One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-23 08:00:25

miskas

Game is at its best state right now but..

Don't know how the vanilla game feels right now but Hetow Ohol Is at its best state right now.

I really think the searching and navigation of vanilla, the need for yum memory, the difficulty to spot others' names, and finally unable to have a broader view of the city are drawing the experience down.

For me it is wrong to categorize OHOL with other crafting or survival games.
-Think of don't starve but whenever you log in you spawn in a random place with a different random character.
-Think of rust but whenever you log in your base is gone and you might spawn naked or part of the biggest clan out there having all the loot of the word.

These games would be much different with the main premise of OHOL, you only live once and to play again you have to start a NEW life.
Even Eco that is a CO-op, survival, and finite resources game, Is not like OHOL cause of this premise.
People may just don't like this premise in the end. (many /die already cause they don't like this premise, in reality, they want to play a different game.)

I myself wanted to play a different game, to be honest, a game of family domination, that you pick a family and stick with it to survive the longest of all other families. But Ohol on what Jason created for is not at all this kind of a game. I realized this and I accepted it, I don't think Ohol as a game I wanted to be and I love it for what it is purposed to be. I love the game as it is and I will be a longterm fun of it.

What about you, what kind of a game you wanted to play that doesn't fits in the main premise of Ohol?

Last edited by miskas (2020-05-23 08:07:36)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#2 2020-05-23 08:15:13

pein

Re: Game is at its best state right now but..

im ok with the premise, but jason killed most skill-based activities, the duels, the exploration, the horse techs

i remember when he added the well and the bucket, that was my idea, something that linked together higher-tech, gave some options after the well.
but then the rift age  introduced more nerfs to renewable resources, more generic map and gameplay then even when we got out of rift they stayed
the next well upgrade was similar, something that requires more skill and work, but adds more tech, then Jason went silent and no other upgrades or techs, dead content and useless toys

meanwhile, player skill went up, you are not the only pen maker or smith, engine maker, even your options are limited with slots, living to 60 isn't an accomplishment anymore

the latest iron tech is also removing a 4x element and that's kinda sad, exploration and gathering isn't paying off, most activities and playtime isn't rewarded and the resources are fixed, so the more people the less time you got

also, the map feels weird right now, we are close but we are forced out because of the resources, and we die over and over so high-level strategy and organization is  dead

i think some sort of skill-based team fights would be nice, castle sieges, territory control, some sort of periodical teams over lives, a little bit of continuity and world-building, a competition to rule them all, even if the world gets wiped more often, a win condition, not just delaying the demise

more building, wood, stone clay techs and generally different eras and higher scale problems
he tries to force scarcity the wrong way, without ever entering a higher-tech era and having different problems or choices.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2020-05-23 17:29:22

Spoonwood

miskas wrote:

These games would be much different with the main premise of OHOL, you only live once and to play again you have to start a NEW life.

Living only once is not a premise of the game.  Not only does Eve-chaining exist, but reincarnation exists.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2020-05-23 19:26:00

testo

Months ago I decided I wasn´t going to care anymore. I just play hetuw and I wouldn´t play otherwise.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#5 2020-05-24 04:59:38

fug

Hard disagree on the state of the game.

Homelands basically made it so it's impossible to relocate in case of trolls, lack of resources, or bad areas. This means once your family picks a spot you're pretty much stuck with whatever Eve decided which can hinder a village (for example being infertile while doing oil/fishing or desert farming.)

Food nerfs are okay generally honestly but going from one family where food is easy and one family where food is difficult is just kind of dumb imo. I think food based drain rates should be potentially time based like how the eve window went.

Iron nerfs are pretty lame just overall because it didn't do what it was supposed to (like he was told it wouldn't.)

Then of course the trolls and griefers.

I'd say wait until content then worry about calling the game good let alone great right now.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#6 2020-05-25 00:50:44

Spoonwood

Before I bought the game I watched some Twitch streams for I think two weeks.  Mostly SousSage and KibbleBits as I recall.  KibbleBits still has a fair amount of clips on Twitch.  Most of what I saw was early game stuff with both players being Eves.  It looked like a game about rebuilding from scratch.  I remember asking SousSage about atomic powered robots (he told me the game was still under development), so I think I had seen the trailer.

More or less since The Come Together Disaster where spawning got made tight for a bit, and then tweaked several times, most updates haven't been about a game developing where people rebuild from scratch.  Tool limitations... not about players building more, and actually about players building less.  Race limitations... not about players building more.  The Rift, not about players building more.  Posse changes, not about players building more.  Homeland change, not about players building more.  Engine scrapping, definitely not about players building more.  And players trying to ruin others building or trying to build don't have serious consequences like permanent bans for their actions in any case.

So, what sort of game would I want to play instead?  One where the development trajectory was about players building.  One where 'parenting' actually meant players needing to sexually reproduce, since that's also a deep part of the history of how civilization building has worked and will work in the future.  And one where people trying to inhibit others trying to parent or ban civilization could get banned, since they were not playing in the spirit of the game.  In other words, a game where what the game gets advertised as isn't hollow.

But, those words are rather hollow right now and have been for a long time.  And it seems like intentionally so, as the parenting aspect is shallow, and the designed didn't develop the game to help players build, but instead tried to slow them down, and the like.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-05-25 00:52:42)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer