One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-28 22:27:57

bpskotch

Gingers have no reason to trade oil

Water is the lifeblood of a town (or iron, considering new updates). With this all in mind, Gingers have no reason to trade it away. Why?

A. Oil is non-renewable. Rubber products can all be renewed in your backyard.
B. It costs very little rubber to generate lots of oil.

Renewable vs. non-renewable means that oil has a significantly higher value. It isn't worth to trade oil for mass rubber because mass rubber simply isn't needed.

Suggestion: Make oil rigs cost way more to run in terms of rubber. Make it so each use only yields 2 pips on a tank (but triple the amount of uses so it generates roughly the same amount of oil.

Last edited by bpskotch (2020-03-28 22:30:01)

#2 2020-03-28 22:38:04

Coconut Fruit

Re: Gingers have no reason to trade oil

We don't trade, yet every fam has everything, maybe just less and not right away.
That's not a surprise, we live in different families every next life, therefore we just share things.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#3 2020-03-28 22:40:11

bpskotch

Coconut Fruit wrote:

We don't trade, yet every fam has everything, maybe just less and not right away.
That's not a surprise, we live in different families every next life, therefore we just share things.

That's because some vets that have a hero complex spend multiple lives of every race gathering everything and supplying towns while asking for nothing in return. This is NOT how Jason wants us to play. (I'm included in this, I won't lie but I see the problems in playing this way)

#4 2020-03-28 22:46:14

bpskotch

Also, I must note that what I'd ACTUALLY like to see is oil become semi-renewable so that it balances better with other necessary racial goods, but this game only gets nerfs not buffs. I'm not wasting my time suggesting something that buffs.

#5 2020-03-28 23:13:18

pein

The whole race specializations are bad cause water is a basic resource, so limiting high end ruins the low end.
At the start of the game, when water was free, work mattered more, with each nerfs it matters less. Since 1% of players makes oil 99% does nothing and just waiting for it. It totally kills the economy.

Any tech you cannot make on your own you can't plan for. So you can't expect to have horses or oil so that just feels hopeless, luck-based gimmick, not an actual gameplay element.   Not a problem you can overcome. Suiciding cause of it it's totally understandable since is the only way to solve it.
Dropping a note on the floor over and over for 10 minutes can't be considered a fun interaction, people don't even know or care to help you. Last time I did oil, we had every single upgrade, took me 3 minutes to tell the whites to tell the ginger to follow, she made a fire in the ice and said bye. She was the only one able to do it. The people who can do it will do it, this whole thing with slots and races is just bad. You got the knowledge, the skill but you can't do it so you tell others to do it. It would be more fun if you actually need others to help, like use up some stamina and they save time for  you, or team jobs, or actual value to any action and less focus on resource gathering, more on processing.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2020-03-29 01:47:42

DestinyCall

bpskotch wrote:

This is NOT how Jason wants us to play.

Then he should remove racial specializations.  The current mechanics heavily encourage the current meta of resource sharing between families.   You can't live without other races.

Except for Vanillas.   They are pretty useless.

Board footer