One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-25 06:03:44

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

When I have plenty of food I still hear the dinging constantly

When you have high yum, but eat a low food count food you still hear the dinging forever even though you're fine. It's starting to really bug me. I'm not starving game please stop

reeee

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#2 2020-06-25 07:26:32

DestinyCall

Re: When I have plenty of food I still hear the dinging constantly

Why not just eat something else so you have a proper buffer?  Grab a bowl of stew or something.  You don't need to walk around in Sudden Death Mode.

#3 2020-06-25 08:26:02

Arcurus

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

When you have high yum, but eat a low food count food you still hear the dinging forever even though you're fine. It's starting to really bug me. I'm not starving game please stop

lol, because eating different food may be yumy, but the body does not have his base calories yet...

yea yum pips should just add up as normal pipes and go over the max...  sadly then you could eat less yum in a row, but hey one price you need to pay...

#4 2020-06-25 10:28:05

Coniculls13
Website

probably needs to be reported, sounds like unintended behaviour
https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/new

Maintainer of Two Hours One Life - a curated OHOL server. Discord https://discord.gg/atEgxm7

#5 2020-06-25 11:21:40

Arcurus

Coniculls13 wrote:

probably needs to be reported, sounds like unintended behaviour
https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/new

reported it,  since it is annoying and does not make sense...

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/637

#6 2020-06-25 13:15:04

wondible

Yeah, I redid my dings to be strictly time based, thus tacking into account clothing and such. Yum is one of the things I took account of. But this was rare enough that I didn't think to make a bug report of it.

(Interestingly the starving emote works the same way - time based using yum, but the client is still unchanged)

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#7 2020-06-25 15:08:31

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, I will look at this, at least to factor YUM points into the equation.

Part of the reason it is NOT time-based is so you can visually understand what causes the hunger slips to change (oh, the slip appears when I have 4 pips left, or whatever).

If you were very warm, it might be quite distressing to see the slip appear when you only had 1 pip left.  The slip would appear, and you'd freak out.  Likewise, if you were very cold, it would be confusing to see the STARVING slip on an almost-full belly.

#8 2020-06-25 16:47:14

Arcurus

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yes, I will look at this, at least to factor YUM points into the equation.

Part of the reason it is NOT time-based is so you can visually understand what causes the hunger slips to change (oh, the slip appears when I have 4 pips left, or whatever).

If you were very warm, it might be quite distressing to see the slip appear when you only had 1 pip left.  The slip would appear, and you'd freak out.  Likewise, if you were very cold, it would be confusing to see the STARVING slip on an almost-full belly.

What is the reason to not simply put the extra yum food in the normal food pipes and only if max reached display them as extra "invisible" pips like now.

this would also help new players to understand in an visual way, that the yum bonus functions. When i was new i though oh my god there is a bug, no extra food pipes through yum and still im starving since its dinging...

#9 2020-06-25 18:38:00

Coconut Fruit

Arcurus wrote:

What is the reason to not simply put the extra yum food in the normal food pipes and only if max reached display them as extra "invisible" pips like now.

And then people would never learn how many pips a food gives if it gave a different amount everytime depending on how big your yum is. Also it wouldn't be so clear that yum actually works for new people.
Leave it like it is.
And just change the sound to start if you have 4 pips in total with bonus food (for example 1 pip +5 bonus pips = you wouldn't hear the starving sound, but 1 pip +2 pips and you would hear it)

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#10 2020-06-25 18:42:38

Arcurus

Coconut Fruit wrote:

And then people would never learn how many pips a food gives if it gave a different amount everytime depending on how big your yum is. Also it wouldn't be so clear that yum actually works for new people.

actually for me was the other way round, I just looked at the pips and wondered why yum did not work.

Also it would still say starving even if you are not...

Maybe the food pips can be displayed if you pick up the food.

its also lot more easier for noobs to see if or if not they are starving, if starving would be always connected to the amount of pipes.

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-06-25 18:44:22)

#11 2020-06-26 03:48:18

jasonrohrer
Administrator

This has been fixed.  No more annoying DINGS if you have a bunch of YUM bonus points.

Arc:

The fact that YUM points are separate.... the idea is that they don't necessarily "fill you up".  Like if you eat a huge YUM chain, and have a 20x multiplier, and then wait until empty and eat a YUM piece of popcorn, you get 20 bonus points, but you're still not full, so you can eat more things beyond that one piece of popcorn.

Which makes YUM better than regular eating, because it can go above and beyond your normal stomach capacity.

It kinda represents the difference between "nutrition" and "fullness" in a very abstract way.

And later, to fix "food waste" by allowing people to overflow when they eat a big food on a nearly-full stomach, those YUM bonus points were used for that overflow too...  it was just the cleanest way to do that..... though it does kinda muddy the distinction between "stomach fullness" and "yumness".  Though most of the "big" foods are meant to be more nutritious.

#12 2020-06-26 09:26:38

wondible

jasonrohrer wrote:

It kinda represents the difference between "nutrition" and "fullness" in a very abstract way.

And here I was thinking of '+' as body fat.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#13 2020-06-26 09:42:41

Arcurus

wondible wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

lol when i heard the overeating, i was thinking, oh how would the graphics looks for overweight...

With the yum boni different then the rest, yes i understand the logic, just think for new people it may be more confusing (as it was for me), especially if it says still starving even if you have some yum. With the food pips, its easy to see how much you still have before you starve to death.

the concept between "nutrition" and "fullness" i like very much, it could reach far more deep, like fullness for survival and nutrition (better health) for some other extra boni like slight movement speed increase, max age... that said yum would still give a food bonus for survival.

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-06-26 09:43:01)

#14 2020-06-26 10:01:47

JonySky
Website

Arcurus wrote:
wondible wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

lol when i heard the overeating, i was thinking, oh how would the graphics looks for overweight...

With the yum boni different then the rest, yes i understand the logic, just think for new people it may be more confusing (as it was for me), especially if it says still starving even if you have some yum. With the food pips, its easy to see how much you still have before you starve to death.

the concept between "nutrition" and "fullness" i like very much, it could reach far more deep, like fullness for survival and nutrition (better health) for some other extra boni like slight movement speed increase, max age... that said yum would still give a food bonus for survival.

implementing overweight and slow movement is more intuitive than the current YUM system

For a new player, the YUM system is confusing and not very well explained in the game.

If a new player eats stew excessively and their character becomes overweight (visually fatter character in the game) and moves more slowly, the new player will understand that something is happening in their diet ...

This is a thousand times more intuitive than seeing a +10 symbol at the bottom of your screen.

#15 2020-06-26 10:08:45

Arcurus

JonySky wrote:

implementing overweight and slow movement is more intuitive than the current YUM system

For a new player, the YUM system is confusing and not very well explained in the game.

If a new player eats stew excessively and their character becomes overweight (visually fatter character in the game) and moves more slowly, the new player will understand that something is happening in their diet ...

This is a thousand times more intuitive than seeing a +10 symbol at the bottom of your screen.

lol yea, that would be funny smile

For the berry eaters on an un healthy diet i was more thinking about if we could use something like /ill
if you eat three times the same 1 pip food in a row.

The /ill would stay for lets say 20 seconds while you cannot eat any one pipe food and makes your movement x0,8

This i guess would very fast teach to eat a more healthy diet...

With the yum / making more or less healthy i was more thinking it this direction:

- for each yum you get +1% movement speed, for each meh, you loose 1%. starting with speed x0.9
- for each yum you get +1 year max age, for each meh, you loose 1 year max age. starting with age 45 and max age 60

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-06-26 10:13:23)

#16 2020-06-26 10:47:01

JonySky
Website

Arcurus wrote:
JonySky wrote:

lol yea, that would be funny smile

For the berry eaters on an un healthy diet i was more thinking about if we could use something like /ill
if you eat three times the same 1 pip food in a row.

The /ill would stay for lets say 20 seconds while you cannot eat any one pipe food and makes your movement x0,8

This i guess would very fast teach to eat a more healthy diet...

With the yum / making more or less healthy i was more thinking it this direction:

- for each yum you get +1% movement speed, for each meh, you loose 1%. starting with speed x0.9
- for each yum you get +1 year max age, for each meh, you loose 1 year max age. starting with age 45 and max age 60

That would be great! We could also observe new players better (with the speed reduction and obesity of the character) and we could explain how they should eat properly.

now we just need someone to develop it ... (no unnecessary complications)

Last edited by JonySky (2020-06-26 10:47:57)

#17 2020-06-26 11:26:51

Arcurus

JonySky wrote:

That would be great! We could also observe new players better (with the speed reduction and obesity of the character) and we could explain how they should eat properly.

now we just need someone to develop it ... (no unnecessary complications)

lol, actually you find them already now quite easily, just look at the berry eaters smile

#18 2020-06-26 18:06:39

jasonrohrer
Administrator

This has been fixed.  No more dinging when you have bonus food points not shown in your hunger bar.

#19 2020-06-26 19:30:53

Arcurus

jasonrohrer wrote:

This has been fixed.  No more dinging when you have bonus food points not shown in your hunger bar.

thx for fixing!

Does it still say starving in the client when food is low but you have yum?

Board footer