One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-04 14:34:11

pein

New idea for males: one hour half life

This is quite realistic cause males do a lot of dumb stuff, that's why females live longer

Males could have 30-40 minute long lives, this would regulate the Eve flow better, since every time families die out, there are way too many males on the server, sometimes more than 50% more than females. when 30 out of 50 players is male or old female, there is no chance to have healthy families, long lineages and new families.

That's a nerf? Not necessarily, if the age timers count 40 as 60, they would count as long life.
But yeah, other bonus should be possible, for example, a double bonus from positive points and/or half negative score from negative scores for meme score. so males could build up a decent meme score for the next game.

It could also just give more slots so they can work better, since no kids, kinda boring to do the same thing over and over.

With a shorter lifetime, travel wouldn't be as viable but you still could move a few hundred tiles with a horse.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2020-05-04 15:53:10

Dantox

Re: New idea for males: one hour half life

pein wrote:

This is quite realistic cause males do a lot of dumb stuff, that's why females live longer

Females live longer because males tend to have jobs with heavy-labour (with a little of risk of death, sometimes) i dont think this logic applies to OHOL because both women and men can perfom both tasks. However males do tend to do dumb shit sometimes so il give you that!

As much as i would like to change the max cap that we are allowed to live it would still be a no-no for me at least. One hour to live is one of the main premises to this game (that still holds, anyway)

I also dislike the idea of living less than 1 hour since there is times when even 1 hour isnt just enough. I cant imagine just having 40. I am pretty sure there can be another way around it to fix the eve flow without changing the main aspect of the game. (I can also see people /dying due to borning as a male and dont wanting to have a shorter life span)

make bread, no war

#3 2020-05-04 16:03:51

pein

some people already live to 40, while males suicide/die/starve/get killed before 20 they tend to live to 60 when they past that

lot of female players die more often after 40, so they only want to play female and have kids

a faster flow of male players would help a bit on eve spawns

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2020-05-04 16:09:40

Blue tinker

The fact that males die earlier due to them taking on dangerous jobs is already in the game - it's usually the males that go hunting as women may have babies, which is a serious problem during hunting wolves. Also if max lifespan was lowered, it would ruin the premise of the game (one hour = one life). Also I think old men in-game are usually more good to talk with than women, often dropping clues about where is iron (before the iron changes), where are other families, et cetera.

New to the forum but not the game. Property fence enthusiast.

#5 2020-05-04 18:11:47

antking:]#

While I don't like the idea of males living shorter lives I do believe that as Generations move forward families will have more male kids, and I think giving males some extra tool slots, or just giving them some extra pips (to help with hungry work)

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#6 2020-05-04 22:29:35

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Curious... I wonder what the life expectancy of the different genders is in the game, currently... will measure, just a sec.

#7 2020-05-04 22:35:04

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Okay, data from yesterday (Sunday):

1290 Males, average lifespan 21.07
1948 Females, average lifespan 23.09

Women live longer already, which is cool.

#8 2020-05-04 22:59:54

Jojigirl

I'm not surprised that the women in game live longer, most players stay at camp when they are female. Staying at camp lowers your chances of being killed by wild animals and starving.

I would hate to see the male life span shortened. I prefer to be born male over female, it would suck to have my gathering and exploring time shortened during those lives.

#9 2020-05-04 23:15:43

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, not planning to shorten it artificially.

But it's nice that it's shorter naturally.

That's one of the core theses of this game:  that this one difference (having babies vs. not) is responsible for the vast majority of social differences between men and women.

In other words, why women get on the lifeboats first.

This game only has that one difference, and we can already see a difference in life expectancy as a result.

Well, it's either that, or the mental impact of running around with a peen sprite....

#10 2020-05-05 07:16:14

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

That's one of the core theses of this game:  that this one difference (having babies vs. not) is responsible for the vast majority of social differences between men and women.

There is no gestation in game.  So, no, they do NOT have children in game.  They only have a lineage aspect.

Also, men don't have anything to do with reproduction in the game, unlike how they do have a physical contribution in the real world.

Additionally, the sexes differ in the game in that women can feed children via breast milk in game.

This game doesn't tell us anything about the real world.  It's not even a serious attempt at modelling how the sexes are in the real world to any appreciable degree of accuracy.

The game would need fatherhood, and also differences in physical strength between the sexes, to come as even remotely meaningful for using it *to conjecture* about how real world differences work.

jasonrohrer wrote:

I don't think that policy held in communist China when they had their 'one child policy'.

The game also has had an extreme pro-natalist bias, far more of a pro-natalist bias than any culture has ever had, and that confounds everything also.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-05-05 07:19:22)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#11 2020-05-05 07:46:54

Blue tinker

jasonrohrer wrote:

Does that include Sudden Infant Deaths? The average is surprisingly low from my point of view.

New to the forum but not the game. Property fence enthusiast.

#12 2020-05-05 08:43:40

miskas

Jason, your numbers are probably skewed, can /dies be removed from your calculations?

I got the data from the server for 5/may/2020 Monday
http://publicdata.onehouronelife.com/pu … Friday.txt
(removing the disconnects, 99.7% of them are /dies)

male average:     28.9
Female average:  26.9

then data from 4/may/2020 Sunday

male average: 33.9
female average: 33.6

data here

Last edited by miskas (2020-05-05 08:48:29)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#13 2020-05-05 09:24:44

Arcurus

jasonrohrer wrote:

why then let new players start with a genetic score of 30?

Currently taking care of new players in average reduces your score, also for the new players its not a nice experience to see it drop that much in the beginning.  Better use a lower genetic starting age like 15, or at least the average live span for new players....

#14 2020-05-05 11:48:36

pein

yeah, my data was older, but it was easy to see that males don't really live for 20 years, they suicide or starve, I guess a lot of players just starve when they get no attention and they need more time to decide to stay or not

when they did live to 20, they tend to live to 60 way more commonly

without the suicides if there is more females, I guess it will be lower average anyway, we got more unskilled players than skilled ones if you even take away the skilled ones it gonna be really 50-50, maybe some people force-feed girls and clothe them better

I guess the males are higher cause some players just suicide when not a female and starve when things aren't what they like

kills target females, but cursing and random harassment target males more often.

I guess it's player preference, not an actual pattern.

#15 2020-05-05 12:32:50

jinbaili83

dkd2oav.jpg P.S. there ware 77 regular Eves

#16 2020-05-06 08:33:35

TheRubyCart

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yeah, not planning to shorten it artificially.

But it's nice that it's shorter naturally.

This game only has that one difference, and we can already see a difference in life expectancy as a result.

Well, it's either that, or the mental impact of running around with a peen sprite....

should I reinstall or should I change the cache that it making the game impossible to play and BTW which cache is that?

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#17 2020-05-06 23:39:23

Jojigirl

TheRubyCart wrote:

should I reinstall or should I change the cache that it making the game impossible to play and BTW which cache is that?

Either one would work..

Deleting cache is a lot quicker, but at this point you've been asking the same question for days. You could have reinstalled many times over since the first time you asked. lol

If you don't understand how to delete the cache as people have explained to you on how to do it, just reinstall.. Both options work, it's up to you now to fix it.

Last edited by Jojigirl (2020-05-06 23:42:21)

#18 2020-05-07 03:04:52

TheRubyCart

Jojigirl wrote:
TheRubyCart wrote:

Either one would work..

Deleting cache is a lot quicker, but at this point you've been asking the same question for days. You could have reinstalled many times over since the first time you asked. lol

If you don't understand how to delete the cache as people have explained to you on how to do it, just reinstall.. Both options work, it's up to you now to fix it.

cache.fcz reinstallss itself when I start te game

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#19 2020-05-07 04:06:43

Coconut Fruit

One hour one pain...

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

Board footer