One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-27 04:01:48

pein

Jason, got a fairy simple idea for an item

Carpets/Flags/Doormats

The idea would be that each family would have a banner, randomly chosen from a set of patterns
Simple patterns in different color/hue/saturation

They would work as bear skins, people could put it on floors (carpets), front of doors (doormats), or on a pole (flags)
It would come in different sizes: small, medium, big

Alternatively, windows could be added and have curtains

It would be locked family-wide, so when you got your banner, it couldn't be changed over and over, maybe once.
It would have to be unique (at least the colour if not the shape).

Simple circles, squares, stripes left and right, checkered 2 colour combos, one black or white and the other some pastel colour.
It should be at least 8? different types as many as families.

As for how to be made, maybe wool would be the simplest, with a new type of machine, 1 would be for a doormat, half the size of a tile (a bit wider), the medium would be tile size and big would be a bit wider. It would be fun if it would be made from hemp or another process than sheep.
Since it would be locked to families, it shouldn't be too expensive, cause it might need to decay once the family dies out. Otherwise could be locked to unique positions (wells) so it would be needed a few more styles, but at least wouldn't mix.

One complain people got that every city looks the same, this way each family would have its own style, so their city would look more personalized. Since most families don't mix now, wouldn't be too many weird combos.

Alternatively, you could make a system where new patterns can be designed and if they aren't offensive it could be added to the game so the community could make some good presets.  When I made floor mods, they really changed up the look and feel of the rooms, only that I choose way too bright colours so some of them looked weird.

I guess it wouldn't be the simplest to make a good system for it, but it would be a lot of items, without actually being different from each other and would make each city look fresh.

jzt6Jr2.png
the picture is just a quick illustration, I messed around 2 minutes in photoshop

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2020-03-27 04:30:52

Morti

Re: Jason, got a fairy simple idea for an item

I'd dig seeing some floor tile variety.
And I'm sure others would as well.

"Ooh is that a Persian rug, where'd you get it?"
"Stole it from the Persian family's home."
"LOL"
"XD"

#3 2020-03-27 04:35:59

Morti

So much, is possible...
EJk2wNB.jpg

But I do especially like the idea of biome/family specific floor coverings, given the current racial discriminations.

Definition 2, of course.
7h85Tbj.png

#4 2020-03-27 05:50:36

pein

is that sims2? some of that looks good
checkered and striped mostly

shouldn't be too bright colours and since Jason doesn't do seamless, should be pseudo seamless ones

It shouldn't be stolen and replaced, I guess if you rip it off then it converts back to the original item, then gets the style based on the family/well site ID. Also, another reason why it shouldn't be too complex to make and costing too much, it should be statical.

I guess if each family  would have his overlay for board floors that would do.

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2020-03-27 13:25:36

Morti

pein wrote:

is that sims2? some of that looks good
checkered and striped mostly

You made me think of the floors and wallpaper in the original sims, so I typed sims floors into Google and that popped up as one of the picture. Wasn't sure which one it was from.

pein wrote:

It shouldn't be stolen and replaced, I guess if you rip it off then it converts back to the original item, then gets the style based on the family/well site ID. Also, another reason why it shouldn't be too complex to make and costing too much, it should be statical.

I guess if each family  would have his overlay for board floors that would do.

I was thinking more like the bear rug equivalent of fruit boots or seal skin coat; that they could be stolen or repurposed, but that it would be easier for, say, the jungle biome family, to gather resources from the jungle to make a floor covering, like, I don't know, maybe palm fronds. They could either just be laid on an existing floor tile, as fronds themselves, or be fashioned into something more like a conventional rug.
Maybe the gingers could have caribou or reindeer, and their fur could be fashioned into a rug.
Not sure about the desert. Lion was the first thing that came to mind because of the black people, but, lions don't really inhabit desert regions. I do know that in the Sahara, people farm olives and figs, generally near an oasis. Maybe people make things from those plant's fibers. I wonder what Berber carpets are made of? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berber_carpet looks like Olefin fiber, Nylon and wool, among other material.

Problem with my interpretation of your idea, is then, what do white people get? They haven't been given a biome to collect any unique materials. Maybe just something from the swamp, grassland, prairie or badland? Or, maybe they get a biome of their own. The ocean? The mountains? Maybe.. taiga?

I suppose I see what you are going for, with the more so family specific varieties, instead of the biome specific, resource based ones. Guess I'm not a fan though of the homesick, family well, idea, but I do see it as a new part of the game that can have a purpose, just not sure I like where it might lead, when the same players are born to families of every race, in the same world, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. There is no loyalty encouraged, no Horde vs Alliance, sort-of mentality, to arise from gameplay. No preexisting story behind why there should be these distinctions, when again, all the same people.

#6 2020-03-27 14:46:37

Legs

A lot of the world's flags follow similar patterns, and I wonder if it would be possible to use procedural generation in making a flag. The most popular colors, popular combinations and formats. It would be cool to have a flag.

Loco Motion

#7 2020-03-27 15:01:11

pein

it looks like sims 2 based on the patio
and now I recognize the grey-blue one, but I think it wasn't that many in the original game, possibly a mod or after he 12+ DLC content

I'm not saying I'm much of a fan of the homesick update but families segregate more now, so it could be locally different carpets like tartan was unique in past based on the local plants

Pine floors are easy enough to make, it shouldn't be harder than that, since you already do flooring, if it would be restricted to wood floors or stone maybe then it would be consistent with that, so really like bear rugs, it should be made the same way but look differently based on family or location. Obviously you would need less variety based on families, even like 8 types repeating would be enough (I bet some people would quit over the look of carpets anyway) but the more the merrier, also location-based unique look would be better since then outposts got their own style.

non-essential things should be costing work and time only, the resource-based settings are already too overwhelming

and if he adds to the racial restrictions we can never get rid of it
I don't like it cause it's not a logical process, not something that you can overcome by will, hard work and knowledge
it's luck mostly. generally, people still don't communicate, and you can't force them to, they will do things if they know how to and won't do if they don't, they follow you cause it's obvious that's why you are there, so it isn't like you will convince a new player to do oil for you in a totally different language. I don't like to feel helpless, it's not the same as being a baby it's worse.
Might sound good on paper but in-game is really bad. It was going on for a while, people wanted variety, it should be parallel systems to do the same thing or similar things with the same value.

A good example is Grepolis where you cooperate in your own island to donate resources to upgrade your speciality resource. Wood is always the same, the wine/marble/glass or whatever are the resources are roughly equal since upgrades require them, so there is always a need and surplus somewhere else. Or the west had a separate crafting system, where it was totally separated from main game item, not directly convertible backwards so it was basically a luxury buffing system.

People still go around the restriction in this game, since you will be born elsewhere and continue your job so it's not really a trade, it's theft and charity and continuing your own work. A lot of things made worse to live to 60 and switching locations often is a better strategy.

Loyalty could be formed when the player base would be split into groups, like teams or clans, I don't think race is a good idea to limit the groups, ideally, you would need 4 races for each team but then you couldn't split 50 people into 2 teams into 4 races. So this intertwined system is not good for loyalty. If anyone could do the tech upgrades, 2 teams of multiple families could be formed.

4 or 8 teams would be ideal but we don't have enough players. That way we could be team locked and you could only switch teams once per week or something. Maybe get a loyalty bonus, then you would want to stay in a team across multiple lives and switch on the end of week.

#8 2020-03-27 15:35:06

Morti

Legs wrote:

A lot of the world's flags follow similar patterns, and I wonder if it would be possible to use procedural generation in making a flag. The most popular colors, popular combinations and formats. It would be cool to have a flag.

Bolt of Wool Cloth + Dye = Colored Bolt of Wool Cloth + Dye

Then

Item + Paint = Paint Coated Item + Bucket

And

Paint Coated Item + Colored Bolt of Wool Cloth = Item + Flag Design

Let's say, possible items start at 4, and, let's say there were 6 colors of paint and 6 colors of dye.

That'd be... 24... 144 different possible flag combinations.

Basically just 4 flags, with different colors combinations, but...any of the ones like white on white or black on black, could be removed. So, more like 120.

And, similar technique could be used to color walls or to make wall paper, or even to design floor tiles. Wood floors could be painted, for color, and then an item could be dipped in paint to add colored patterns to the tiles. Currently for crowns, we have leaf, carrot and wolf, but, we could add another, like, the mushroom.

Mushroom crowns, mushroom wallpaper, mushroom flag, mushroom floor tiles. All in red and white themes. or white and green, if you're into the 1-up look, or, black and green, of you're a vinesauce fan.

Future combinations could then be added, if requests for them were persuasive enough, or, Jason just up and decided that bear pelts or smith's hammer or clay bowls, could be used as stamps.

OR

It could be even more tedious, and there could be an ocean biome with sponges.

Item + Sponge = Sponge with Item
Sponge with Item + Charcoal Pencil = Sponge with Item and Outline + Chacoal Pencil
Item is removed, outline exists on sponge

Shears + Sponge with Item Outline = Shears + Shaped Sponge Stamp

Then that stamp could be dipped in paint and applied to various surfaces or materials, to add the pattern.

Banana, Cactus Fruit and Fish could be biome-based, family specific, stamps

#9 2020-03-27 18:27:47

antking:]#

May be Tapestries should be made in the loom, and you could dye the big balls of Yarn
and making Tapestries would go like this

(Any Color)Yellow big ball of yarn + Loom = Loom with yellow warp (Any Color)

Loom with yellow warp +(Any Color) big ball of yarn = Loom with Yellow and White Tapestry

Shears + Loom with Yellow and White Tapestry  = Loom with cut Yellow and White Tapestry

Now this is where things get crazy, no one wants a plain two colored or one colored Tapestry, and remember when I said we could color with big Balls of yarn? well what if we could also color a Ball of Thread.....

and then make a Needle and Colored Ball of Thread,  now this can be any available color, and lets color.
Let's continue with our Yellow and White Tapestry, and you have a Needle and Black Ball of Thread, and you want to put a rabbit on your tapestry.

Needle and Black Ball of Thread + dead rabbit = Rabbit Print

Rabbit print + Yellow and White Tapestry = (B) Rabbit (Y)&(W) Tapestry, Needle and Black Ball of Thread, and Dead rabbit

And this would go for everything, such as a Rose Print, Mango leaf Print Ext.

now for a question you might have, well antking what will determine the amount of things on a tapestry?

and before, putting anything on a tapestry you would use a charcoal, pencil to divide the tapestry example- One quadrant tapestry is one design taking up the entire space of the tapestry, 2 quadrants to designs in the tapestry, ext. up to four.

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#10 2020-03-27 21:01:36

Gogo
Banned

Each race would make their own carpet style.

#11 2020-03-28 01:08:12

pein

I would prefer each family over each race
That's like twice as much also if random then  wouldn't repeat, which is the main point

I guess if it's made out of wool, it should cover several tiles, like 6 wool into 12 tiles carpet,  or  rather 8 into 16, that's a 4x4 room
quite a lot of food wasted not making clothes or not feeding lambs

Board footer