One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-13 01:25:00

Spoonwood

Yet Again... Not What Was Advertised

I checked on OneTech for information about this week's update: https://onetech.info/versions

The second video on Steam says "dozens of new craftable objects added every week" at about 2:22 into the video.

No, there were not dozens of new craftable objects added this week (dozens meaning at least 2 dozen, so 24 new craftable objects).

And such has happened other weeks also, even once getting acknowledged by the game designer: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 926#p46926

And this is by no means some isolated week, but rather one among many weeks where the advertisement did not get lived up to.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2020-03-13 01:30:24

Coconut Fruit

Re: Yet Again... Not What Was Advertised

Ask Jason for a refund if you feel cheated.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#3 2020-03-13 03:33:10

DestinyCall

Please just stop. You have already warned us of the danger.

Move on

#4 2020-03-13 03:54:24

MrGold

Stop complaining about this kind of stuff *I dont wanna use hard language because the kids are reading. You go on to far trying to start shitty arguments that have no purpose what's  even the point of this article tf Jason works every week trying to give us content and your acting like a bitch about it. oh I must get my content every week * but spoon wood we are always getting content and fixes.your just a actual troll I would never expect to call anyone that but YOU just cross the line. your just a waste of time please just stop with this nonsense. Jasus have mercy

I'm Mr.gold
A Unknown Nomad that /hmph
Also I been playing since 2018 and started my account in 2020 XD

Im Mr.Gold I /hmph

#5 2020-03-13 04:31:56

pein

he also promised us farts! it's unfair

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2020-03-13 04:39:32

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

Please just stop. You have already warned us of the danger.

Move on

Perhaps you would do better to look at this as an opportunity to start dealing with truth and as things are.

Danish Clinch.

#7 2020-03-13 04:44:41

Spoonwood

MrGold wrote:

Stop complaining about this kind of stuff *I dont wanna use hard language because the kids are reading.

Why?  So you don't have to look on the reality of how things are?

MrGold wrote:

You go on to far trying to start shitty arguments that have no purpose what's  even the point of this article tf Jason works every week trying to give us content and your acting like a bitch about it.

You act like someone who doesn't want truth to get recognized.

MrGold wrote:

oh I must get my content every week * but spoon wood we are always getting content and fixes.

Dozens of craftable objects is what's advertised.  You are NOT getting that every week.  And you haven't been getting that every week. 

MrGold wrote:

your just a actual troll I would never expect to call anyone that but YOU just cross the line.

By citing the video and what it advertises?  I've crossed the line, by refering to the lack of dozens of craftable objects every week as advertised?  More likely you just don't care about truth.

MrGold wrote:

your just a waste of time please just stop with this nonsense.

Trying to dismiss truth is nonsensical. 

Truth is not nonsense.

You certainly haven't pointed out a single place where I've spoken inaccurately in the original post, and I doubt that I have spoken inaccurately in the original post.

Have a realistic day.

Danish Clinch.

#8 2020-03-13 04:50:39

Spoonwood

pein wrote:

I guess you're joking.  It wasn't in the original post or in my previous comments.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-03-13 21:45:51)

Danish Clinch.

#9 2020-03-13 04:51:00

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

You're reaching. Obviously we need content but asking for 24 items a week is insane.

You're looking for anything to make a thread about and it's boring. Just go away already. This isn't an arguable point.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#10 2020-03-13 04:55:52

Dantox

I do agree that the current trailer we have on steam does not longer apply to OHOL anymore, mostly because a good portion of the promises do not really check out.

Would be nice to have a new trailer that isnt as misleading as the one we have now, though.

make bread, no war

#11 2020-03-13 04:56:16

Spoonwood

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

You're reaching. Obviously we need content but asking for 24 items a week is insane.

I don't see anything unhealthy about expecting what is advertised.  Or calling the advertisement bullshit when what gets advertised is not what gets delivered.

Have a realistic day Slinky.

Danish Clinch.

#12 2020-03-13 05:05:13

Grim_Arbiter

Petition to have jason change the word "dozens" to the word "oodles" is a go

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#13 2020-03-13 07:58:31

DestinyCall

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Cue Spoonwood making a post about how the word "oodles" refers to a plentiful amount of something and how the number of items added was not sufficient to be considered "plentiful" so the statement "oddles and oodles of items added each week" is not accurate.

#14 2020-03-13 08:45:43

Dodge

DestinyCall wrote:
Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Cue Spoonwood making a post about how the word "oodles" refers to a plentiful amount of something and how the number of items added was not sufficient to be considered "plentiful" so the statement "oddles and oodles of items added each week" is not accurate.

4.png

#15 2020-03-13 08:59:01

StrongForce

This update is awesome with so little cha ge Jason has changed the game feel so much.

Stop being a Karen spoon

Baby dance!!

#16 2020-03-13 14:20:05

GivePEASachance

pein wrote:

I have been wanting farts in this game, then the people around you /ill.  Eat a spicy pepper, sweat/hot emote, then fart a spicy fart.  I've thought way to much about this.

Gretta <-----

#17 2020-03-13 16:46:58

sigmen4020

pein wrote:

He also promised us hand gel this week. Jason is such a meanie mad

lMTOriK.png

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-03-13 16:47:08)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#18 2020-03-13 16:59:44

Spoonwood

sigmen4020 wrote:
pein wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/lMTOriK.png

I don't think that was an advertisement to the general public.

Danish Clinch.

#19 2020-03-13 17:03:19

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
sigmen4020 wrote:
pein wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/lMTOriK.png

I don't think that was an advertisement to the general public.

Surely Jason wouldn't have said something like that in jest.

#20 2020-03-13 17:12:09

testo

Farts are a special kind of human expression. If someone makes a github case it may even get some attention.
Here is some interesting data:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatulence General description

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321866 Some medical farts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fart_Proudly B. Franklin´s smelly Essay!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatulence_humor Some amazing old fart.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-a-far … 000-people This one Idk. Seems fart reached.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He-gassen Always Japan!

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#21 2020-03-13 17:48:47

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Today, there are 3422 TXT files in the objects folder.  These are object that I created by hand in the editor by pressing the SAVE NEW button.  One year ago, there were 2384 TXT files in the objects folder.

Over the past 365 days, I added 1038 new objects to the game.

During that time, I took 6 weeks of vacation or sick time or speaking trips or whatever.  I count 45 weekly updates in the past year.

That is 23 objects per week, on average, over the past year, which was not a year focused on content.  I failed to deliver, missing the promise by 1 object per week, or 45 objects total.

Let's roll back the full two years, though, when we only had 610 objects in the game.

Over the past two years, 2812 objects were added.

There were roughly 92 weekly updates over that period, for an average of 30 objects added each week, or more than 2 dozen.

The first year was a content-focused year, though, with 1774 objects added in that year.  There were roughly 47 updates that year, for an average of 37 per week, or more than 3 dozen.

I added the following note to the Steam page to clarify this:

Note (May 13, 2020): Over the past two years, the game has been updated 92 times, with a total of 2812 new objects added, for an average of 30 new objects per update. Some weeks, when I was focused on fixing other things, very few new objects were added. Dozens of new things are not added every single week, but dozens are added on average. The game is updated in a substantial way every single week, however---except, obviously, when I'm sick or on vacation. The trailer depicts a potential future for the game. There aren't robots in the game (yet), but there are loads of things that weren't shown in the trailer (radios, airplanes, rail carts, oil rigs, ice cream, etc.) At least 2812 things weren't shown in the trailer, in fact. For a game that's changing weekly, a trailer gives you only a general idea of what the game is like, and where it's headed. The current plan is to get up to robots in the game someday, but, like I say in the trailer, who knows where we'll end up? --Jason

Some people, apparently, take things very literally, and can't read between the lines, or understand basic implication.  When I say, "maybe someday" in the trailer, they don't know what that implies.

Some people, apparently, think that 30 objects EVERY WEEK for 92 weeks would be superior to 30 object average over that same time span.  Some people, apparently, don't see the importance of other non-content code changes and improvements, nor do they understand the need of a solo developer to focus on one thing at a time and not spread themselves too thin.

Some people need it spelled out for them, and would only understand the trailer if it said this:

DOZENS OF NEW
CRAFTABLE OBJECTS
ADDED EVERY WEEK
(on average, because I will sometimes spend a week coding)
(not during weeks when I'm sick or on vacation)
(not if I die or am subjected to a force majeure)

Some people cannot understand why doing that in the trailer would make it worse.  For 99% of people, they don't need it spelled out like that, so it doesn't make it LESS misleading for them, but all that extra verbal clutter makes it more confusing and harder to understand, and the core point is lost:  this game is updated a hell of a lot.

But for that very dense, very literal 1% of the population who is confounded by such details, I updated the Steam page, just to be sure that NOBODY is confused.

#22 2020-03-13 18:54:01

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

That is 23 objects per week, on average, over the past year, which was not a year focused on content.  I failed to deliver, missing the promise by 1 object per week, or 45 objects total.

The original post refers to 'craftable objects', not 'objects'.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Note (May 13, 2020)

Yeah, no.  That note didn't get made on that day.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Some people, apparently, take things very literally, and can't read between the lines, or understand basic implication.

Basic implication means that every proposition implies itself.  "dozens of new craftable objects added every week" implies "dozens of new craftable objects added every week".

jasonrohrer wrote:

Some people, apparently, don't see the importance of other non-content code changes and improvements, nor do they understand the need of a solo developer to focus on one thing at a time and not spread themselves too thin.

If so, none of that bears at all on the truth of whether or not 'dozens of new craftable objects added every week" holds.

jasonrohrer wrote:

DOZENS OF NEW
CRAFTABLE OBJECTS
ADDED EVERY WEEK
(on average, because I will sometimes spend a week coding)

The 'added every week' would contradict 'on average'.  Both cannot and do not hold simultaneously.  Every week is not an average of weeks, but refers to every single individual week.

And there have been plenty of individual weeks where dozens of new craftable objects were not added.

Danish Clinch.

#23 2020-03-13 19:26:18

Cantface

pein wrote:

Did he actually? I only remember talking about it with testo lol.

Spoonwood wrote:

I guess you're joking.  I wasn't in the original post or in my previous comments.

I can't remember when we talked about farts but we have definitely made the suggestion multiple times pfft.

GivePEASachance wrote:

I have been wanting farts in this game, then the people around you /ill.  Eat a spicy pepper, sweat/hot emote, then fart a spicy fart.  I've thought way to much about this.

We had the same idea bro! https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9007 <----------Me and testo talk about it here, glad I'm not the only one who thinks it'd be a fun addition to the game.

testo wrote:

Farts are a special kind of human expression. If someone makes a github case it may even get some attention.

I don't know how but I urge someone to try because purple dye and fart emotes are the two things I would love the game to have for sure. I know someone said farts are 'dumb' as a Brit I disagree. It would be awesome and I wanna hear Jason make loads of different fart sounds because it'd be funny. Probably therapeutic too.

Imagine the possibilities.

Last edited by Cantface (2020-03-13 20:03:32)

Breasticles

#24 2020-03-25 03:12:34

karltown_veteran

“dOzEnS MeANs aT lEaST twEnTy foUr iteMs a WeEK jAsON I aM aNGreH”
is the OHOL equivalent of “I wanna speak to your manager”
Spoonwood is the Karen of the forum - disliked by pretty much everyone, and so ridiculous it’s almost funny.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#25 2020-03-25 11:27:10

pein

yes Jason, you should make every week exactly 24 to keep spongewood happy!

75CuufP.png
I'm not sure where from I quoted but it was a real quote, I would never joke about farts, it's a serious topic.

https://www.onehouronelife.com/forums/v … hp?id=7417

Last edited by pein (2020-03-25 11:31:37)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer