One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-29 18:51:09

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Coming soon: posse fixes

To clear up some confusion in the use of posses, and to make a posse harder to evade:

--Players who don't count toward the posse size (twins and previous-short-life-players) now can't even join the posse.  It was confusing before, because they could join, but wouldn't count, and thus it was hard to tell whether the posse was indeed big enough.

--Victim transitions into "terrified" mode (repeated whimpering, off-screen "T" indicator) whenever they are targeted by a posse that is big enough to kill them.  Thus, everyone knows that the posse is big enough, and that the victim is in real danger, when they hear this terrified whimpering.

--Posse members (who are in a large enough posse to kill) do not drop what they are holding when crossing into bad biomes, so no more hiding in there to evade the posse.  (This will obviously be abused to force-drop things in bad biomes---I'll fix this too.)  Essentially, posse members are so on-task that they don't get biome sick.

--When a victim is in "terrified' mode due to being targeted by a large-enough posse, they drop what they are holding and can't pick anything else up.  So, for example, they will dismount from their horse.  Too scared to do anything, essentially.  This auto-drop does NOT happen for solo wilderness posses.  Thus, you can't harass someone in the wilderness by solo targeting them and making them drop what they are holding over and over.

#2 2020-04-29 18:51:57

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Coming soon: posse fixes

Also, some stats yesterday:  there were 9 kills total.  5 group kills, and 4 solo wilderness kills.

#3 2020-04-29 19:26:23

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Fixed so that if you're holding something, and your path starts in a bad biome, you don't drop it if you continue walking in there.  You only get sick entering a bad biome.  So if being in a posse lets you in there without getting sick, you don't suddenly get sick if the posse disbands.

This might also fix a few other edge cases that let people drop things in bad biomes.

#4 2020-04-29 19:40:44

Coconut Fruit

Good changes.

Lately I felt so powerless against griefers, I tried to form a posse a few times but in most cases people are deaf unless they see with their own eyes how someone is griefing.
I don't even try anymore. I just stealth curse a griefer (to avoid being cursed back) and just ignore them.

What I would suggest is instead of making people in a posse faster, I think it would be better to just slow down the potential victim. It may have a few benefits. More people could see the person before they run away, perhaps it would give more time to make big enough posse, and also if griefer is a thief, it would be harder for them to steal things.
I think this would make more sense than having super fast people in a posse. A terrified victim irl could be  making mistakes that's why they run slower.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#5 2020-04-29 21:19:08

Legs

I like the idea of slowing someone down, even to post-murder guilt speed. Make it so that the target has to stand and defend themselves against the accusations. This also gives onlookers more time to discuss and judge the situation before joining, and more time to organize into a posse.

Loco Motion

#6 2020-04-29 23:33:01

miskas

Yip yip for slow! +1 It would help a lot especially with the vanilla field of view that it is common to lose track of your target.

Last edited by miskas (2020-04-29 23:33:53)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#7 2020-04-30 01:05:13

Morti

What a waste of time.

The game should not be about using fear to discourage people.

Players have failed to keep it about love and encouragement.

Jason encourages you all to fail, not to learn, but to turn more would-otherwise-become good people, into sadists.

The potential for good this game once had, loses it's power.

Be warned, this is an obvious invitation for groups to perform wicked acts. But the game mechanics are unreliable, Jason changes things on a whim, so any investment of your time into this world, will be in vane, if you are a group of people looking to cause mayhem for amusement. People who love being innocent, love caring for others, the most important; most mundane tasks of maintaining basic functions, they will quit. Jason will cater to people who cry and complain, making the game worse for your 'posse' of friends, and your friends will get bored of this game and quit.

This is another example of Jason fucking up game design on two fronts simultaneously. Who knows why?

To weed out the most passionate people, at both extremes?

You would think that someone making a game with a parenting mechanic, would play a little more towards the strengths people gain from being in a good family; the lessons, of good families, should be here. The mental and social skill, strengths, that a good strong education, tempered by two sides. In reality, children's wits are sharpened by a mother on one side, and a father on the other. In this game, that temperament is done between one person, and no one.

I see where Jason really failed with this game. He didn't make a multiplayer game with today's multiplayer mechanics in mind. He had so much fun, with this game, - he was so enthusiastic - before people started dumping strategies on forums, and coordinating outside the game, via voice chat. The modern multiplayer experience's of Rust, MOBAs, Arena Shooters and the Raid mechanics of MMORPGs like WoW, have geared people with technology, to overcome wonder.
Wonder, was this game's strength. The unknown certainty of the future, and a mother, to keep you warm and fed, while you get on your feet.

That wonder is taken away with every mechanic added that stands to benefit, from the outside world, corrupting, what is inside each new player; that unknown, that wonder. In my opinion you should not cave, into that modern MMO mindset, Jason. Keep the game about anonymity. Keep families independent and far apart. Throw the 'Eve Spiral' algorithm out the window and just spawn people wildly across the map with no need for others, true, Adam and Eve style. Everything from nothing, but a mother and her children. If they manage to make it for many generations, and their family grows, then, spice it up gradually with diversity. You could have even taken a cue from reality, and started with black people and the diversity could have come as players gained lighter and lighter skin colors from their descendants, until you have your need for oil, and your family starts producing it's lightest skinned offspring.

It is already too late to make sense of the past in light of the present state of the game, but perhaps both, past and present, can serve the future.

At least this game's history will be an interesting series, of fumbles.

#8 2020-04-30 09:06:28

Tipy

Bring back pre-warsword combat please

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

#9 2020-04-30 10:58:41

JonySky
Website

hahahaha, this week's update: update a broken system that nobody likes

Until next week!

Next week: some values will be changed to balance the game with the current 50 players, but will change again if 55 players enter

and next month: more restrictions ... I have noticed that there are still people having fun at OHOL ... it cannot be allowed!

Last edited by JonySky (2020-04-30 11:07:39)

#10 2020-04-30 11:01:42

Blue tinker

Good changes, if the posse system stays forever.

I think that many mechanics are getting too complex. Why a player can't single-handedly attempt to stab someone?
It's a) unintuitive
b) unrealistic
c) takes away players' choice. I can do only good things as an invisible force blocks me from doing evil. One of the biggest strengths of the game was a pretty accurate simulation of rising and falling civilizations. If a town falls because of some killers, then it's because it wasn't well prepared. Only the strongest and best prepared will survive the longest.

I could also protect my property if I had a working knife.
Again, nice to see existing mechanics being improved but I miss the shift+rightclick killing.

New to the forum but not the game. Property fence enthusiast.

#11 2020-04-30 16:51:00

Coconut Fruit

I remember how much griefing we had at some point when curses were totally broken and useless. And I remember how little of griefing we had, with old killing system and working curses again. Could play for days without seeing a single griefer. It was enough to pull your knife out of backpack to stop a griefer... They just didn't want to die.

If cursing was reworked that we could curse only our family memebers and families in peace, even property fences would make so much sense then. Peaces/wars, protecting stuff from other families, healers, healing... That could be damn fun.

Protecting from griefers inside of family should never happer. Griefing our family should never happen, it makes this game so much worse.

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2020-04-30 18:16:49)

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#12 2020-05-02 04:36:42

MistressZues

I love this idea!

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#13 2020-05-02 15:05:41

pein

one of the worse changes was removing skill-based combat cause "muh, I can't kill anyone" when jason tried to do it.
assuming that one player is bad and the other is good, and giving all the power to the attacker is bad, especially in reverse case when someone makes up excuses to kill

at least when they knew that they can be killed, they didn't do bullshit like picking up a horse and stealing several items in front of you, cause they knew  they can't mess with veterans, or they soon learned the hard way
I was stabbing triplets who thought they got an advantage so they can do whatever, I took them down one by one
I still see people who try to stab others, so some restrictions are good that people can't just kill others easily but that can be solved with a skill cap
I could even imagine that you need to make your own knife to use it, but then meh slots

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer