One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-19 18:42:24

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Coming soon: more loose speech character limits

Limiting the characters that a baby can say is cute and thematically appropriate.  It also let's you earn the ability to say more, instead of screaming PENIS as your first word or whatever.  But having the limit grow so slowly over the course of adult life is mostly just annoying. 

Everyone works

around it by

breaking up their

long sentences

anyway.

As a baby, doing this really isn't practical, so most people just use short words and sounds, which is fine.

New curve is the same as before up to age 8, but between 8 and 16, there's a dramatic rise in speech capacity, so you can say a full 66 characters at age 16 (which is more than an elderly person could say before).  Then you gain one character per two years after that, reaching a cap of 88 by old age.  This cap is needed so that, along with map metadata, which can be up to 40 characters long, there can be room in the metadata database for what you write (on paper or on a map).  That database has room for 128 characters per object.

The new speech limit curve looks like this:

TulDbZL.png

#2 2020-05-19 18:57:16

Zerghaikn

Re: Coming soon: more loose speech character limits

I was just thinking about this the other day. I was thinking to double the linear slope, but the logistic function is brilliant. This will help players give orders, express their concerns, and educate new players much easier. I'm excited to see this change to the game.

#3 2020-05-19 19:26:00

Lava

Great now fix the language barrier so we can actually possibly talk to someone other than the whites or our family

#4 2020-05-19 19:32:13

testo

This is good, however it still doesn´t make sense that ingame commands like "I follow x", "order, " and others are part of the speech and follow the character limit.

The most pathological case is "curse", which allows players named "Ty" without a surame to be cursed using 8 characters, while "Harleyquinn Truckenmiller" has the perfect large cover not to be cursed until you hit 31 characters. And no, "curse you" is not the perfect bandaid.

On a similar note, there should be a clause to give every Eve a name at random with the first kid that is named if she hasn´t named her, -no name- families are awful.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#5 2020-05-19 20:00:07

Arcurus

thats great! Just hope that people wont blaber too much

small improvement suggestion:

instead of this ugly "F" from a child, can you replace if it says "F" with with an crying emotion instead? All this "F" looks so ugly....

Another thing related to speech. Would it be possible if you say something with "you" to replace it in the speach automatically with the name next to you (except of course for naming) and give a second so that they can read it? at least for curses this would be great, since its so nerv to be cursed just because you walked on the wrong time on the wrong spot. or allow at least to uncurse... and or an auto-completion for names....

#6 2020-05-19 20:12:04

antking:]#

This is great, the more we can talk the longer messages on paper can be!
is it possible to make talking a skill, no that it takes a skill slot but I mean that the more you talk the more letters you can say, like a small bonus, for a talking a lot, it could just add a few words  to the word curve

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#7 2020-05-19 20:22:47

Dantox

This is pretty neat, its like a breeze of fresh air from the last updates.

make bread, no war

#8 2020-05-19 20:42:37

tocal

testo wrote:

This is good, however it still doesn´t make sense that ingame commands like "I follow x", "order, " and others are part of the speech and follow the character limit.

The most pathological case is "curse", which allows players named "Ty" without a surame to be cursed using 8 characters, while "Harleyquinn Truckenmiller" has the perfect large cover not to be cursed until you hit 31 characters. And no, "curse you" is not the perfect bandaid.

Exactly this.

Otherwise, a good update.

#9 2020-05-19 21:33:44

DestinyCall

Arcurus wrote:

thats great! Just hope that people wont blaber too much

small improvement suggestion:

instead of this ugly "F" from a child, can you replace if it says "F" with with an crying emotion instead? All this "F" looks so ugly.......

If you do that, then babies would not be able to spell out words, one letter at a time.   There is already a cry emote if you just want to get attention, but a crying baby isn't always hungry.

#10 2020-05-20 01:12:24

Zerghaikn

testo wrote:

I don't follow your logic here. Part of the beauty of the commands is that it requires you to be a certain age to curse, follow, order, exile, etc. If you could do this while young, it would be easy for griefers to come in and take advantage of it. Under the new system Jason laid out, you would be able to say 31 characters roughly by age 13. I feel like that's pretty reasonable and realistic.

#11 2020-05-20 06:22:50

DestinyCall

Zerghaikn wrote:
testo wrote:

I don't follow your logic here. Part of the beauty of the commands is that it requires you to be a certain age to curse, follow, order, exile, etc. If you could do this while young, it would be easy for griefers to come in and take advantage of it. Under the new system Jason laid out, you would be able to say 31 characters roughly by age 13. I feel like that's pretty reasonable and realistic.

The problem is that there are times when you really need to use a command and you are arbitrarily unable to do it, because of the text limit.   As testo mentioned, one of the most frustrating examples is that a griefer named Jack Smith is much easier to curse than a griefer name Alexandria Haselhoffmeister.   You might need to wait until your late thirties to curse certain people with especially lengthy names.  And there are times when you witness obvious griefing or murder, but you are unable to warn anyone of the danger OR curse the offender OR defend your home by attacking the threat, because you are too young to anything useful.   It really sucks and could be fixed by changing the ability to curse into a command that ignores the text limit.    Then, you can still do something, even if it won't have an immediate impact in this life.    According to Jason, cursing is supposed to be a way to say "I don't want to play with you" so there's no reason why it should be limited by age.   

The new system is definitely better and should be very useful, but I think testo's point still stands.    Certain functions should NOT be age-restricted.

#12 2020-05-20 06:32:55

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

According to Jason, cursing is supposed to be a way to say "I don't want to play with you" so there's no reason why it should be limited by age.   

The new system is definitely better and should be very useful, but I think testo's point still stands.    Certain functions should NOT be age-restricted.

I think I've said the same before.  And if I haven't I agree with the above.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#13 2020-05-20 11:59:09

JonySky
Website

Players: we need content!
Players: we need new mechanics!
Players: Weather, Stations, Diseases, Multiplayer Vehicles, Disasters, Eliminate Skill Boxes, Eliminate Race Limitations, Eliminate Posse Mechanics!

Jason: ok, more loose speech character limits

#14 2020-05-20 12:34:04

DestinyCall

JonySky wrote:

Players: Weather, Stations, Diseases, Multiplayer Vehicles, Disasters, Eliminate Skill Boxes, Eliminate Race Limitations, Eliminate Posse Mechanics!

At least he didn't add a new restriction this time.   :-)

#15 2020-05-20 12:59:27

testo

Zerghaikn wrote:
testo wrote:

It is imbalanced and unfair because different names have different number of characters. You completely misdirected my post, I don´t mind age speech restrictions. You can even make it to be over 18 to curse or follow if you want, or maybe over 30 to exile (though I wouldn´t like it personally as Destiny pointed). It just has to be standard and same for everyone.

What I am saying is : It doesn´t make sense to have an unfair system of commands that allow players to do things and others don´t based on their name or others name.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#16 2020-05-20 13:58:31

JonySky
Website

DestinyCall wrote:
JonySky wrote:

At least he didn't add a new restriction this time.   :-)

jajajajajaj true!

#17 2020-05-20 16:30:56

pein

a small thing, but it's nice

the rails can be also good toys now that they won't break so often

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#18 2020-05-20 16:51:19

JonySky
Website

pein wrote:

You know rails are just items that players make out of boredom ... but they are useless

and increase speech capacity is also useless in a game where communication is so tedious and impractical

we develop collaborative tasks and mechanics ??? nahhh !!, it is better to put a few more spaces in the texts of the conversations and voila, until next week!

Last edited by JonySky (2020-05-20 16:58:42)

#19 2020-05-20 19:01:46

Arcurus

pein wrote:

do the rails now work in sense are they worth the effort to build them? if so for what do you use it?

#20 2020-05-20 19:41:15

Zerghaikn

testo wrote:
Zerghaikn wrote:
testo wrote:

It is imbalanced and unfair because different names have different number of characters. You completely misdirected my post, I don´t mind age speech restrictions. You can even make it to be over 18 to curse or follow if you want, or maybe over 30 to exile (though I wouldn´t like it personally as Destiny pointed). It just has to be standard and same for everyone.

What I am saying is : It doesn´t make sense to have an unfair system of commands that allow players to do things and others don´t based on their name or others name.

I see now, thanks for clarifying. That is definitely a con of using this design rather than having a "console command"

Board footer