One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-22 16:13:35

Arcurus

Question about biome placement

Is there a reason why jungle and desert biome are always in the mountains?

#2 2020-06-22 16:26:28

Villas

Re: Question about biome placement

A year ago it wasn’t like that, it was random, look that map: http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6940
A little bit before family specialization (I think) he decided to try a topographic map and the snow, jungle and desert would be special biomes in the mountains. I might say it became way easier to find those biomes after this update. Before, it was a mess, sometimes I used a third party map (wondible) to find them. I think the reason was that one, to make it easier to find. Perhaps when we get the new update with 10 new biomes, we get some rainforest at sea level.

Edit: As Twisted said, it is topographic and not topological, so I’m editing it.

Last edited by Villas (2020-06-22 16:41:03)

#3 2020-06-22 16:32:07

Twisted

The game uses a pseudotopographical map of some kind to generate terrain. The the lowest valleys are swamps, while highest peaks are special biomes (desert/jungle/arctic). From lowest to highest, the biomes go Swamps -> Grasslands -> Prairies -> Mountains -> Special

#4 2020-06-22 17:27:53

Arcurus

Twisted wrote:

The game uses a pseudotopographical map of some kind to generate terrain. The the lowest valleys are swamps, while highest peaks are special biomes (desert/jungle/arctic). From lowest to highest, the biomes go Swamps -> Grasslands -> Prairies -> Mountains -> Special

tx

little strange that desert and jungle is always in mountains, so you can never build a village next to it, maybe better:

Swamps -> Grasslands -> Prairies / Jungle / Desert -> Mountains -> arctic

#5 2020-06-22 18:42:49

miskas

reconsider Arcurus, cause Iron mines

Last edited by miskas (2020-06-22 18:43:03)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#6 2020-06-22 20:34:26

Arcurus

miskas wrote:

reconsider Arcurus, cause Iron mines

LOL IRON!!!! plase VOG fix iron!

/ = OR

Swamps -> Grasslands -> Prairies OR Jungle OR Desert -> Mountains -> arctic

Prairies OR Jungle OR Desert can be in any combination / mix, so you have also Prairies --> Mountains

Or  Prairies --> Jungle  --> Mountains

Or  Jungle -->  Prairies --> Mountains

Or ....

#7 2020-06-22 21:37:05

pein

the last edit was in rift, and some tweaks after it

he original reason was that we barely had around 4-6 viable spots inside 720x720 since you required a combination of a big green and a decent size swamp

I think the first well nerfs came after this

first, we had the biomes rearranged so swamps are closer to green and had a bigger minimum size
then we had issues with the lack of iron
then it was the lack of rabbits, so that's how we got the rings around the main biomes, almost any green can be built into a city, if it has a well, maybe you need to plant trees but most of them are useable

the map changes were quite good but they were optimized for the rift, so it's a bit weird sometimes now

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2020-06-22 21:50:38

Arcurus

pein wrote:

the last edit was in rift, and some tweaks after it

he original reason was that we barely had around 4-6 viable spots inside 720x720 since you required a combination of a big green and a decent size swamp

I think the first well nerfs came after this

first, we had the biomes rearranged so swamps are closer to green and had a bigger minimum size
then we had issues with the lack of iron
then it was the lack of rabbits, so that's how we got the rings around the main biomes, almost any green can be built into a city, if it has a well, maybe you need to plant trees but most of them are useable

the map changes were quite good but they were optimized for the rift, so it's a bit weird sometimes now

hmm, that sounds like solving any natural challenges through an algorithm, for sure iron and rabbits could be brought from more distance.

And suddenly all villages feels same, since all villages got per algorithm nearly same basic resources, as long as build in green.

But thx for explaining the background of it.

#9 2020-06-22 22:34:17

Coconut Fruit

Arcurus wrote:

And suddenly all villages feels same

Probably because people lack creativity for some reason.

There was one pretty unique town. They had no walls/rooms at all, and they survived the longest after food changes (over 180 generations).

For example I really don't know why every kitchen has to look the same in every town, with all these ugly walls over and over again (I mean, they aren't ugly, but aren't you bored doing it over and over again the same way?). Can't someone just surround it with trees for once?

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#10 2020-06-22 22:46:10

DestinyCall

Coconut Fruit wrote:

For example I really don't know why every kitchen has to look the same in every town, with all these ugly walls over and over again (I mean, they aren't ugly, but aren't you bored doing it over and over again the same way?). Can't someone just surround it with trees for once?

Have you tried building with trees?   I have. 

Trees are kind of problematic because they are too tall and most people can't see behind them.   So when you use trees to make a pen or define a space, you lose a significant number of tiles due to the leaves blocking the tiles behind them.    You also have the problem of people coming around and chopping down your trees for fun or because they don't realize they serve a purpose. 

That being said, I do like to see people being creative.    I wish that walls did not auto-orient.    That "update" really pissed me off because it breaks a lot of unique artistic designs.

#11 2020-06-22 23:04:28

Coconut Fruit

DestinyCall wrote:

Trees are kind of problematic because they are too tall and most people can't see behind them.   So when you use trees to make a pen or define a space, you lose a significant number of tiles due to the leaves blocking the tiles behind them.

That being said, I do like to see people being creative.    I wish that walls did not auto-orient.    That "update" really pissed me off because it breaks a lot of unique artistic designs.

People learned making so tight towns, that we must care about every single tile. That's another thing that makes every town look the same, they all are super tight. Tho if they weren't, super short sighted people (vanilla users) could have hard time finding things.

Yeah, I never liked auto-orient thing too.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#12 2020-06-23 00:36:04

fug

Coconut Fruit wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Trees are kind of problematic because they are too tall and most people can't see behind them.   So when you use trees to make a pen or define a space, you lose a significant number of tiles due to the leaves blocking the tiles behind them.

People learned making so tight towns, that we must care about every single tile. That's another thing that makes every town look the same, they all are super tight. Tho if they weren't, super short sighted people (vanilla users) could have hard time finding things.

Yeah, I never liked auto-orient thing too.

Too much reeing about ugly buildings. Plus Jason really disliked how I would build rooms (even when the focus wasn't on being an eyesore) because the quickest room design is all horizontal walls which I at least think looks nice compared to all verticals/all corners.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

Board footer