One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-28 06:48:05

Crumpaloo

Griefer Steals Tools and Cant kill Him?

Got born to a village with no last name where someone named Dan was in the process of stealing all the towns tools. I dont know if people had cursed him before i was born but someone with a knife was trying to kill him to drop the cart of tools and was attempting to get people to join her. Ended up getting about 5 people doing the angry face and yet somehow she still couldn't kill him.

Eventually the guy just took the cart off into the wilderness with a horde of people trailing after him. About 30 minutes later a couple of the people who originally chased the guy into the woods brought back the cart of tools which was nice but still, how was this guy not killed the second he did something like this? It took 5 people chasing him into the woods for god knows how long to bring the tools back and grinded the whole village to a halt.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#2 2020-04-28 07:47:06

ahead

Re: Griefer Steals Tools and Cant kill Him?

Jason added a restriction where if a person lived a life less than 10 minutes, on their next one they would be unable to be counted towards a posse.

Sorry, nothing

#3 2020-04-28 07:58:10

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

ahead wrote:

Jason added a restriction where if a person lived a life less than 10 minutes, on their next one they would be unable to be counted towards a posse.

He actually changed it to 20 minutes

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#4 2020-04-28 08:34:24

Karelian

Ah I had similiar experience. So Jason added weaklings = (SID babies).
Maybe visualize this somehow? Spawn the characters that cannot join posse with weakling model/color alteration/some other easy to add marker?
Also should the people that cannot join posse (weaklings + babies) not count in calculation for personnel required to stab someone?
If they wouldn't, it would greatly reduce the power of weaklings, and give power to strong players that play till adult for all of their lives.

#5 2020-04-28 14:10:46

Dantox

ahead wrote:

What is the reasoning on this one? Griefers can exploit this easily

make bread, no war

#6 2020-04-28 14:50:24

DestinyCall

Dantox wrote:
ahead wrote:

What is the reasoning on this one? Griefers can exploit this easily

Here is the github description:

"If your last life was a short life (currently under 10 years, a live server setting), then you are not counted toward posse size when you join a posse. This prevents people from die-cycling to find their friends and then gang up on people to kill them. You earn the right to join a posse by surviving through childhood in your previous life. This is similar to the twin restriction on being counted toward a posse. People who are die-cycling to find each other are essentially non-identical twins."

Notice that he doesn't limit this to /die babies, since it is based on "early" deaths up to ten years of age.    So if you were killed by a griefer at age 5 in a previous life or starved to death as the child of an overburdened Eve, you will be unable to join a posse in your next life.     

This change was apparently aimed at deterring players from exploiting the rebirth mechanics to be born together in the same town for purposes of griefing.    But since you can just coordinate using Discord and use expert waystones to find the same town, it is a pointless "fix" that just makes posse-formation even more opaque and difficult to grasp for the average player.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-04-28 14:57:28)

#7 2020-04-28 15:16:16

Cantface

Yeah now griefers can just kill a bunch of people by breeding boars or poking bears and hiding weapons. I'm so tired of seeing the game getting worse, I just want solo killing back at this point but of course it's harder now than ever before to stop ppl from messing with towns. Once again griefers get the upper hand after these flubbed posse updates like should we even be surprised at this point?

Breasticles

#8 2020-04-28 19:12:19

DestinyCall

I am no fan of the current posse system, but keep in mind that bringing back solo killing would be great for griefers.   We would have a murder extravaganza, as everyone "explored the new content".    It would be like the Purge, but with more gooseberry bushes.

Might be kind of funny to watch, but I wouldn't want to try doing anything useful until everyone got done murdering each other no reason.

#9 2020-04-28 19:16:31

jasonrohrer
Administrator

It's either hard to kill people, or easy to kill people.

You want it to be hard for griefers to kill people, but easy for good people to kill people.

You can't have it both ways.

#10 2020-04-28 19:18:04

jasonrohrer
Administrator

But I will make it so that "weaklings" who can't join a posse literally can't join it (they won't get the angry face or any of that).  Saying I JOIN YOU won't work for them.

#11 2020-04-28 19:22:30

Crumpaloo

DestinyCall wrote:

I am no fan of the current posse system, but keep in mind that bringing back solo killing would be great for griefers.   We would have a murder extravaganza, as everyone "explored the new content".    It would be like the Purge, but with more gooseberry bushes.

Might be kind of funny to watch, but I wouldn't want to try doing anything useful until everyone got done murdering each other no reason.

Might as well make every player invincible to being killed at this rate, its use as a game mechanic is becoming less valued by the day, with the 10 step posse system griefers can fuck up your town unimpeded. At-least in solo killing days you could stop people in they're tracks as soon as they started griefing, now a days you need to chase someone in the wilderness 500 tiles before they starve to death just to get your stuff back...

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#12 2020-04-28 19:23:32

DestinyCall

Can we get non-lethal weapons?    I'd like to be able to take someone down temporarily, if they are acting squirrelly.  A weapon that causes stun lock or item drop would be useful against horse theives, for example.

It shouldn't be a binary choice - kill or do not kill.   We should have options.   Different levels of response for different severity of crimes.

#13 2020-04-28 19:30:39

Cantface

I agree crump, solo killing wasn't that bad compared to what we have now. It was a lot easier to take out griefers and you could be killed easily yes BUT that was still better than some magical killing group and voodoo 'weaklings'. What about the babies who are born and abandoned? Or ppl that have no choice but to live less than twenty minutes? Complete flubbery.

Edit: multiple ppl including myself have asked for non lethal measures but you should know that they are always ignored Destiny, just like most suggestions here.

Last edited by Cantface (2020-04-28 19:36:29)

Breasticles

#14 2020-04-28 19:43:10

DestinyCall

I do not miss witnessing murders in every town and dealing with murder cascades, where one griefer triggers a string of revenge killings, or constantly making pads  in preparation for the next serial killing.    New players were the victims of a lot of random killing, both by actual griefers and by grumpy vets who "teach" by stabbing the knowledge into whomever eats a carrot or waters the wrong berry bush.

I do not miss all that killing.  At all.

But the current system is janky and hard to use.   I do not like it or understand how to use it or how to clearly explain it to other people.   I do not want to go back to the bad old days of random murder everywhere but I do not want to keep making posses stupider and weirder.

My gut feeling is that the posse system should tie-in with the hierarchy system.    I'd like to see the village have a single unified hierarchy, starting with the Eve and passed from mother to daughter.   The top of the chain will always be an older woman, with everyone in the family sharing the same hierarchy structure.   Killing within your hierarchy requires a osse.       If you are exhiled by your leader

#15 2020-04-28 19:43:11

Crumpaloo

jasonrohrer wrote:

You want it to be hard for griefers to kill people, but easy for good people to kill people.

Why not just give us a middle ground?

Going back and forth between extremes like solo killing and the posse system  doesn't seem to be working, so why not just have solo killing with restrictions? That way its more accessible to those who want to stop griefers, while still having some limitations to prevent killing sprees? Gives medics something to do, might even bring back a defunct sort of law enforcement to walk around the town looking for people trying to randomly stab. This game also needs some kind of non-lethal way of stopping someone, after-all why stab someone who could be innocent when you could just incapacitate them and talk it through?

#16 2020-04-28 19:47:30

pein

a girl named "slave shoe" was stealing boards, tools and run around with it, ruining my work for no reason

she made up an excuse cause I trapped the other troll in there

like 5 people and we couldn't kill her and she just spent her life-ruining the place I made

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#17 2020-04-28 19:50:36

DestinyCall

I do not miss witnessing murders in every town and dealing with murder cascades, where one griefer triggers a string of revenge killings, or constantly making pads  in preparation for the next serial killing.    New players were the victims of a lot of random killing, both by actual griefers and by grumpy vets who "teach" by stabbing the knowledge into whomever eats a carrot or waters the wrong berry bush.

I do not miss all that killing.  At all.

But the current system is janky and hard to use.   I do not like it or understand how to use it or how to clearly explain it to other people.   I do not want to go back to the bad old days of random murder everywhere but I do not want to keep making posses stupider and weirder.

My gut feeling is that the posse system should tie-in with the hierarchy system.    I'd like to see the village have a single unified hierarchy, starting with the Eve and passed from mother to daughter.   The top of the chain will always be an older woman, with everyone in the family sharing the same hierarchy structure as they automatically join the established family structure under their mother.    Killing within your hierarchy requires a posse.     Killing someone in a different hierarchy requires a declaration of war (remember those?).  If you are exiled by your leader, you get marked as a exile to anyone you encounter in that life .... and anyone can target the exile for a solo kill.   Leaders can also pardon exiles and allow then to return to their original hierarchy or join a new one.   And individual villagers (not exiled) can choose to follow a new leader or follow no one at all, once they reach adulthood.

I think that would make for some interesting interactions both between and within villages.

#18 2020-04-28 19:50:56

Crumpaloo

Cantface wrote:

I agree crump, solo killing wasn't that bad compared to what we have now. It was a lot easier to take out griefers and you could be killed easily yes BUT that was still better than some magical killing group and voodoo 'weaklings'. What about the babies who are born and abandoned? Or ppl that have no choice but to live less than twenty minutes? Complete flubbery.

Edit: multiple ppl including myself have asked for non lethal measures but you should know that they are always ignored Destiny, just like most suggestions here.

In general i just wanna see player freedom expanded, not contracted, and there have been alot of examples of said player freedom being limited:

. Race Restricted Biomes

. Restricted Killing System

. Restricted Water and Iron

. Restricted Food Values

. Restricted Homelands

. Restricted Tool Slots

Alot of things becoming restricted but not alot of increase in freedom as to what we as players can do, its like were cows being corralled in a shrinking barb wire fence, and every-time we try to get past the fence to greener pastures we get cut on it and begrudgingly trod on back to the middle.

Last edited by Crumpaloo (2020-04-28 20:03:16)

#19 2020-04-28 20:12:29

Cantface

I wholeheartedly agree with you again crumpaloo and that's why I've moved on to greener pastures (wink wonk). Ohol is just...too hostile and restrictive to play. I refuse to play something that effects my mood so negatively and causes too much frustration for me to even think clearly. It's just unhealthy in all honesty and I've seen it happen to people here too. I'm too sensitive a person for this bull and shit is getting too elitist with every janky new update introduced. More toxicity and less fun just like we always wanted! Not.

Breasticles

#20 2020-04-28 21:20:13

tobiasisahawk

jasonrohrer wrote:

Just make it so you can only attack one person per life.  Towns can then deal with griefers but griefers can't be serial killers.  Way easier to understand than the posse system.  If you want to make it thematic you could make it so after you kill someone you forget how to use weapons and can't learn them again (post traumatic stress from attacking someone.)

#21 2020-04-28 21:52:49

fug

The problem with the posse system is how goofy it is in the first place, especially with the restrictions.

The last two weeks I've played Eve my camp has either been griefed to death or nearly griefed to death and both times I was essentially unable to do anything. It's absolutely frustrating to essentially have your only defense be curses when the griefing happens. Back in the day you just murdered, cursed, and moved them elsewhere (which is still a problem.)

We solved the issue of one guy killing 20 people, but we swapped to the other end of the spectrum where 20 people can't kill one person.

BUFF POSSE SPEEDS It's unreasonable to think of people out running horses, but at the same time someone on a horse is basically invincible due to not being able to outspeed them. Maybe someone who is targeted drops their item? It solves the horse issue.

DONT LET PEOPLE GASPING INTO BAD BIOMES Better yet, make it so people growling don't drop their weapons when entering a bad biome. Absolutely goofy the best defense against a weapon is dehydration.

WARN PEOPLE WHO ARE TARGETED HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE NEEDED This should just be a gimme. You have no idea if the posse of two or three are dangerous to you unless you know the math behind the posse system. DING *In this area a posse of three is required to attack you.*

I know you keep arguing having a disarm system is bad but trolls in the communities are idiots (check toxic blabbing about his dumb plan.) Having the means to just smack shit out of their hand would go a good way towards removing their killing parties.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#22 2020-04-28 22:18:38

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I hear you on chasing someone who's on a horse.  Obviously, the force drop would have to happen ONLY if the required posse size was formed against you.  Otherwise, idiots could make you force-drop stuff at will just by targeting you.

But can you not re-pick-up something while targeted?  Too scared to grab anything?  So to stop a thief, you just need to form the right size posse, and they drop what they are holding and can't steal it?

And yeah, posse members won't auto-drop in bad biome (if they are part of a big enough posse).  I'll change that.

Will also do the DING thing if you are targeted by one person, letting you know how many are needed (the would-be killer gets a ding only, currently).

#23 2020-04-28 22:42:08

fug

I'd just treat it like every other emote which forces things out of your hands and blocks pick up. Otherwise people would just quickly click again to get back on their horse. Horses are always going to be a weird mechanic with the system because you'll either have people out running horses (weird) or someone dropping the horse (why would you get off your horse if running away?) It's a situation where you have to pick which you'd rather see in game (dropping at least stops the classic pie thief running away with all the towns pies.)

Ding is good because otherwise you have no idea if you're safe or not.

And of course removing protection in bad biomes is a nice change as well.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#24 2020-04-28 23:06:05

Legs

Isn't there an audio cue that your character does when a viable posse is formed? Like a scared version of the murder mouth grumbling?

Loco Motion

#25 2020-04-28 23:15:25

Coconut Fruit

Posse system makes it that community decides if someone should be killed.
But in the old killing system community decided as well if the stabbed person should be healed or not. We healed good people and didn't heal griefers.

The old system wasn't that bad. Griefers were winning only when we had no healers. Yeah, in current times it would be harder to keep up with making enough healing pads, we just don't make that many sheep as we did before food changes. But if pads were buffed, I mean we could craft let's say 3 or even 6 pads from a single ball of thread, it would work well. And we would have no unnecessary magic in the game.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

Board footer