One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-04-25 04:00:09

DestinyCall

Re: Mass Cursed for Calling out a Griefer?

Legs wrote:

Curse DiscardedSlinky

Shouldn't you be cursing Crumpaloo for abusing the curse system?   They were the one who randomly cursed a productive villager, accused them of griefing and tried to get others to curse the same person for unsubstantiated claims of "theft".   

That sounds just like something a griefer might do to cover their own wrong-doing (like hoarding food made by other people behind a locked property fence).

And just to be clear, I do not think either party was acting in bad faith.   This was poor communication, through and through.

#27 2020-04-25 04:06:13

testo

Meh at this point there is a lot both parties are just not sharing and tbh I don´t really care.

I do hate 2 things:

1) The stupid idea that property fences with ownership gates are bad on itself, "property is theft" as the picture claims is just silly. Lack of property and control over goods is why the game fails to begin with, we could literally have towns alive for weeks resource wise if we used them in a smart way. But no fug it, we get to be lemmings moving constantly west because some idiot keeps making berry patches and watering them. And if you try to stop them or take down the berries you become a griefer. Same goes with carrots. Property fences are badly designed, but property is not bad. I hope some day it works.

2) This is more of a personal thing, but I hate the friend advocate role. In this case it is clear the the person involved is not Slinky in first instance, so she hardly has the full picture. I hate this. If you are going to get into an argument, grow some balls and get yourself in or let it go. Don´t send your bbf to make some drama while you stay quiet on the corner. Nothing against you Slinky, I just find distasteful the lack of commitment with the situation. Thats like preteen kind of drama.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#28 2020-04-25 04:20:28

DestinyCall

AmberA wrote:

What sounds like happened:

-Guy has cart of taco supplies and takes it to go get water. Set the cart down while he went to get the water.
-Girl sees cart, doesn't see that Guy is nearby and takes cart because it has the supplies she needs.
-Guy sees his supplies being used, never finds cart, assumes Girl is thief and acts appropriately.
-Guy builds fence to protect his supplies from thief and warns town against thief.
-Guy probably too forceful in trying to get town against Girl and is then punished himself.

I could be wrong, but I suspect the property fence was constructed prior to the theft, to deter others from interfering with Crumpaloo's taco-making plans.   I don't think it was a direct reaction to being robbed, but more a reflection of Crumpaloo's property-oriented perspective.   He wanted a place to put his stuff where it would be "safe" because he doesn't like having his stuff messed with by other villagers.  So he made a property-fenced workspace to gather supplies together for his taco preparations.

There is nothing inherently wrong with doing this, but it does tend to inspire some hate when you are stowing away resources that were produced by other people, especially when you don't seem to be making anything for the village out of the stuff you stow away.   And in a OHOL village, it can be very hard to ONLY use stuff that you gather or make by yourself.   Almost everything is produced based on the past work of others.

In this case, it sounds like Crumpaloo was storing corn in his property fence that Slinky produced for taco-making, so he basically "stole" that corn from Slinky's taco shop.  Or at least, removed it from Slinky's reach, so he had to make even more to offset the loss.    Worst of all, Crumpaloo wasted so much time trying to get Slinky's friend cursed, it sounds like he never even made any tacos himself before he was killed for hoarding that corn.   

It is a tragic story, but I don't think it is an example of the curse-system gone wrong, so much as an example of why we are better off when we talk to each other and pool our resources to avoid redundancy and unnecessary conflict.

#29 2020-04-25 08:23:16

Don Holm

Look how everyone is stressed out on this game rather than enjoying it, fighting like animals over resources

#30 2020-04-25 10:54:36

schmloo

Clearly people like Crumpaloo are a massive problem. Ever been cursed just for being a triplet? Absolutely wild, honestly. Landed myself back in dt just for being a triplet, and don’t even get me started on trying to save a village from a pair of twins. Curses really do need to go back to the point where people are more hesitant to use them, or at the least be somehow proportionate to the average amount of curses per-person in a village. Stop dishing out curses willy-nilly.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#31 2020-04-25 14:25:56

testo

schmloo wrote:

Clearly people like Crumpaloo are a massive problem. Ever been cursed just for being a triplet? Absolutely wild, honestly. Landed myself back in dt just for being a triplet, and don’t even get me started on trying to save a village from a pair of twins. Curses really do need to go back to the point where people are more hesitant to use them, or at the least be somehow proportionate to the average amount of curses per-person in a village. Stop dishing out curses willy-nilly.

I disagree. I like that everyone is entitled to curse others as a way of saying "I don´t like your playstyle, don´t play near me". For the first time we know that griefers are actually worried about being cursed. The only real problem I see is the small number of available villages.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#32 2020-04-25 14:37:43

DestinyCall

Yeah, when there are only a few places to spawn, you only need to be cursed by a handful of players to be locked out of all available homelands.    It makes each curse very powerful.

If we had more unique (and viable) villages, each person has more rebirth options and the player population is more spread out.    Each individual curse is weaker, so it is harder to end up in DonkeyTown for a long time, but the curse system will still work to separate you from the players that you curse or players who have cursed you.

Even better, if biome restrictions were removed, each homeland could be far apart and contact between villages would be rare and more interesting/dangerous.

#33 2020-04-25 14:38:40

Legs

Curse testo

Loco Motion

#34 2020-04-25 15:09:54

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

If we had more unique (and viable) villages, each person has more rebirth options and the player population is more spread out.

I agree.  It also follows from this the frequency of players starting as babies is too high, since more villages requires more Eves.  Really, the frequency of players starting as babies has been a longstanding problem of this game, since it's lead to or could lead to overburdened or (wisely) negligent mothers (from the perspective of the baby who starves), and players starving before age 3.

Also, it's rather boring, or at least becomes such since it's monotonous, to almost always start a game the same way.  If players could start as adults, or even as adolescent pre-teens sometimes, more often that would be more interesting than 95-99%+ of lives starting as a baby.  It's also a different story to start as a baby, than to start as a 14-year old woman, or it would be a different story than starting as an 8-yeard old boy.  And there's no reason whatsoever why players couldn't live to 60 years after their birth date.  Even if the code would be difficult to change so that players died 60 minutes after their start time at most, lives capped at 74 could work.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#35 2020-04-25 15:48:50

Karrots

Lol why is anyone taking sides in this? Excluding the people that were there, none of us know how it really went down.

#36 2020-04-25 15:54:18

schmloo

testo wrote:

I disagree. I like that everyone is entitled to curse others as a way of saying "I don´t like your playstyle, don´t play near me". For the first time we know that griefers are actually worried about being cursed. The only real problem I see is the small number of available villages.

There’s cursing someone to stop them from getting born near you because you don’t like the way they play...

...And there’s rallying an entire village to mass-curse and disable you from playing the game for a whole month or more, because you breathed in their direction funny. Like why should someone have that kind of power over someone else? They paid for the game, for what, some twat with a serious trigger from things not going their way to stop them from playing?

#37 2020-04-25 16:04:55

DestinyCall

Karrots wrote:

Lol why is anyone taking sides in this? Excluding the people that were there, none of us know how it really went down.

I don't know what happens in my house when I'm at work, but that doesn't stop me from judging my dog/cat when I come home to a wrecked living room.   I will never know exactly why he did that to the couch and I can't ask him for an explanation, but I can read the signs and get a pretty good idea of what must have happened while I was not there. 

It is likely that both parties in this debate are not sharing all the details, either because they don't consider them important, worry about how it might make themselves look or because they simply forgot or didn't notice them in the first place.    Personally, I don't get the impression that either person is intentionally lying about what they experienced.   Yet their stories paint a very different version of events.   

That is one of the really fascinating aspects of the human experience.   Two people can both witness the same event and yet NOT see the same thing happen.  Eye-witness accounts are notoriously unreliable because nobody really sees everything that happens around them or even understands everything that they see.   But that doesn't mean we can't gain a decent understanding of events by talking to witnesses and making logical inferences based on what is said (or not said) by each person.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-04-25 16:50:07)

#38 2020-04-25 16:22:43

testo

schmloo wrote:
testo wrote:

There’s cursing someone to stop them from getting born near you because you don’t like the way they play...

...And there’s rallying an entire village to mass-curse and disable you from playing the game for a whole month or more, because you breathed in their direction funny. Like why should someone have that kind of power over someone else? They paid for the game, for what, some twat with a serious trigger from things not going their way to stop them from playing?

You mean that the whole village cursed someone with zero evidence or facts? Even then, said person doesn´t have any power other than convincing others to curse someone else. The ones that hold the power are the ones that curse not the one that convinced them.

- Jack Ass

#39 2020-04-25 17:00:15

schmloo

testo wrote:

You mean that the whole village cursed someone with zero evidence or facts? Even then, said person doesn´t have any power other than convincing others to curse someone else. The ones that hold the power are the ones that curse not the one that convinced them.

I don’t know what to tell you, it might come as a shock to you based on what you’ve just said to learn that people just blatantly follow a cursing mob for conformity, pressure, or whatever reason... I’m sure the person rallying would have succeeded if people weren’t already aware that “property bad”, since they have been proven over and over to have a negative effect on towns. Any other scenario, people would just mass curse like sheep. The power comes from a loudmouth, because the masses can be stupid in all the confusion unfortunately.

#40 2020-04-25 18:10:04

testo

I understand your point schmloo. I even agree that many times the curse system is not being used to curse griefers or people acting against a town. However this curse system as bad as you may see it at least does stop people from going full retartds over everyone else.

- Jack Ass

#41 2020-04-26 16:20:08

arkajalka

Cursing being so freaking strong and people miss using it to mass curse you for ridiculous things, like doing something off meta makes me hate this game.

Cause of this current curse system i just hate this game and the inbred community it has  from time to time.

Instead of creating new things and new wayes of living you are forced to stuck on same repetitive cycle or get cursed.

NERF CURSES

Last edited by arkajalka (2020-04-26 16:21:06)

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#42 2020-04-26 17:31:43

DestinyCall

In my experience, people are fine with "creating new things and new ways of living" so long as you are respectful toward those around you and clearly communicate your intentions.

You only get in serious trouble with your neighbors when you try to do stuff that looks like griefing or something that directly interferes with other people's work and/or survival.  Most people are too busy doing their own thing to care what you are up to unless you get in their way or do something potentially dangerous.

If you want to attempt something that might look a little sketchy, like building a bearena, it is a good idea to talk to other people first.  Be open about your goals and what you hope to achieve.    Sometimes, they will oppose your plans right away, but more often than not, they will not care so long as your activities are not seen as a threat to the village.  And you might even get lucky and gain a few allies who are interested in achieving the same goal.   Together, you can achieve a lot more than you could by working alone.

The curse system is designed around the idea of each person having an opinion.   If you find yourself getting targeted by a lot of curses when you try to help the village, that's a warning sign that you need to work on your approach.   People are not seeing the merit of your actions.  You are bothering your neighbors.    You need to talk to other people more so they understand what you hope to achieve.   Otherwise, they might view your actions as destructive, instead of creative.

#43 2020-04-26 17:34:15

Legs

In other words: kiss ass or get cursed.

Loco Motion

#44 2020-04-26 17:46:46

DestinyCall

I'd call it "Make nice or get the boot", but yes that is what it means to live and work with other people.

#45 2020-04-26 18:00:00

antking:]#

what a surprise! you need to communicate in a multiplayer game!

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#46 2020-04-26 18:02:44

FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

the best approach is to visualize the town, who is being OCD, who is moving really fast while working, who is RP, etc.  those people you want to avoid.  They will curse you for any accidental click or not joining their stupid cult. 
Also, if you find yourself in an argument with someone and you're obviously losing...no matter if you are right or not, just leave.  if you stay that person will curse you and others will as well.
And if someone steals from your town, don't follow them, once you get to their town they will curse you.
Curses have a 200 tile radius.  you are good to go once you are out of range.  I mean you could leave, change your hat and outfit, most likely they won't recognize you.

That's how I have been dealing with people willing to curse for minor infractions.

And yeah, the point of a curse is to not have that person spawn near you, but a lot of people have nefarious reasons and actively seek to put just random people in DT.

I'm fish, deal with it or don't, idgaf

#47 2020-04-26 19:39:59

Legs

Yeah, I just had a couple people arguing in the kitchen while I was cooking throwing around "curse you" and "I curse you" as I'm running past. A handful of bystanders are right next to them watching. I don't even know what they were arguing about, the town was doing fine and nobody was griefing. We had six full cisterns, traders running supplies and all kinds of yummy food. It's crazy how people go nuclear over nothing.

Loco Motion

#48 2020-04-27 00:13:17

schmloo

testo wrote:

I understand your point schmloo. I even agree that many times the curse system is not being used to curse griefers or people acting against a town. However this curse system as bad as you may see it at least does stop people from going full retartds over everyone else.

It stops those people, you’re right, and that’s the relieving positive side of it. Unfortunately, the negative side which has a greater impact is that it sacrifices people who don’t deserve to be in dt; those are possibly people who have a positive impact on the town, and were sent there over a misunderstanding with a (or several) touchy person(s). Not the best trade off, in all honesty. Since I haven’t played for a bit until more recently, I have no clue what the finer details of the system are, but something, somewhere is very wrong, and too strict.

#49 2020-04-27 03:13:02

testo

schmloo wrote:
testo wrote:

It stops those people, you’re right, and that’s the relieving positive side of it. Unfortunately, the negative side which has a greater impact is that it sacrifices people who don’t deserve to be in dt; those are possibly people who have a positive impact on the town, and were sent there over a misunderstanding with a (or several) touchy person(s). Not the best trade off, in all honesty. Since I haven’t played for a bit until more recently, I have no clue what the finer details of the system are, but something, somewhere is very wrong, and too strict.

I understand when you say that but I just got bored of trolls and griefers in general, let alone people just taking your stuff and being rude in general. If you played on the old cursing system you should know it was useless. Literally useless, griefers just caused destruction by killing and once you finally got rid of them (after losing 3/4 of the village in the process) they all said always the same: it´s ok lol, i´ll be back in five minutes. Not really the kind of game I want to play.

- Jack Ass

#50 2020-04-27 04:23:50

schmloo

testo wrote:

I understand when you say that but I just got bored of trolls and griefers in general, let alone people just taking your stuff and being rude in general. If you played on the old cursing system you should know it was useless. Literally useless, griefers just caused destruction by killing and once you finally got rid of them (after losing 3/4 of the village in the process) they all said always the same: it´s ok lol, i´ll be back in five minutes. Not really the kind of game I want to play.

Well I mean, now they’re all having a grand time causing apocalypses 20k away, so it’s still pretty useless. It’s just temporary personal relief, and dooming the server. That’s another problem entirely though.

Board footer