One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-26 23:36:25

Jamie

Has anyone tried using fences like Jason says?

So Jason insists Fences are the solution to griefing. Basically he wants to privatize everything within a town, Inherit from the previous owners and eventually add new people.

The fear is people will be greedy and refuse to work together. Do we actually know this because I've never seen anybody try this earnestly.

So I feel like workers should be added to every gate, It's only griefers and trolls you'd want to keep out. Griefers could still get in via social engineering but let's be real, If you add Dick Balls and 5min later sheep get killed. It was Dick Balls.

Just think of it as communism but not everybody is welcome. You don't have to lock every station, I don't see griefers target Forge that often even though they have full access.

You could just have privatized storage areas with the majority of the resources inside. Everything else is just added security. Again it dose not have to be some exclusive club, Most people aren't griefers.

#2 2020-04-26 23:49:42

SirCaio

Re: Has anyone tried using fences like Jason says?

Fences are still too clunky to use and maintain plus all the annoying walking around asking people for simple stuff... yeah, I'm not sure how he'd be able to inject this playstyle into the playerbase...

#3 2020-04-26 23:49:46

testo

Hint: they don´t work.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#4 2020-04-26 23:58:29

DestinyCall

Have you actually tried privatizing everything?     When fences/gates were first introduced, plenty of people were building fences and trying out private property.    Sometimes it worked pretty well.  Most of the time it did not.      Sometimes there would be a "family homestead" built near a regular town, with the gate ownership passed from mother to daughter.   Other times, we'd have derpy fences built in weird places or blocking stuff or looking ugly.   During the rift times, we had entire towns fenced in with gates.   As soon as we got out of the box, people stopped fencing towns.  It was too much work.    I've occasionally seen people build fences around farms or try to use a fenced area as a private workspace.   These structures rarely last once the original owner dies.  We mostly just use property fences as cheap sheep pens now, replacing the property fencing with wood fences later on.    It's also really handy as a way to trap and kill someone you don't like.   Or just whoever is dumb enough to walk inside.   Or babies.   

We went back to the old way of doing it, because it was simpler and worked just as well (or better) than dealing with constructing and properly maintaining a bunch of property fences and locked gates.    Privatized resource management sounds like a good idea on paper, but in practice, property fencing tends to be a lot of time invested in a project that doesn't really do much to help the town.   As you mentioned, most of the town is NOT actively griefing.   Which means when you build a property fence to keep out the griefers, you are putting in a lot of time, effort, and real estate to construct a fence that is only needed to keep out a few people. And if the gate ownership is mis-managed, it might even harm the town.   Good workers NEED access to resources.   If they are unable to get gate access when they need it, anything locked behind a property gate is completely inaccessible to them.    Finding someone to unlock the gate or grant ownership costs precious time ... and might even cost a life, if the locked goods are needed for vital village services like food production, water production, or tool production.    You know ... all the very important things you want to keep away from a potential griefer.

It's also worth mentioning that gate ownership works as a white-list system only.   Once a person is added as a gate owner, that ownership cannot be revoked.   Which means if you give gate ownership to your son as a baby, but he grows up to be a bad seed, you can't remove him from the gate.   He has free access until he dies (or gets killed by a posse).     This suggests that "best practice" would be to delay granting ownership until your children are older and "proven" to be good players.    But that means your good kids are also being locked out of gate ownership, along with the bad ones, and unable to work as efficiently to help the village.    It's like DRM .. it punishes people who play by the rules in an effort to stop a few rule breakers.    Since there are generally a lot more GOOD players than BAD players, I don't think a gate system would provide a net benefit to the village.     Doing a good job of ensuring that everyone who deserves to be on the white-list is granted access as soon as they needed it will take a lot of attention and effort on the part of everyone in the village.   Meanwhile, griefers will just wait until they are given ownership of the gate before they strike ... or find other ways to break the village without gaining ownership at all.   

All that being said, if you want to explore the benefits and problems with private property, don't just take my word for it.   Get in the game and play around with fences.    Decide for yourself.   Perhaps there is a place for property fences in the current meta.   Jason would love that.   He's tried so hard to force us to use the damn things.   It would justify ALL the nerfs in his mind, I'm sure.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-04-27 00:08:33)

#5 2020-04-27 00:15:53

JonySky
Website

DestinyCall wrote:

Have you actually tried privatizing everything?     When fences/gates were first introduced, plenty of people were building fences and trying out private property.    Sometimes it worked pretty well.  Most of the time it did not.      Sometimes there would be a "family homestead" built near a regular town, with the gate ownership passed from mother to daughter.   Other times, we'd have derpy fences built in weird places or blocking stuff or looking ugly.   During the rift times, we had entire towns fenced in with gates.   As soon as we got out of the box, people stopped fencing towns.  It was too much work.    I've occasionally seen people build fences around farms or try to use a fenced area as a private workspace.   These structures rarely last once the original owner dies.  We mostly just use property fences as cheap sheep pens now, replacing the property fencing with wood fences later on.    It's also really handy as a way to trap and kill someone you don't like.   Or just whoever is dumb enough to walk inside.   Or babies.   

We went back to the old way of doing it, because it was simpler and worked just as well (or better) than dealing with constructing and properly maintaining a bunch of property fences and locked gates.    Privatized resource management sounds like a good idea on paper, but in practice, property fencing tends to be a lot of time invested in a project that doesn't really do much to help the town.   As you mentioned, most of the town is NOT actively griefing.   Which means when you build a property fence to keep out the griefers, you are putting in a lot of time, effort, and real estate to construct a fence that is only needed to keep out a few people. And if the gate ownership is mis-managed, it might even harm the town.   Good workers NEED access to resources.   If they are unable to get gate access when they need it, anything locked behind a property gate is completely inaccessible to them.    Finding someone to unlock the gate or grant ownership costs precious time ... and might even cost a life, if the locked goods are needed for vital village services like food production, water production, or tool production.    You know ... all the very important things you want to keep away from a potential griefer.

It's also worth mentioning that gate ownership works as a white-list system only.   Once a person is added as a gate owner, that ownership cannot be revoked.   Which means if you give gate ownership to your son as a baby, but he grows up to be a bad seed, you can't remove him from the gate.   He has free access until he dies (or gets killed by a posse).     This suggests that "best practice" would be to delay granting ownership until your children are older and "proven" to be good players.    But that means your good kids are also being locked out of gate ownership, along with the bad ones, and unable to work as efficiently to help the village.    It's like DRM .. it punishes people who play by the rules in an effort to stop a few rule breakers.    Since there are generally a lot more GOOD players than BAD players, I don't think a gate system would provide a net benefit to the village.     Doing a good job of ensuring that everyone who deserves to be on the white-list is granted access as soon as they needed it will take a lot of attention and effort on the part of everyone in the village.   Meanwhile, griefers will just wait until they are given ownership of the gate before they strike ... or find other ways to break the village without gaining ownership at all.   

All that being said, if you want to explore the benefits and problems with private property, don't just take my word for it.   Get in the game and play around with fences.    Decide for yourself.   Perhaps there is a place for property fences in the current meta.   Jason would love that.   He's tried so hard to force us to use the damn things.   It would justify ALL the nerfs in his mind, I'm sure.

I would add that the system for giving fence permissions is slow and annoying ...

you have to write the order and the person's name exactly and with the other player right next to you, and sometimes it doesn't work well

And if you are not an English speaking player you have to memorize and look carefully at what you write ...

In short, something that in other games is solved with a simple circle of actions (rust style), in ohol is overly complicated (any order)

It has always seemed to me that the game has to improve the options menus in general

#6 2020-04-27 00:22:01

Legs

There's a basic issue of trust here. During a lifetime, you're lucky to find one or two trustworthy people in your town. Finding them usually takes a long time. It's not until you're 30 and you've seen your cousin Dave working hard on a few projects that you can trust him. Kids just haven't been with the town long enough to ever be trustworthy. Unless it's an exception like some boy who immediately runs to the forge to work on an engine at 5 years old there's no way to know.

So, it takes a lot of time to build trust. Property ownership only lasts an hour at most. By the time you find a successor, that's probably halved. The timing just doesn't work. Even with property, you can't pass it on with confidence. Blind luck is the only realistic way to choose a successor, and that opens it up to griefing or ineptitude. It's more likely you'll pass the sheep pen off to a griefer that's going to kill them all than someone responsible who cares enough to make it his occupation. Fence off the berries and your son will be some new player that just wanders off to ignore the responsibility.

Maybe if we could bless people, so we know who we can trust between lives...

Loco Motion

#7 2020-04-27 00:23:10

antking:]#

what if we used the Hiarcky system? have people higher up on the chain be able to remove people from property lower on the chain? as how it stands now moms, are the only ones who grow this chain, and if your creating family fence you'll be able to black list any of your kids or Grandkids, and it should be your job to find one or two of your kids to inherit your fence, so they can make those choices

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#8 2020-04-27 01:30:53

Jamie

I agree that you should be able to remove people from the Gates. I wasn't saying the Fence System is perfect but I do think People here have alot of Trust issues. Maybe you're right or maybe your standards are too high.

You say asking is annoying but also that few can trusted. It's paradoxical, You don't use fences due to a lack of trust yet the alternative is almost no security what so ever.

What if we had the ability to remove other peoples access and Less maintenance heavy fences for established zones. You make fun of Berry Munchers for never changing, How about setting an example then.

Last edited by Jamie (2020-04-27 01:34:22)

#9 2020-04-27 02:14:02

antking:]#

you know what if fences were able to opened by anyone? and that if the fence door is opened by a none owner all owners would get an alert, this will stop that trust issue that people keep on talking about and will stop the events where a griefer hordes all the resources, not only that but if anyone would be aloud to open fences we would suddenly get thief's and a whole new thing to create drama for RP, and it also makes more sense

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#10 2020-04-27 03:59:59

Jojigirl

Just be careful playing around with property fences.. There are a group of idiots who will curse you for building it because "fEnCe is bad reeeee"

#11 2020-04-27 04:21:39

DestinyCall

People don't like property fences, Joji.     That doesn't make them idiots, it makes them realistic.

#12 2020-04-27 04:30:08

Jojigirl

Not everyone uses fences in a bad way...  It does make them idiots..  I've seen many people use them to store items they gather themselves for a project they are working on, only to get cursed by some idiot for doing so..  The "Holier than thou" mindset some people have when playing this game is idiotic.

Property fences are a part of the game, if someone chooses to use them, then they should not get cursed for it.. They paid for the game just the same and should be able to make fences if they choose to do so.

Last edited by Jojigirl (2020-04-27 07:01:20)

#13 2020-04-27 04:36:22

Jamie

DestinyCall wrote:

People don't like property fences, Joji.     That doesn't make them idiots, it makes them realistic.

That's just close minded. If the person is actually griefing then curse them for that, Fair play.

But simply because they wanted to spice up gameplay with some roleplay or just wanted to do their own thing. Hating somebody just because they play differently is shitty, Not realist.

#14 2020-04-27 04:42:36

Jamie

antking:]# wrote:

you know what if fences were able to opened by anyone? and that if the fence door is opened by a none owner all owners would get an alert, this will stop that trust issue that people keep on talking about and will stop the events where a griefer hordes all the resources, not only that but if anyone would be aloud to open fences we would suddenly get thief's and a whole new thing to create drama for RP, and it also makes more sense

That is a good idea.

#15 2020-04-27 06:41:32

Blue tinker

antking:]# wrote:

That sounds great! Like in real life you have to work hard to keep all your stuff safe. Maybe anyone could open the gates but it would take them more time. That way the owner would have time to react. It reminds me of the early days of property fences when we would guard our gates from other people until the fences become stable. I remember guarding my private farm with my son... ah, good times.

The only problem I see is that... how are we gonna punish those who steal our stuff? In my opinion the killing system would have to be reverted back to the old one. I appreciate the changes, I see why they have been done, but I miss the times when having a knife actually mattered and was a great power and a great responsibility. Usually it was the elders and pro players that had knives. It really was something (also pads had a purpose. I haven't seen them being made in a long time). Now seeing multiple knives just lying around is not a rarity. Noone likes griefers but for now it's what gives the game some drama and encourages players to group up against the greater evil. There are even factions of some sort ('He's a griefer, let's curse him'; 'No I have seen him doing good things, he's innocent!')

tl;dr: The aforementioned idea sounds amazing but we need to bring the old killing system back (or introduce a new punishing system).

New to the forum but not the game. Property fence enthusiast.

#16 2020-04-27 07:44:22

DestinyCall

Jamie wrote:

You say asking is annoying but also that few can trusted. It's paradoxical, You don't use fences due to a lack of trust yet the alternative is almost no security what so ever.

It's actually not as paradoxical as it appears.   It takes a lot of time and personal attention to solidly confirm that another villager is trustworthy.   If there are ten people in the village, you will not have enough time to meet each one and learn enough about them to judge their character.  In this game, you are lucky if you even get to know your own kids that well.

So if you are using a system that requires confirming that each person is trustworthy and responsible enough to handle special access before it is granted, then you will need to waste a lot of time vetting potential candidates.  After you die, someone else must carry on this duty for as long as the security system is functional.

In contrast, if you use a blacklist system (like cursing and posse-killing) to deal with bad seeds, you can start with the assumption that most players are NOT griefers.  If this assumption is true, everyone can have full access to all things.   Basically, you are trusting everybody to do the right thing.   And if anyone get caught doing the WRONG thing ... there will be consequences.

It might feel like our villages have no security, but that's not accurate.   We just do not use locked doors for security, because providing our hard workers with access to important supplies is more important than denying access to potential griefers.   

The "share everything" meta breaks down if you can't trust most players to do their best to help the village.    But if most players are working against the village, it is probably too late to save it, so hopefully the assumption is correct.   In contrast, the property fence system breaks down as soon as gate access is granted to the wrong person.   This is almost certain to happen eventually.

#17 2020-04-27 09:43:10

Dodge

Fences where only used by players during the rift because it made sense to keep their family protected, right now every family works together so making fences would be dumb, jason thinks that players should privatize everything to avoid it being griefed but he doesn't understand that you get born in a family so making fences to protect stuff from your own family members is illogical and then wonders why players dont use fences like the game is rust or something.

If the game was different players would play differently but that's a concept that jason seems to have a hard time wrapping he's head around or he thinks that how the game is currently justifies building fences but it doesn't.

Over time he added a lot of unintuitive and complicated mechanics as a sort of patch or bandaid for player behaviour instead of changing the game in a much more simpler way and right now with all these changes especially the family restriction i dont see fences being a thing no matter how much he tries or how many other work around he puts in place.

Game needs a serious overhaul to the way it's played on a fundamental level but with he's way of doing things i'm not sure it will ever be the case.

#18 2020-04-27 11:33:05

miskas

I have used a lot of fences throughout the game.

For offspring/gene score interest,
Clothes storage
personal-storage.png

Yum storage, animal Safehouse
yum-animal-safehouse.png

For village security,
Engine safehouse
engine-safehouse.png

For better use of the village's resources
Carrot warehouse (compost and animal feed production
carrot-storage.png

Berry monopoly and carrot warehouse( ensures that berrymunchest won't eat berries wasting village water, A person that works on it will have to provide the village with animal feed and compost )
berry-monopoly-carrot-storage.jpg

The carrot warehouse and Especially the Berry monopoly required someone to Be working on them as they are village utilities and not personal storage.

ALL OF These are useful for their purpose But they require work. The work they require maybe is too much for the people and don't care about the village/family so much to do this work. In the end, the functionality they help with might not be Important enough.

Berry muncher waste water but does this bother us enough?
Your kids need clothes but they can live without them as well or make their own. Even giving them clothes is not so important in the end some of them just die clothed anyway.
Your village needs animals to survive but if someone kills them there are enough more to take from the wilderness.
Engine is useful but eh most people dont break them and many villages don't reach this point anymore.

Last edited by miskas (2020-04-27 11:51:05)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#19 2020-04-27 14:11:35

DestinyCall

Jojigirl wrote:

Property fences are a part of the game, if someone chooses to use them, then they should not get cursed for it.. They paid for the game just the same and should be able to make fences if they choose to do so.

Yeah, that's not a valid argument.    Paying for server access does not mean you are free to follow all of your impulses. 
You do not have a "right" to build property fences in this game any more than you have a "right" to kill all the sheep if you feel like stabbing something.    Just because Jason added a scrap box that reduces an engine to a bunch of raw iron, that doesn't mean it is okay to scrap the village's only engine or that you don't deserve to be cursed for doing so.     Just because you CAN do something does not mean you SHOULD do something.  Or that doing that action is going to be socially acceptable to other villagers.   

Jason put property fences into the game, but he also put the curse system in the game (and killing) so we could self-police.   If enough people consider property-ownership counterproductive behavior, it is completely valid within the rules of the game to deter other players from constructing fences by whatever means are available.    Keep in mind that the only way to "revoke" gate ownership from a player who is abusing property fencing is to kill them.  But posse-killing is pretty hard to coordinate and generally not worth the effort unless the village is under direct threat.  Using curses to deter property ownership is a less-direct but much easier approach, since it teaches people to not build fences in the middle of town in future lives and it moves the fence-builders to other villages where they won't be a problem for you if they should persist in making private property.   

In my experience, property fence builders are either new players who do not understand why nobody builds property fences or griefers who want to use property fences for nefarious purposes.    In rare cases, they are more experienced players who plan on using property fences for selfish or anti-social reasons, like storing material for a personal project or keeping other people away from them while they work.    In most cases, the property fences are not directly benefiting the village and in many cases, they can be directly harmful, by locking away valuable resources and blocking free movement.   Even if the person who stored stuff inside the fence is planning on using it eventually, there is no guarantee that he will finish the task in a timely manner and, in the meantime, the gate is preventing other people from accessing the tools or resources he has sequestered for personal use.  In a small village with limited resources, time is a precious commodity and selfish behavior can be deadly.  Also, removing a property fence from a badly chosen location is really annoying, harder than slowing berry-patch creep.  And even when the original builder had good intentions, that does not mean that future owners will use the gate responsibly.   If  you wait to see what a person is planning to do with his property fence or how responsible he is, then it is too late to do much about it and the village will be stuck with a big ugly property-fenced area for hours.

I would equate property fence construction with dog breeding or airplane building.    These activities are almost NEVER done anymore, because the majority of experienced players understand that they are not beneficial and serve no valid purpose for the village.    Just like with property fencing, when you see someone working on dog-breeding, you can expect that they are either a new player who just realized that dogs were a part of OHOL and they are super excited to have a beagle puppy ... or they are a more experienced player who knows that dogs are broken and they are planning on breeding some pitbulls to cause trouble for the rest of the town.    Likewise, there are occasionally people who build cars or planes.   But in the current game state, doing so is almost never justified.   It's just a really convoluted way to lose an engine.

Now, just to clarify, I do not curse people for making property fences or owning property gates.  I agree that curses should be reserved for actual griefing, rather than directed at anyone who does something you don't like.   If I cursed everyone who played sub-optimally, I would never have any curses available for when I encountered a real threat.   Plus, I don't like to curse or kill people unless it is absolutely necessary.  It is a powerful action and should be reserved for people who really deserve to be punished for bad behavior.   

My preferred approach when I see something I don't like is to either ignore it or try to talk it out.   That can be challenging in OHOL due to text limits, but it isn't impossible and it is a better approach if you are hoping to change someone's mind.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-04-27 14:57:18)

#20 2020-04-27 15:33:36

testo

DestinyCall wrote:
Jojigirl wrote:

Yeah, that's not a valid argument.    Paying for server access does not mean you are free to follow all of your impulses. 
You do not have a "right" to build property fences in this game any more than you have a "right" to kill all the sheep if you feel like stabbing something.    Just because Jason added a scrap box that reduces an engine to a bunch of raw iron, that doesn't mean it is okay to scrap the village's only engine or that you don't deserve to be cursed for doing so.     Just because you CAN do something does not mean you SHOULD do something.  Or that doing that action is going to be socially acceptable to other villagers.   

Jason put property fences into the game, but he also put the curse system in the game (and killing) so we could self-police.   If enough people consider property-ownership counterproductive behavior, it is completely valid within the rules of the game to deter other players from constructing fences by whatever means are available.    Keep in mind that the only way to "revoke" gate ownership from a player who is abusing property fencing is to kill them.  But posse-killing is pretty hard to coordinate and generally not worth the effort unless the village is under direct threat.  Using curses to deter property ownership is a less-direct but much easier approach, since it teaches people to not build fences in the middle of town in future lives and it moves the fence-builders to other villages where they won't be a problem for you if they should persist in making private property.   

In my experience, property fence builders are either new players who do not understand why nobody builds property fences or griefers who want to use property fences for nefarious purposes.    In rare cases, they are more experienced players who plan on using property fences for selfish or anti-social reasons, like storing material for a personal project or keeping other people away from them while they work.    In most cases, the property fences are not directly benefiting the village and in many cases, they can be directly harmful, by locking away valuable resources and blocking free movement.   Even if the person who stored stuff inside the fence is planning on using it eventually, there is no guarantee that he will finish the task in a timely manner and, in the meantime, the gate is preventing other people from accessing the tools or resources he has sequestered for personal use.  In a small village with limited resources, time is a precious commodity and selfish behavior can be deadly.  Also, removing a property fence from a badly chosen location is really annoying, harder than slowing berry-patch creep.  And even when the original builder had good intentions, that does not mean that future owners will use the gate responsibly.   If  you wait to see what a person is planning to do with his property fence or how responsible he is, then it is too late to do much about it and the village will be stuck with a big ugly property-fenced area for hours.

I would equate property fence construction with dog breeding or airplane building.    These activities are almost NEVER done anymore, because the majority of experienced players understand that they are not beneficial and serve no valid purpose for the village.    Just like with property fencing, when you see someone working on dog-breeding, you can expect that they are either a new player who just realized that dogs were a part of OHOL and they are super excited to have a beagle puppy ... or they are a more experienced player who knows that dogs are broken and they are planning on breeding some pitbulls to cause trouble for the rest of the town.    Likewise, there are occasionally people who build cars or planes.   But in the current game state, doing so is almost never justified.   It's just a really convoluted way to lose an engine.

Now, just to clarify, I do not curse people for making property fences or owning property gates.  I agree that curses should be reserved for actual griefing, rather than directed at anyone who does something you don't like.   If I cursed everyone who played sub-optimally, I would never have any curses available for when I encountered a real threat.   Plus, I don't like to curse or kill people unless it is absolutely necessary.  It is a powerful action and should be reserved for people who really deserve to be punished for bad behavior.   

My preferred approach when I see something I don't like is to either ignore it or try to talk it out.   That can be challenging in OHOL due to text limits, but it isn't impossible and it is a better approach if you are hoping to change someone's mind.

So basically the herd has the power to stop anyone doing something they might consider fun, even if that is done with the authors resources and time and while he adds more to the "village" than others (I am talking about making airplanes or cars on  a property fenced area).

Saying that something in game is or not justified is a subjective sentence at best if not completely wrong. I hate that your brain got melded in the herd mentallity: this is good for the town, this is bad for the town? You are trying to argue that? Seriously? I am not gonna lecture you, an old time forum poster about how the herd actually wastes resources left and right. I am not going to lecture you either on how every dead town leaves a lot of resources never used and not justified to use in a personal project and lastly, I am not going to lecture you on the several ways every resource could be better used if people wasn´t lazy and followed some hirarchy structure.

I will, however, remind you that the whole economy system that allows us to play this game and to comunicate throught the internet is not really based on "what is justified" or not, but rather on individualism, property and selfishness.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#21 2020-04-27 15:58:40

Alterior

I have used them to make stew and tortilla gardens/workstations.

Gated fences don't work well as animal pens.

I have seen them used as; Berry/Carrot bowl stations. A way to stop neighbouring families stealing from the blacksmith. A simple engine well/mine protector. A small family property acting as a productive side effort in chaotic towns. A solid iron outpost border. Literal properties along a road, some rearing animals, some growing crops, some growing aesthetic gardens.

I imagine they'd make for an effective stable in a black town, would stop the horses going walkabout as they tend to do.

They work better as a noob tampering shield than an anti griefer device, to be honest. The clueless can sometimes do more damage than the malicious.
Setting one up as a kid if you know what you want to do with most of your life can be helpful.

Berry bushes are weeds, tear them up, set them on fire. Corn is the food of the gods.

#22 2020-04-27 16:07:41

Whatever

testo wrote:

... even if that is done with the authors resources and time and while he adds more to the "village" than others (I am talking about making airplanes or cars on  a property fenced area).

yes cars and airplanes, every village needs them, they are super useful and help everyone and its not like the oil that you need to get that iron is limited

testo wrote:

I will, however, remind you that the whole economy system that allows us to play this game and to comunicate throught the internet is not really based on "what is justified" or not, but rather on individualism, property and selfishness.

people dont play games to experience the flaws of the real world

Jojigirl wrote:

Curses are a part of the game, if someone chooses to use them, then they should not get property fenced for it.. They paid for the game just the same and should be able to curse if they choose to do so

#23 2020-04-27 16:13:49

pein

Sometimes i used to store m horse there, cause some 13 yer old nutjob steals it and i never gonna see it again.

In the rift i made fortresses, it was a self-sufficient base with pen, small berry farm, oven. Maybe enough for 6 people,  as you can guess, it was surviving so it had more people than that, always ended up with more bushes, cemetery, then the babies covered the forge, then the storage was built next to the kiln. It doesn't scale well with population, based on the experiments around 20x30 or 20x40 fence is required.

Fences as Eve: you waste too much time on them, while you don't make tools, food, even harder to get out for some wild food so you got a chance that you starve faster, and still opening/closing is a hassle, would say that 99% you don't need it, the remaining 1% is so surprising that you won't be able to react.

Funny thing that the only families who made fences and swords, could have won that battles with knives or they were so far from anyone that they didn't even need it. Also, new Eves push them out within 40 minutes with more baby girls.  I guess the only thing homelands are good for that other family won't have kids near your well.

Generally is way too slow to make them, and give a real purpose, or hard to convince people to change the ways. Easier to make a city by yourself alone, then change it while others ruin it.

My biggest issues are:
-fences take up too much space. Above you see 16 tiles of walls for 8 tiles of space. Best is that 18 for 15.
-people need water to produce things, you cant ration the water per families. somebody will always gets more or less and waterboi would be the most boring thing in history.
-you cant affect the gameplay off others properly, you cant restrict others to enter places or keep that up for hours long.
-you cant upgrade fences so they always are there and annoy you.
-you don't own things, you can make them, but others can take it, you can take it, you can hoard inside your fence so others have to make more and more tools, which doesn't really make sense with the nerfs we received.
-you don't have anything to do in a small place, you don't get much benefit out of it.
-the tiem it needs to store an unload items from a fence its more than their usefulness. before you would take a banana inside you would be hungry.
for 20 yum storage you would need like 7 tables or boxes or bit less slot boxes but that only feeds one player properly.

To make fences viable, you would t least need:
-ownership of items. shared, private and one with timer. Everything made from shared resources would become shared, privately bought or gathered items could have a timer to finish a step or they would become shared.
-a monetization system for items and content only accessible trough that currency.
-a stable value system to link currency to actual things in-game, like territory space.
-a limitation around wells how close private properties can go, like 10-15 radius. or a way to relocate them.
-security against door campers
-support for hiring people for work, renting and trading.

Static jobs are rare, most game revolves on collecting, theft is too easy compared to work, and overproducing is just as bad as not producing. People life and work have no value and every change makes that even worse.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#24 2020-04-27 16:41:46

Jojigirl

DestinyCall wrote:

Destiny you are nobody to tell me how to play this game that I paid for..

Like I said, that "Holier than thou" attitude a lot of the main players have is hilarious..

Property fences are a part of the game and I'll be damned if any random ass person tries to tell me that I can't use them.. Get off your unwarranted high horse..

Last edited by Jojigirl (2020-04-27 16:43:20)

#25 2020-04-27 18:17:39

DestinyCall

Jojigirl wrote:

Property fences are a part of the game and I'll be damned if any random ass person tries to tell me that I can't use them.. Get off your unwarranted high horse..

Funny you should mention being "damned", because that's probably what will happen if you take that kind of attitude attitude into the game ... LOL.

From where I'm sitting, you're the one who is expecting privileged treatment.   I paid for this game, same as you, Joji.   Don't act like that makes you somebody special.

Board footer