

It's not 100% case safe but veeery accurate (trace back the paving path after it stopped, if there exists a branching point during traceback, calculate both and take the first path that leads to the starting point).

Last edited by Ruben (2020-07-15 16:11:45)

Board footer