One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-06 14:36:05

Coconut Fruit

My thoughts

I'm unhappy with no solo update and with killing countdown. I really liked that you could just stab anyone, whenever you want. We had healers, people cared about making red cross aprons and many sterile pads. It was bringing many fun interactions, I really enjoyed it, even if I was almost never killing people. I also liked to be a healer ffs :P
Someone took your cart? Someone insulted you? All you can do now is curse that person, often these little things aren't worth cursing, so you just do nothing with it, but if you could kill, you would do this without a doubt - and this was great.

I think it would be fun if every race could craft something that other races can't do. Something useful but not necessary to live - like glass bottles for example - this would actually encourage trading unlike things that are necessary to live - people don't trade things that are necessary to live, they share and help getting them for free.

If we had no biome restrictions, expert waystones could be reworked - they would be lying randomly in the world, in every biome (maybe except grasslands?). Every expert waystone would be pointing one random family for let's say 3 hours, and after that time it would be pointing another random family (every expert waystone pointing another random fam) - this way expert waystones would never expire if fams died out - after 3 hours they would just be pointing another random family. Get rid of damn biome restrictions... they do much more harm to the game than they actually do good things.

Some people when play as a ginger spend their lives on making oil just to feed with it other families - in the end we have the same amount of kerosene as if we would have if every fam could make it.
I think it would be more interesting if every fam could make it for themselves, because families most likely would start protecting their oil from other families - this world is too peaceful right now.

It's not fun that we have only 4 families.. Why not 8 with an Eve spawning from time to time like it used to be? Why not making walls around towns, make peaces with some families and wars with other, it could be fun - stealing from other families wouldn't be griefing anymore if every fam could make things necessary to live on their own - it would be their fault if they let steal stuff, if they don't protect it with walls or something.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#2 2020-04-08 23:03:48

Coconut Fruit

Re: My thoughts

What do you think about this, people? Do you like no solo and countdown to kill thing?
Don't you want sometimes to kill people who make you mad, but instead you cursing them because you can't kill them?

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#3 2020-04-09 00:09:32

sigmen4020

I'm mostly indifferent when it comes no solo, but am still slightly in favor of it, because of just how much it has decreased killings. That being said I certainly wouldn't protest loudly against solo killing coming back, but I'm not especially craving its return either.

But when it comes to the killer countdown I'm more in favor of it staying. I want it to stay solely for the reason that auto aim and instant kill is fundamentally broken. If the killer countdown was to vanish then the combat needs an overhaul. Instant kill with auto aim is just in no way fair, since there's absolutely nothing the target can do about it. At least now the victim has time to run away from the aggressor.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#4 2020-04-09 00:42:17

DestinyCall

If you want to kill people solo, can't you just lure them outside of town?    I thought the posse system was population-based. 

Two people meeting in the wilds don't need a posse to kill each other, theoretically.

#5 2020-04-09 00:51:39

fug

Imagine trying to stab someone in the wilds with slowdown and a 15 second wait.

Even if there was a valid reason for it, it would be impossible.

In relation to every other restriction it is implied that new people would make up for the lack of veterans doing X and that's just not the case. I'd rather see a world where veterans have the option to teach people and do something than the "Sorry we're not the correct color to do Y."

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#6 2020-04-09 01:07:12

Karrots

I love no solo. I've never had an issue getting others help when it was necessary, and those who wanted to needlessly murder never could. I'd say it's my favorite out of the more recent updates.

#7 2020-04-09 01:17:14

pein

I would like an agreement option and skill-based combat where dodging and aiming are equal or some sort of minigame
not sure what would fit the best since we don't have skills and we got age differences so that would be one sided

so it could be some sort of luck and prediction game
some sort of turn-based guess the next tile he moves and dodge their shot,

or like a rock paper scissors game where you choose your stance

tD7XGzJ.png
This browser game had 5 options to aim, lower chance to hit head or shoulders but higher damage. Dodging was squat which defends your head and shoulders but leaves your hands open. Left defends your head and left side, right defends your head and right side. And was a 4th no dodge which defends nothing but your aim will be better. Ofc It was bound to skill points so you could mix your resistances to mêlée or ranged or the mêlée or ranged damage, or dodge or tactics and appearance which were basically effective on first turns but decay on last turns.
You had 4 rounds then repeat all 4 and the game compared your choices, a random on aim and dodge a random on damage vs resistance and then the result was 0-8 hits both sides, the winner had more damage, if you had more damage than your hp then you died so it's a loss.
The skills were 20 different things, aim and dodge did not count for work, but the rest of them slightly. So a  builder was tough and vigorous and had a lot of hp and a trapper could aim and shot  (attributes gave 5 skills in a category per level, then you choose 3 individually).
So it was generally a skill game but good dodging or aiming was still a prediction.

maybe like in Harry potter that you reflect attacks and speeds up each time, you can still dodge it, but it's stronger to parry them back so you might take a risk to parry and not land multiple weak attacks
sure it's not realistic but it's kinda balanced and fun. it was like a 3d pong game.

some forceful way to make them agree, some sort of debuff for refusing
the delay should be an option, like 3 minutes to grab food and ask a medic to help but then people would curse you easier if they go around and lie shit
maybe a list of options why you fight them like
-dirty speech
-wasting resources
-personal rivalry
-other (specify)
people would see it

the debuff for refusing could be a slowing debuff 30% until you accept the challenge or someone else challenges them
the debuff for losing a fight would be that you could be disarmed any time by that person and a permanent slow of like 10%, no access to horse, no access to weapons, maybe the winner could choose one of your tool slots and deny it (you can't use an axe anymore)

Most of the fights are one-sided or liars start it, or there is no clear right and wrong they both pathetic, or the person griefing and annoying others doesn't even think about why is annoying and wasteful the action he does.
So this way you could technically block some actions by others for that life. It should have a skill cap so veterans can get what the want from newbies who don't want to listen. Kinda hard to make a system like this cause nothing tracks you if you do important or valuable crafting or you just mess around with items or you grief by overdoing stuff so people would just use it all the time.
Even ranks and meme score is quite bad on determining the better players.  I mean I don't want 100% advantage to veterans but some wouldn't hurt.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2020-04-09 18:56:48

Morti

pein wrote:

or like a rock paper scissors game where you choose your stance

Did you happen to play The Matrix Online when it was a popular MMO?
It's combat system was very "Rock Paper Scissors" but none-the-less, pretty fun to engage in combat. Even though a lot of people rated the game poorly because of it. Still fun, that along with the existence of that world, and being able to explore by jumping and flying. Had to know pretty deep into that tree, to fly, but, players that registered the game early, or bought it early, even got the ability to jump a little higher and farther, than people that joined later. I don't recall the exact number, but it was something like 120 meters, instead of just 100 meters. Either way, exploring a metropolitan city, by jumping around it so much at a time, was pretty enjoyable back that long ago. And, like I said, the combat system was pretty RPS, with ways from martial arts to hacking (which was basically spellcasting) to engage other players. Then we did missions to get reputation with the machines, Merovingians or, what was it, Children of Xion?, whichever faction we'd sided with from the start. I enjoyed being with the Merovingians as gathering places for that faction, were the night clubs of The Matrix, and the sounds, the lights, and the bad-ish dancing emotes, all made for a strange time waiting for some people, to play as characters from the stories, with boss-like powers, until either they would lead us to some opposing faction's gathering, or they would come to ours, and a mass combat scene, would unfold between 20 to 200, maybe more, people at once. Trying to take out other players, but ultimately, to take out those characters from the movie, and the game's storyline, past the movies.

Check out people talking about it sometime, if you didn't get the chance, or just take my word for it, for such a time in MMO history, a lot of fun lessons were learned by the industry, from those experiences.

It'd be nice if there was an organization that made it their philosophy to maintain copies of games and preserve those experiences, for people, for all time.
Something like GOG for MMOs, multiplayer games, and just, the history of human games in general. Experiences these games, as they were for their time, they shaped history, and the perception of the world, for a lot of people. It'd be like the public library, for the games of history, available around the world. Someday people on Mars, will access Earth's video game cloud, to get copies of Moon Patrol, Surviving Mars, or play some form of Eve Online.

Like old pictures...

#9 2020-04-10 00:24:49

pein

i wasnt playing many online games, I wass more engaged in football games and some moba
played browser games early on
generally single player strategies or management

multi games have to be good in order to stay alive and have to have players, income

there were some fun games back before too

Surviving Mars is like a combination of Planetbase and Sol 0, the first was graphically nice, but sadly they didn't make good balancing to dome sizes and I thought I liked it, but then none of the micromanagement mattered, people always died at the same number of sustainability
Sol 0 had bad graphics or more like mediocre, the farming was fun, I got surviving mars for free and I really like some features, playing the other two made it very familiar to start, they made a nice game, kinda still playing it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer