One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-04-15 04:45:13

Lexyvil

Re: On grief terrorism, and to new players recently murdered/griefed

Lexyvil wrote:

I only had had about five incidents where a killer was on the loose during my 80 hours of playing. That's 5 lives out of who knows how many, 200 lives? That's 2.5%.
Luckily on those runs where a killer is around, we have a town guard who owns a weapon with a chance take the murderer down.

Did your townguard stop people from replacing all carrots with wheat seeds to waste soil on purpose and starve the village?
Did he stop people from taking carts full of food away from town?
Did he protect tools so they can't be brought outside of the worn and hidden?
Did he protect pies/muttons from being eaten by kids or with just one hunger bar missing, on purpose?
Did he stop people from taking horses and releasing them in wilderness way outside of others vision?

I'm referring more about murderers than griefers. I personally don't know how to better counter people who bring hard-to-craft objects away from the town. I think the worse crime is getting rid of tools.

#27 2018-04-15 09:08:50

Ka

KucheKlizma wrote:

The only difference between you and me is that I am able to admit that i've griefed and I don't try to hold a high communist moral ground.

You're just a liar. You lie to yourself and you lie to others. All people grief unintentionally while they are still figuring out the game. It's how it's designed. Saying you've never griefed is a moronic lie.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. … m=griefing

As others have said, griefing is defined by intention. Being a noob is a different thing.

You are the one lying to yourself to justify your bad behavior, and it doesn't even do that.

And stop talking about communism, for fuck's sake. You clearly have your definitions messed up, and it shows. I'll just stop replying to your nonsense until you make it possible to have a rational discussion.

#28 2018-04-15 10:04:03

Lavea

I don't grief. Don't get my kicks from other people's pain or unhappiness. KucheKlizma if you think everyone does, I think you are rationalising your own actions. It's ok I do a bad thing cause everyone does. So it's good I do bad. They don't, it's not. You do bad.

#29 2018-04-15 13:09:30

Potjeh

Griefing is for people who are so dead inside that the only joy they can feel is schadenfreude. Don't hate them, pity them.

#30 2018-04-15 15:55:57

fragilityh14

Ka wrote:
KucheKlizma wrote:

The only difference between you and me is that I am able to admit that i've griefed and I don't try to hold a high communist moral ground.

You're just a liar. You lie to yourself and you lie to others. All people grief unintentionally while they are still figuring out the game. It's how it's designed. Saying you've never griefed is a moronic lie.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. … m=griefing

As others have said, griefing is defined by intention. Being a noob is a different thing.

You are the one lying to yourself to justify your bad behavior, and it doesn't even do that.

And stop talking about communism, for fuck's sake. You clearly have your definitions messed up, and it shows. I'll just stop replying to your nonsense until you make it possible to have a rational discussion.

Yeah as as self-described anti-communist, this forum situation definitely has absolutely nothing to do with communism.

Though, in general, the totalitarian society aspect of this game is quite interesting. I suppose my free societies do keep collapsing from laziness, but I kneel to no man in this game or IRL, so never accept a leader that does more than kindly apportion tasks.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#31 2018-04-16 05:19:31

KucheKlizma

Just because you don't understand unintended griefing it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Spawning a couple of babies only to see them destroy all milkweed in a 100 mile radius, including milkweed farms, isn't pleasant.

Ignorance doesn't excuse griefing.

Fact is the game is more competitive than it is cooperative. If it takes 2-5 minutes to kill someone to get fully clothed, rather than 30 minutes to find milkweed and rabbit furs, which get stolen repetitively, guess which route people will learn to take more often than not. Furthermore if you need milkweed asap before the furs you have eyes on get stolen, why not get them while they're not fruiting? Why not dry those wells to cut a corner? Why even bother keeping the farm or berries, when other people are doing it for you and there's food everywhere?

Deliberate actions are vastly outnumbered by the unintended ones. Sure a deliberate troll can destroy an entire civilization, but on a personal scale it's no different than dying to starvation because nobody managed the farm and respawning in a different spot.

So maybe there's no griefing in the game at all? Maybe it's just all PVP and you all are noobies who don't know how to play and cry about better players. I personally have no problem rushing a bow each game and playing like if it's rust, if that's how the game is indented to be played as "there's no unintentional griefing"

Why even bother discussing a topic if you all are dead set on your dim opinions and unwilling to think? Are you only capable of circle jerking and reinforcing your own ignorance? That's a silly way to live.

Last edited by KucheKlizma (2018-04-16 05:25:06)

#32 2018-04-16 08:20:16

Christoffer
Website

KucheKlizma wrote:

Just because you don't understand unintended griefing it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

With respect, here is an online definition of griefing (there are other, similar ones):

1. Purposefully shooting or otherwise sabotaging your teammates in an online game.

2. In online gaming where one repeatedly killing the same individual or individuals over and over again, or camping their corpse to prevent them from retrieving it, or otherwise performing actions in a game to prevent the player from enjoying the game.

3. In online gaming, someone who takes pleasure in creating grief for an opponent via various "cheap" tactics.

Unintended griefing does not exist, per definition. If it is not done on purpose, it is not griefing.
You are entitled to your opinions, but please stick to the same definition. If it makes it easier for you, then substitute "griefing" with "intentional griefing" (to the rest of us these are the same, and that's how you need to view and respond to other posts discussing griefing).

Note that doing something bad against other players in game, with the result that you win a benefit for yourself in-game, is not griefing. So stealing food to extend your life is not griefing, while planting wheat with the sole intention to disrupt farming is.

Thanks, and I wish you happy gaming!

#33 2018-04-16 21:51:22

TerraSleet

Ka wrote:
Joriom wrote:

Did your townguard stop people from replacing all carrots with wheat seeds [snip]

Would Jason be able to [snip]

This entire post nailed the issue on the head IMO. The problem isn't just that people can grief too easily, the problem is also that one or two deluded, mentally unstable people have taken the game way too far and decided to blow it wildly out of proportion and become the problem they claim to solve, all while trying to paint themselves as "martyrs" and prove their point on how terrible humanity is.

Political grief terrorism is a perfect way of putting it. And how do we deal with terrorists? That's right, we don't because they can't be reasoned with. We declare war on them instead. Ban Joriom and anyone else doing this shit with him IMO - permanently. People that do shit like this will not change because they don't see error in their ways and are worse than griefers, they're sociopaths. They're the sole reason ban features exist in most multiplayer video games - and in real life!

KucheKlizma wrote:

Just because you don't understand unintended griefing it doesn't mean it doesn't exist [snip]

This mindset also bothers me. Unintended griefing is not a thing. Griefing requires malicious intent - keyword in INTENT. Just because someone is accidentally or ignorantly emptying out ponds or planting the wrong seeds, that doesn't make them a griefer. It makes them uneducated or foolish. Stop punishing new players by lumping them in with assholes, teach them instead.

Last edited by TerraSleet (2018-04-16 21:57:56)

#34 2018-04-16 21:59:07

KucheKlizma

I think you need to lookup the definition of slang, as you obviously have zero comprehension of the English language.

There's no such thing as official definition for slang words, it's informal language. Arguing otherwise is just stupid, like this whole thread.

If you can't understand what I've clarified in comprehensible words I'm not sure what more to say to you. Arguing minor semantics is pointless like this whole diatribe.

I've been accustomed to griefing since Ultima Online, don't tell me what griefing is and isn't.

Most games don't allow the option of wasting people's time unless it's deliberate, this one does. That's the core difference. Not in the proposed "definition" of a slang gaming term.

Furthermore teaching new players is impossible. Once you teach new player, said player ceases to be a new player and becomes an experienced player. New players will always be unexperienced new players and will continue to arrive for as long as the game attracts new audience. It's a moot point, as it's an impossibly large undertaking for a single player to convert all current and future new players into experienced players overnight.

Last edited by KucheKlizma (2018-04-16 22:04:22)

#35 2018-04-16 22:21:08

TerraSleet

KucheKlizma wrote:

I think you need to lookup the definition of slang, as you obviously have zero comprehension of the English language.

There's no such thing as official definition for slang words, it's informal language. Arguing otherwise is just stupid, like this whole thread.

If you can't understand what I've clarified in comprehensible words I'm not sure what more to say to you. Arguing minor semantics is pointless like this whole diatribe.

I've been accustomed to griefing since Ultima Online, don't tell me what griefing is and isn't.

Yes "grief" is a slang word but in the overwhelming majority of cases it's used to describe behaviour of malicious intent. One person deliberately causing grief to another. At that point it is pretty well defined. Disagreeing with the majority doesn't make your definition correct. Ad hominem doesn't help your case either, nor does "I played Ultima Online".

KucheKlizma wrote:

Most games don't allow the option of wasting people's time unless it's deliberate, this one does. That's the core difference. Not in the proposed "definition" of a slang gaming term.

There are plenty of games that allow you to "waste" other people's time (as if video games aren't already a waste of time). Ultima Online comes to mind, as does most MMOs.

KucheKlizma wrote:

Furthermore teaching new players is impossible. Once you teach new player, said player ceases to be a new player and becomes an experienced player. New players will always be unexperienced new players and will continue to arrive for as long as the game attracts new audience. It's a moot point, as it's an impossibly large undertaking for a single player to convert all current and future new players into experienced players overnight.

Impossible? All it takes is a bit of typing explaining whatever it is they want to know. Nobody's asking anyone to teach the entire new population overnight by themselves, that's absurd. Just do your part to correct people's mistakes and quit assuming the worst of people all the time.

Last edited by TerraSleet (2018-04-16 22:21:24)

#36 2018-04-17 01:13:33

KucheKlizma

You are not the majority, neither is wikipedia or urban dictionary. The real majority don't know or care what "griefing" is, which is why it's not a legitimate word part of any official literary dictionary.

Words have a simple purpose of conveying meaning between people. I believe I've successfully conveyed the meaning, yet here you stand arguing petty semantics over slang words, because your whole point is devoid of meaning.
If  you would continue to fail to understand me, kindly let me know what further clarification you need - I would happily oblige, although I fear we may have reached the barrier of "this guys has a different opinion and i'm the best so he must be wrong".

And, again, it is, in fact, impossible to have a new player that is taught things, because that would be, by definition, an experienced player and not a new player anymore, as he would have in-game experience, albeit limited.
With that said it's safe to assume there will always be a steady proportion between new players and experienced players. Teaching people won't exactly change that in a major sense.

You cannot remove new players from existence, therefore you will always suffer for their mistakes. It's not necessarily a problem, it's just the nature of the game.
In most other games you don't suffer for new players mistakes as you can simply avoid them or even benefit off them - this game is different (not unique in that aspect), and it's strange that you fail to understand that, despite being so simple.
Not that this "suffering" is necessarily a bad thing, as removing all sources of misfortune would just render the game dull. But it might not be the best way to introduce difficulty - as being continuously punished for others mistakes doesn't feel great on a personal level and might drive people off.
I'm not blaming it on new players, it's just a game mechanic, but - again - simple minds will draw simple conclusions.

Your inability to understand simple facts is what leads you to continue trying to waste my time with pettiness, it's getting tiresome.

Last edited by KucheKlizma (2018-04-17 01:17:14)

#37 2018-04-17 09:25:42

TerraSleet

I find it hilarious that you're so up in arms over your "time being wasted" over "petty semantics" when your entire case is that griefing is how you define it and not how everyone else in this thread (including OP) defines it along with multiple majority sources. If that isn't petty semantics I don't know what is. Am I really wasting your time, or are you sitting here wasting your own time getting frustrated and insulting others on your pseudo-intellectual high horse because you don't like the words people are using?

I'm not even going to try persuading you anymore, you're clearly delusional and it gave me a good chuckle reading that last post because there's absolutely no reason in it whatsoever. We've definitely hit a barrier of "this guy thinks he's the best so everyone here is wrong."

I also want to point out the irony in this:

And, again, it is, in fact, impossible to have a new player that is taught things, because that would be, by definition, an experienced player and not a new player anymore

Last edited by TerraSleet (2018-04-17 09:28:04)

#38 2018-04-17 13:19:23

KucheKlizma

Lmao get over yourself, kid. You're really going to argue that you're not arguing semantics, by arguing more semantics. I guess that's just all you amount to.

Board footer