One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-10 11:14:07

cachinnus

your town planning ideas

I know there have been threads similar to this and I've done some searching looking for images people have already posted but.. okay I'm just being a lazy forum user. I'm hoping to scratch a mental itch I've been having.

Most of the towns I've played in seem to form out of necessity. I get it. Later on, though, it becomes a bit difficult to change things without upsetting other players and the sprawl can get unpleasant. Regardless, all of them have the same sort of vibe to me. I've never seen a town and loved to play there because of how it was built or how it looked. Sure, the occasional snow hut or random home in the wilderness is fun, but on a bigger scale?

I'd really just enjoy seeing and hearing how people imagine their dream town. What about the typical town set up is great? What would you change immediately? What do you try to build that never turns out? What have you built that was a success? Have you built your perfect town on another server?

Basically.. does anyone have any town plans - images or just thoughts - they'd like to share?

#2 2020-03-10 12:47:32

Wuatduhf

Re: your town planning ideas

Town planning varies in general. Depending on how 'early' you have access to the location, plus the supplies needed to terraform it to 'your' preferences, there's not a lot of difficulty in making a town adopt features that you'd want it to have.

Over the course of a month some time ago, I spent lives focused entirely around abandoning the family and Nomad'ing out into the wild, using the Belltowers as coordinates to building brand new towns, and laying the foundation before players had a chance to 'tamper' with the construction process. I learned a lot from it and figured out some good practices in general for town layout.

My take-aways/thoughts:

• Farm planning, farm planning, farm planning. Ensure the plots are designed in a "good shape", or else you'll suffer long-term overgrowth and untamed farming tiles that'll expand after each generation.

My preferred pattern for Pine flooring + Crop tiles is as follows:

XXX       XXX
    XXXXXXXXX
    XXX___ XXX
      X_____ X 
      X_____ X 
    XXX___ XXX
    XXXXXXXXX
    XXX       XXX

Setup farm plots that are 5-wide and 4-tall space, with the corners replaced with Pine floor. All X's are the Pine/Wood Flooring, with the centers of each 3x3 being either the Town Well or a spot for Cistern.

This gives optimal spacing for players to have room to work around the crop fields, while remaining an easy, modular pattern that any layman could repeat for near-endless numbers of rows.

The difficulty is the initial setup; very few people care to do these patterns because it requires thought, and will only perpetuate it if it already exists in a clear fashion.

• Bakery vs. Farms vs. Sheeps. A town is only going to be good so far as it has a solid location of the 'holy trinity' of farming and baking and sheeping. I haven't seen how much the rails change has alleviated the necessity between Sheeps+Farms and Bakeries, though, but I would hope a significant amount.

• East and West-side Wall Slot Boxes. When building the bakery, take advantage of Plaster'ing and Slot Box'ing the left and right sides of the bakery before the rest of the building is finished. Plastered walls do not auto-orient, therefore allowing you to give the bakery a 50% boost in the number of slot boxes it has for food storage purposes. This is especially useful when the Hot Oven is neighboring one/more of these Slot Boxes, allowing for rapid baking.

• Always make sure that, even without a building/walls, the Smithing area has an 7-wide by 6-tall space to work that overlaps with nothing else in the town. Set aside another 4-wide by 6-tall space for where the eventual Freestanding Newcomen will be built.

• Make sure the fire is in a good place. Villages/Towns always have 1 fire source that perpetuates through all lives. Its location is typically established outside or in a nursery. It HAS to be within 4-5 second walking distance of both the Bakery and the Smithy, or else they will deteriorate in use/efficiency, and the wood stockpile will get divided.

• Most towns fail to properly set aside space for a road to be put in town to connect to other parts of the town/farm or for leaving the town to an important resource area. If you get to make a new town, keep space for an eventual road in mind.

#3 2020-03-10 16:17:44

Morti

cachinnus wrote:

What have you built that was a success?

Everything.

#4 2020-03-10 20:11:02

cachinnus

Thanks Wuatduhf!

Questions for you/anyone:

Say it's a carrot bed, do you place slot boxes on the sides, corners, or crop area?

I've never seen a bakery built like this, if I'm imagining it correctly. Does it change room status? … Does room status matter? Also, how do you feel about the separation of bakery and eating area?

Morti wrote:
cachinnus wrote:

What have you built that was a success?

Everything.

yikes

#5 2020-03-10 21:00:10

Legs

The bakery is a work space with a lot of traffic, so organization is very important to prevent clutter. That means lots of storage and items that are clearly separated into categories so anyone can see oh, pies go here. Raw pies go here. This slot box is full of mutton. These tables hold plates and bowls of food. Baskets, bowls and plates are neatly stacked. The same way that boxes in the nursery hold clothing. Babies are born, carried over and clothed. They immediately learn: this is where clothes go.

Slot boxes in the center of a 3-wide carrot patch are an interesting idea. The plots on either side would neatly fill the slot box in the center. Carrots can produce a lot of clutter though, people often get carried away growing too many and a lot end up going to seed too. So I like having a slot box on either side, because realistically people would just end up loading bowls with carrot seeds or stacking carrots on the floor to the side anyway.

One thing I'd like to see more of in large farms: tables. Seed bowls add up fast and they end up producing a lot of clutter so it would be nice to have clear, dedicated storage space for them. Boxes would be more efficient but I'd worry about people turning them into slot boxes which defeats the purpose. Although I guess you could always go back and fix it later. These large storage containers on farms would also be a good way to store spare buckets and bowls in a stack, or to keep a supply of dung next to the composting station.

Does anyone have any good solutions when it comes to transporting wheat to the bakery? A lot of people thresh it right there on the farm but all the piles of wheat end up being clutter. It would be nice if we could have a rail to transport them but that would take up a lot of valuable space on the farm and end up defeating the purpose. Is using a cart to haul stuff around really the move here?

Loco Motion

#6 2020-03-10 21:30:34

Grim_Arbiter

Always build a shrine.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#7 2020-03-11 01:19:08

DestinyCall

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Always build a shrine.

Yum shrines are the best shrine.

#8 2020-03-11 01:36:21

pein

cachinnus wrote:

I know there have been threads similar to this and I've done some searching looking for images people have already posted but.. okay I'm just being a lazy forum user. I'm hoping to scratch a mental itch I've been having.

Most of the towns I've played in seem to form out of necessity. I get it. Later on, though, it becomes a bit difficult to change things without upsetting other players and the sprawl can get unpleasant. Regardless, all of them have the same sort of vibe to me. I've never seen a town and loved to play there because of how it was built or how it looked. Sure, the occasional snow hut or random home in the wilderness is fun, but on a bigger scale?

I'd really just enjoy seeing and hearing how people imagine their dream town. What about the typical town set up is great? What would you change immediately? What do you try to build that never turns out? What have you built that was a success? Have you built your perfect town on another server?

Basically.. does anyone have any town plans - images or just thoughts - they'd like to share?

in the early days there were some dumb setups, generally annoyed me that people built kilns near trees, walls and ovens too close to kilns

then some people converted the ovens or made a new kiln somewhere and it was a lot of crappy places where you just quit cause it was harder to be fixed than starting over, especially that we had a lot more Eve runs and lot more players

my first design was intentionally making 2 kilns 1 space between them, that one i was doing for a month and then finally stuck and everybody doing it even now

the other thing was the sheep pens. it was kinda the highest tech and hardest to accomplish in a single life, took me like 5 lives in the same place until i got sheep into a pen i made and it was tiny and someone even made wells inside it for symmetry so ended up being a 3x3 with 2 blocked slots, then we tried fences and was always too much work for nothing
some long lines at the start really lasted long, others just died out way too fast
swamp towns were op at the start of the game, lot of dumb setups without any water and people expected others to go 50 tiles with a bowl

we had a discussion on forums that we got these blocking elements, like pits at that time
so i made pit pens and adobe base pens, since compost was requiring dung, it was way too slow doing with fences
so it was fast to make a pit pen, looked ugly but it worked fine
wasn't the first to make adobe base pens but certainly ade quite a lot of them until both styles were common
it's still the longest dumb meta thing we had until it was nerfed, still, people refused to use fences, rather adobe kiln base, bell bases, etc.
i had fun making grave pens, where the graves were the wall, it was nerfed later that the marked graves were easier to remove
its still very functional because holds items and on big population graves were kind of the cheapest resource, lot of people die and you could put flat rocks on it from gathering the desert, that one didnt really stick cause people were butthurt about using graves that way

before i had zoom mode, for like 400 hours i played vanilla and did a lot of strategically placed horse fences and cisterns, my towns were always the longest surviving ones cause of that

back before the berry buffs we really had no berry bushes with an hour growing time they were like tree farms now
luxury and wasteful, so everyone just ate carrots, so those towns were fun when you had both stone walls and bushes

generally, I hate the farm setups, 3x3x4 bush setup turns into 3x3x6 or 3x3x8, I hate the position of it, cause it breaks the flow, like you use  a well with a bowl for 30 times maybe 50, there is not a single reason why it should be in the middle of farms
later even more annoying when it becomes a newcommen
my favourite farm setups are 2x5 and 2x5 away from the well, full floored around, 20 bushes are more than enough and its way easier to be picked down sideways, 95% of the playerbase cant soil and water the bushes faster than they grow back, only idiots cry about not having enough food while some bushes are empty, and generally they do that when veterans compost fast

i always made floors around farms, to stop the overplanting, now is way easier with pine, but was possible with boards too
every time people dont do it, end up with a monstrosity farm with only berries and no free spaces, i really hate those

i was bored so i dug up bushes, made floors in middle and rearranged the whole setup, because people planted 7x7 i was kinda forcing 3x3 but mostly led the road above the well, not across it, i really dont know why is good to lead roads between wells instead of 1 tile near, but i seriously hate seeing it every single town. its far from perfect, 9th bush on middle is hard to pick down, is way too many bushes. some people just cant get any creativity, same with the  "kiln should be 3 tile above berry" was a dumb setup for so long.
Funny seeing people dig out bushes 1 year after i started doing it, they understood the importance of limiting farms.

I kinda liked the perfect jungle heat with mosquitoes, often made nicely designed bushes, floors, cisterns, blocking off mosquitoes with walls, bell bases, like San-cal was our project first time.

I really enjoyed making a few sugar cane pens a the start when sugar was introduced. Also, i made a lot of huge full adobe pens with different entrances, always tried to change up the design a bit. And of course, my 8 pillar cow pens were a signature setup i did a lot of times.

The perfect town doesn't exist, if you go for perfect then you will make generic towns regardless of the situation, the true perfect towns are the ones where buildings adapt to surrounding biomes. You can have elements re-used for optimal use but generic is boring so dont overuse full setups.

I liked my little fortress design, did it a few times in the 8 day rift and before that, generally turned out to be great, compact, defendable, was a reason to make it with that much hostility.

What never turns out is farm setups, if you waste time and tools on that then your town wont survive, if you dont, some dumbass just makes a generic setup or overplants everything.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2020-03-11 02:15:29

TheRubyCart

A Town of jungle and snow, where all can live, there are two sectors, jungle and ice, all races can live in thse places, cause floors allow them in building, the two sectors can trade food, implementing trade, and if you add a desert sector maybe, you could have three sectors with unique landscapes and abilitys, boom! TRADE IMPLEMENTED AND A FUN IDEA TO THINK OF!

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#10 2020-03-11 11:13:05

cachinnus

This is awesome!

Legs: I guess I always look at the bakery and smith as places we should try to reduce traffic. Lots of storage on the outer walls, or boxes outside with commonly sought items (hoes, pies, drop off areas for flour/iron/kindling)? Sort of like how everyone already puts stew outside the bakery. It's the food area, but you don't need to have it in the building. ?

Do you like the idea of farming sheds nearby with places to store things? Or is it too inconvenient/wasteful? I liked that area someone made in the middle of Punkytown's farms that turned into storage and compost.

Wheat is almost a job on its own. Cut, thresh, wheat to bakery, straw to compost, plant again before someone puts carrots there. … I would actually enjoy this job. sad Y'all know where to find me.

Grim/Destiny: I built a shrine once. It even had a cult/religion. I thought it would be useful to give them tasks. A bunch of my kids and grandkids died. Failure or success?

pein: So much stuff I missed!

i had fun making grave pens, where the graves were the wall, it was nerfed later that the marked graves were easier to remove
its still very functional because holds items and on big population graves were kind of the cheapest resource, lot of people die and you could put flat rocks on it from gathering the desert, that one didnt really stick cause people were butthurt about using graves that way

lol

When I say perfect town, I just mean perfect from your point of view. Your berry setup would make your perfect town, that someone else might hate. It would be great to see, though, different planting ideas in action.

Do you have any doodles or screenshots of some of your builds?

TheRubyCart: That sounds like fun! Do bananas ever grow back? I wish fruit trees were more common.

#11 2020-03-11 12:17:17

pein

Yqq1clV.jpg

this was a town long ago, it's way ahead of it's time and lot of work went into it, was like 4k away from anything else, people still went back

mrqqd5C.png
this is my cow pen, I'm the old  lady, took me 2 lives at first
the bison was biome locked and you could raise new cows for piss

E5cNbLj.png
this was one of the first diagonal entrance pens I made, the price is same as a normal but loses 1 row or column so basically this is 3x4=12 tiles free

zU7gK0g.png
this is a sheep pen with bakery under

s6kvqd0.png
this was a berry field design when jungles were perfect temperature, lasted quite long, people stole most of the water I collected, most of the soil I made

2SLtgs4.png
there were some maps with huge swamps near big jungles, this was a pen I made alone in a life

Ah9bsw1.png
a blueprint for a sheep or cow pen where it can move freely inside but won't get out

azGj07V.png
this was the dumbest experiment on s13 I farmed berries for like 3 hours, the plan was to stop sheep with 5 rows of berries each side
they still got out somehow, but later on was fixed so the central area worked as a pen

CeWhy6l.png
this is one of the first sugar cane pens

Jq0lUMq.png
later extended a bit to allow fast cooking

4tzf6kN.png
bigger diagonal entrance pen

zM9M32N.png
a ggrave pen

I guess I got more photos in my upload tool history and some more blueprints in my older topics

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2020-03-11 14:47:23

cachinnus

Oh man. Thanks so much, pein. I kind of like the look of the adobe wall pens, plus the storage, the storage! The cow pen looks like a cow temple. Blessed milk.

Did you like having walled cities? They look nice, and I get that they had purpose back then, but were they a hindrance to gameplay or no? Did you notice it help in any way other than keeping strangers out?

#13 2020-03-11 16:17:14

pein

There was a life in the rift when I was part of a family, a male, I was the previous eve of that family and came back as a son to them. Since it was no distance limit on wells, you could make a new one 40 miles away. People hoarded a lot of stuff from another city I made in NE corner, and that town was messed up by griefers and idiots. But this town was also decaying and unorganized so I made a small fortress 40 tiles away and moved some essential tools there.

yTQCiE3.png
I was over 40 and raiders massacred my whole family with swords, they didn't bother to kill a male who showed resistance so they let me live.
I found a black Eve soon after and told her to follow, she had like 5 kids in very fast order.
Since swords were dumb op, you couldn't live without walls, some idiot feral eves always massacred everyone but also it was dumb to build them because you would need them very early but making tools, bowls, the farm would mean that they obstructed you from collecting wild food and took time off from doing the real jobs.

ZZlBDyy.png
next day I spawned back, it was close to 2 oil spots and iron vein location so it was the only viable place on the map in the 8-day rift. I made a small box with the essentials to sustain composting and food production, I would say it should be wider to host a nursery and enough storage for a bigger family.
I don't like the fact that graveyards are so huge and take up that much space, now even worse since moving them outside a wall takes a lot of time. but since I did 1-2 hours of solo town building, the results were better overall, as you see I didn't finish the full farm roads, so they overextended it, babies were too close to the kiln and rabbits were blocking also, the storage and the kilns should have been changed around.
Overall was better than most cities which grow organically, but wasn't perfect when the population was above 30 people. I mean, it was the single place on the map that had any long term survival chances so that was expectable. NE city was revived for a few times after this but I took my hands off it when people started to cut the surrounding green trees and messed up the city setup, and since we were fixing things while females popping dumb kids, was so messed up, the nursery was right next to kilns and people walked in front of it to get into the kitchen or the pen, it had too many bushes, the only good thing was my tree farms and the planted rubber, some iron vein south and an oil spot but when that ran out the map was cleared 200x200 from any usable resource.

I think the walls aren't bad if the place is big enough. Forcing people to stay inside is bad, or having to worry about raiders, it was kind of dumb to force us making them. Since families had no advantage and most strangers were trouble makers, it was bad to mix up with others but there are 2 kinds of people: who can set their feelings aside and think logically and those who uck around based on their stupid ideals. They would curse or kill you over the strangers, having a wall meant that your ancestors had a problem with invaders, so it was like spitting on their grave to let others in.
Also generally a fresh Eve had more female kids than long lines, so around 40 minutes after you let a family inside, their 3rd generation took over and killed your family.

Walls are annoying when you can't get out or need to go out on a different side and go all around. When is well spaced out and organized like that, I don't mind having stone walls. Reminds me of endless adobe walls from the beginning of the game, every town had a wall like that without any particular reason.

I guess the look, the tradition, showing that people who lived here cared and were skilled enough, keeps the people returning and staying there. So it's good for the moral and that shouldn't be overlooked.
Back when we had more Eves and people suiciding to become Eve or get to decent towns, it was a very important factor to keep your family alive, is your city pretty and organized?

It would make sense if we would have a tower defence style game where the animals or Ai controlled barbarians attack. Maybe with auto walls, buying territories and sectors, where opposing families need to challenge your city to war, make some siege.
But Jason keeps things messed up, hard to get out, easy to enter and steal stuff, most of his updates don't prevent bad intentions so it even encourages that kind of behaviour where people stab you in the back, he even removed any skill from duels and working.

#14 2020-03-11 22:57:57

cachinnus

So interesting to see what things have changed and what hasn't. I can see how walls would be annoying. They do add something aesthetically, though. Were towns ever built with only specific areas walled off and the rest left out? I remember being in a town that had family fences and no one (at the moment) abused or objected to them. But there wasn't much inside, a little room with some pads, extra clothes, and a pie or two. Maybe it was a fever dream.

I feel so weird about being in a town when I see someone bring in a bunch of pilfered things. How do you know no one was using them? I've been on the other side where I make a little house and return to find all the work I did is gone. It's disappointing.

It would be cool if you could build some sort of catacomb that piled bones on top of each other. Maybe it would even record names of the bones placed in it. I agree they get a little out of hand, even though I kind of like burying people and all.

#15 2020-03-12 00:15:13

pein

yeah, personally I didn't use it much, this setup I did a few times, before the rift we had eves attacking but wasn't really a big issue most often, this setup is mostly self-sustaining so it doesn't need to be filled over and over from the outside, while most people had to import tools, soil and water all the time so is mostly hoarders

there were some people farming milkweed inside fences or even bucket shops
but that's just rare examples of work done inside and never really hold for many generations
and when gates were needing rope it was a bad investment

so mostly rôleplayers used it and eventually it had so much hate received that people suicided out of any of those towns
once people were so lazy upgrading a well and making extra bucket that they tried to kill me for overtaking the northern well and kept destroying my fences, I offered to share it by including the well in the wall but when idiots go mad, they won't listen to reason so had to deal with her, idiots healed her and I was killed, quite common when you argue with noobfucks

generally was bad cause people didn't know where their town is regarding others on the spiral, often I was angry that the town had fences and wasted iron on the swords when the town was 3500 away from the middle
and some people left the gates open so it was just a hindrance, especially when you had only one exit for a 40x40 town and dumbest people had the access, in the rift was necessary to wall up the town but then also you couldn't get back to towns you made
the change on gates and gate access was better but fences still don't have a function, it's used for sheep pen but since it's decaying, is just a lazy option, and people learned to make them so they go overboard with them, it's hard to remove and it's ugly

yes, I also hate that people steal so much stuff, it was a white family near the bell towns, they hoarded all the horses and so much more, I was knowing the whole area and wondered who stole from my town, I went back several times to that town to make the oil and the bell base and every time they ruined something

eventually, they removed a part of a road I made to the other new bell town and used it for a road the other way, it was disappointing that people used the information I gave about the map, to make 2000 tile distance waystones back to the griefed and ugly old bell town and they hoarded all the horses and buckets, the steel they found.

Most of the people who die are not contributing to the town, give up, there are some who deserve to be buried, but those don't really care about that, the only ones who care are begging for 40 minutes to be buried. it occupies a lot of space and they make graveyards way too close to the city, also those blocks of graves are inaccessible anyway

once I made a grave pen and people asked to be buried as a wall piece, that was a fun tradition

#16 2020-03-12 00:47:46

Gogo
Banned

Put some stone floors at the farm, to be able put down adzes. Make some extra floors, like main road in a farm (3 tiles next to each other), sometimes there's too many stuff on ground so we can't put things away.

#17 2020-03-12 10:43:48

cachinnus

pein wrote:

Most of the people who die are not contributing to the town, give up, there are some who deserve to be buried, but those don't really care about that, the only ones who care are begging for 40 minutes to be buried. it occupies a lot of space and they make graveyards way too close to the city, also those blocks of graves are inaccessible anyway

once I made a grave pen and people asked to be buried as a wall piece, that was a fun tradition

Well.. I'm not that generous. Usually I just bury them without a stone because of the clutter, but every now and then. I'm really enjoying this idea of useful graves, even though I know they're easy to remove now. I'll be part of your bear blocker if you'll be part of my mosquito wall.

Gogo wrote:

Put some stone floors at the farm, to be able put down adzes.

Love it. Wish they were less tool intensive, but hasn't stopped me before. There's definitely a line between space and wasted space that I haven't figured out yet. The current bell town has the kitchen and fire so close to the farm that it can be annoying. I was in a town the other day where someone built it way too far, though, and the extra run was more annoying. I like the idea of at least three tiles separating any building or workspace, and one main farm road.

#18 2020-03-12 15:35:58

Gogo
Banned

Um... it's also nice to have a table next to well (diesel well) - you can store maps to tarry spots and oil pumps, also tanks with kero. Tables are better than boxes for that, because stuff on tables are more visible than in a box.

I made an oil pump and a map to it, map should be next to well (in bell town) and oil pump is north-west from town (there's a black-brown village just before the pump).

Last edited by Gogo (2020-03-12 15:39:05)

#19 2020-03-16 16:48:38

MrsDuckGirl

To me, the well should be the center of the town and not the center of the farms, because everybody needs it. Also, leave room around it, to build boxes (for tanks), to have room to drop stuff (oil, buckets...).
I personally always build north-south and east-west roads leading to it, because you'll need to run to the well more than you imagine, then I build the town around.

Here are some examples (those have been built on low-pop servers but that's nothing you can't do on BS2) :
IaIdSX1.jpg
16Ha2f0.jpg
(sorry for the blank parts, the well is in the middle under the blank spot)
I didn't plant any berry bush in this town, I had a lot of wild ones north (in the blank spot) ans some more a bit everywhere. I removed the less I could of wild ressources and built around (for the aesthetic and because I'm lazy). My farms are also 3x3 but in diagonal, so the boxes won't stop you from walking.
Don't leave food in the kitchen, put it outside. Build some yummy spots a bit everywhere around the town.

I like this kitchen configuration :
qQ3RY8Q.png
because you can stand behind the oven and cook pies from the three boxes without moving. I never put anything that blocks walking in front of it (because I hate blocking things and the automatic path that can be dumb), I keep room for things that can't go into boxes (bread, pumpink pies...).

For the forges
RbvGHYt.png
I like Pein's configuration : one tile between both kilns (faster to light them, to make charcoal). Some like two tiles between forges and newcomen, I prefer one tile (faster). Although, I should have left two tiles instead of one between kilns and back wall, I sometimes got stuck to drop something in a hurry.

For the sheep pen (sorry for the line in the screenshot)
5W2M9Wi.png
I like it when you can enter from any side (again, I hate block-walking things). Hard to see but there's also an entrance behind the loom. On BS2, you shouldn't leave a tree because someone may cut it, or people don't see what's behind (I play with transparent trees so it didn't bother me).

And now, some building ideas (because you're not obliged to make square rooms !)
uIAFBiJ.png
QMEfmKn.png
iHvCwD7.png
Nox76RP.png
sUwR2Er.png
oaX6m7W.png
i3Zuth3.png
Due to the sucky auto-oriented walls, it's a bit more tedious to get corner shapes. Just use propriety fences (no need to hit them, just need to place them near your wall). Plaster your walls before removing them or they'll turn back to straight walls.

And don't forget to make sucky puns !
zslOxu3.png

#20 2020-03-16 19:47:13

Gogo
Banned

@MrsDuckGirl your examples are most optimal, nice! But square rooms are better, because stuff on ground aren't visible behind corner walls.

For blacksmith - I like it to be half open (without walls), easier to operate IMO, there's always space for more charcoal. Also I like tools on tables in order (froe's with froe's etc.), because I've got problem with perception and sometimes I'm making new tools, even if there are some in the boxes on walls, or somewhere.

#21 2020-03-16 20:38:14

cachinnus

Those are gorgeous buildings, MrsDuckGirl.

I didn't plant any berry bush in this town, I had a lot of wild ones north (in the blank spot) ans some more a bit everywhere. I removed the less I could of wild ressources and built around (for the aesthetic and because I'm lazy).

I cry. I wish this was a common thought, laziness or not.

My own doodles - yes, I doodle town layouts, don't judge me - also place the well a bit more central rather than farm centric. The only town I've played like this was the recent Gold town. I enjoyed it. What is lacking in diagonal farms? Does spacing become an issue?

#22 2020-03-17 10:35:43

MrsDuckGirl

This is what annoys me :
FktKBMF.png
The automatic path will make you zigzag between boxes, instead of going straight down, straight left then straight up, while the diagonal boxes
MNo1XXq.png
still makes you zigzag but much less, so you save time. It looks like it's nothing, but imagine this pattern of boxes-farms is repeated several times in a row, your character is gonna zigzag between all of them (and this really annoys me).
Spacing isn't an issue as I left two tiles between each farm plot. That's also something you should do on BS, leave a gap of two tiles between farms so you never lack room to drop things and you disturb less the other farmers.

In my previous post, I said "nothing you can't do on BS2" tho now the diesel engine produces only four buckets of water (three actually as you'll need one to make oil), painted walls are probably not a thing to do anymore. For instance, the drugstore I made (red and white building) is 24 plaster walls (so 24 bowls of water) plus 16 painted walls (so 32 bowls of water for salked lime, plus 8 corns (2 bowls of water) plus 8 bowls of water to the cow (for extra bucket of milk)) what is 66 bowls of water in total. So... bon courage !

And for the smith area, I agree with you Gogo. On BS2 it's more convenient to have it in an open area, preferably a huge one, and leave tools on the ground because you're not the only one who has problem with perception ! smile

Board footer