One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-28 20:22:49

QuirkySmirkyIan

Should I stop using mods and use vanilla?

I've been playing for so long and the game is super easy to me and I want a bit of a challenge. I also saw that some people don't like it when people use mods. Tell me what you guys thing.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#2 2020-03-28 20:35:30

Coconut Fruit

Re: Should I stop using mods and use vanilla?

Play a game without zooming then come back and tell your thoughts about it.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#3 2020-03-28 20:55:37

Elsayal

I played it with zoom a lot, and yeah it's much easier. Vanilla is not made for everyone.

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#4 2020-03-28 22:12:25

DestinyCall

Either way works as long as you are having fun.   

Personally, I don't like the narrow view.   But if you want more challenge, it might make the game feel harder to go back to vanilla.   Like playing a game on Ironman settings.

#5 2020-03-28 22:59:27

pein

Use chocolate.

I played the game 450ish hours vanilla, and made pens bigger than the screen, fences in all strategic points and regularly gathering iron. Actually duelling was easier on it, the timings were way better. And I didn't make fast roads inside the cities or tiny 3x3 toilet buildings.

A good looking setup is already bigger than the screen. You miss out on so much not seeing it in total size.

As for others hating on it, nobody told them not to use it. the game should be zoomed on default. The visual looks of the screen size won't make the immersion better, not for me, not anymore.

As for people like Legs who calls it cheating: if I would use vanilla and you use zoom, I would be still better at it so what is your excuse? big_smile

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2020-03-29 03:01:55

Legs

pein wrote:

As for people like Legs who calls it cheating: if I would use vanilla and you use zoom, I would be still better at it so what is your excuse? big_smile

I win by default. You are not even eligible to compete with someone as great as me as long as you keep cheating.

Loco Motion

#7 2020-03-29 03:04:18

DestinyCall

Legs wrote:
pein wrote:

I win by default. You are not even eligible to compete with someone as great as me as long as you keep cheating.

In this scenario, YOU are the cheater, Legs.   So by your own logic, you lose and Pein wins.

#8 2020-03-29 07:59:01

Morti

QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:

I've been playing for so long and the game is super easy to me and I want a bit of a challenge.

If it's easy, then take on bigger challenges, to accommodate the wider view.

Humanity did this when it tamed riding animals, it did this when it invented the boat.
It did it when it invented the automobile and it did it when it invented the airplane.

We've had people in space now for what, 60 years? People went to the Moon over 50 years ago and now we have networks of satellites and an international space station that has had a permanent human presence on it for over two decades.

Oh the times, they are a changing.

rV5DKkP.png

That's the Earth seen from 40 times the distance the Earth is from the Sun.
It was taken 30 years ago, February 14, 1990.

Everything, you've ever experienced, happened in that tiny, blue, dot.

#9 2020-03-29 09:25:39

arkajalka

Only noobs play with mods. Vanilla experience is much more intense. Never felt the need for mods, just makes life too ez.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#10 2020-03-29 09:40:34

Léonard

Morti wrote:

We've had people in space now for what, 60 years? People went to the Moon over 50 years ago and now we have networks of satellites and an international space station that has had a permanent human presence on it for over two decades.

Wow, what is this kick-ass game you're talking about that has space stations and stuff?!!
It sounds amazing! I want to be part of "Humanity" whatever it is!
It has a lot of extra content over OHOL.
Kind of makes me want to play it, you know, unlike some other game.

#11 2020-03-29 09:51:41

testo

In my not so humble opinion:

- Zoom is good and helps a lot, but I could live without it. I would have to go around wandering for any tool I want to find or rabbit to catch but meh, just slows your game a lot, doesn´t change the gameplay.

- Navigation coords and danger tiles are way more painful to lose, you basically get screwed because you can´t see three tiles north  and because while running your character stays in the middle of the screen which is a huge design flaw in a game with hazards. Also the mosquito sprite is nonsense, getting killed by hazards you can´t see in a game is just frustrating and adds nothing to the gameplay. But you could still get a nice experience by avoiding bad biomass and moving super slow if you need to go throught them.

- But tbh no keyboard control using wasd is what kills vanilla for me. I just don´t enjoy a point and click game from the control side. I used to play a lot on vanilla until I realized how clunky and boring it is to move with the mouse compared to wasd.

So it all depends on what features do you value the most from the mod you use. For me no wasd support is a deal breaker.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#12 2020-03-29 12:25:30

Legs

Morti wrote:

Pale Blue Dot

Have you ever watched Carl Sagan's Cosmos? It's one of my all-time favorite TV series. None of the information presented is very complicated, but it states the basics in such a poetic way that watching is a pleasure. I actually live near Ithaca, NY where the late Sagan taught at Cornell university. Recently while doing some snooping I learned that the university was actually our Jason's alma mater. It really is a beautiful campus, I've visited it a few times to see friends going to school there.

Anyway, Cosmos. Check out the Voyager Golden Record as well if you haven't already. What a way to put a message in a bottle.

Loco Motion

#13 2020-03-29 15:35:23

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

No.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#14 2020-03-29 15:45:49

Morti

Legs wrote:
Morti wrote:

Pale Blue Dot

Have you ever watched Carl Sagan's Cosmos? It's one of my all-time favorite TV series. None of the information presented is very complicated, but it states the basics in such a poetic way that watching is a pleasure. I actually live near Ithaca, NY where the late Sagan taught at Cornell university. Recently while doing some snooping I learned that the university was actually our Jason's alma mater. It really is a beautiful campus, I've visited it a few times to see friends going to school there.

Anyway, Cosmos. Check out the Voyager Golden Record as well if you haven't already. What a way to put a message in a bottle.

You don't know I taught astronomy, do you?
It's okay. I taught from 1991 till 2000.
Carl was probably one of my biggest inspirations, him, Stephen Hawking, and, definitely Albert Einstein.
I read every biography of Einstein I could get my hands on, ten every one of Hawking books, and about forty other books on everything from particle physics to cosmology, before, getting my job at the planetarium at 13. Cosmos is like the Encyclopedia Galactica of the history of the universe, and, of mankind's attempt to understand it. If anyone hasn't read it and has even a passing interest in the field, I highly recommend it. It's basically the answer, to Life the Universe and Everything, nevermind that Douglas Adams chap. ;-)

Board footer