One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-11 15:38:36

pein

A different take on on shelters: energy bar

Right now there is no reason to make shelters, buildings, the heat bonus is minimal and there is no reason to do activities inside

What about having an energy-based work system? each job you do would consume energy
To reload you would need beds

Since the game is still real-time, you can't really make sleeping a time-based activity, tho it could last for 10-20 seconds
Instead, it would be automatically charging beds, where they could refill only a certain amount of energy for the person who sleeps in it
Sure you could share a bed but it would not refill enough energy for everyone so ideally, you would want a bed for each person

A bedroom would consist of 4 walls, at least one door. Early game could be some options like a straw pile or a bear skin.
But making a shelter could increase the bonus to higher recharge rates.

The different beds could have different top caps and charging rates.

Straw pile: low recharge top cap 40%
Fur skin bed: high recharge, 20% top cap
Single bed: high recharge, low top cap 50%
Double bed: medium recharge, 100% cap

Hammock, better quality beds, maybe decoration items like flower pots, a small nightstand, alarm clock, teddy bear, nightgown, sleeping hat, etc

Early game you could use multiple "beds" to refill your energy
maybe some cooked foods could recharge you a bit
late game you would want to have higher-quality beds, there should be upgrades like wooden or metal base, mattresses filled with wool or sponge or cloth

these beds could be claimed for each person too, so you would need to keep up with the population or make every one by themselves, and could act as a home marker but also could help on keeping track of people

if a bed is a claim then others would see a name on it and wouldn't be able to use until the person is alive
if the person dies, the bed would show his/her name for a few minutes (maybe even leave behind an item like a necklace) so people know that somebody died
if people are out of range of the bed, it would undo the associating with it after 5 minutes, but there would be no item left behind so people would be lost or moved out
if you would build your sleeping barracks in a row you could keep track of the population
making enough beds and upgrading them constantly would be a job for the city or individuals and an essential part of the game

crafting anything would require some energy and would be a better limitation than tool slots
sharing beds could be a thing, then people would be mad if others use it without their consent so would encourage private space

The items stored inside those rooms could add bonuses
Sleeping time could be higher at first but adding an alarm clock would decrease it, maybe other stuff like tea (helps you fall asleep)
The sleeping clothes could increase the maximum amount of energy restored
The bed quality could increase the recharge rate

Rooms could add to these bonuses
The type of room would be based on fulfilling requirements:
Single room: ideal for young workers, has to be minimum 2x2 and a single bed
Family room: has to be minimum 4x4, can have multiple beds from same family
Honeymoon suit: double bed associated with a male and a female, bonus to fertility
Elder room: increases food bar size a bit
Nursery: babies could be associated to beds, minimum 5x5 in size, contains cribs and children beds
dunno what could be a reason to sleep for babies since they don't do crafting, maybe they could be trained to walk faster, they would learn it anyway by age 3 but they would be slower until they do enough walking distance
mothers could teach them walking by adding baby shoes on them but they would need to sleep to recharge their bar

some activities could be limited by the energy bar, maybe similar to foodbar, people would have age based energy bar so that would limit you from doing harder jobs
some activities like cutting trees or moving stone could deplete energy faster and in bigger steps

his could remove the need for tool slots and hungry work since the working could be more fragmented and tech advancement slower
but at least would make the shelter more important, wouldn't be a hard cap on working for veterans, they could technically do more work by  eat-sleep-rave-repeat so some time would be lost and would be a bit more annoying, it would cost more to work a lot and that cost would need to be covered by other work, and you would need upgrades to your bed and room

I think that some parts of the bed should not be reusable after people die, the frame would be okay but mattresses should be changed if the person associated dies (maybe if older than 20 or total 30 minutes used by other people) so inheriting fully upgraded rooms would be possible

other conditions could be implemented, maybe paying some upkeep so if people don't use them, they would give it up for others who want to use it, so for example currency could be used to take over a room
Generic single person rooms could be built if you claim a space within the city, it would mean that no other person can take or place items on it, so you would have to build your own walls and set up your room, but it would not need rent paid, versus shared properties, would need to be constantly claimed in order to occupy them
maybe room types could be time-limited, a honey suite could not be used by a single person or people who are too young or too old
a nursery could be only used until age 8 etc. so the associations would need to be done each time the people change their age

Ideally, people would need to keep up with the population boom, adding some shared rooms to host all the babies and kids, later on people would make their own homes and sell/give to others when they die. Private properties could be only given to adult people not babies.

When all people in town die, all rooms would convert to shared properties and the new occupants would still need to claim them and pay upkeep. Maybe an option to buy out which goes to family treasury.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2020-03-11 18:48:45

Jojigirl

Re: A different take on on shelters: energy bar

I'm confused? How is the heat from the building not rewarding? If a building is done correctly, it puts you at perfect temperature. Which makes your food bars/bonus decrease slower. Unless I'm missing something?

#3 2020-03-11 18:50:31

Spoonwood

pein wrote:

What about having an energy-based work system? each job you do would consume energy

I think you would enjoy your life more if you played something else, or studied some topic that you find interesting, and never played this thing again.  Here's the game designer from a while back:

jasonrohrer wrote:

The idea is to keep the number of core systems in the game extremely limited, and to build as much as possible using just those systems.

Right now, there are two core systems:

1.  Food

2.  Temperature.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 512#p46512

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2020-03-11 19:29:42

Elsayal

Spoonwood wrote:

I think you would enjoy your life more if you played something else, or studied some topic that you find interesting, and never played this thing again.

This could apply to you too. I mean ... 2k+ posts on this forum ?
I think you love this game so much that you begin to think it is your very own creation, as a player. I must confess that this happen to me, kind of, with some other game, and even with One hour one life.
But hell yeah : the freedom was added when rift was removed, and regarding the race limitations for instance, I can still play on other server, it's really easy to do so.

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#5 2020-03-11 19:31:14

Elsayal

Jojigirl wrote:

I'm confused? How is the heat from the building not rewarding? If a building is done correctly, it puts you at perfect temperature. Which makes your food bars/bonus decrease slower. Unless I'm missing something?

You are right. pein just said that the bonus was too weak in his point of view.

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#6 2020-03-11 19:46:31

Spoonwood

Elsayal wrote:

This could apply to you too. I mean ... 2k+ posts on this forum ?

You think I've been playing recently?  Where did you get that idea from?

Elsayal wrote:

I think you love this game ...

No, I don't love the game.  I think it promotes bad values, and I've said that elsewhere also.  I've also encouraged people to stop playing the game permanently, as you might infer from the title of one of my posts says, if you care to look.

Danish Clinch.

#7 2020-03-11 20:16:36

Elsayal

bad values ?
Where did you get that idea from ?

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#8 2020-03-11 20:40:10

sigmen4020

Elsayal wrote:

bad values ?

You're about to regret asking that.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#9 2020-03-11 20:47:37

Dodge

Spoonwood should be happy in the next update you will be able to actually control your fertility and not be "raped by the machine" lol

But i guess he will find something to say about it...

#10 2020-03-11 20:48:30

FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

It's useless to get into any sort of interaction with spoon.  He is part of a group named  'friends of protection for men'.  Then wants to compare this game's birthing mechanics to getting raped.  So he's clearly not a being capable of rational thought.

I'm fish, deal with it or don't, idgaf

#11 2020-03-11 20:52:01

Spoonwood

Elsayal wrote:

bad values ?

Humans in the future not having fathers.

Danish Clinch.

#12 2020-03-11 20:52:14

sigmen4020

Dodge wrote:

Spoonwood should be happy in the next update you will be able to actually control your fertility and not be "raped by the machine" lol

He isn't
EsEyPBt.png

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-03-11 20:53:53)

#13 2020-03-11 20:54:01

Dodge

sigmen4020 wrote:
Dodge wrote:

He isn't

https://i.imgur.com/EsEyPBt.png

what a surprise, i would have never guessed roll

#14 2020-03-11 20:56:07

Elsayal

Spoonwood wrote:
Elsayal wrote:

bad values ?

Ok but what you said doesn't make any sense to me. Can you be more specific about the relation between bad values and no more father ? I can't see it.

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#15 2020-03-11 20:57:23

Elsayal

FishRfriendsnotfood wrote:

It's useless to get into any sort of interaction with spoon.  He is part of a group named  'friends of protection for men'.  Then wants to compare this game's birthing mechanics to getting raped.  So he's clearly not a being capable of rational thought.

Ok but what is the relation between a game mechanic and real life ? I mean, who cares ? It's a game right ?

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#16 2020-03-11 21:05:39

FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

Elsayal wrote:
FishRfriendsnotfood wrote:

Ok but what is the relation between a game mechanic and real life ? I mean, who cares ? It's a game right ?

That's why I said he is not capable of rational thought.

#17 2020-03-11 21:12:30

pein

You spend way too much time to make a room and it's not needed in any activity whatsoever.
What is needed? tools, buckets, rubber, Newcomen. You can advance in tech without anything else. So it's mostly cosmetical.

If you think that making a room can take you to the middle, that's a joke.
The fire works the same way inside and outside, radiant heat works the same way.
By making a room and placing fire inside of it, you don't do anything, the bonus you get will be on top of the radiant heat so you just make the fire warmer which is already too hot and the tiles near it more tolerable, also a shitton of random values which won't benefit newbies if they don't know how it works, and if you do know how it works then you don't need the fire.

Actually the best setup is outside any room with 2 fire with 2 spacing between which creates 4 perfect tiles in horse jump move toward the other fire.

Inside the rooms the bonus is very minor, saving you just a tiny bit of food but the drawback is that you are blocked with the walls, so moving resources is harder, and processing them is like 20% of the job, all the game revolves around getting the resources, not processing them. That makes 80% of the static population useless. Babies get some bonus out of it but clothes worth more, standing in a place doing nothing won't create food while making food can feed multiple people, other than the fact that this will make the society consist of some working bees and others leeches, the optimal playing style is like cosplaying a cactus. Don't waste water and standing still near a fire. There is no pressure of survival on a personal level.

The optimal size for buildings is 1x5 or 5x1 where you get 1 single tile on perfect heat if you put the fire on one side and people stand on the other side of the room. Anything less than 50% value of the heat bar is a pointless value which cannot be considered a bonus. If you are ginger, then you can even put the fire on the ice biome and get better temperature than a room would ever give you.

Wow that quote spoon, yet another bullshitt Jason made up which translates to "I am lazy". Food and temperature. Food is food, there is no point going for anything else than the best value foods, the lowest water usage for the highest pip production. Also, there is not that big of a difference between naked in rooms or naked outside. Moving around at least can produce food which makes up for the extra pips lost and clothe yourself up.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#18 2020-03-11 21:41:00

Spoonwood

Elsayal wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
Elsayal wrote:

bad values ?

Ok but what you said doesn't make any sense to me. Can you be more specific about the relation between bad values and no more father ? I can't see it.

First off, last I knew, the game is claimed as more than a game by the game designer, since he's claimed it as a work of art.  So, you might want to keep that in mind.

No fathers means that men don't play a part in reproduction and become as lacking in value to society as they are in the game.  It also means that they don't have a way to have descendants, and don't have any real role in society beyond that of their utility.  It also means that they don't have family relationships in the form of father-child bonding.

On top of that, it's bad values, because it doesn't expect men or women to engage in trying to form consensual adult relationships of any sort.  Female characters don't have to play socially to have children also.

The game does not encourage respect or appreciaton of members of the opposite sex.  There is no appreciation of what makes men and women distinct from each other in this game, and the game design discourages people from thinking about such.

The game design also doesn't respect players, because it tries to force them into accepting whatever situation they end up in and penalizes other people if players born don't like playing in some situation (baby bones from /die), instead of trying to let players choose what situation they want to be in and then deal with it.

Also, I suggest that you consider this ... were dozens of new craftable objects added every week that you've played since you started playing?

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-03-11 21:42:19)

Danish Clinch.

#19 2020-03-11 22:11:03

sigmen4020

Spoonwood wrote:

The game design also doesn't respect players, because it tries to force them into accepting whatever situation they end up in and penalizes other people if players born don't like playing in some situation (baby bones from /die), instead of trying to let players choose what situation they want to be in and then deal with it.

/dying only really punishes yourself nowadays. You don't lose meme score from other players SIDing, resets your birth cooldown, and baby bones decay in 2 mins, so they're pretty much a non-issue. Runners on the other hand are a different story.

#20 2020-03-11 22:18:24

Spoonwood

sigmen4020 wrote:

You don't lose meme score from other players SIDing, resets your birth cooldown, and baby bones decay in 2 mins, so they're pretty much a non-issue.

If it were a non-issue, then every player would be fine holding the baby bones for 2 minutes until they decay.  I doubt every player feels that such is good or right.

Do you not do anything with the baby bones?  Why do you ignore that YOU have to do something with the baby bones and dismiss such as a non-issue?  Do you like having to move such baby bones around or hold them for 2 minutes?

Danish Clinch.

#21 2020-03-11 22:20:27

Elsayal

Let's say that 10 000 ppl change their mind because of this game. Even there, it doesn't matter. It's still a water drop in the ocean. So I don't understand your crusade. I mean : I'm not agree with it, as far as I understand it.

But still : it doesn't matter, you're wasting your time. But do whatever you like with it, even if you are stuck with this absurd crusade, it's still a way to exist in the virtuality of internet.

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#22 2020-03-11 22:22:28

sigmen4020

Spoonwood wrote:
sigmen4020 wrote:

You don't lose meme score from other players SIDing, resets your birth cooldown, and baby bones decay in 2 mins, so they're pretty much a non-issue.

If it were a non-issue, then every player would be fine holding the baby bones for 2 minutes until they decay.  I doubt every player feels that such is good or right.

Do you not do anything with the baby bones?  Why do you ignore that YOU have to do something with the baby bones and dismiss such as a non-issue?  Do you like having to move such baby bones around or hold them for 2 minutes?

I put them somewhere out of the way and then they disappear in 2 mins like they never existed, but I guess 2 mins is not good enough if they could evaporate instantly right?

Also would like to see you provide an example of someone seriously complaining about bones sticking around for 2 whole minutes, because I haven't seen any other than you right now.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-03-11 22:23:30)

#23 2020-03-11 22:30:59

FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

In a game where you can only hold one item in your hands, spoon is using the logic that if one didn't have a moral issue with baby bones, they would simply hold them for 2 minutes. 

Ha, this is hilarious! Not one single person held SIDS baby and was like, shucks this is a moral dilemma.

#24 2020-03-11 22:38:34

cachinnus

I mean.. I hold them sometimes. They're so floppy!

#25 2020-03-11 22:39:21

Spoonwood

sigmen4020 wrote:

I put them somewhere out of the way and then they disappear in 2 mins like they never existed, but I guess 2 mins is not good enough if they could evaporate instantly right?

No.  Large numbers of them have come about that way, or remained that way because the game designer's refusal to have meaningful choices for players before they play.   Because he wants them to have them start in a dependent state, and doesn't want players to start with some form of control.  His dislike of players having meaningful control is further confirmed by players almost always starting in a helpless condition, tool based restrictions, the rift, lack of meaningful choices with respect to different types of environments (the temperature overhaul), him changing things because he doesn't like how players have been playing, and hair-based/race restrictions.  And that's by no means an exhaustive list of how design choices show an antipathy for players having meaningful control.

Remember, he almost did a choice screen a while back, but did not do so.  Because the game designer would rather have players endure through /die than players having more control with respect to how they start.

sigmen4020 wrote:

Also would like to see you provide an example of someone seriously complaining about bones sticking around for 2 whole minutes, because I haven't seen any other than you right now.

Again, the problem isn't only the bones.  I said up top:

Spoonwood wrote:

penalizes other people if players born don't like playing in some situation (baby bones from /die)

The baby bones is just one example.  It's not the only penalization.

As JonySky said a while back:

JonySky wrote:

Third frustration is that your children decide to commit suicide or starve to death

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 832#p80832

Danish Clinch.

Board footer