One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-29 21:12:58

DrRoy

Weird idea for buildings

You know how in old RPGs like pokemon the buildings seemed much much smaller from the outside than from the inside?
So what you think about this:
Surround a 2x2 area with walls and a door. Add a roof and you get a building.
The building is shown as a very big object with roof and everything. You can enter the building through the door. But inside it's not a 2x2 space, but an 8x8 space.
Buildings would very useful for a compact organization of towns and would provide lots of space to litter.

Also the look of a bunch of tiny houses would be nicer than the current looks of the buildings

I don't mean that as a serious suggestion btw. This probably would not fit the game very well. Also it probably would not work with the engine.

But still seems fun, at least in my head

#2 2020-06-29 22:24:47

Arcurus

Re: Weird idea for buildings

buildings for sure would need some buff....

first of all the indoor bonus is gone away too easy if some door is shortly open.

thinks out door should decay faster then indoor.

the idea with space sounds interesting, but i could not imagine how it will look if you pass a door, also for sure the engine does not support it...

#3 2020-06-29 23:34:41

DestinyCall

Yeah, I think it would be great if we could have buildings like that, but Arcurus is right, it would require major code changes.  Unlikely to ever happen, but it would certainly solve many problems related to town organization.

I would also second the idea of improving the temperature quality of buildings.   Springy doors and auto-pathing do make buildings more functional, but I rarely see people build rooms that are actually small enough to gain any temperature bonus at all.   I don't think many people even realize what they need to do to benefit from indoor protection.

#4 2020-06-30 07:58:52

Arcurus

DestinyCall wrote:

Yeah, I think it would be great if we could have buildings like that, but Arcurus is right, it would require major code changes.  Unlikely to ever happen, but it would certainly solve many problems related to town organization.

I would also second the idea of improving the temperature quality of buildings.   Springy doors and auto-pathing do make buildings more functional, but I rarely see people build rooms that are actually small enough to gain any temperature bonus at all.   I don't think many people even realize what they need to do to benefit from indoor protection.

i tested it out these days, even with spring doors the inside food bonus was seldom there.... little air ..... and its gone....

#5 2020-06-30 16:45:36

The_Anabaptist

Has anyone built a building within a building and tested out what happens when doors are opened / closed?  I'm thinking a donut shaped building with the inner room being for fire & nursery.

The_Anabaptist

#6 2020-06-30 18:22:25

DrRoy

The_Anabaptist wrote:

Has anyone built a building within a building and tested out what happens when doors are opened / closed?  I'm thinking a donut shaped building with the inner room being for fire & nursery.

The_Anabaptist

I put a building in your building. So you can insulate while you insulate?

Imo OHOL buildings are weird in its own way. It's just a bunch of walls without any roof. Good thing the warm air doesn't go upwards. I would love a good reason to have buildings. Right now it's only a small organization bonus plus small insulation bonus minus space and resources for walls?

To make things decay slower seems weird since most things do not decay......

Another weird idea: you can own a house by saying "this is my home" inside a building. Your children have the same home as you as long as they are young. And eating at home gives BONUS FOOD, yay!

#7 2020-06-30 18:57:17

DestinyCall

The_Anabaptist wrote:

The_Anabaptist

If I understand how buildings work, the engine looks around for walls and flooring within a certain area around you.   IF it finds flooring on all tiles AND walls enclosing the space, THEN it considers you to be indoors.   IF there is an open door OR missing wall OR missing floor tile, THEN you are not inside. 

When you are considered to be "inside" you gain some kind of a bonus to your insulation value which helps you to stay warm.    But the connection between being inside a building and gaining some kind of survival benefit is really poorly communicated in the game.   And it doesn't help that many rooms are too large to be registered as fully enclosed spaces.    In a very big room, the walls are going to be too far apart, so all the game "sees" around you is floor tiles.  It won't even realize that you are inside.   

A donut room might make it more likely that you are considered to be "inside" by ensuring that you are always close to walls.   But it would also mean that more of the interior space of the building was occupied by walls.   I think it would be kind of interesting to try to build a town with many small rooms connected by springy doors, so you were always "inside" at all times.   But there are some things that do require open floor tiles, like farming and wells.

Once upon a time, I considered making an entire building out of wooden doors.  It would be portable and easy to reconfigure to your desired specifications.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-06-30 19:01:17)

Board footer