One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2020-03-27 17:06:59

Elsayal

Re: Big change incoming: animal attacks can happen on non-empty tiles

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Quiver will be usefull against bears attacks in towns, but not necessarily useful in hunting outside of town (unless hunting bears).

No, even to hunt bears, you better use a backpack with a pie and a sharp stone.
For the in-town attack, I'm not sure if you really want to waste a rope to make a quiver, better have another bucket, box or bow.

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#52 2020-03-27 17:12:29

Melea

pein wrote:

There is no chance you would kill a bear with arrows, as I said, they survive easily chest shots, if they are on 4 legs it's under them and they got a thick skin and fat layer, if they are on 2 feet, it's already too late. They might die eventually but it might take more than a day and doesn't really affect their movement, it even makes them mad. Maybe if you shot them in the eye all through the brain but I doubt you can aim that well for a moving target.

antking:]# wrote:

Na a bow and arrow could never kill a bear... a bears hide is too tough, I think that we have gotten to used to our modern arsenal to understand the true terror a bear can be...
Bears are scary and in real life the only really way to effectively kill a bear with primative weapons is to attack a bear in  a group which no one ever did because it was a bear, and their were hundreds of easer things to kill besides a bear, that's why we don't have any bear meat based recipes any where in the world.

Lol. Black bear, grizzly/brown bear, and even polar bear have all been successfully hunted using bow & arrow. Using modern compound bows as well as traditional recurve & longbows...a few people have even taken bears using primitive self-bows with handmade arrows.

Fred Bear (some call him the father of modern archery) took a world-record sized grizzly bear in 1962 with his recurve. And an Alaskan hunter in...2009? 2010? pushed the record farther with an even larger grizzly - he was also using a traditional recurve bow. Archery equipment wouldn't be legal hunting gear for large animals if they didn't work well.

Hell, Fred Bear killed a bull African elephant with a 75-pound draw weight recurve (back in 1964, before these animals were as endangered, and before people knew as much about their intelligence.) With good arrow placement (need lots of practice obviously), heavy & sharp arrows, and a bow with high draw weight there's no land animal that can't be taken down with archery equipment.

#53 2020-03-28 01:21:49

pein

There is a lot of unrealistic things in-game.
In real life it would be hard to make a bow, even harder to make a good one.
Maybe you find one or someone gives you one, you would still need long training to have a good aim, and strength to pull it fast. Especially in deadly situations, most people would stress out. Ofc a trained hunter will be able to use a bow properly and with decent accuracy but they will also create a situation where they are at an advantage, even they would have trouble when they get randomly attacked.
I'm not saying is impossible, but a lot of people fail even with guns, also bears are not the best food.

Kinda reminds me of the Karl May stories, he was such a big liar, I guess it worked for the dramatic effects.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#54 2020-03-30 04:18:34

AlzWell

jasonrohrer wrote:

Also on the list this week:

If bear attacks are common, people can use fences around their towns to protect themselves, right?

So..can we shoot over those fences?

#55 2020-03-30 04:33:58

Cogito

AlzWell wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Also on the list this week:

If bear attacks are common, people can use fences around their towns to protect themselves, right?

So..can we shoot over those fences?

What a great question, I've never even thought to try it.

Ideally you could shoot over property fences and wooden fences, though I wonder what the impact to defensive fences would be (from other players).

Stone walls should not be able to be shot over, but maybe you could create a 'fortifications' stone wall that can be shot through one-way.

#56 2020-03-30 05:15:31

DestinyCall

Pretty sure you can shoot through property fences.  Haven't tested it lately.

#57 2020-03-30 05:48:59

fug

Shooting through fences was a bug from like the start of the game and was patched near fence releases.

Animals cant attack you if they cant move though.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#58 2020-03-30 05:55:19

DestinyCall

You can also construct inexpensive pine walls with sheep-style gates around your town if you are dealing with frequent bear attacks.    I prefer pine walls over property fences, because they are much easier to move and redesign when the town needs more space to expand and they are simple to remove if someone decides to block the entrances.    Property fenced towns are just big death boxes.   

Also keeping up large property fences for the entire life of the village is just a pain in the ass.

Board footer