One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-04 15:20:03

Twisted

Is curse blocking too powerful with the homeland, iron, Eve changes?

Cursing a player currently makes them unable to spawn in a 100 tile radius around you. This radius incrases by 100 for each additional living player that has you cursed. It is also increased by T^2, where T is the total number of curses against you, both online and offline.

Babies can only spawn inside homelands, which are defined as a 100 tile radius around the families's well site. Due to the iron changes there is usually only one homeland per family, so four homelands in total on average at any given time. Eves also spawn 50 tiles away from the previous Eve, so any families that do survive are bound to live very close to one another.

If you get cursed by 3 people and all of those people are online, you cannot spawn in a 309 tile radius around any of them. If they are all in different families that means it is actually reasonable likely that the fourth town will be covered as well, preventing you from spawning there.

If someone is a serious troublemaker people will remember their curse code, and they will know to keep an eye out on them if they see them in a future life.

My proposition: leave the T^2 as is, and make the initial curse block 30 tiles, increasing by an additional 30 for every online curse. If 3 people curse you and they are all online you cannot spawn within 99 tiles of them, which makes it unlikely you will spawn in their towns and bother them (and even if you do they will see your curse code and keep an eye out on you), but still gives you the chance to play with the other family and redeem yourself. If someone is a big troublemaker and manages to get to, let's say, 20 curses, they will be blocked from spawning from most locations on the map even if there's only one person online, so there's still safety from serial griefers.

#2 2020-04-04 15:34:44

DestinyCall

Re: Is curse blocking too powerful with the homeland, iron, Eve changes?

I'd rather not mess around with the curse system when it seems to be working in its current form.   Finding a perfect balance is hard, with the game constantly in flux.   I'd rather have a strong curse system that acts as a passive detterant, rather than curses be too wimpy and useless.

#3 2020-04-04 16:18:36

Jojigirl

Kilian wrote:

I agree, that sound good. The prolonged stay in DT is no fun...
Maybe make it so that donkeys do not count towards the amount of players online who have cursed one.

Thank you for my grave, paper and note you left me (as well as the track and hinged doors) on the low pop server! It was very sweet of you! smile

Last edited by Jojigirl (2020-04-04 16:22:54)

#4 2020-04-04 17:38:17

testo

I like the way the cursing system works now. I like it a lot because you don´t get free reign to be an asshole to everyone around you whenever you want.

I´ve said it before, I am a mean player. Which means im pretty loose with my language ingame (telling someone retard or dumbass if I think it is deserved). I even steal a few things here and there from other families if the town im currently in needs it. The one thing I try not to do is to shit on others for no reason. Guess what; I don´t get cursed often.

If we had to change the curse system I would rather decrease the time to 20 days and leave the rest untouched.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#5 2020-04-04 17:45:29

Amon

Well, the thing is.
The noose is too tight, and if i'm not mistaken (from all the changes cursing went through).
three curses will get you booted for 30 days (or however long those personalized curses last now)
I'd rather see one booted for a few hours rather than a month off the game, provided the people that cursed are active all the time.
You can rack up a one or two curses just by existing or through a mistake.
It's a very NARROW margin of error.

Last edited by Amon (2020-04-04 17:46:26)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#6 2020-04-04 17:47:04

jasonrohrer
Administrator

It is true that the current radius for curse blocking assumes a huge, spread-out world.

I'm trying to bring it all closer together.

I'll cut the curse-effect radius in half as a start, on Monday.

Can someone make a github issue about this in OneLife?

#7 2020-04-04 18:00:55

testo

I don´t know what the general opinion is but it seems to me that serial griefing has decreased a lot thanks to the current curse system. Blocking someone for a few hours isn´t strong enough to make serial griefers not to shit everywhere.

We got used to people messing around with everyone just for the lulz because annoying others is fun for them. Since they have almost infinite lives that means they just don´t care if they die or what happens to their family. I don´t log in to play with those people because chasing them all around is useless and boring, its not fair when only one party cares.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#8 2020-04-04 18:08:26

Elsayal

jasonrohrer wrote:

Can someone make a github issue about this in OneLife?

Sure

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#9 2020-04-04 18:16:23

FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

The issue I have is cursing is so black and white.  if one person curses you in town, 5 others will do so without hearing the reason why first.  Curses are magic and shouldn't exist, when nothing else (other than babies just popping out of no where and eveing) is magical.  there should be a way to un-curse someone.  especially if it was a mistake like 'curse you' goes to the closest person....so I'm sure many people have been mistakenly cursed this way.  if there is way to apologize and say ope! that was for lady nora Lola instead of you 'I take back my curse' or some other phrase undoes that error.  30 days is a long time to be DT for being too close to someone when they say 'curse you'.  even curse my baby is too vague and able to be exploited.  Yes I am in DT but sometimes I'm able to play depending on time.  Cursing is just another way to divide an already septic community.  'I don't have any curses so I'm better than you!!!! derpaderpaderp'

I'm fish, deal with it or don't, idgaf

#10 2020-04-04 18:17:28

Legs

I've been saying it for a while. Ever since the family specialization update when we were all living in one or two big bell towns. It's very easy to get blocked from spawning if there are only a handful of available spots on the map. Now with the homeland update it's impossible to be born outside of town. If you bend over backwards to be nice and you only play a few lives a month it's probably fine. If you don't like pandering to noobs or you play every week there's a strong chance of ending up a donkey for no good reason. Most people are very petty and frivolous when it comes to cursing. It's not something that they use sparingly, it's something they see someone do once and copy. Without understanding how or why they just see it as a straightforward "screw you" to someone they dislike for whatever reason.

It's at a point where you can't even confront legitimate griefers at all. You can't kill them. You can curse them, but that just gets you cursed back. Is it worth risking a MONTH-LONG ban to save this one town this one time? No. Just let him wreck it and hope the next town is nicer.

Loco Motion

#11 2020-04-04 18:18:01

Elsayal

I agree, 30 days looks far too long. But this is another subject.

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#12 2020-04-04 20:39:13

fug

The people who are complaining about the change are the exact demographic the changes were made to effect.

HMMMMM.

I'd say screw'em and leave it as is even if it is too strong considering they're finally getting what they deserve. If I was going to change it I'd leave it as black text for a person for a month, but the blocking only last a week this way people can be forgiven and people who you explicitly know were being asshats you just renew your block on each week.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#13 2020-04-04 20:43:50

Legs

Once again he's revealing both his tiny offensive babydick and pea sized brain.

Will this little boy ever stop embarrassing himself? I doubt he could even if he wanted to, at this point.

Loco Motion

#14 2020-04-04 21:17:39

FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

fug wrote:

The people who are complaining about the change are the exact demographic the changes were made to effect.

HMMMMM.

I'd say screw'em and leave it as is even if it is too strong considering they're finally getting what they deserve. If I was going to change it I'd leave it as black text for a person for a month, but the blocking only last a week this way people can be forgiven and people who you explicitly know were being asshats you just renew your block on each week.

so what did I do to specifically to 'deserve' DT? you've played with me before, you know my style.  Also Tarr I thought you were better than 'herpaderp the people complaining are the ones who deserve it herpaderp'.

#15 2020-04-04 21:30:00

Jojigirl

It really isn't hard to not get cursed.. I agree with Tarr on this.

#16 2020-04-04 21:46:18

FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

Jojigirl wrote:

It really isn't hard to not get cursed.. I agree with Tarr on this.

it's easy to GET cursed.....curse you.....literally whoever is closest to you.  easy as pie.  not getting cursed is easy, avoid the ones who are moving like ADHD on adrenaline.....those ones will curse you for accidentally stepping on 'their' space.

Last edited by FishRfriendsnotfood (2020-04-04 21:46:41)

#17 2020-04-04 21:51:04

Legs

Right! You can't get cursed if you don't play! It's really very simple. Don't play the game and you can't get cursed. That's the obvious solution here. Anything else is unrealistic.

Loco Motion

#18 2020-04-04 23:48:29

x_Raiema_x

the simple solution to not spawning in DT, is DONT BE A DICK. like man i've been playing this game for months now, and I havnt been cursed a SINGLE time? Why? you may ask. the answer is simple, dont grief. Dont start stabbing people, dont log on to stay AFK your entire life, dont work to destroy other players HARD WORK. Yes, curses can happen by mistake, but if someone is trying to destroy what everyone else has put HOURS into building, its simply rude to attempt to destroy a town. If the griefers are upset about being sent to their timeout corner, maybe they should rethink their actions and consider how mindlessly destroying towns can upset real people. its rude man. dont grief. I've never once met a person who went around cursing people on a whim, you only get one curse for however long and what if you encounter an actual griefer? If you're cursed for no reason its probably because you took something someone spent their life crafting

I say eyyyyyyy constantly <3

#19 2020-04-04 23:54:14

FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

x_Raiema_x wrote:

the simple solution to not spawning in DT, is DONT BE A DICK. like man i've been playing this game for months now, and I havnt been cursed a SINGLE time? Why? you may ask. the answer is simple, dont grief. Dont start stabbing people, dont log on to stay AFK your entire life, dont work to destroy other players HARD WORK. Yes, curses can happen by mistake, but if someone is trying to destroy what everyone else has put HOURS into building, its simply rude to attempt to destroy a town. If the griefers are upset about being sent to their timeout corner, maybe they should rethink their actions and consider how mindlessly destroying towns can upset real people. its rude man. dont grief. I've never once met a person who went around cursing people on a whim, you only get one curse for however long and what if you encounter an actual griefer? If you're cursed for no reason its probably because you took something someone spent their life crafting

but since you are SO wise and know everything, why did I get cursed for saying 'tattoos are hideous' when someone tattooed me against my will.  I got 13 curses I believe that time.  the tattooer was none other than Post herself, and she managed to turn the entire town against me, when she's the one who tattooed me against my will.  So explain to me, how I deserve to be in DT.
Edited to add that before that incident I have never been in DT and have only gotten a curse rarely.

Last edited by FishRfriendsnotfood (2020-04-04 23:57:05)

#20 2020-04-05 00:22:04

Jojigirl

I play plenty, so not sure why that comment was made. I have taken a break here and there, but I still have many hours logged on this game.

I rarely get cursed, I'm not sure how many I actually have total, but I do know it is very very few. I'm too busy to get into role-playing or any drama that goes on around town.. I rarely use my curses as well, unless it's clear as day it's called for.. So Idk.. I don't get how people claim they end up in DT for no reason..

Sure random curses happen for no reason, I just had someone curse me recently because I wouldn't join their "Gang" but that is the first time in a long time that I have been cursed.. From what I see, in all the games I play, curses are mostly handed out when they are deserved.

#21 2020-04-05 04:34:11

Coconut Fruit

I play a lot and never been in dt. I would say leave it 100 tiles. Some people deserve being in dt.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#22 2020-04-05 04:38:34

Coconut Fruit

Tho there was a game where I did get 3 undeserved curses. A person was running around town and asking everyone to curse me with no reason, I helped the town a lot, he was the real griefer.
I was worried I would end up in dt, but it didn't happen.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#23 2020-04-05 07:51:24

Amon

testo wrote:

Blocking someone for a few hours isn´t strong enough to make serial griefers not to shit everywhere.

Keep in mind you can get enough curses 1 curses in a month and if they're from active players you're booted off the game. A few hours really seems fair if it's such as a small comeuppance.
A serial griefer would obviously rack up a lot more curses in a short span of time, no?

I don't grief, but I think going all nuclear ham on the most minor of issues ain't right either.

Last edited by Amon (2020-04-05 07:52:52)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

Board footer