One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-29 09:47:19

Alterior

Family planning outpost

What if we started making outposts just past the edge of the homesick boundary for women who are done having kids?

Could make a central cistern as a pseudo well, refillable from the homeland well. Cute little 2x2 animal pens for meat, or just a yard. Appropriate veteran work stations. Actual yumming occurring... Things like that. Could normalise making them directly west of the main well, because that's the direction of intended migration in this game.

Berry bushes are weeds, tear them up, set them on fire. Corn is the food of the gods.

#2 2020-05-29 11:08:19

pein

Re: Family planning outpost

I saw some of this by occupying new wells clsoe to towns which had Newcomen wells or stolen engines
was a bit weird sometimes, like ginger town had the homeland border 3 tiles inside the bakery

I was marking the homeland border once, with clay, mom was eve and I led them to expert waystone then to black fam then to an unused city, but we couldn't claim it

took my sister to a new well and she had 2 girls, but we were moving between the old and the new camps so wasn't sure if the kids smart enough to go back to have kids, hours later I got back and was thriving

I guess we could make outposts and even wall the homeland border but 100 tiles are a lot, too far from camp, might work with a road and a rac specific biome, otherwise no point making them randomly. Like a big jungle with rubber farm or a big desert with glasswort, or a fishing hut.

Veterans don't do 2x2 or they aren't really veterans big_smile

One thing I do often is helping other fams when I'm male or not wanting kids. Actually can be profitable that you can work on their blocking biomes, one time I got a ton of firewood for a town from the ice biome. Other time I tried to clear up their jungle from mosquitoes, I was a bit late, was 55 when I got the stones, If I place them I still would have needed like 5-10 minutes to push the flies inside and close it. and it would still needed double up on bell bases and become ancient.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2020-05-29 11:52:05

jinbaili83

It will get harder to make infertile outposts with new update.
Cisterns now count as homeland centers, so you can re-settle a town with a dry well if it has stored water. Fixes #809

#4 2020-05-29 12:33:17

pein

yeah but it won't count as the centre when making later on

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2020-05-29 13:45:58

Alterior

pein wrote:

I tried to clear up their jungle from mosquitoes

You can do that? How?

jinbaili83 wrote:

Cisterns now count as homeland centers, so you can re-settle a town with a dry well if it has stored water. Fixes #809

Ah, good and bad. Okay umm... 8 buckets and a horse cart at the family planning outpost? It's only there as a home for women till menopause so...

Berry bushes are weeds, tear them up, set them on fire. Corn is the food of the gods.

#6 2020-05-29 14:58:33

DestinyCall

Alterior wrote:
pein wrote:

I tried to clear up their jungle from mosquitoes

You can do that? How?

The lost art of mosquito wrangling.    You can't kill bugs, but you CAN trap them.

#7 2020-05-29 16:20:56

AmberA

Honestly I think the population is just too low. I think it was this past weekend that I was born as an Eve. I wasn't in the mood to start a new town so I started walking to just something an abandoned town. I had a daughter (new player) and quickly found the desert people's town. My daughter wanted to stay so I got food and clothing and followed the road. Very close to that town was an abandoned town that I moved into. This was perhaps the BEST abandoned town I'd ever seen. It had a well ready for an engine but no engine, but it has a second well, a working deep well with a road close by. We had all the supplies for seals to upgrade it, the cisterns still had water, there were tons of food, clothing, farm animals, etc. The town hadn't been scavenged yet, I think the people had just recently died out.

I had two more daughters (thankfully not new player) and they had children. We claimed the deep well in our family's name and lived very well. The town only survived for 8 or so generations before it died out. We had the BEST chance to survived from any Eve family I'd ever seen based on the healthy status of our town and we quickly died out.

I don't know if outposts would help.

#8 2020-05-29 16:56:38

Alterior

AmberA wrote:

Honestly I think the population is just too low.

Think you might be hitting the nail on the head there.

There are some forum users talking about having no choice about babies though, so, want to point out a thing that can be done.
A town that does it is probably going to die out quickly, but, the idea is necessary apparently.

I'd really like to see some data on the average family generation numbers recently.
A handful of towns are still around, but there seems to be a new family in them every time I play in them.
Which kinda begs the question why are families dying out so frequently in towns that are still liveable?

Does this game have a girl birth bias when population numbers are low?

#9 2020-05-29 21:04:19

pein

well you gotta be brown to us the jungle so no point if you other race

the safest way of blocking them is bell bases or stone walls since they go ancient and be unremovable
bll bases cheaper originally, you can block a tile with half a stone, but for safety you upgrade them

as for the mosquitoes, count every one of them in the biome, for 7 you need 7 tiles, so look for an edge on the biome which is straight, they biome locked so you need to surround them 2 sides, if it's od number, look for a tile outside, if even then a straight corner
you need to block 2x4 for 7 for example, 2x3 for 6 and so on. that's x+y+1 walls, so 9 blocks to block seven or 7 to block 6, and one of them will move freely

the best way of pushing them is using property fences since it counts as an item and they can't sit on top of them. if you go side to side then they can't attack you, since they can get behind you. they decay and disappear so you need to be fast.
you can make a wall on the middle, then again half of that, then when you got a small space, you need to make the bell bases for them, except one tile they can go in. then is a bit harder, you need to wait them move and drop the fences right after they move, so they are forced inside the pen.
then just close the last tile and they are blocked
if you still got time, upgrade the bell bases to full, they will go ancient and it's unremovable

it worked better when jungle was available for everyone and had a perfect temperature, now just browns use it. and you can only use it for certain things, not the best to live inside it. Rubber trees can be used only once, you can cut them when you got the rubber. You can plant more for further rubber closeby. Sugar can also be planted but it doesn't worth it, other than for the look of it, since you don use much and here is plenty in the world. Other than that, you only need a mango tree for tattoos, can be planted and have fruits, not too many, one is enough. Wild has leafs as well and no but logs so farming it isn't good.

Board footer