One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-23 18:11:44

voy178

We need to tell the inept players about the new Berry meta

I got cursed for "removing all berry bushes gRiEfeR REEEEEE!!!!!!" today. Well, we had 30 of them and people were still munching on them.

No amount of reasoning on my part could persuade them to accept the truth that Berry bushes must be limited.

I was cursed by a player that does not seem to know how donkey town functions as apparently I'd be spending "a whole month" there because he cursed me... which leads me to believe that people truly do not know how things work in this game.

We need a better tutorial.

#2 2020-05-23 19:10:18

Mr.XIX

Re: We need to tell the inept players about the new Berry meta

I once went to do tutorial when I was cursed into dt.

Once I was escaped I went to go see what other players were doing.

You see them reading and trying to understand the texts, but halfway through, they just stop caring and start running towards the end.

They end up in the "escape" area and die there because they don't know what is expected from them.

We need a better tutorial.

(Also, why can I kill brand-new players when I'm cursed? Because we like hardcore tutorials?)

#3 2020-05-23 19:21:23

testo

There should be an open agreement that 1 berry bush per active player in a town is more than enough. And I mean 1bush per player is actually wasteful, the actual number should be about 0.75 or something like that. In practice that means 18 bushes per city is more than enough, and 12 should be ok for almost all cities in bs2. Considering 4 mutton pies and maybe 15 rabbits for a full rabbit suit and bp thats 6 bowls per player. And that is pushing it way high because even rabbit clothing lasts for 5 hours and backpacks don´t decay. Add one more for a full soil pile per player. That´s 7 sheep food per player per life.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#4 2020-05-23 19:35:16

DestinyCall

On the upside, if you counter-cursed him, you will not need to worry about being born in the same town as that guy for a whole month.   And he would probably flip his shit for being "cursed by a griefer" because he doesn't understand how cursing works.   Win-win!

Regarding over-sized berry patches, I find that the best strategy is containment and division, rather than eradication.   Start by encircling the huge berry patch with pine flooring.   This helps slow or stop berry creep.   Make the border double wide, if possible.   

Planting other crops in nearby areas can help, but be careful of crop-turnover.   Avoid planting crops that tend to get completely cleared, like wheat, right by the berries.   When the wheat is gone, that area might turn into more berries.   Even better than crops, if you can make buildings or work areas, like bakery/sheep pen/smithing area, these structures will usually force berry spread to stop cold.   Unfortunately, if the village was not designed correctly, you can end up with a large farming zone that gets slowly over taken by berry bushes because there are no hard dividing elements or structures preventing berry bush propagation.

Once the berry patch is surrounded, it is time to divide and conquer.   Decide how many bushes you really need and start adding paths made of wood or pine needle flooring.  Plan ahead and make sure to gather your building supplies BEFORE you start to remove the bushes.  That way, it is obvious that you are constructing a new path NOT mindlessly destroying stuff.   People appreciate symmetry, so try to clean up ugly bits and make pleasing patterns, like straight lines and boxes, rather than chaotic patchwork stuff.  After dividing up the large berry patch, you can add double-thick areas for compost piles or water buckets.  Or even three-tile wide pathways to increase open floor space and improve worker efficiency.   

Rather than looking at it as "I want to pull out half of these damn berries" think of it as "I am going to turn half of these berries into useful pathways."   The result is the same - fewer bushes need to be tended.  But a nice berry patch, surrounded and divided by well-designed paths, is more worker friendly and still looks impressive to a vanilla user, while a single compact clump of poorly tended bushes surrounded by bare dirt tiles encourages people to want to "help" by replanting the removed bushes.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-05-23 19:40:58)

#5 2020-05-23 20:34:22

sigmen4020

Doesn’t help that the tutorial makes berries seem like the best food ever.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#6 2020-05-24 02:52:09

DestinyCall

Jason loves his property fences.   Some day he will find a way to force us to use them.

#7 2020-05-24 07:07:08

Dantox

cordy wrote:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ … tled_2.png

....jason replied:

"Leave a paper note inside the fence to avoid confusion, or even a sign, which would be visible outside the fence."

lol lol lol

Did he just suggested making crop signs.... but without actually having crop signs!?!??!

make bread, no war

#8 2020-05-24 07:24:08

DestinyCall

He suggested spending forty five minutes twisting saplings into funny shapes so you can spell out "C A R R O T S" on a regular sign after you spent five to ten minutes setting up a property fence around a plot of land you were planning on turning into a carrot farm some day.   

But now you are dead of old age, so your only legacy is an ugly fence and a sign that says "S T A R C O R", because you didn't have enough tool slots to make a lock.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-05-24 16:09:21)

#9 2020-05-24 22:01:09

Melea

cordy wrote:

Untitled_2.png

I once suggested Crop Signs to stop berry over-planting....

....jason replied: ... "Leave a paper note inside the fence to avoid confusion, or even a sign, which would be visible outside the fence."

lol lol lol

That's a wonderful idea!

If we ever got crop signs, it'd be nice if there was a new object for the sign part. Piece of bark, pulled off pine trees by hand perhaps? Paper or wooden disks would work as well, but make the signs a bit more high-tech.

Skewer + sign bit = blank crop sign
Blank crop sign + [crop] = [crop] sign

or have it work like waystones:

Skewer + sign bit = blank crop sign
Blank crop sign + [crop] = blank sign with [crop] (sitting below the sign)
Use charcoal pencil on Blank sign with [crop] = [crop] sign (black charcoal drawing of the crop)

Lay the sign on the ground and smack with a round stone to stand it up, and remove it with a sharp stone (like a home marker).

Cleanup could be using a hatchet on the sign to get kindling and a skewer. Something like that. We're missing some ability to talk with our future descendants. Other than current letter signs that take up way too much visual space for crop fields, and are difficult to make with the tedious and HUGELY un-intuitive method of making letters from letter stock.

Last edited by Melea (2020-05-24 22:10:39)

#10 2020-05-25 02:01:21

pein

stop fucking 3x3 fields
seriously
stop it

some people are actually not making farms around the well so that's nice when you enter the newcommen era
the logic is that: you get the water using bowls from the well so its closer. but we got like a year ago that you need to use a bucket for advanced well so that era is like 10% of the towns life, so its a dumb thing to optimize for.

I don't think it's so hard to carry a bucket of water for 10 tiles, use a cistern to get the water, so I don't see how that stupid system is better in any way. All I see is that crops that leave a hardened row, eventually get planted with berry seeds and you get more and more of them. People still die when not having berries to munch on, and they eat carrots and even raw corn.
Sheep and pork sits in the pen and nobody does anything about it, for straight 40 minutes or more and you get mass starvations while having plenty of food ingredients sitting around.

I think the crops need to be placed around nearby production lines, spread that town out with more floors.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2020-05-25 11:08:52

voy178

I agree with Pein. No need to have a grand community farm be the town centre when you could split it up and make the farms smaller. There is no way we use all the plots of beans people make.

Board footer