One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2020-02-26 21:17:21

Spoonwood

Re: Jason's misunderstanding

Ilka wrote:

I wish the times abundance of water (and gasoline) were back.

You mean when you had a diversity of options with how to get more water such as when multiple ponds could get upgraded?  You don't want the monotonous and narrow path of spring to shallow well to deep well to newcomen charcoal pump to diesel water pump, but instead have that option *as well* as the option of upgrading a bunch of ponds to shallow wells and then to deep wells?

When you felt like there was more of an option to use a tank of kerosene on a car or plane?

Like when San-cal could have a viable surburb, and it wasn't like you'd even necessarily end up in San-Cal every 5th life or something, but it still existed and you might go there?  When buildings AND a diversity of temperature environments existed?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#52 2020-02-26 22:35:03

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Tipy, the guy still came to you to ask for sulfur.

If he could have gotten sulfur by himself, you never would have had that interaction.  Maybe it was a simple interaction.  Maybe it was boring.  But it was some interaction, and a necessary one (from his point of view).

Destiny, somehow, all across the server, people have rubber.  It's not supposed to be something accessible to a new player.  It's a challenge for the experts, to save their town long-term, by solving this problem.  There is no recipe for solving this problem, so no, it can't be taught to a new player, classroom-style.

#53 2020-02-26 22:58:09

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

If he could have gotten sulfur by himself, you never would have had that interaction.  Maybe it was a simple interaction.  Maybe it was boring.  But it was some interaction, and a necessary one (from his point of view).

The problem is trying to create more need in players.  When players have more of a need, they don't feel empowered.  It doesn't lead to them feeling the game is more compelling or unique.  It's just another grind and gamers are familiar with grinds.  They also end up closer to mere existence in game.  And there's little compelling about the state of mere existence.

Danish Clinch.

#54 2020-02-27 03:55:55

pein

I think that you should allow people to get back to their previous towns

that's one of the fun parts of the game

I like to start new camps than go back there, I don't like to play in already made cities
sure, if we would have more players than we could play as eve more often

or we could have other mechanics that would encourage people to spread out and wander around
soil fertility, chemical spillage, forest fires. not sure if any of this could be made with the current engine.

then the choices would be more varied. crop rotation, cleaning up the mess or just go forward.
maybe it could be an ai chasing you or a goal that drives you across the land, finding something, making something, like a railroad across the continent, maybe travel together in a big machine and stop from time to time, maybe run away from the weather.

or some sort of end goal where you compete between races/groups/nations to do something the first time, then the server would be over. a win condition not a losing condition.

sure, 1 hour is not enough to do all that, but the issue is that nothing we do matters in the end. towns have no identity. if one town would make wood industry cause it has bonuses for it, and people went that way and other would have other industry, and people could pay with a currency to move into another city, stuff like that, it would be still fun.

maybe lock people into groups where they need to stick with 25% of the player base for a week, even if they die, they could find others trough the week and have new friends and enemies. curses would mean that if 20% of people curse you then you won't be able to stay in that group and the next group would require you to work before you join them.

a good economic structure would be still fun, even if you die each hour.

I think the crafting system is only bad cause you can't really own things, and it's way to easy to steal from others.
we share it cause it's easier to help others, life is short to bicker over a few bowls or tools. combat is non-existent.

maybe it could be some sort of system which allows gaining advantage in your next life. like league of legends has the runes: you start off the same as others, but you can have 5-10% bonus on things and a bit of specialization. it's capped so eventually everybody gets to maxed runes. same here, based on the performance you could travel back to previous camps or start new eve runs if you are good.

even pacman had a point system, like 99% of the games. OHOL is the weird game where the meme score AKA: sitting in fire, force-feeding kids and eating different food worth more than understanding how to build a working city and do the advanced things.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#55 2020-02-27 04:12:23

DestinyCall

jasonrohrer wrote:

Destiny, somehow, all across the server, people have rubber.  It's not supposed to be something accessible to a new player.  It's a challenge for the experts, to save their town long-term, by solving this problem.  There is no recipe for solving this problem, so no, it can't be taught to a new player, classroom-style.

Teaching new players is fun.   Learning how to do useful things is a lot of fun.    Not being able to do anything to save your town because you are too new or too white is not fun.

#56 2020-02-27 04:40:24

PopcornFireworks

DestinyCall wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Teaching new players is fun.   Learning how to do useful things is a lot of fun.    Not being able to do anything to save your town because you are too new or too white is not fun.

I'm a fairly new player (had the game for about three weeks), and I agree with DestinyCall on this. I really like learning how to make new things and be useful to the town. It's also satisfying to know that I've learned something well enough to teach it to a newer player. I think if you're looking for interaction, this kind of community is more important than forcing trade and related interactions.

If I'm in a town with an exhausted deep well, I can't solve that problem because I don't know how to make an engine. But, I'll go around asking people for help, or to teach me how, or to let me help them make it. However, if I'm in a town with an exhausted deep well and no gingers, I won't even try to solve the problem because we might build the engine, but what good does that do us if no one can get oil?

I think the complex crafting creates better interaction than "trade" does. And I think using the restrictions that are fundamental to the game (you only have an hour, and crafting is complex) to create situations for interaction are less frustrating than more artificial ones (tool slots and race restrictions). For example, let's say you want to build a room with plaster walls - it takes time to get the adobe and limestone, and someone needs to build the walls, and cook the quicklime, and get water for the plaster. This would take one person most of their life, and they might not live to see the project finished, and the unfinished adobe walls might crumble. But if you collaborate with other people, you can finish it in your lifetime. In this scenario, you're interacting with other people to convince them to help you craft or gather things: you have to convince them that your project is worthwhile, and that's an interesting interaction! Or, you have to convince your descendants that your building is important enough to finish. Or, your town only has one cart, and you need to get the person who's out collecting eggs to let you use it for limestone instead.

I have a lot of interesting interactions when I'm learning or teaching or collaborating. When my town is out of rubber or oil, and we don't have all the right races to get them it feels like there's nothing we can do about it except hope that we find someone or someone finds our town before we all starve, and that's not fun.

#57 2020-02-27 09:33:21

Kinrany

jasonrohrer wrote:

the median player only plays for 3.5 hours (20 lives)

Wait, that's ~10 minutes per life for new players, that's not good

jasonrohrer wrote:

Especially since the "being a baby" part of the game is the least interesting part, and you're definitely going to have to go through that again.

This seems like the only real difference.

jasohrorer wrote:

Regardless, I think that the structure of the game makes it fundamentally less compelling long-term than other games.

Uh, sorry, but to me it sounds like you want to find a reason to give up and declare the game impossible to fix.

It probably doesn't help that everyone expects so many different things from the game. Perhaps it would help to write down a list of goals and non-goals for the game.

If the game runs out of players, no one will be able to get that perfect OHOL experience anymore.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Oh, there's one other huge problem.  I set out to make the most comprehensive crafting game of all time.  A small slice of the gaming populace loves huge crafting trees, but most people don't.  It gives them the, "I'm never going to learn all of this, and why would I bother?" feeling.

On the other hand people seem to love to be taught by someone they know. Is there a way to encourage players to teach each other?

#58 2020-02-27 14:27:05

Gogo
Banned

Jason thinks players should behave like he would, approach problems like he would.

Problem is... we are players, not makers - we are lazy, 'giving up' type.

And we need accomplishments more than problems.

I once thought many troubles and loses will be more interesting during the game (any game).

Then I played Mass Effect and I lose squad member in ME2 (who played it knows in which part). I felt shitty, but I didn't want to do the sequence again.

But I felt so shitty to the point I was even... broken, I didn't want to solve any other problems like I did. I became a little psycho that do everything just for personal gain or - just to fuck things even more, because if I suffered I wanted others to suffer (by others I mean NPC's in game!). It ended in sad end and bad decisions through the game (betrayals etc). I feel depressed in the end.

After that I realized we need accomplishments badly! It's childish, but yes, I will give up if something goes wrong or I would make even more mess.

I think many people would behave more like me, than like Jason.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-02-27 14:30:14)

#59 2020-02-27 15:00:14

DestinyCall

Kinrany wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

the median player only plays for 3.5 hours (20 lives)

Wait, that's ~10 minutes per life for new players, that's not good

jasonrohrer wrote:

Especially since the "being a baby" part of the game is the least interesting part, and you're definitely going to have to go through that again.

This seems like the only real difference.

Now combine "the media player is only alive for ten minutes" part with the "being a baby is the least interesting part of OHOL" part ... and what do we have?   A plausible scenario for why a lot of new players quit this game without reaching the fun part.    I'd like to see more attention given to improving the experience for new players, especially with relation to the tutorial and solo-play options.  I've read a lot of feedback from people who have played this game for the first time and I consistently read about the same general experience.    They hear about the game and they are fascinated by the concept.   They play through the tutorial and assume that they have a decent handle on how to play.   They get tossed into the game as a screaming infant ... and die almost immediately.   And then die again and again.    But that isn't actually what people complain about.   The real problem is when they don't die.   Because if they survive the whole "being a helpless potato" stage, they are now one tiny cog in a busy OHOL village.  With no idea what they can do to be useful and a huge amount of information overload bombarding them from every direction.    There are dozens of amazing experiences all around them, but the tutorial didn't give them any idea how to behave in a city.   It taught them how to open a door, light a fire, and die on a snake.     If there's some rope nearby, they can make a tool that nobody wants to waste a tool slot on outside of an Eve camp.  That's about it.   

If they are a very lucky new player, their mom will take an interest when she gets the notification and help them get introduced to some of the real basics of living/working in an OHOL village.  One of the most common questions I receive from new babies is "Job?"    They want a purpose.   They want a direction.    Unlike a seasoned player, who can run around the average town and quickly find something useful to do with their life, new players don't know what needs to get done and they don't know how to do it.   It takes time to learn all the different transitions.   All the minuscule steps between deciding to bake a pie and holding the finished pie in your hands.    Learning how to do it can be incredibly fun ... both for the new player AND the experienced player who teaches them.   But finding those moments can be much more difficult.   As a new player, I have only have a handful of strong memories of lives were I was taught by other players.    Most of what I learned, I had to learn the hard way (by bumping random objects against each other until they did something cool) or the lame way (by looking it up on OneTech).    I would love to see more ways to help new players integrate into the village.

I'd also like to see more support for "solo-play".     This is something that I personally wished this game offered when I first started and something that I hear requested by many new players.    The full OHOL experience is definitely BS2 - being born to another player, trying to stay alive in a chaotic village full of other players, getting randomly killed, etc.   But as a new player I strongly wished that the game came pre-packaged with an option for a local server that allowed you to play off-line at your own pace.   Not only would it give people the option to escape the high-stress of the regular game when they just wanted to relax, but it also would let players explore all the crafting options available in the game without worrying that they are harming the village or not doing the perfect thing that needs to be done in that moment and ruining the game for everybody else.  That's a lot of pressure for a new player and it is one of the reasons that I almost didn't make it when I was new.   

Now you might be thinking "just go play on a low pop server".   Leaving aside for a moment that switching servers is un-inuitive and not an easy option for a new player, the low population servers are not that good of a solo-play experience on their own.  Ideally, I'd like to see some better support for soloing.     There are a few specific features I'd like to see for the "perfect" soloing experience.   The most important - always respawn near your previous death location.  This is probably the number one feature for a good solo experience.   I do not want to spend two or three hours building a beautifully organized Eve camp only to die at 54 years old and lose everything.    The second major change I'd like to see - remove the majority of the time-based decay features.   There are a few important things that eventually fall apart - adobe walls, carts, etc.    It doesn't matter that much in an active village, but when you play on a low pop server and only visit your camp once or twice a day, an eight hour timer means that you will be remaking the same things each time you log on.   The most tedious things (baskets and backpacks) have already been fixed to not decay in the base game, so that's good.   But there are still a few things I'd like to see not decay during solo play.  Or maybe the timers just need to be extended or an option provided to repair things when they enter the decayed state.  I wouldn't mind repairing my old cart to keep it functional.  That feels like a more positive experience than watching it crumble apart and building a new one every time  I return to work on my solo camp.   

I think many new players would appreciate if there was an option for solo-play on the main menu - so you could launch the tutorial, get the basics, then jump into the main game ... panic .. and go play solo for a while until you had a better grasp of the controls and basic job skills ... then jump back into the main game and see if you can handle a real village.   It would be a much gentler learning curve than the current steep cliff.

#60 2020-02-27 15:04:13

Mekkie

Gogo wrote:

Jason thinks players should behave like he would, approach problems like he would.

I once thought many troubles and loses will be more interesting during the game (any game).

Then I played Mass Effect and I lose squad member in ME2 (who played it knows in which part). I felt shitty, but I didn't want to do the sequence again.

But I felt so shitty to the point I was even... broken, I didn't want to solve any other problems like I did. I became a little psycho that do everything just for personal gain or - just to fuck things even more, because if I suffered I wanted others to suffer (by others I mean NPC's in game!). It ended in sad end and bad decisions through the game (betrayals etc). I feel depressed in the end.

After that I realized we need accomplishments badly! It's childish, but yes, I will give up if something goes wrong or I would make even more mess.

Surprised you made it to ME2!  I never finished ME1 cause after hours of grinding out the best gear for my gunner, i had to murder my boyfriend just to not let that farming go to waste.  Sad Mekkie was sad.

I also +1 the point of complex crafting is far more social than restrictions.  Asking someone to teach me a recipe is much more interesting than asking someone to go make something for me. 

Also, it took me a solid 4 lives to actually remember how to make fire from scratch.  Not everyone is blessed with impeccable memory.  The game has more staying power than you think, as long as you don't chase everyone off with this never-ending string of restricting updates.

#61 2020-02-27 15:54:22

Lava

Stick to crafting and adding new things and old players will stay while the ones will be motivated to learn.

#62 2020-02-27 16:00:07

Lava

Gogo wrote:

I agree with this, he never listens to his ACTUAL player base. He caters to the small people who don’t play his game rather than the try hards and players do, it’s saddening.

Last edited by Lava (2020-02-27 16:02:30)

#63 2020-02-27 16:07:47

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, Destiny, those are all excellent points.

However, they are also the entire point---as in, reason for existence---for the game.

It's not a solo game.  There are loads of solo crafting survival games, and and many of them are way more popular than OHOL.  I set out to make something totally different.

The core experience of OHOL is getting thrown as a screaming baby into a situation that you can't control, at the mercy of a group of total strangers, and somehow finding your place in their existing order, and then passing down whatever order you manage to create to the next generation before you die.

It's a trans-generational survival game.  That's what it is.

This is kinda what I mean about "unsolvable problems."

There are problems where the only solution seems to be "make a different game."  By doing that, I'm not actually solving a problem with OHOL.  I'm making a different game that doesn't have that problem.

Even the tutorial is a bit of a spoiler for the core experience of the game.  When you fire up the game, you should be a screaming baby in a crazy situation right away, but instead, you're a full-grown adult locked in a little maze of walls.

I think the "new player notifier" that a mother gets is a huge improvement.... and maybe, almost, can replace the tutorial in terms of necessary function (that was added at PAX, because booth players didn't have time to play the tutorial).

But a better way to ease a new player into the real game, especially since the fundamental premise of the game is that we can't control what situation they are born into....

Maybe the mother getting notified isn't enough.  What if everyone saw them with a +NEW+ bubble above their head as the walked around?

#64 2020-02-27 16:09:50

Ilka

Spoonwood wrote:

You mean when you had a diversity of options with how to get more water such as when multiple ponds could get upgraded?  You don't want the monotonous and narrow path of spring to shallow well to deep well to newcomen charcoal pump to diesel water pump, but instead have that option *as well* as the option of upgrading a bunch of ponds to shallow wells and then to deep wells?

When you felt like there was more of an option to use a tank of kerosene on a car or plane?

Like when San-cal could have a viable surburb, and it wasn't like you'd even necessarily end up in San-Cal every 5th life or something, but it still existed and you might go there?  When buildings AND a diversity of temperature environments existed?

Exactly. I remember these big cities with two deep wells, three shallow wells and one with a steam engine.
Veterans could easily build advanced things and noobs calmly cultivate the land without constant fear of lack of water.

So in response to our whining, Jason decided to make us hungry faster?

Bravo!

I think I should write the topic: "Is Jason an alien and why is it almost certain?"

#65 2020-02-27 16:15:37

Ilka

DestinyCall wrote:

Now combine "the media player is only alive for ten minutes" part with the "being a baby is the least interesting part of OHOL" part ... and what do we have? ...

I don't want to spread gossip here, but it seems to me that a large part of Jason's ideas are simply plain laziness.
Creating a new tutorial takes a lot of work, so no, we probably won't see the new tutorial.

#66 2020-02-27 16:27:07

Averest

The only reason I don't believe this game is literally a human experiment for a PhD in human psychology are the lack of an informed consent form in the EULA. It, however, may still be a book or series of post-project blogs.

#67 2020-02-27 16:30:42

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, you caught me, the laziest developer on the planet!

93 updates.... the output of an absolute sloth.

#68 2020-02-27 17:03:36

Ilka

Averest wrote:

The only reason I don't believe this game is literally a human experiment for a PhD in human psychology are the lack of an informed consent form in the EULA. It, however, may still be a book or series of post-project blogs.

It also occurred to me ...

jasonrohrer wrote:

I don't mind updates that add something.
But limiting what was ...
Unfortunately, it's just a waste of time.
They all say, "We don't want it, it spoils the game."
And you are trying to force people again.
Should I remind you of the history of swords and private property? Nobody wanted it and it took several months for you to give up these ideas.

#69 2020-02-27 17:22:13

Lava

jasonrohrer wrote:

Sounds about right 5 months of wasted on rift that was straight out removed then add (race) restrictions which inheritantly kill the fun of the game:). He doesn’t release a decent update in forever, and then manages to convince both himself and his audience that he has been extremely productive.

#70 2020-02-27 17:36:39

Gogo
Banned

Solo is better. Example - Jason making OHOL by himself. xD

In multiplayer shooters (FPP-TPP) I feel like total noob because of high skill of others compared to mine, while in OHOL, I (as fairly advanced player) felt like I'm wasting away. OHOL playerbase is not skilled and determined enough to depend on each other.

#71 2020-02-27 17:51:29

jasonrohrer
Administrator

My current task is fixing all 140 of these player-submitted issues:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeData7/issues

Since players reported them, I'm assuming that they want them to be fixed.

#72 2020-02-27 17:57:03

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

The core experience of OHOL is getting thrown as a screaming baby into a situation that you can't control, at the mercy of a group of total strangers, and somehow finding your place in their existing order, and then passing down whatever order you manage to create to the next generation before you die.

A big problem is Jason's insistence on almost everyone getting born as a baby on bigserver2.  It's not an unsolvable problem though, since computers don't constrain him to make the choice of almost everyone getting born as a baby.  His claiming that such would be a 'different game' is rubbish as servers where players do NOT mostly spawn as a baby are NOT a different game.

jasonrohrer wrote:

But a better way to ease a new player into the real game, especially since the fundamental premise of the game is that we can't control what situation they are born into

Jason here lies about his own game, since it's possible to have a private server or Eve-chain on most of his servers.  Also, even on bigserver2 /die exists and there exist only so many families and mothers, and when there's 50 some players and you have 24 life tokens, picking your mom is possible.

Danish Clinch.

#73 2020-02-27 19:09:56

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Also, this isn't correct since people can use the discord to find a parent who has a human they already know in real life.  Additionally, the whole black text for cursed players indicates that the other players are not total strangers.  The replay-ability factor also means that the other characters are not total strangers.

jasonrohrer wrote:

It's not a solo game.

The post here clearly indicates that playing solo is NOT playing a different game: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4848

Also, the core of something relates to the foundations of that something.  For example, one translator translated Frege as saying "the core of the presentation" when he referred to the axioms he used in the Begriffsschrift.  The core experience thus is not that of being a helpless baby, but that of being an adult who had NO parent.

Danish Clinch.

#74 2020-02-27 20:03:34

JonySky
Website

I am a graphic advertising designer, and I have worked for big brands, for television channels and even for political parties

Advertising techniques of all kinds are used in the world of advertising

A technique (very common) in the world of advertising is to generate a false expectation, an extreme polemic or false hype ...
Another technique is to create false news or alarming news that will create a great uproar in society
For example now on television we have the news of covid-19, this is a great example of alarming news

In smaller doses "crazy" or "nonsense" ideas can be used
these crazy ideas provoke society or communities

The purpose of all this is quite clear ... get to talk about a product, a brand, a news or a political party (no matter whether it is for better or for worse)
If this controversy gets you to talk about that article or news, it has already worked! ... now it is in your head and that is what you are looking for with all this

We human beings have curious ways to assimilate the information in our brains and the great publicists take advantage of these techniques so that their subconscious works as intended ...

The sadness of all this is that these techniques are normally used to promote items of complicated sale, or to cover some scandal, or to hide some deficiency ...

The latest updates in OHOL are quite "sad" and contribute nothing to the game
I have long realized that Jason is leaving some "crazy" or "little thought" ideas in this forum ....
He is continually "fighting" and "contradicting" the comments of users of this forum with text walls with complicated thoughts about the fun and what we really like about OHOL
he is creating controversy

OHOL currently has many limitations and many deficiencies ... and I believe that the game engine does not allow the vast majority of changes that we request and propose here
I think Jason is in a complicated moment of development and to improve OHOL many changes are required that I doubt can be made

I do not speak of new content ... I speak of new mechanics that allow changing the game and allow creating the ideas that are exposed to Jason in this forum every week
The ideas of the community simply cannot be developed or it is simply not known how to reach them (I think that the current engine does not allow them to be developed)

It seems that Jason has chosen the path of provoking controversy in this forum so that OHOL is still being talked about and so that we continue here talking about the game, to keep him alive
I don't know if he's using this technique thoroughly or it's just a coincidence, but it's not the way to go Jason

The numbers of current players will not be here forever
the community begins to be tired of playing the same thing over and over again
many players have already left the game a long time ago
but everything remains the same, no changes are made to the game
system mechanics are being adjusted that perhaps should be completely replaced (such as the PVP system)

I hope Jason realizes he's wrong

Last edited by JonySky (2020-02-27 20:13:39)

#75 2020-02-27 20:58:36

DestinyCall

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yeah, Destiny, those are all excellent points.

However, they are also the entire point---as in, reason for existence---for the game.

It's not a solo game.  There are loads of solo crafting survival games, and and many of them are way more popular than OHOL.  I set out to make something totally different.

It's a trans-generational survival game.  That's what it is.

There are problems where the only solution seems to be "make a different game."  By doing that, I'm not actually solving a problem with OHOL.  I'm making a different game that doesn't have that problem.

I don't want you to make a different game, Jason.  I want you to polish this rough cut gem into a beautiful diamond.  But I do think that sometimes you get too hung up on making OHOL the most unique, one-of-a-kind game that is completely unlike any other game on the market ...  so much that you completely ignore obvious solutions to known problems.

I've seen you repeatedly decide to leave the game in an obviously broken state rather than fix a problem in a way that feels too ordinary.   If you can't come up with a completely novel solution to the issue, it just doesn't get fixed.   Even when your community is begging you for help and providing a bunch of suggestions for possible fixes, you will reject anything that doesn't meet a strict standard of non-standardization.  Basically, if someone else was able to successfully use it in another game, it probably isn't special enough for inclusion in OHOL.   No wonder some problems seem impossible to solve.

I realize that you pride yourself on being a solo dev who has produced many unique, award-winning games and you want OHOL to be your greatest game ever.   And you want it to be something that is special and really different from every other game out there.   And it is!   .... but that does not mean that every aspect of the game has to be a special snowflake, hand-crafted from artisan snow.   It wouldn't stop being OHOL if you made some quality-of-life improvements to allow it to be more approachable and accepted some advice or help from other people who love this game and want to see it improve.

I feel like you can't decide if OHOL is supposed to be a fun computer game about parenting and village-building  or an artsy social experiment about water scarcity and masochism

Because if the goal is to make a fun game, I think you need to shift your priorities to be less artsy and more pragmatic.

Board footer