One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-25 08:49:06

Crumpaloo

Whats Separates a Good Village from a Great one?

Pretty self-explanatory, and i know everyone has something they deem a priority over the rest of the variables but with all that in mind. What variables have priority over others, by which i mean, what makes a great village great, and a good village good? Where does your short time have the biggest impact?

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#2 2020-05-25 09:01:12

JackTreehorn

Re: Whats Separates a Good Village from a Great one?

A great city in my opinion has separate workstations, storage areas for different supplies and roads connecting to other major cities.
One city in particular stands out in recent times, It was connected to another city and both were often inhabited.
These cities had a rubber tire workshop in between the two making enough tires to supply both cities and export some to smaller villages.

Another feature I like in a great city is security. i.e City walls & Secure wells.

Also a forest of maple trees really helps the development of a city.

Last edited by JackTreehorn (2020-05-25 09:08:35)

Eve Audette

#3 2020-05-25 11:24:43

voy178

Well, a good village does not have an enlarged farm in the centre. The well should be the centre sure, but it should be surrounded by buildings small enough to benefit from the indoor bonus. Each building is designated for a distinct craft and one should be purely communal with food so people aren't in the way of others who work. On the outskirts, we would have farms and pastures placed in a manner that one doesn't have to walk too far to reach the designated working building to complete a chain of goods or food. Now place roads connecting your town centre towards the families that got goods you can't produce yourself.

The result is a relatively efficient village with nice aesthetics. Don't @ me.

#4 2020-05-25 12:43:15

miskas

Designated storage and workshops.

-the bakery has insulation and it is only bakery.
-rubber oven area outside.
-the nursery has pads, knife, thread and it is filled with firewood!
-clothing storage can be the same room with a nursery.
-stew area
-tacos area
-4 separate pens (ships,cows,pigs ducks)
-compost area
-granary (raw food storage)
-engine/Kero storage also has a horse in it for the traveler who brings kero.
-roads to nearby outpost wells
-kindling park connects to smithing
-an area to yum pouch and bottles (milk and broth)

small carrot farm, small berry farm, small bean farm, Big corn storage. wine

rails that connect the farm with the granary.

Last edited by miskas (2020-05-25 13:00:51)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#5 2020-05-25 16:14:33

pein

for the map: i like huge biomes, a big swamp really helps on the long run, you can have more floors and space to build
your speciality biome closeby, 30-50 distance really helps to stay fertile while doing your speciality items
generally big biomes of any kind. they have more useful resources, fragmented ones got weird jackpots and take up a lot of space which you cannot use. too close and too fragmented can be good for you but not for others that come after you, sad to see biome locked items because of careless players. ice can be a bit further since there is no reason to plant there, rubber and glasswort farms need to be close. ice is also self-sustaining for the most part.
hard to get more resources than usual but I would say that clay, reed and stones are always useful, small groups of bushes very close to each other and small groups of rabbits close to camp (haven't saw much of this but you can block the savannah and push rabbits closer to home)

not generic 3x3 farms, enough space to put down items
a few buildings, honestly i don't care much about insulation, just make enough storage on them and optimize for work
i really liked pens connecting to the bakery, it can still have insulation
pork should be further because people still confused about them and has no use taking in an out the bakery all the time
building seem to limit bushes somewhat, so if you put a road and a wall after the bushes, it wont extend that way and possibly will no extend the other way either because symmetry

i would say the most important early is flooring. a lot of times i made fortresses and last time i even made a ring shape butchery and tree walls, people take over and really like them, its unique and more interesting

late-game tree planting before you reach 30 and finish before you got 60 so its sure it grows out
pine for needle firewood and boards
maple for shafts, some poplar for branches and sideway walls that don't cover much

THtO7rz.png
I really liked this, found a well by accident, returned 3 times to build it up, eventually was connected to the new  oil city

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2020-05-25 19:18:53

testo

Property fences.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#7 2020-05-25 20:34:29

DestinyCall

testo wrote:

Property fences.

More or less?

#8 2020-05-26 00:44:26

testo

DestinyCall wrote:
testo wrote:

Property fences.

More or less?

Take a guess smile

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#9 2020-05-26 00:59:38

QuirkySmirkyIan

testo wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:
testo wrote:

Property fences.

More or less?

Take a guess smile

Personally property fence diesel towns make a great town. Also the EVE's grave should be surrounded in double layer at least.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#10 2020-05-26 06:21:22

Coconut Fruit

A great town is a great looking one.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

Board footer