One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-03-05 13:03:41

Dodge

Re: How about making one week without tool slots and race restrictions?

Morti wrote:
Dodge wrote:

What are you talking about...

I'm the one asking the questions here, Dodge... ?

4.png

#27 2020-03-05 13:45:32

Elsayal

When rift was implemented I left the game, until I found my freedom back, some updates ago.

Regarding the races aspect, I think it's, at least, interesting, even if it's not completely polished. This game mechanics encourage single town town with all races instead of villages with roads, but well, maybe at some point we could achieve this (or another close) goal.

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#28 2020-03-05 20:01:27

Whatever

@dodge i just saw an interesting github issue you made: https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeData7/issues/652

Dodge wrote:

The letter system is nice, interesting to make etc.

But to make the letters to write something as simple as "BAKERY" or "TAILOR SHOP" takes a whole life (or even several), with signs you know right away what is what dont need to pick up a note but currently it's underused due to this issue.

The problem is not making the letters themselves, the issue is needing xx ammount of skewers and the whole process of getting them.

Could one skewer/weak skewer give a pile of letter stocks?

Why do you want to make it easier to make signs?
Why dont you ask people to help you make signs? It would go much faster if you ask people

Dodge wrote:

"whatever i can just do everything lol"

#29 2020-03-05 20:02:50

Whatever

Morti wrote:
Whatever wrote:

People dont play games to experience real life, its the opposite

They, play, real life, to experience, games?

yes

#30 2020-03-05 20:20:52

DestinyCall

Making a sign is a bit of a catch-22. 

If I care about something enough to go to the immense effort of farming or gathering loads of skewers and milkweed to make a sign to mark it for future generations, I probably devoted most of my life to working in that area or on that job.  But if I devoted that much of my life to building/organizing/working as a baker/tailor/carpenter/whatever, I probably don't have time to make a sign so future generations will know how to keep the pie boxes properly organized.

It is sort of similar to the feeling I have on planting trees.   By the time I realize we could really use a tree farm, I am too old for tree planting.   Asking kids to water the trees is 50/50  shot at best.   Those trees are probably toast, if I plant them late in life.

A half finished sign will get finished eventually, but it will undoubtably not be what you wanted.   Asking someone to help isn't a bad idea, but it won't save that much time, since most of the delay is related to waiting for skewers to mature.

#31 2020-03-05 20:35:45

Dodge

Whatever wrote:

@dodge i just saw an interesting github issue you made: https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeData7/issues/652

Dodge wrote:

The letter system is nice, interesting to make etc.

But to make the letters to write something as simple as "BAKERY" or "TAILOR SHOP" takes a whole life (or even several), with signs you know right away what is what dont need to pick up a note but currently it's underused due to this issue.

The problem is not making the letters themselves, the issue is needing xx ammount of skewers and the whole process of getting them.

Could one skewer/weak skewer give a pile of letter stocks?

Why do you want to make it easier to make signs?
Why dont you ask people to help you make signs? It would go much faster if you ask people

Is it a legit question or are you just trying to be a dick?

Anyway what do you think about this? https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 449#p90449

Since you dont like how the tool system is currently.

#32 2020-03-06 01:12:23

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Fair warning to all:

Morti is a biological manifestation of a super-intelligence

#33 2020-03-06 02:23:01

DestinyCall

jasonrohrer wrote:

Fair warning to all:

That explains so much.

#34 2020-03-06 05:24:04

testo

jasonrohrer wrote:

Fair warning to all:

Morti wrote:
sigmen4020 wrote:

Here Morti. Reminisce on this old post of yours. XXXXXXXXXXD

The is one of the problems with the drastic changes Jason likes to make to his games.
Something he just doesn't understand as a game designer.
People invest their time into making guides and strategies, coming up with collective ideas as to how to overcome the hurdles of existing dynamics.
WE, do that part, and WE become closer as a group for doing them together.

To just go and overhaul THE WHOLE FUCKING GAME just because people overcome one of those hurdles, doesn't just present a new challenge for people to overcome, it's hurts the formation and cohesion of the existing community that bonds overcoming those previous hurdles, who did so for the sake of people yet to come.

This guide, and so many guides that others players have made, have become near meaningless to the present state of the game.

I get why he changed the temp system, I get why he changed the pond and well systems (TIME AFTER TIME AGAIN) but what he needs to get is other people.

If he is going to make a game where people want to be together and care for each other, anything he does to hurt that, is going to hurt the game and it's ultimately going to hurt us as people, who would have prospered from the bonds we'd have continued forming as a community, INCLUDING HIM and his reputation as a game designer.

I mean, there are a lot of game designers out there that their community will do everything short of dying for, whereas the people who once cared for and trusted Jason, have left him. But at least he has 4 people in his life that mean more to him than anyone else in the world, right? I mean, that is a big thing, obviously, for any human being, to have REAL people in your life, and not just some NOT REAL people on the internet.

I'm sure if Jason had to solve the trolley problem, with his, what is it now? Something like 70,000 people that have bought One Hour One Life, on one track, and his wife and 3 kids on the other, he would, no questions asked, kill all 70,000 of us, for the sake of his family.

I think that is how little, he cares about everyone else in the world, at this point.

So, now this forum should become a lesson, for any future game developers that plan to put their work out for the public, to make and enjoy as a community.
You make a promise, you better damn well keep it.
Don't say you're going to make a game about parenting, and then just leave it about oil and murder for 6 months.
I'm sure it's hard for Jason to separate oil from parenting, when that's basically what he's told us his mother and father did just to afford him the luxury of being able to sit his big dopey ass in front a PC for long enough that he could figure out how to make a machine add 2 and 2 together, but there is a obviously more to life than fucking oil.

MOVE ON

https://i.imgur.com/yA1abk8.gif

IS NO FUCKING SUBSTITUTE FOR CONTENT!

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 443#p70443

Fair warning indeed.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#35 2020-03-06 07:09:11

Léonard

That was a good post.

#36 2020-03-06 07:26:46

Melea

Wow, I'd forgotten about that post.

It's interesting how the August-2019-Morti post and March-2020-Morti posts sound like they were written by two completely different people. Not just the content, but also HOW they're written - the phrasing used, conversational method, and apparent train of thought are really quite different.

#37 2020-03-06 09:12:39

Amon

Whatever wrote:

Btw what you call "forced restrictions" is really subjective it's like saying in real life i want to learn baking, smithing, tailoring, astrophysics.
You can learn all of these things if you want, there is no magic barrier that restricts you
for example:
Galileo Galilei was an Astronomer Mathematician Astrologer Physicist Polymath Philosopher Engineer

Just hopping in to say.

Astronomy, mathematics, astrology and physics and engineering are all related skill groups that benefit from each other in one way or another, most notoriously from mathematics and physics.
Polymath isn't a skill but defines a person that has multiple skills, if you look at other polymaths you quickly notice most of their skills are related in one way or another wit ha sprinkle of philosophy. Leonardo da Vinci was a painter and sculpturer, but also an architect, engineer and inventor, same stuff here.

All of these skills together are more comparable in OHOL to being both a builder and a wall painter.
To be both the smith and engineer.
To be both a farmer, herder and the cook.

Which aren't that hard in the stretch of the imagination. Now surely Gallileo was not a woodcutter, labourer, botanist, doctor, pasty maker, theologist, horse breeder etc.
You can be everything you ever wanted, except for the things you don't.
And that might just mean nothing in OHOL.

Last edited by Amon (2020-03-06 09:13:52)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#38 2020-03-06 21:55:33

Saolin

In real life a person could learn and master many things, but the need to spend a lot of time to master each keeps them from doing so. Perhaps a skillful person is capable of learning to be a medical doctor, an astrophysicist, a psychiatrist, an accountant, a teacher, etc. But they don't because there isn't enough time to master all these things.  In-game though it doesn't take any time to master a profession, you are at the maximum skill level the first time you use a skill, so you end up filling up your skill slots very easily with time to spare that could be used to "learn" more if you weren't blocked from doing so. I think this may be one of the sources of frustration with tool slots. I actually like Dodge's idea of levelling up skills as you work on them or observe others doing so, as it seems like it would alleviate that source of frustration since it would keep players preoccupied with mastering the skills they already know, rather than having spare time they spend wishing they could do more. It would also help create a division of labor that seems like it would keep more people feeling involved in a town's upkeep.  It maybe could accomplish this even in the absence of tool slots attempting to force it.

Now I don't have any major qualms with tool slots anymore.  Initially, in practice I found them quite stifling due to needing to make major adjustments to my playstyle, but after some adjusting I didn't mind it too much. I still wouldn't call it a success though, I think of the positives it was supposed to introduce like encouraging villagers to communicate and work together more didn't really happen in a major or very enriching way.

For me the big turn off of this game is the race restrictions.  It seems there are many players who also dislike race restrictions, and many suggesting to remove the system.  I suspect many players would potentially be ok with an adequate reworking of the system that feels more fun.  I think the reason for suggesting removal is it is the easiest and most obvious solution to the problem of finding the restrictions are not fun.  In some posts by Jason I've seen him make suggestions that assume towns are all working together to solve the (usually water) problems. In my experiences though a lot of players don't know/don't care to help with the town's problems, and a player trying to work hard to save a town still feels a lot of the weight of trying to do it all on their own, with now a lot of the tools and resources necessary to do so restricted, which is partially responsible for the helpless feeling I've mentioned before.

Me: "need water"
Me: "need blacks"
Me: "for rubber"
Other player: "yeah" *runs off* ["good luck with that, I'm gonna go start some drama because that's more fun than running aimlessly through the wilderness"]

As for the suggestion in op by Coconut Fruit, as much as it would draw me back to play some lives for that week, I don't know that there's really a lot of information to be gained from it. I think there would be a spike in players because of the novelty factor (even though it's something we had before it's not currently accessible), so more people playing wouldn't necessarily indicate that people prefer it.

I'd be curious to see the result of an in-game poll of what people think of race restrictions.

#39 2020-03-06 22:27:58

Legs

The one-free-use mechanic from last week's update helped A LOT with the limitations of tool slots in my opinion. Before I'd end up wasting a tool slot on some minor thing like dying my clothes or building a box. Now you really only use tool slots for heavy-usage items. You can't do everything, but you can do enough to do your job and still have a life outside of that.

Loco Motion

#40 2020-03-30 16:03:57

Morti

Morti wrote:

I've had this reply, to things said, and thoughts had, for almost a month now, in a tab in my browser. I didn't want to copy it and save it to a notepad file of unfinished comments. I didn't want to close the tab and forget what I was trying to say. I even had a power outtage, and, I almost felt relieved that I didn't have to think about it anymore. Then Chrome asked me restore pages, and, there it was. SO rather than try to clean it up where I was trying to end it, I leave it as is.

And I click Submit

I have made mistakes.
I have learned from them.
I will continue to make mistakes
and learn from them as well.

Perhaps I am guilty of caring too much, or, not in the right way, for some of you.
That won't stop me from loving you, no matter who you are, IN REALITY, not just in the game.

I love seeing you engage with one another, in game, and on the board, in much the same way I love to see people at the grocery store, to see mechanics, working together to fix a car, or to be in the presence of a classroom, with a teacher, multiplying the knowledge of humanity. I don't know anyone, that admires you, for what you are, the way I do.

What a game, for someone like me. What a game, for you, for us, to take on, the most important role of life, in the form of human beings, caring, for one another. We've really stream lined evolution, haven't we? But you can think about the past, all you want, just don't forget about the future. We truly are headed, into wonderful directions. This snapshot*, of the Universe, of Life and of Humanity, that we have right now, it's opened the door of the whole planet, to the rest of the universe out there.

*If the history of humanity, were a 2 hour movie, shot at 24 frames per second, everyone, alive, everyone that has died in your life time, everyone that will be born, in your lifetime, we are all in the same scene, together; the same few seconds, of that scene. That is the snapshot, I am talking about; this window of time, you are in, right now. This window, this sight, of the state of things, that opens, and closes, with your life.

No one of us, ever, in the history, of the planet, has been prepared for this.
We must be willing to make, great mistakes, and we are, taking the greatest risks, pushing ourselves with technology, preparing ourselves, for the Anthropocene Explosion, of life, out to worlds, we will surely struggle to adapt to.

We made it here.
We can make it on them.
And I'm not talking Oregon Trail made it, we have to adapt to physical and chemical environments, that there is no gene, we can switch on, to adapt to.
But in time, we will tame them, and they will be more like the Eden of Earth, than we have yet to imagine.

That's part of why, I love you so much. Because you have, all this time, reached out, again, and again. In your search, for the most, affordable, foothold, between you and infinity. Humans, are the organ of life, that will lead to planetary reproduction.

At times it may seem that there are tremendous amounts of pressure on us right now, to get this stage right, but let us not forgot our own, humble beginnings on this world, and all the trials we failed, as past success, has become the everyday. The future holds a lot of weight, but we are very strong. Far stronger, than most voices, of our masses, would remind us, if only they truly knew.

I can't tell you, enough, how much I love you.

Life, please, stop at nothing, short, of transforming everything into you.
I could think of nothing more beautiful, than a whole universe, of what you are; what you will become, under every condition, that the physical universe allows.
Just know that new adaptations, take time. Remain cautious, yet brave, even when you are faced with the most dreadful adversity. You are about to enter

--

You, get me carried away.

#41 2020-03-30 16:08:38

Karrots

I would like a day without race restrictions just so we could play more sandbox-y for a bit. I wanted to make a lot of things I can't because of restrictions.

#42 2020-03-30 16:37:46

Elsayal

Karrots wrote:

I would like a day without race restrictions just so we could play more sandbox-y for a bit. I wanted to make a lot of things I can't because of restrictions.

Go in settings and choose an empty server : this is sandbox.

check this : http://onehouronelife.com/reflector/ser … ion=report
and paste something like this : serverxx.onehouronelife.com : 8005

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#43 2020-03-30 17:14:59

DestinyCall

Elsayal wrote:
Karrots wrote:

Go in settings and choose an empty server : this is sandbox.

check this : http://onehouronelife.com/reflector/ser … ion=report
and paste something like this : serverxx.onehouronelife.com : 8005

Yes, exactly like that .. but on BS2.

Playing on a low pop server is nice, but it isn't the same as being in a vibrant multiplayer village.

Board footer