One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-09 07:52:05

Coconut Fruit

New towns getting kerosene and engines before even making newcomen

New towns getting kerosene and engines before even making newcomen tools. Other families just deliver those to new towns.
And I don't like it at all, it's boring.

It's just another bad thing caused by biome restrictions and expert waystones.

I would want every family making everything from scratch on their own. I would want families weren't that peaceful to each other. Rift wasn't perfect but I really liked that families were making walls around towns to protect themselves and their stuff from untrusted families. War/Peace was also very interesting to me... Yeah, in rift wars were bad, because they were causing apocalypses, but in infinite world they could be very fun.

I don't really care about getting new content, if game mechanics are making this game boring...

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#2 2020-04-09 08:24:11

miskas

Re: New towns getting kerosene and engines before even making newcomen

A Non-Forced way to introduce conflict

Last edited by miskas (2020-04-09 08:53:44)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#3 2020-04-09 09:39:18

sigmen4020

Problem with just making a Diesel well immediately after the deep well is that you miss out on a bunch of kerosene-free water from the Newcomen, which there is absolutely no reason to. People who upgrade to Diesel before having Newcomen are lowering the towns life span. I mean the Diesel well isn't even an upgrade anymore, since it gives the exact same amount of water as the regular Newcomen.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#4 2020-04-09 09:44:30

Elsayal

Coconut Fruit wrote:

New towns getting kerosene and engines before even making newcomen tools. Other families just deliver those to new towns.

How many times did you saw that happen ?

When a town have achieved almost everything they can do, they may make spare engines. It makes sense since they still rely on other town to get rubber for instance.

I guess they wanted to keep in good shapes others families.

This is happening because towns are close to each other. When you see camera and a radio in a town (pretty cool to communicate when both strangers stand by it by the way), I wonder what else they can achieve.

Well I guess the only other way, beside a pack of 6 Bear (not a 6 beers pack, although It will be quite handy in this time of quarantine, but I'm slightly moving away from the original subject, so nevermind) is indeed a war.

Make a dozen swords, I'm sure a war will eventually happen.

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#5 2020-04-09 12:33:58

Coconut Fruit

Elsayal wrote:
Coconut Fruit wrote:

How many times did you saw that happen ?

A few times. I think it's pretty often in new towns to see things that shouldn't be there yet... At begin I was doing the same thing, once I turned 3yo I was going to look for an expert waystone and going to a big town.  And then completely dressed in colorful clothes going back on a horse with tires with many useful things(backpacks with stuff, buckets, stacks of bowls/plates) to my town where everyone is half naked yet...

Today I played in a town that had almost no iron and there was no newcomen tower built next to kilns, this town probably just finished newcomen pump before I was born, because it was full of water yet. When I was about 40yo I saw someone on a horse brought us diesel engine and a few tanks of kerosene.
After that life I made this topic.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#6 2020-04-09 17:05:42

testo

A few things that I´d like to point at:

- In the rift Eves had no untouched land in like 6 hours. Probably less. Given the lack of wells and new updates a rift would probably limit the playable city places to 6 o 8 tops.

- In the rift there was hardly any mistrust to other families, what everyone had to deal with was feral eves and griefers (from your family and outsiders). Some familly raids took place but those were the less compared to lone attackers.

- Wars in this game won´t ever be fun because of autotarget and posse. Jason killed the only "skillful" approach to a battle dynamic and it is his word that the game is not supposed to have a battle system. Wars are simply not part of the equation.

- Expert waystones are needed because wandering around 1k on foot in the wrong direction is boring. Even wandering around a 400 square to the corners of your closest natural springs on foot to check if there are dry springs is a waste of time and only one race has access to horses. Even with horses is boring if you just take a direction randomly hoping to find someone. Even if you find someone you have to hope it is the race you are looking for. And even then, you have to hope, that maybe, you will find someone willing to help you. Thank god for expert waystones.

- People don´t start from scratch because it is useless to keep moving west when there are so many resources left in the dead cities. Cities dont die because of lack of water, iron, oil or food. Cities die because people get bored and there is not enough content to make it interesting to stay in a city. Lola town died with no less than 3 full cisterns and enough iron for at least another engine (I took the one in the well), there is still a horse there. It was a brown town. With not even a tattoo shop. That is one of the several cities I can name. I´ve yet to see a city to die because of lack of water, I believe no city has ever used a secondary pump at this point. (In this map cycle).

- There is a decent amount of people that don´t want to play on Eve camps. You can experience that mostly with white camps, but it happens to every race to some extent. Either because people want to be somewhere else or they dont know how to help in a new settlement it is a fact that people /die more to eve camps when there are advanced cities around. And some players don´t even /die because some other players have started to curse persistant SID babies because SIDing to a town doesn´t block you from going there again and again, even to the same mom. So some players just play 5 minutes, go to the wilds at more than 200 tiles and die.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#7 2020-04-09 19:29:11

Morti

testo wrote:

- There is a decent amount of people that don´t want to play on Eve camps.

Moods of players do shift from wanting to be in developed, or non-developed areas. To play out various stages of development. Trying to cater or not cater to that, causes problems either way. As does giving players the options to choose the stage they play at, or not. It wouldn't be too hard to cater to more scenarios, if there were more people and playing on different servers was a more attractive option, but, for now, if you want to be with people, you take the state they are in, not necessarily the stage you want to play at the moment.

I'm not a fan of removing the early stages from those lists of options, but others are fans of rushing stages. What can we do, if we both want to exist with others?

#8 2020-04-09 21:37:06

testo

Morti wrote:
testo wrote:

- There is a decent amount of people that don´t want to play on Eve camps.

Moods of players do shift from wanting to be in developed, or non-developed areas. To play out various stages of development. Trying to cater or not cater to that, causes problems either way. As does giving players the options to choose the stage they play at, or not. It wouldn't be too hard to cater to more scenarios, if there were more people and playing on different servers was a more attractive option, but, for now, if you want to be with people, you take the state they are in, not necessarily the stage you want to play at the moment.

I'm not a fan of removing the early stages from those lists of options, but others are fans of rushing stages. What can we do, if we both want to exist with others?

I agree with you and I have no solution. I am just stating what I see.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#9 2020-04-10 00:11:49

Coconut Fruit

testo wrote:

A few things that I´d like to point at:

- In the rift Eves had no untouched land in like 6 hours. Probably less. Given the lack of wells and new updates a rift would probably limit the playable city places to 6 o 8 tops.

- In the rift there was hardly any mistrust to other families, what everyone had to deal with was feral eves and griefers (from your family and outsiders). Some familly raids took place but those were the less compared to lone attackers.

- Wars in this game won´t ever be fun because of autotarget and posse. Jason killed the only "skillful" approach to a battle dynamic and it is his word that the game is not supposed to have a battle system. Wars are simply not part of the equation.

- Expert waystones are needed because wandering around 1k on foot in the wrong direction is boring. Even wandering around a 400 square to the corners of your closest natural springs on foot to check if there are dry springs is a waste of time and only one race has access to horses. Even with horses is boring if you just take a direction randomly hoping to find someone. Even if you find someone you have to hope it is the race you are looking for. And even then, you have to hope, that maybe, you will find someone willing to help you. Thank god for expert waystones.

- I mean, I liked only some parts that were in the rift but they aren't here anymore

- If we had old killing system with no posse, no countdown and no autotarged, wars could be really fun.

- Yes, expert waystones are needed because we have biome specializations, if we had no biome specializations, expert waystones could be reworked to show random families, so we could still find other families, which is good.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#10 2020-04-10 14:25:59

pein

well first we had a few spots in rift but logistical issues were a problem
it was just too small and the biomes big, so sometimes half of it was unviable.

then we had the well update, forcefully have only  3-4 wells, that was damn stupid

the map was changed so the green was middle then swamp and rings around it, there were 20ish viable spots
some of them were quite bad but still viable
one time I made a camp and planted  trees and that fixed that small biome

still it was easier to take a corner causes people came back there so there were 4 main areas, even the centre of the sidewalls wasn't so good, only that the corners were ruined eventually

the problem I see is that we don't have enough upgrades
maybe for newbies, but how many times you got to upgrade a well or a mine? it's all done most of the times
I would prefer a small income of resources and multiple upgrades

now that people steal the engine, and you can't claim a homeland, the only thing old cities are good for is the resources, so people strip them clean
anything that goes into a cart, is taken, the only metal left is like springy doors which need tools to remove, or unforged steel, maybe some broken tools

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2020-04-10 15:34:57

Legs

Hypothetically, keep in mind that I'm just asking for a friend here, not as a serious question.

Couldn't a young woman take a diesel engine, some kerosene and a few tools on a horse cart to start a completely new town? There's a transition for dry shallow well -> diesel pump.

A ginger girl with a stolen engine could (as a strict hypothetical) upgrade a fake-eve camp to diesel power within a handful of generations right?

Loco Motion

#12 2020-04-10 16:14:12

pein

you need to be fast to stay fertile

I went back to my outpost from 2000 distance, I got a horse, made a cart without tool slots as I found one wheel
got an upgraded one traded for a normal and an engine and then went back there, got one kerosene from white/ginger town

the thing about the outpost was that it had 2 veins on 2 sides so was a superb location even without anything but a small well

you actually  need kerosene to become fertile xD

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#13 2020-04-10 17:31:30

DestinyCall

pein wrote:

you actually need kerosene to become fertile xD

Science!

#14 2020-04-11 03:24:36

Morti

In regards to recent, say, last few months worth, of mechanical changes.
I think most of them are bad, but, most of them we can adapt to and live with, with further changes.
If we are to keep, that people cannot recreate, or, procreate, outside of the 100 meter radius of a family well, then perhaps people should be able to share wells, with other families. So that those other families can give birth there. For instance, it could be a mechanic like the elder fence removal mechanic. An elder of the Smith town, puts a message on the well, saying that they want to be able to share the well with the Miller family.The note has to remain in place, and unremoved or, unchallenged, for so many minutes, and when the motion is adjourned, the two families are now in charge of the well and their females can produce kids near them. The declaration of peace, could also be used to allow two families to use the same well.
And ideally, all families would be at peace, and all players, all families, would be able to reproduce, near any of them.

As far as I know, one family can only have the iron mines near the original family well. So, while a mother could go off, place 10 stones around a spring 200 or more meters away, and claim that spring and the area around it, for their family, the incentive to do that does not exist because they will not receive access to the iron mines near that new spring or well. Yet another, dumb, meaningless restriction. The reason for not allowing families to have multiple iron sources from multiple locations was, what? That people who chose to do too much work for that family, would be limited, by the amount of iron they were allowed to get from the map?

Didn't even test out the iron & well change with any new wells getting any new iron.

My hands are too cold, I can't type much more.

Let's just say, any change that is made, should have some way to unmake it, if the players are willing to go some extra steps
Because, I assure you, people will take the steps necessary, most of the time, to return to the state they were in, before any sort of racial or reproductive change. Until/unless those steps are considered not worth the effort of undoing changes, to return to previous states.
I said a similar thing when you made the temperature change, but in that case, I said make changes gradually, not suddenly.
Obviously you didn't take that message, at all, into consideration with, any, of these changes.
You make a few people happy with these changes, but just upset and turn off, many more.
Some people will say "Ooh, a new change, I'll come back and play the game for that." but they hardly bother.
People want no murder, people want to murder freely, people want curses, people want no curses...
what a mess.

This is was really made Ultima Online a shit show too, when they started catering to people who complained and made big sweeping changes. Like Felluca and Trammel!? Wtf was that? UO was UO, they should have never made two versions of every server. One for the original UO and one where players could attack other people. It should have been one or the other from the start, and never changed to accommodate ANY % of the audience that requested accommodation. That is always a surefire path to a shitty game. The ideal game designer is like the ideal figurehead, the ideal leader. We come to you for your game, your idea. You are supposed to have a plan and stick to it, and then we play along. The rules are stated from the start and don't change, they can't change, you are supposed to already know the future. When you don't know, we lose loyalty, we lose trust, we lose faith. Never waffle, future game designers. Never waffle before your audience. Small little nerfs and buffs, sure, big sweeping mechanics changes, never a good idea. Make a different game at that point. Don't ruin your reputation with the die hard fans you do make from the start. They are the keepers of history. Your game will live in their memory, until they die. Leave it a good memory, not a mess.

#15 2020-04-11 03:34:12

Morti

Morti wrote:

Like Felluca and Trammel!? Wtf was that? UO was UO, they should have never made two versions of every server. One for the original UO and one where players could attack other people. It should have been one or the other from the start

Originally it was PVP, and it sucked, but, they should have never made it no PVP. They should have left the game, one world, with PVP, and let people adapt to that.
We knew the rules, we took the chances, we killed and were killed, and we adapted. A game emerged from the rules. Then that game was taken away. It should have always been PVP and UO's fanbase would have stood by the game and the designers, forever. 5 year old gamers, will grow up.

#16 2020-04-11 08:07:58

Silanar

two or 3 days ago i was in early stage black town. but by just scouting i found a died out town 300 meter away so i asked some people to help me to get all the stuff to our town. in one lifespan we had horses, ton of tools , buckets, cloth, firewood of doom but still no kerosine or engine. the dead town had neewcommon well. it was just lucky. i understand that u want biuld all from scratch. but if u have the chance to get some help, why u wont use it? i play sometimes on an empty server so i have the experience biulding all from scratch on your own. there will come a die when servers whipe complete again and all must start from scratch.

Board footer