One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-23 23:36:00

Elsayal

To feed or not to feed the troll

It's like feeding a wolf to grief a town.

In fact, it makes the forum alive and in flesh, and also show how Jason is open to criticism, and fight against any form of censureship. But sometimes some post feels more like repeatiting advertising with the big shitty headline of the worse newspapper you can find.

Damn I feel better.

Regarding the life of the forum, I like more some kind of ahem .. how to say that ... mortification, maybe ? Who is maintaining the spirit alive. If you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I know for a fact that Jason is not Jesus. Just ... trust me on this one.

So, is it better to let the people enjoy and stop complaining ?
Or,
to make your own game to be less frustated ?
Or,
to get refund ?
Or,
whateveryouthinkcouldbeagoodmemeoraseriousthing.

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#2 2020-03-24 01:30:11

The_Anabaptist

Re: To feed or not to feed the troll

Quite the contrary.  When good ideas are ignored or openly rebuffed, it merely shows that Jason is closed to collaboration with the player base.  Then those positive threads dry up and all you have left are the negative ones. 

Most of us just get tired of endlessly railing against a system that refuses to change.

Ecclesiastes 1-12
All Is Vanity
1 The words of the Preacher,[a] the son of David, king in Jerusalem.
2 Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher,
    vanity of vanities! All is vanity.
3 What does man gain by all the toil
    at which he toils under the sun?
4 A generation goes, and a generation comes,
    but the earth remains forever.
5 The sun rises, and the sun goes down,
    and hastens to the place where it rises.
6 The wind blows to the south
    and goes around to the north;
around and around goes the wind,
    and on its circuits the wind returns.
7 All streams run to the sea,
    but the sea is not full;
to the place where the streams flow,
    there they flow again.
8 All things are full of weariness;
    a man cannot utter it;
the eye is not satisfied with seeing,
    nor the ear filled with hearing.
9 What has been is what will be,
    and what has been done is what will be done,
    and there is nothing new under the sun.
10 Is there a thing of which it is said,
    “See, this is new”?
It has been already
    in the ages before us.
11 There is no remembrance of former things,
    nor will there be any remembrance
of later things yet to be
    among those who come after.

The_Anabaptist

#3 2020-03-24 02:28:11

pein

I was posting daily something, I was even doing some off-forum voting and showing the results to people
most of that was when I was actively playing

Also made quite some tutorials and mods, and got a fully-fledged stamp folder for ohol, to make small blueprints for ideas

People ran out of things they could talk about cause the game didn't change much lately

I guess spoon is boring when he rants the same way about the same thing every time, but still a bit of activity I guess.

Jason doesn't really care anymore, as the game grows the bugs also grow, before release he had a few months of content, so adding more stuff before we tried the whole game was interesting. As you run out of fun activities and the game just can't make you feel much, bugfixes and tutorial don't feel too good. The first crisis was before the jungle update, I was digging bushes and flooring them. Kinda half year later that was the activity of most players.

The last good update was adding the newcommens, he had a few changes for water, the first well change was kinda my idea, to make advanced wells better and require them for advancing in tech. Then he made the grid for wells which was okay I guess, was bad on paper but not so bad ingame.

Then he went overboard with water changes, they are just restricting more and nothing new or fun about them, and as a sole goal in tech, especially with artificial slowdowns that you can't overcome cause of your skin colour, it just feels tedious grind for nothing.

He had this idea for wars and trade. For wars, he went on with removing the skill-based duels which are bad. Then the swords which were broken.
Then the fences which were useless, private properties and item ownership is still meaningless and slows down progress, selfish hoarders won't make your family live longer. Then he went on forcing it even more with making fences even cheaper and gates almost free.
Then the confined area of rifts which brought plenty of griefers together, it showed us some data about the problems like how unchallenging the game is, but he really didn't care about the rewarding system only the punishing.

The generic nerfs target the top, the top tech is the same as the low tech: water. So basically he thinks that 100% of the player base will do the most optimal thing for their city.

Instead of adding parallel tech for families or unique ones that only some families can choose and disables others, he just cut apart the already made content and restricted it to races. The map is still boring and samey, it's better than before but once people learn to navigate bigger portions of the map, they realize how pointless is to move around cause it's the same thing everywhere.

Jason stopped answering me and a few others, like Tarr, when we made a lot of logical points, he eventually just started ignoring it partially or fully. I guess I had a few negative comments on him but nothing major.
I don't say I'm perfect or always right, I don't even try to be, I just analyze the situation and tell what's what, how it feels. Quite a lot of players got way more playtime than him, so I guess that should count for something.
I even accept that he wants his own game with his own "creative" and "unique" ideas, just because you don't know that someone already had the idea before, doesn't mean it's unique, we are at a stage of civilization that whatever you say someone else already said it before, it might exist somewhere already so better to have a bit similarity than a half-assed unique feature that is nor fun or balanced.

When Tarr came back as Fug, he had a typical Tarr comment and I already knew it's him, Jason thanked him not knowing who it is, if he would have known, he would have said something else or nothing at all. That shows how Jason goes on to ignore mode toward some people.
Lately, I was throwing out some ideas and opinions and I think it was grasping the root of the issues, nothing major happening lately and even if the game has good potential, it just became more tedious and people give up on it.

Jason is fine with it, he is still profiting from it so he gave up on veterans and he hopes some new players get hooked for a while then quit when they get bored.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2020-03-24 07:42:54

Dodge

That particular individual doesn't take no for an answer and no matter how many times and how many ways you explain to him that something is not going to happen because of a multitude number of reasons will just keep going rambling,posting etc.

Most likely not a real troll but at the same time it's borderline trolling at this point.

Feeding or not is everyone's choice but be warned that unless you see things exactly how that person sees it and if you have an only sligthly different view on things, trying to have a discussion with this person will be as interesting as talking to a wall and watching paint dry.

Board footer