a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-26 20:37:47

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Playtime is not linearly correlated with curses received

Here's a plot for the last 30 days:

R3lghEf.png

Obviously, the longer you play, the more curses you have, because it's impossible to get lots of curses if you barely play, but notice the slope of that curve, and how the slope decreases and even becomes negative as playtime increases.

In fact, the player with the 2nd highest playtime for the entire month has only 5 curses.

Granted, no player with a high playtime has absolutely zero curses.

However, five curses will have very little effect on someone.

#2 2020-05-26 20:54:24

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Playtime is not linearly correlated with curses received

Keep in mind:

There were 3807 unique players in the past 30 days.

2915 of them had ZERO curses logged.  76% of them.

#3 2020-05-26 21:16:25

jasonrohrer
Administrator

163 people were born in d-town over the past 30 days.

96% of players never saw d-town.

#4 2020-05-26 21:25:35

fug

So Morti doesn't know how to behave himself lel.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#5 2020-05-26 22:01:44

jasonrohrer
Administrator

This graph is from last 30 days only.

Yes, someone logged 300 hours in last 30 days.

Is Morti really shouldering the wheel at that level?

It could also be a bot...

#6 2020-05-26 22:28:31

Arcurus

jasonrohrer wrote:

163 people were born in d-town over the past 30 days.

96% of players never saw d-town.

would be interesting to compare the numbers to the vets. How many vets (playtime top 20%) have seen the donkeytown in last 30 days.

#7 2020-05-26 22:33:49

StrongForce

Cool graph but what are you looking for?

Baby dance!!

#8 2020-05-26 22:35:23

DestinyCall

jasonrohrer wrote:

It could also be a bot...

Or someone who is stuck in quarantine with nothing better to do than play spend every waking hour playing OHOL?

#9 2020-05-26 22:41:17

Coconut Fruit

The problem would start if good people were sent to donkey town. I guess it doesn't happen, or happens very rarery, since people don't complain about it.
I think curse system works fine. At least for good people, I don't know how about bad ones because I'm not one of them. Hopefully it's hard for them to NOT spawn in dt.

Don't spend more time on it, please, not worth it IMO.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#10 2020-05-26 22:48:35

Coconut Fruit

Also forgiveness system would be handy ("I FORGIVE YOU" or smth). It could encourage bad people to actually start being good, so people can forgive them, that's good I guess. And also sometimes we curse wrong people and we want to undo it.
People aren't perfect, otherwise we would have no ctrl+z shortcut. It's not a crafting mistake but a big decision not related with gameplay "I don't want to play with this person for an entire month". If we cursed someone and we want undo it because we actually want to play with them, we should be able to.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#11 2020-05-26 23:06:08

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, I see.... I will add forgiveness this week.

There are cases where "CURSE YOU" lands on the wrong person because they suddenly run into range.

I was looking at this issue because some people were claiming that "good" vet players would accumulate curses over time through random chance, because they play so much.

Regarding working on the worst players, hell yeah, it's working.

Some people were born in D-town 200 or 300 times this month.  That's a lot of d-town.

#12 2020-05-26 23:08:59

testo

I don`t believe someone just logged in 10 hr everyd ay. It doesn`t make any sense, game is not that deep or complex.
Maybe 5 hrs day tops, but even then thats a lot. The three top played accounts seem like bots. I`ll be happy to be proved wrong, but until then nay.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#13 2020-05-26 23:18:25

Crumpaloo

Out of those 3807 people theres only 10 at the other half of the graph, kinda hard to make assumptions about anything when its about .002% of the people you are using from the sample size.

Plus besides a noticeable downward curve at the very start alot of this is quite sporadic with no real correlation.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#14 2020-05-26 23:31:28

Catfive

adding ability to forgive a curse would be awesome. and one of the people who spends a lot of time in dt is often on hetuw mod chat whining about it,  they do indeed deserve the time they get there in that case. i have visited it for 2 hours in my time on, once i made early camp, once i was there with 5 others all playing together in a small camp, didn't hate it at all even though most of those curses were retaliations for my cursing a griefer but meh...

#15 2020-05-26 23:36:17

jinbaili83

Morti wrote:

Some days I spend 20 hours in a row, sometimes I have played for 30 hours in a row, without sleep, drinking less coffee, so I had to get away from the keyboard less, eating less food, just to avoid 3 minutes straight, of being away from the game, so that I could get back to work, as soon as possible, on whatever project, I was working on, for everyone.

but since april this year he got only +9 hours on his account
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 470#p93470

#16 2020-05-27 00:28:23

fug

jinbaili83 wrote:
Morti wrote:

Some days I spend 20 hours in a row, sometimes I have played for 30 hours in a row, without sleep, drinking less coffee, so I had to get away from the keyboard less, eating less food, just to avoid 3 minutes straight, of being away from the game, so that I could get back to work, as soon as possible, on whatever project, I was working on, for everyone.

but since april this year he got only +9 hours on his account
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 470#p93470

So the game isn't good enough for either of us to play. I guess someone else is going ham playing then.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#17 2020-05-27 00:41:39

DestinyCall

Crumpaloo wrote:

Out of those 3807 people theres only 10 at the other half of the graph, kinda hard to make assumptions about anything when its about .002% of the people you are using from the sample size.

Plus besides a noticeable downward curve at the very start alot of this is quite sporadic with no real correlation.

What I am seeing is if you wanted to remove griefers from the game, it wouldn't be that hard to find the naughty boys.   

You don't just accumulate 15+ curses in thirty days entirely on accident or due to a series of unfortunate misunderstandings.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-05-27 00:45:01)

#18 2020-05-27 01:11:59

Legs

you do tho

curse destinycall

Loco Motion

#19 2020-05-27 01:12:23

AmberA

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yes, I see.... I will add forgiveness this week.

There are cases where "CURSE YOU" lands on the wrong person because they suddenly run into range.

I was looking at this issue because some people were claiming that "good" vet players would accumulate curses over time through random chance, because they play so much.

Regarding working on the worst players, hell yeah, it's working.

Some people were born in D-town 200 or 300 times this month.  That's a lot of d-town.

Yes please add forgiveness!!

Not only have I see "Curse You" curse the wrong person but I've also seen "Curse my baby" curse the wrong baby when the mother is trying to curse a SID baby but a different baby was born at the same time.

I'm one of the "good" vet players that was sent to donkey town. It's because I have a hard time not going after griefers. Someone kills all the sheep...damn right I'm going to hunt that person until they are cursed and dead. But that makes me a target, that sheep killer is likely to curse me for hunting them down. The random person who didn't see the sheep killing only see me with a bloody knife and also curses me. Taht sheep killer probably had a baby that will also curse me and try to kill me because I'm trying to end their griefer mother. That's 3 curses for trying to save the town. I've gotten better though at getting towns people on my side and letting others initiate the attack so I don't get cursed as often now.

Sure I could let that griefer steal our engine but getting it back has to fall to someone. Most people don't have zoom and aren't advanced enough of a player to know what to do so it falls to the vets to fight back. That's why I ended up buying a second account, the first one was stuck in donkey town.

Long story short, yes please add forgiveness.

If I curse someone as a child, when I'm old I get a 2nd curse. If I curse that same person again, will it count as a 2nd curse on that person or does it just refresh the curse timer?

Last edited by AmberA (2020-05-27 01:14:40)

#20 2020-05-27 05:50:34

NOBODY

jason wrote:

no shit dumb ass, maybe that's one of the many reasons why your game is dieing

but who am i to say that, im just another person who doesn't matter and will just sit down and watch your game end like everyone else is doing. i would say greifers are in the right because its the only thing that's still keeping your game alive and pretty much the only thing that's keeping it relevant.  but its your game, you made it. so now watch it slowly die i guess

and ya i know he also said that he would add forgiveness. but will he?, yes. but he will also put some shit on it that will make it worse or nerf it a month later if he actually figures out how to make a good update

Last edited by NOBODY (2020-05-27 05:55:02)

#21 2020-05-27 06:52:49

DestinyCall

Legs wrote:

you do tho

curse destinycall

96% of players never saw d-town during this 30-day sample.  76% received NO curses at all.   Only a fraction of the player-base accumulated more than ten curses over 30 days, even among those who played many lives.

Think about that next time you are stuck there "on accident".  It might not be a mistake that keeps you in the unlucky 4%.   It might be how you interact with other people in your village, for better or worse.

Instead of blaming the curse system and "curse abuse" for your troubles, consider how your own actions may be contributing to people not wanting you around them in the future.  And try to do better in your next life.   It makes a real difference.

#22 2020-05-27 07:30:02

Whatever

Jason the first chart you made was this one:

YZ98xTu.png

Which shows a linear correlation, the more you play the more curses you will get, its a fact.
The more data points you have on the chart the more accurate it is, just look at the first 6000 min, in both charts you will see a linear correlation.
You changed the algorithm that draws the green line because you dident like it, to one that you like more.
It is important to be honest to yourself and to try to see the world how it is, even if the truth can be harsh. (general speaking)

i like the new curse forgiveness mechanic, this gives people who play a lot a chance to redeem some curses and i think it will make things more balanced

Last edited by Whatever (2020-05-27 07:42:46)

#23 2020-05-27 07:31:29

pein

I got cursed for complaining. I wanted to cook rubber, they were too stupid to know what that is and they kept taking it outside the bakery, so I cursed the guy running around 10 minutes with the cart filled with raw rubber

next life I guess it was him, maybe he has mistaken me with someone maybe not, the butthurt idiot went and made up some excuses to get me cursed multiple time. I really think the abusers of this system would deserve Perma bans.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#24 2020-05-27 07:42:16

Arcurus

Whatever wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/YZ98xTu.png

Which shows a linear correlation, the more you play the more curses you will get, its a fact.
The more data points you have on the chart the more accurate it is, just look at the first 6000 min, in both charts you will see a linear correlation.

yea, 1800 minutes would mean, you play 60 minutes every day for 30 days, thats already quite lot. At around 2000 the correlation between curses and time spent playing is quite linear, but still under 5 curses in average. so i guess 5 curses are not enough to send you to donkey town, except if nearly all play the same time.

#25 2020-05-27 11:38:46

Coconut Fruit

AmberA wrote:

I'm one of the "good" vet players that was sent to donkey town. It's because I have a hard time not going after griefers. Someone kills all the sheep...damn right I'm going to hunt that person until they are cursed and dead. But that makes me a target, that sheep killer is likely to curse me for hunting them down. The random person who didn't see the sheep killing only see me with a bloody knife and also curses me. Taht sheep killer probably had a baby that will also curse me and try to kill me because I'm trying to end their griefer mother. That's 3 curses for trying to save the town. I've gotten better though at getting towns people on my side and letting others initiate the attack so I don't get cursed as often now.

Good thing we have leaders now. Instead of dealing with the problem on your own it's better to just report it to the leader. Leaders can deal with problems like this much quicker and easier and are unlikely to get cursed if they are doing it right.

NOBODY, you are in "big friends" group in Bobo's discord channel, it's good to see that you have hard time trying to go outside of donkey town.
I joined that channel just to check who is there, I left it right after. It's a pathological place...

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2020-05-27 11:42:37)

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

Board footer