One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-26 14:14:40

The_Anabaptist

Survival / Early Generation Exclusive Foods

As a kid, I remember having a fascination with foods that my ancestors ate as homesteaders.  Some of these foods simply aren't made by us more civilized folk, unless we have a strong desire to recreate the past.  Others I only tried because my grandmothers still had a hankering for them from time to time.  As a kid I remember trying chicken's feet and thought that they were a bland and rubbery mess.  I remember once having the equivalent of "pig's brain in a dough pocket" because my grandma considered it a delicacy.  I found them to be a gritty mess and vowed to never have another again.  I wanted to try pickled watermelon, but never got a chance because nobody made them anymore.  I know my ancestors ate dandelions and made dandelion wine, but now we spray them as weeds.

There should be a category of wild or early generation recopies that can only be eaten or made by them.  This would hopefully ease the current suffering of spawning as an Eve and finding everything gone already, without having to reintroduce infinite spawning berry bushes.  The burdock is probably the closest thing we have to this right now.  Most advanced civs pick them to be fed to rabbits, but they are edible.  Would it be that hard to make them inedible directly past "x" generation?  Maybe start doing that with wild onions and wild carrots as well?  Maybe add a few other new wild varieties of plants too?

The_Anabaptist

#2 2020-04-26 15:16:02

DestinyCall

Re: Survival / Early Generation Exclusive Foods

I'd rather see a return to the time when Eves spawned into a fresh wilderness, far from previous attempts at civilization.   It would require loosening race restrictions so families could live further apart again.

#3 2020-04-26 15:47:32

Amon

hEY. Don't diss my dandelions, they're great springtime foods.
You can made quite a great salad with early dandelions and some potato mash, an egg, add some oil and vinegar. Salt it. Ta-da.
A rather amazing tasting salad.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#4 2020-04-26 16:32:18

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

I'd rather see a return to the time when Eves spawned into a fresh wilderness, far from previous attempts at civilization.   It would require loosening race restrictions so families could live further apart again.

You might try out different seeds in 2HOL and you can probably find such a scenario and have some children.  I didn't have children early when I started my recent town there, but other times when I've logged in, I've had a child or two within a few minutes.  It's a game better designed for parenting and civilization building anyways.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-04-26 16:32:51)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2020-04-26 18:50:27

Arcurus

dendalines are great. super tasty and healthy only nettle salat is better smile

#6 2020-04-27 06:18:54

Blue tinker

Having foods that are early game only would make them precious for later generations, a delicacy of some sort. It would be interesting to see how many generations may resist their yummy taste. Having one of those makes you a member of local aristocracy, people would build property fences to protect their now-unique food and Eves would have something that they could trade with other towns for necessary stuff.

Maybe dandelion salad could restore an absurd amount of pips so it would become profitable to hoard dandelions until food starts restoring less hunger? The possibilities make you think. I like everything that encourages interactions between players other than 'Hey, have you seen the axe?' 'Nope.' 'Okay thx bye.'

New to the forum but not the game. Property fence enthusiast.

Board footer