One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-20 00:12:02

Glassius

yum 2.0

Previous mechanic was unintuitive and chain broked too easily. Currently, making yum chain unbreakable we are not punishing people for monodiet and are giving them too must boost. The solution would be to increase the amount of food pips depending on variety of eaten food, giving a buffer before monodiet punishment, and make punishment iterational instead of total reduction. Proposition:

1. Use FIFO containter (like std::deque) with len of 50. Each time you consume food, add it at the beginning and remove the last element.
2. Make a year constraint: max is 4 + x, x=each 30 seconds of life. Make cap = 40, which happens after 18 minutes.
3. Final pip number available is max(4, min(unique food number in FIFO container, year constraint)).
4. Decreasing of pips due to aging should not leave 60-years old with only 4 pips. They should also benefit from yum. Maybe cap the last year constraint at 8?

This way you will have a clear indication (GUI pips) how well nourished you are. Being on a monodiet will eventually leave you with only 4 pips. Consider it as scurvy, beriberi or any similar condition. That of course requires GUI change to hold up to 40 pips.

But, it has an advantage. If you have filled FIFO container with unique foods, eating the same thing twice will not affect your yum, because your year constraint is lower than number of unique foods in container, now 49. It is the safe buffer before yum chain starts to decrease due to monodiet. When 20 years old, the buffer is 10. When 2 years old, the buffer is crazy 46! So, it is easier to break it as an adult, than as a child.

It is making game harder: you have to eat different things to gain food pips, as aging is not enough. Default 20 from vanilla requires 16 different foods! Which should not be that hard: berry, berry bowl, carrot, cooked mutton, cooked rabbit, bread, mutton pie, berry pie, carrot pie, rabbit pie, stew, bowl of cooked beans, popcorn, egg, cooked goose, bean tortilla is already 16.

It has advantage, as people with high yum will not have to wait to almost starve to fully utilize yum bonus (cooked mutton will still fill only 10, not 10+26 as with current 26 yum someone gained lately). Also, young will start to eat sooner different things. Currently, you have to be 7 and eat mutton pie at 1 pip left to not waste it. With yum 2.0 it would be already before 4 years old (3 min 30 sec).

Last edited by Glassius (2020-04-20 00:16:16)

#2 2020-04-20 01:27:07

DestinyCall

Re: yum 2.0

I like the unbreakable yum.    It is user-friendly and easy to teach to new players.   It provides a nice passive bonus for non-yummers and rewards dedicated yummers for maximizing their yum chain.

Why make it more complicated?

#3 2020-04-20 01:56:24

Glassius

For punishment. With 20 available pips for adults it is just a nice bonus, just like you said. If the min was 4 (5 in fact), it would be a necessity. Flaws of current unbreakable yum:
1. Hidden bonus. Game engine must be described to understand it. yum 2.0 requires GUI feedback, so it is more intuitive.
2. As you said, it is a nice bonus. Which makes it not enough to end era of berry munchers.  yum 2.0 would punish berry munching heavily, but not only. Even the best milk drinkers would suffer from it.
3. For maximal gain from high yum you must eat at the edge of starvation. Not a case for yum 2.0
4. Describing the game engine is not immersive. yum 2.0 allows for sentence "the more food variety you eat, the stronger you will be!". Much more touchy and parenting friendly.
5. A new exploit proposition: eat a berry once, from berry bowl once, eat a popcorn, a stew and a mutton pie to receive a pernament + 5 to every next berry in your life. Berry munching will be even easier than before food nerf wink

Last edited by Glassius (2020-04-20 02:12:47)

#4 2020-04-20 02:14:56

DestinyCall

I don't see any reason to punish mono-diet when it is already worse than yum-chaining.

#5 2020-04-20 03:03:58

pein

I haven tested the new system but looked good on paper

I don't want to spend a life eating
I just want a bit of variety

shouldn't punish you for eating twice the same thing, lot of people do that and they are quite healthy

it's more like a mental effect, your body can do surprising things if all elements needed are present but it's doesn't really affect physical power
you would need to go to extremes to have any effects on aging process, and  to be fair that doesn't really worth it

gameplay-wise I think it makes sense that you put in some effort to produce different foods and distribute it, eat it and enjoy the benefits for a long time, and if it's capped then doesn't matter what just eat varied food as you can, it will save some resources long term so it's all good.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2020-04-20 03:27:41

Grim_Arbiter

Oh jeeze i forgot the yum is unbreakable now.

I played a life for the first time since these food updates today, and basically found out quick from the food values that yumming is now the key to living in balance with the world now... well actually it always has been since introduced, but we were on easy mode with food for awhile.

While I wish I had known it's unbreakable, I still was able to live a life where I ate one yum food after another and was able to achieve quite a bit and still produced more than I consumed..

However these are veteran player moves, and I would NOT expect any new players to get it right away, even if forced..

I watched a stream the other night of this game from the streamer who actually got me into this game (tomato gaming) and around 2 or so years ago he was pretty good at the game in terms of what it was. He played it again as basically a new player and was completely overwhelmed by the food aspect. He was from the time of berry munching, and decimated the towns berry fields he was in all lives.

The point is that a lot of "new players" might have played before and be of the idea that a one food based diet isn't the town killer it is now.

I think yum needs to be taught to newer or not knowing players by us, and maybe explained a litter better in the tutorial by Jason.

Last edited by Grim_Arbiter (2020-04-20 03:52:53)

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#7 2020-04-20 04:02:38

Alterior

Glassius wrote:

Currently, making yum chain unbreakable we are not punishing people for monodiet and are giving them too must boost.

Tell them where there are better foods available.
If that doesn't work, grab a knife or a bow and punish them with that for wasting food tbh.

I disagree on the too much boost part. Monodiets are a chore now.

Berry bushes are weeds, tear them up, set them on fire. Corn is the food of the gods.

#8 2020-04-20 06:32:56

Blue tinker

Most berry munchers are new players who simply don't know many other types of food. When they get introduced to pies or all the types of meat, they eat those as they are more efficient. This of course leads to them wanting to learn how to cook .
Other berry munchers are mostly lazy people including griefers. At least that's how it used to be as berry bushes have been nerfed and eating all the berries and removing bushes is not efficient method of griefing anymore.

New to the forum but not the game. Property fence enthusiast.

#9 2020-04-20 07:04:23

DestinyCall

Education is the best method at this point.    With the recent food rebalancing, mono-diet is no longer optimal and yum is much more robust.    Since you do not need to micromanage your chain, it is much easier to teach new players to eat a varied diet for best benefit.   Rather than punishing people who eat the same thing, make more types of food so everyone has more options. 

It is no longer a question of yummers and non-yummers.    Our chains do not break.   We are ALL yummers now.

Board footer