One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-29 17:40:22

Arcurus

How to improve early baby interactions

Thought this topic could be interesting for more:

How could we improve the interaction between baby and mother / how could we generally make the early life more exiting?

jasonrohrer-github wrote:

The problem with only losing a pip when they actually eat (the game NEVER worked this way, by the way) is that then you can "spam feed" a baby with no consequences.

The goal (and I know we're really far away from that still) is to create a sort of "dance" between mother and child, where communication between them really matters, and there's no way to "brute force" the feeding to make communication unnecessary.

Before this change, people still lost a pip on every pick-up, whether or not the baby needed food or not. The difference, before, was that you'd almost always feed them something, because if you let 10 or so seconds go by, they'd probably need at least 1 food. Yes, this was still wasteful (1 mother pip for 1 or 2 baby pips, whereas through communication, you could trade 1 mother pip for 5 or 6 baby pips), but at least it worked to keep a baby fed.

So what most parents did was just pick up the baby constantly, even if the baby didn't F.

Babies could (and did) just go AFK for 3 minutes. I know that I felt that way myself whenever I was a baby. I'd actually switch to a web browser and do something else for 3 minutes sometimes... that sucked.

Now babies actually need to communicate to their mother, because spam feeding doesn't work at all.

All that said, I'm not at all satisfied with how this works. However, I'm not going to just tear it out if there's not another system to replace it. Another system which makes "going AFK for 3 minutes as a baby" untenable.

One idea that has come up is some kind of early childhood teaching system. We've discussed the mother being able to help you "fill" extra tool slots or something by demonstrating things to you when you're a baby. But the problem there is that a mother will just "go through the motions" every life, spamming demos of a bunch of tools. It's hard to put my finger on it.... but there's something that doesn't feel right about that. It's low-skill or something.... like, how could you get better at it? Just spam more tool demos?

A new twist that I just thought of: maybe as a baby, you "crave" certain tools, one at a time, which are your natural tendencies or something. If you can get your mother to demo that tool for you, you learn it. Of course, you have very limited bandwidth to talk to her, so how do you quickly tell her which tool you crave? I dunno... this sounds like it would be a pain. But at least it would involve some mother-baby interaction.

That's what I'm looking for...

#2 2020-06-29 17:48:29

DestinyCall

Re: How to improve early baby interactions

Ah yes ... more reason for babies to try to talk to me one letter at a time.   That's what this game is missing.

#3 2020-06-29 17:49:58

Arcurus

My idea would be to give children something like a wooden sword where they can learn how to fight.

It works actually also right now already with babies being able to switch cloths with each other, had once a funny game with another child to catch the other and switch the mask to him. Was quite fun and you learn to predict where the other one is going....   Sadly normally others dont understand this play...

Its not a 100% solution, its just one way to bring more excitement in the early years and as positive effect they would learn how to fight as kids.

Maybe giving them the ability to move more stuff, but not allow to eat it or change it would be nice. so noobs could at least learn how to use backpack and stuff... and childs could at least little bit help their mothers by bringing small stuff or collecting berries...

by the way, a reduced 80% movement speed would also be great, so they cant run away that easily and just starve to death...

Looking forward to hear your ideas!

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-06-29 17:52:56)

#4 2020-06-29 17:51:22

Arcurus

DestinyCall wrote:

Ah yes ... more reason for babies to try to talk to me one letter at a time.   That's what this game is missing.

yes, i thate this F FF F FFFFFFFFf FF

at least they could cry instad of saying F F F.

Better give them instead of one letter just the ability to cry.

#5 2020-06-29 19:58:16

Coconut Fruit

Are first 3 years really that boring to people?
Surely they are more boring for vanilla players, I wonder what they think about those 3 minutes.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#6 2020-06-29 21:00:55

Arcurus

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Are first 3 years really that boring to people?
Surely they are more boring for vanilla players, I wonder what they think about those 3 minutes.

they are super boring....

what zoom players do?

Basically its mostly both mother and child sitting in a room around the fire and waiting... it only het more intersting if suddenly tons of players join and you have tons of babies popping out and you even dont know how much babies you had and run here and there to feed them all while starving yourself while a bear hunts you and a giefer wants to kill the town at same time, then it gets interesting...

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-06-29 21:04:01)

#7 2020-06-29 21:10:24

Dodge

Give them toys to play with

#8 2020-06-29 21:14:31

Gogo
Banned

Don't give them toys, give them chance to compete with other babies.

#9 2020-06-29 21:57:06

Guy

We could get a few more baby items.

Dummies to disable baby speech.

Prams to carry multiple babies like a cart.

More toys like the rubber ball. A toy car, doll, blocks. Mostly rp items for babies to interact with.

#10 2020-06-29 23:13:30

antking:]#

Gogo wrote:

Toy = competition

babies will fight for toys it they are available

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#11 2020-06-29 23:40:29

DestinyCall

Arcurus wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

yes, i thate this F FF F FFFFFFFFf FF

at least they could cry instad of saying F F F.

Better give them instead of one letter just the ability to cry.

I have no problem with F.

But I really hate trying to read a whole novel one letter at a time.

OHWOWIWASYOURUNCLESAMMYIDIEDOVERTHEREIHOPEYOUCRIEDALOTATMYFUNERALLOLCOULDYOUPLEASENAMEMESAMMYANDGIVEMEYOURHATLUVUHAHAHA

It drives me nuts.  I would rather drop Sammy on a fire and go back to farming than spend three minutes saying "please repeat?" and "Sorry, I didn't catch that.

Arcurus wrote:

Basically its mostly both mother and child sitting in a room around the fire and waiting... it only het more intersting if suddenly tons of players join and you have tons of babies popping out and you even dont know how much babies you had and run here and there to feed them all while starving yourself while a bear hunts you and a giefer wants to kill the town at same time, then it gets interesting...

You know Jason will read that and think "Of course!  The answer is so obvious."

Next Update - Childbirth attracts large packs of wolves.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-06-29 23:47:12)

#12 2020-06-29 23:42:05

DestinyCall

Gogo wrote:

Baby Bearena.   Two babies enter, one baby leave.

#13 2020-06-30 00:02:43

pein

I member I had a workmate who asked if children "toys" are legal because he only heard that word related to sex toys xD

not really a fan of anything that pre-determinates how you will play that life or anything that is a must-have buff but due to negligence you can't get it. that would just make you quit that life.

one interesting aspect of a game called "virtual villagers" was that kids could collect stuff others can't. it's a simulator where some people are on an island and have to survive. it's single-player and real-time so you can leave it on while sleeping and simulates the outcomes.
anyway, the kids can collect mushrooms to help with food. the second title features collectables. collecting shells, bugs, butterflies and pebbles. but this is more of an exploration thing so maybe it should be age 3-10.

as for games, I could imagine a ball that can be kicked semi-randomly and rebounds from the wall. we could make arenas for games.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2020-06-30 05:37:46

DestinyCall

toys and "learning toys" that you as a baby can touch would be the best option, I think.

It shouldn't be more work for the mother.  It should be more stuff to do as baby.

#15 2020-06-30 17:50:06

Dodge

Gogo wrote:

Yes send them in the arena

#16 2020-07-02 03:09:48

Gogo
Banned

I once throwed my babies to property that I built, with a bear inside. It has thin entrance on the left side, big square in the middle and thin dead end on the right side. The point was to go to the right side and come back, while trying to avoid the bear in the middle. Babies did what I told them.

So how about 'survival of the fittest' pit? smile Put bugs inside a fence and tell babies to avoid them, babies can be bitten, but that wouldn't necesserily means death (like with mosquitoes).

Or wooden swords, from which babies can have bruises? smile

Or baby hierarchy, where they can pretend to exile, follow/unfollow, war/peace or curse someone? smile WHAT IF babies can hear more letters from other babies? Example - if you, as baby, would say 'hello', adults will see only 'he(..)', but other baby full word?

Or babies in love? If babies would agree they're in love (they would need to know baby language as above, 'i love tom' 'i love sara'), they can have 'face in love' when standing close to each other? (it could be visible to their old age)

Or baby tool craving? From time to time a baby will be born with a talent for tool - it means this baby can pick up craved tool and use it, if learnt (only as baby!) it would count as extra tool. The cravings would depend on past lives (what tool you used most often). Mommy would ask 'baby, do you crave some tool'? If baby says yes, mom will find that tool for baby and, if it's a new player, tell everything about it, when to use, is it cost food to operate, how to craft it. I imagine there would be one extra kiln (for babies) or second oven. Or small bow with arrows (with soft heads).

Last edited by Gogo (2020-07-02 03:11:56)

#17 2020-07-02 16:39:12

merryllamax

Just talk to your babies, people? I mean not if you're working, but if we just standing by the fire, why not have a chat. Granted, it is a bit one-sided (I also hate trying to read sentences a letter by letter, my brain just can't deal) but unless I desperately need to work, I try to entertain my baby and I appreciate when my moms talk to me. You can talk about the village, your life there, your previous life, ask yes or no questions, or just talk rubbish... Love me some human connection.

Toys could be fun though.

#18 2020-07-03 00:25:06

Laskara

merryllamax wrote:

Just talk to your babies, people? I mean not if you're working, but if we just standing by the fire, why not have a chat. Granted, it is a bit one-sided (I also hate trying to read sentences a letter by letter, my brain just can't deal) but unless I desperately need to work, I try to entertain my baby and I appreciate when my moms talk to me. You can talk about the village, your life there, your previous life, ask yes or no questions, or just talk rubbish... Love me some human connection.

Toys could be fun though.

ye i talk to my babies about what the town's like and what i've noticed we might need or stuff I think would be cool because whenever an adult has talked to me about stuff like that as a kid I was super motivated to get it done

#19 2020-07-03 00:34:56

Karrots

antking:]# wrote:

Toy = competition

babies will fight for toys it they are available

Babies will also (a favorite of mine) switch each other's clothes around for absolutely no reason. It's cute until one of them doesn't give the clothes back...

#20 2020-07-03 02:10:18

Legs

Be careful stealing clothes from babies. Some of them (like me) nurse a grudge and bide time until they can kill you. My grandmother's hand-knit red sweater is not a joke. If you steal it I will kill you.

Loco Motion

#21 2020-07-03 04:33:24

DestinyCall

Legs wrote:

Be careful stealing clothes from babies. Some of them (like me) nurse a grudge and bide time until they can kill you. My grandmother's hand-knit red sweater is not a joke. If you steal it I will kill you.

But Legs, I knitted this red sweater with my own hands and gave it to your mother to keep safe right before I died.  Yes, that's right ... you just stabbed your own grandmother!   How could you, you monster?   

I was going to make you ice cream and a wolf hat.  sad

#22 2020-07-03 11:31:29

Gomez

You can communicate quite a bit with emotions as a baby, much more effectively than one letter at a time.

If a corpse is on the hearth sad face over it, you'd be surprised how often the corpse gets removed doing that.  I do the same for fire if it's coals and about to go out.  Making faces is usually my entertainment, making angry faces can get quite a range of interaction at infancy. There's something so funny about making faces appropriate to situations.

Seeking out a rubber ball as it can be interacted with at birth.  Can also erase shit with it if you want to troll, that one makes me laugh particularly hard. Stash it in your backpack, bounce it, erase maps left within reach of junior....it just feels like something a kid would do. 

Get creative you'd be surprised how much you can do with just a face.  ;P

#23 2020-07-04 03:06:20

Laskara

Gomez wrote:

You can communicate quite a bit with emotions as a baby, much more effectively than one letter at a time.

If a corpse is on the hearth sad face over it, you'd be surprised how often the corpse gets removed doing that.  I do the same for fire if it's coals and about to go out.  Making faces is usually my entertainment, making angry faces can get quite a range of interaction at infancy. There's something so funny about making faces appropriate to situations.

Seeking out a rubber ball as it can be interacted with at birth.  Can also erase shit with it if you want to troll, that one makes me laugh particularly hard. Stash it in your backpack, bounce it, erase maps left within reach of junior....it just feels like something a kid would do. 

Get creative you'd be surprised how much you can do with just a face.  ;P

I see a lot of babies do the hubba emoji i think it's pretty funny

it's also peak funny for babies since they have no hair and you can really see the eyebrows go

Board footer