One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-05-29 00:59:13

DestinyCall

Re: The Paradox of Genescore

Why do we even have gene score?   I don't see the point of it.

#27 2020-05-29 01:17:13

testo

Legs wrote:

Do nieces and nephews affect your gene score when you're female?

If not fleeing homeland as a woman is a clear exploit.

I thought you were a pro and hero of the town. The answer to your question is no.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#28 2020-05-29 01:39:41

AmberA

I wouldn't say we're being overwhelmed with babies but they tend to happen a bit too often. When I play a mother, this is my problem: I do not want to raise more than 1 baby at time. Twins and triplets are rare exceptions, but in general I don't want to be giving my 1 year old newborn a tour of the town and pop out a second baby. Having 1 baby allows me to keep it in my arms and still be mobile, I can take it with me to collect clothes, get food, give a tour of town, introduce the baby to their grandma and siblings and talk to them a bit. 3-5 minutes the bare minimum to raise a baby that feels welcomed and loved. But the moment I have two babies that can't feed themselves it means I'm now stuck at the fire, the babies don't meet family members, they are half dressed, they may not know where the food or farm is. It's just a subpar experience raising multiple babies at the same time.

So the key is allowing mothers to raise 1 baby at a time.

After each child of mine is born, I want a timer to start and I will not pop out another baby for guaranteed 3 minutes. If that child dies any time during that 3 minutes then the timer goes away. That 3 minute buffer I want to be longer based on how experienced the baby is. If the baby is a veteran player than 3 minutes is enough but if the baby is a new player then I likely will need to teach them something and will need extra time. So the buffer time could be a sliding scale based on how experienced the player is, vet = 3 minute buffer while a complete noob is 6 minutes.

#29 2020-05-29 08:33:21

Arcurus

To the child / mother problem, a statistic without suicide babies would say more. Maybe limit to 5 babies per lifetime per mother without suicide babies.

if it is a gene score issue it can be easily fixed like this:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/629

Problem:
The current gene score rewards in average having less kids / relatives instead rewarding having more..

Taking care of only yourself is lot more easy then taking care of other people. So in average each additional relative pulls you more down then up.

Genetically it should be exactly the other way round, since you reaching 60 alone has done nothing while having 3 kids even if one dies early did at lot.

Another issue is with grandkids and grandgrandkis often you cant do much about their life. A fair thing would be if they would be rated more positive then negative, since having grand kids is already a success.

Possible solution:
To balance this therefore i suggest to count yourself only negative, and all grand and grandgrandkids double positive. All other would be counted normal.

Effect:
This would reward to have more kids not less and make gene farming more difficult

#30 2020-05-29 11:44:32

Twisted

When it comes to too many babies, I think there are two separate issues.

• Getting too many babies that you can't possibly take care of them (this has been mostly taken care of with recent updates)

• Having too many children means you can't dedicate enough time to all of them, which in turns means you don't care about them (this happens ALL THE TIME)

In most situations, having only one kid makes for more meaningful experiences with that one kid. You live for 60 minutes, 46 of those after entering fertility. With one kid you can dedicate a maximum of 46 minutes to one child. With two each gets 23 minutes on average. With five kids each one gets nine minutes of your time on average - and that is assuming you spend the ENTIRE life just interacting with your kids, doing nothing else, which is very unlikely.

Some thoughts:

BB cooldown
I think the baby cooldown right now is fine. It makes for funny situations and memorable moments. If you know you're fertile, you KNOW you might get two sudden babies at any time, and you should prepare accordingly.

Max BB limit
What if the BB limit was not a static number, but instead adjusted dynamically on the fly? What if, when choosing a mother, the game calculated the total age of your currently living kids, and if it's above, say, 40, it doesn't consider you as a potential mother. This would make it so if your kids die, you get more babies to replace them. But if you take care of your first two or three kids well you'll reach a point where you won't get any more and you'll be able to dedicate all your time to your existing ones.

Homeland gene score exploit
The homeland mechanic is primarily there to stop one family from permanently moving into a town into another family. What if mothers outside of their homeland could still have babies, but only boys?
What if mothers were super-fertile until the age of 25 and could have babies anywhere, but their babies born outside of the homeland could only have babies inside their homeland?
What if mothers that gave birth to no kids, but the game tried to give them at least one kid and it failed due to them being outside their homeland, got a -1 gene score penalty after they died? [Failed to spread genes, -1.0 gene score]

#31 2020-05-29 14:25:55

Coconut Fruit

What if we had equal bb distribution within our own family?
Equal amount of bbs per mom.
That means, if you had a bb then the next bb will go to another fertile woman.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#32 2020-05-29 14:44:22

Arcurus

Twisted wrote:

BB cooldown
I think the baby cooldown right now is fine. It makes for funny situations and memorable moments. If you know you're fertile, you KNOW you might get two sudden babies at any time, and you should prepare accordingly.

wasnt there a limit of 1 baby per mother since some weeks? so first one needs to grow up little bit.

Twisted wrote:

Homeland gene score exploit
The homeland mechanic is primarily there to stop one family from permanently moving into a town into another family. What if mothers outside of their homeland could still have babies, but only boys?
What if mothers were super-fertile until the age of 25 and could have babies anywhere, but their babies born outside of the homeland could only have babies inside their homeland?
What if mothers that gave birth to no kids, but the game tried to give them at least one kid and it failed due to them being outside their homeland, got a -1 gene score penalty after they died? [Failed to spread genes, -1.0 gene score]

homeland can be fixed super easy, just make children from a minority group (fewer allies) join with 50% the race and family of the majority group. If the two families stay together, soon there will be only one family and race after few generations.

And its super visible that your child is another race....

Also kind of logic, that the genes of the mayority will dominate.

Even better, would be to consider for caclulation the majorty only males, still there would not be a father except VOG, but males could look for famales even from different races and still spread their familiy. So if you are happen to be the last male you still have a chance....

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-05-29 14:45:03)

#33 2020-05-29 14:58:55

Coconut Fruit

Arcurus wrote:

wasnt there a limit of 1 baby per mother since some weeks? so first one needs to grow up little bit.

No, there is max baby/mom ratio 1.0. That means we can have as many babies as fertile womans before a new Eve spawns.

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2020-05-29 15:12:44)

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#34 2020-05-29 15:04:14

Arcurus

Coconut Fruit wrote:
Arcurus wrote:

No, there is baby/mom ratio 1.0. That means we can have as many babies as fertile womans before a new Eve spawns.

so then its more a problem of distribution of babies between the woman?

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-05-29 15:04:38)

#35 2020-05-29 15:15:56

Coconut Fruit

Yeah, I guess. We don't exceed baby/mom ratio 1.0 anyways, only after server resets.

I think it would be cool to also fairly distribute babies between families, so we could have similar amount of people per family instead of having 20 people in one fam and only 5 in another, which happens pretty often.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

Board footer