One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-28 21:03:27

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update: Family Mine

O5yhsfE.png

Each family now gets a few iron mine locations along the ley line of their first homeland well site.  These uncovered iron veins offer a bit of bare-hand iron ore, then more accessible with various increasing levels of mining tech (pick, then stanchion, and finally a diesel mine).  Finally, manual mining with tools has become hungry work.

The goal here is to make iron a more precious and carefully-managed resource, instead of one that is practically infinite as it is scattered randomly around a practically infinite map.  This also reduces the "wander around searching" gameplay pattern.

This is a huge change, because iron is something like the spine of the tech tree.  Some adjustments will been needed over the next few days and weeks.

Biome expert way stone frequency has been doubled, to further reduce wandering around searching.

Dangerous animals can no longer be warded off simply by standing on an occupied square---they now can attack as they pass over the square you are standing on, even if they don't land where you're standing.

Arrows now have a quiver, which allows you to reload the bow without setting anything down on the ground.  This will help you hunt those now-more-dangerous animals.

Babies have been changed to only consume food when starving.  In between full and starving, they refuse food.  This makes baby-mother communication a bit more necessary than it used to be.  I'm still working on this part of the game, but I'm trying to reduce the feeling that you might as well go AFK for a real-life snack break during the first three minutes of your life.  What you do when you're a baby should matter more than it does currently.

Touching a property gate will give you an arrow pointing you toward the closest owner.  No more locked mystery gates.

#2 2020-03-28 21:06:46

Roosty knife

Re: Update: Family Mine

Another ideas to make us fight for dumb reasons? Even the screenshot. As i said:
The fixing bugs updates are so much better, those updates at least are making things better! And you are doing nice job with those bugs, like really.
Now new iron change is bunch of dumb restrictions with no game development at all.

Last edited by Roosty knife (2020-03-28 21:16:45)

Makin' Bacon Burritos.

#3 2020-03-28 21:06:55

Elsayal

Awesome smile
Thank for updating the game weekly Jason big_smile

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#4 2020-03-28 21:11:22

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, the idea is that you should care about your precious resources.

Not caring is boring.

#5 2020-03-28 21:18:25

Roosty knife

What caring, Jason? What u are talking about? Everybody in town appreciates the steel tools for example!

Last edited by Roosty knife (2020-03-28 21:18:40)

Makin' Bacon Burritos.

#6 2020-03-28 21:44:49

testo

Terrible boring update. May as well go back to rift to prevent the infinite west wandering at this point.

Small camps for new people trying to learn something away from the village? Nope, not anymore.

Making extra tools ahead of time as smithy because you know they will break and people will come searching those baskets? Nope, not anymore.

Repopulating old settlements because your village went nuts and you need a quite place to play? Noooope, not anymore!!

Making small outposts with spare steel tools for whatever fun reason you may had (Snow forts, tattoo shops, glassworth farm, oil rig with working station)
HAHA

Basically this is saying to the player: "Play the game the way I want you to play, stay in your village and fight with eachother". More drama more fun no?

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#7 2020-03-28 21:52:12

Elsayal

Don't be afraid, just fight for your life.

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#8 2020-03-28 22:05:15

Twisted

jasonrohrer wrote:

This is a huge change, because iron is something like the spine of the tech tree.  Some adjustments will been needed over the next few days and weeks.

This is putting it lightly. The whole tech tree is based around the fact that iron is effectively infinite. A massive revamp is needed to prevent dozens of items from being nothing more than noob traps. Just throwing this change in without doing any balancing whatsoever is baffling and it breaks several aspects of the game.

The animal change has been a long time coming, but animal immunity will be missed. I predict many, many animal deaths over the next few days. It truly is the end of an era.

My prediction for the baby change is that it will reduce the average amount of interactions a mother and child will have since you don't want to touch your baby unless it is starving, which seems extremely bizarre. I could easily be wrong about it.

The death of family outposts and fake eves is also something I will miss greatly, as it will reduce the variety of different lives you can have.

Overall I don't have high hopes for this but we'll see, I've been wrong before.

#9 2020-03-28 22:09:53

Elsayal

Twisted wrote:

It truly is the end of an era.

Or the start of a new era smile

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#10 2020-03-28 22:24:31

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, I am looking for ways to re-enable outposts and "fake eves" in the future.

#11 2020-03-29 01:06:35

mina

Yipes. The wild berry nerf really is killing off eve starts.

#12 2020-03-29 01:12:25

fug

mina wrote:

Yipes. The wild berry nerf really is killing off eve starts.

It's multiple compound problems because this update had zero thought put into it.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#13 2020-03-29 02:28:33

testo

Can we get a broom at least? Please dont change anything, this is not a good update but we can get it going. We just need a straight shaft+tule= broom to actually be able to play.

56 years old    You    49.449    + 0.151    49.599    12 hours ago
60 years old    You    13.744    + 0.995    14.739    6 minutes ago

e4d8bffa547d51f0d6a52447de50b0e3.png

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#14 2020-03-29 02:31:27

fug

45 corpses spread on the floor, 45 corpses of noobs. Pick one up, spread it around, 48 corpses of noobs on the floor!

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#15 2020-03-29 03:10:36

wondible

I dropped from a score of 45ish to 2.5 in about two lives (first one on server1 went to 7) Those lives were a constant flood babies. We might need to accept a higher eve rate with the eventually dieoff during resets. A lot of them were new players and being abandoned/seeing players abandoned isn't a very good impression (and it feels pretty aweful for us too... but I also know how keeping too many kids ends)

Weirdly, the third life back on BS2 had no kids at all. Maybe something weird with my mother being a twin?

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#16 2020-03-29 03:38:12

eajorstad

wondible wrote:

I dropped from a score of 45ish to 2.5 in about two lives (first one on server1 went to 7) Those lives were a constant flood babies. We might need to accept a higher eve rate with the eventually dieoff during resets. A lot of them were new players and being abandoned/seeing players abandoned isn't a very good impression (and it feels pretty aweful for us too... but I also know how keeping too many kids ends)

Weirdly, the third life back on BS2 had no kids at all. Maybe something weird with my mother being a twin?

Omg did you run away with Hope Roher?? Were you my bff???

Last edited by eajorstad (2020-03-29 03:38:25)

#17 2020-03-29 09:17:54

testo

Can we at least leave the game as it is with all the bugs for another day? It is frustrating but we may work an ingame solution, isn´t this what you want us to do? To try to coordinate and stuggle togheter in the game? Somehow this created an amazing social puzzle over the code failure, I think its worth a try.

Please no hotfix because we are too dumb to figure things out.

- Jack Ass

#18 2020-03-29 09:53:00

miskas

Teso I lived a pretty intense Life! For the first time after a year, I was oh fuck I am dead.
This was more intense than the Steam Apocalypse! And Still, I managed to survive and prosper.
Finite Berries and eggs feel Great! (Iron vein bug has to be fixed asap though)
Every life Now matters, Every transition of resources has to have a meaning.  (Thank god rope tools are reversible in the most part)

Thanks Jason! PLEASE FIX THE IRON VEIN BUG THOUGH!

Guide on how to survive and prosper Incoming...

Last edited by miskas (2020-03-29 09:54:25)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#19 2020-03-29 10:01:03

Dodge

Yeah the life i lived was pretty good much more interesting than everything we had for a long time.

Just worried that fixing the bug will make us go back to the previous boredom.

There has to be a middle ground between infinite iron and the broken current update.

#20 2020-03-29 10:08:05

testo

miskas wrote:

Teso I lived a pretty intense Life! For the first time after a year, I was oh fuck I am dead.
This was more intense than the Steam Apocalypse! And Still, I managed to survive and prosper.
Finite Berries and eggs feel Great! (Iron vein bug has to be fixed asap though)
Every life Now matters, Every transition of resources has to have a meaning.  (Thank god rope tools are reversible in the most part)

Thanks Jason! PLEASE FIX THE IRON VEIN BUG THOUGH!

Guide on how to survive and prosper Incoming...

Just to be completely clear im not being sarcastic by any means, I do think this is a bad update from the design pov but I also think it is worth to get the most of it by rolling it to see where it ends up. I would really hate a hotfix for the bug for the simple reason that im not so sure it can´t be circled around ingame. If we got a broken puzzle at least we can see how much do we "really care" about the resources. I would be completely fine and happy with a full week of the game untouched. (I already played 4 full lives)

- Jack Ass

#21 2020-03-29 13:57:39

wondible

eajorstad wrote:

I wasn't a Rohrer. I think one of my mom's twin was an Rohrer though, she named a kid Jason and said she had been waiting to do that forever.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#22 2020-03-29 14:16:44

eajorstad

wondible wrote:
eajorstad wrote:

I wasn't a Rohrer. I think one of my mom's twin was an Rohrer though, she named a kid Jason and said she had been waiting to do that forever.

I was Hope Roher!!! Omg I'm so glad I got to play with you!!

Last edited by eajorstad (2020-03-29 14:17:02)

#23 2020-03-29 15:17:25

wondible

eajorstad wrote:

I was Hope Roher!!! Omg I'm so glad I got to play with you!!

Judgeing from the birth locations, I was Savia Hopeck. This was the infertile life I mentioned. I don't think we really played together much - I ran off for a rock/basket and then thought our two families wouldn't actually work together because of the homeland restrictions, so I kept going south.

#24 2020-10-13 14:19:48

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Each family now gets a few iron mine locations along the ley line of their first homeland well site.

How can one honestly believe that this would ever be the case for all families?  Were the badlands not checked next to a variety of spring sites?  Was it missed that badlands on a ley line 160 tiles in each direction can be small and possibly even non-existent?  How could one reasonably expect that all families would get not one, not two, but *a few* iron mine locations along the ley line of their first homeland well site?

jasonrohrer wrote:

This also reduces the "wander around searching" gameplay pattern.

How can one honestly believe that having to walk 120 tiles *absolute minimum*, and probably more likely a few hundred tiles, would reduce wandering around searching than just find a spring in a safe area, or a spring near a swamp, or a spring in a badlands?  Additionally, if the Eve is brave enough to raise children while wandering around, it meant even more wandering around than before, since it's walking through the badlands, which can mean more back-traveling for food for less experienced Eves?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#25 2020-10-16 02:58:40

Guy

Spoonwood wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Each family now gets a few iron mine locations along the ley line of their first homeland well site.

How can one honestly believe that this would ever be the case for all families?  Were the badlands not checked next to a variety of spring sites?  Was it missed that badlands on a ley line 160 tiles in each direction can be small and possibly even non-existent?  How could one reasonably expect that all families would get not one, not two, but *a few* iron mine locations along the ley line of their first homeland well site?

jasonrohrer wrote:

This also reduces the "wander around searching" gameplay pattern.

How can one honestly believe that having to walk 120 tiles *absolute minimum*, and probably more likely a few hundred tiles, would reduce wandering around searching than just find a spring in a safe area, or a spring near a swamp, or a spring in a badlands?  Additionally, if the Eve is brave enough to raise children while wandering around, it meant even more wandering around than before, since it's walking through the badlands, which can mean more back-traveling for food for less experienced Eves?

Can't you at least put a disclaimer when you necro.

Board footer