One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-24 03:02:33

Morti

Pen Transformation

For someone in game that said they didn't understand how the corners worked.
kGN2H4Y.gif

This is why I put the fence, or box for sheep goods, inside.
You could even replace, say, the top left inside fence with an oven, and the top right inside fence with a slotted box, and cook and store excess mutton, there in the pen.

Which reminds me, cooked food should not be stored in kitchens.
Kitchens should be places where raw ingredients are stored, then, once prepared, the finished goods should be stored outside of the kitchen, say, outside on the south wall where the shelves have been converted to slotted shelves with a saw and piece of thread.

It would keep traffic down inside the kitchen, while still providing a place for people to gather, just outside the kitchen, to the south.
Making that a nice place to store clothing and have a fire as well, which then would make a convenient, adjacent place, to the smithy, for transferring fire.

mgMAafQ.png

While I'm at it I'll share an old town layout plan I had as well... why not?

w8bIusK.png

#2 2020-02-24 03:42:16

DestinyCall

Re: Pen Transformation

I just make the entire pen out of tables.   Lots of easy storage.

#3 2020-02-24 03:48:44

Melea

<3 this post, especially the pen diagram and general workflow layouts.

#4 2020-02-24 04:16:00

Morti

Here is an example of a transformation in progress.
a6FAiXB.gif

And if you wanted to keep that top, central bush as a fifth passage:
JZOW08W.png
That would work.

Any of those internal fences could also be boxes, slotted boxes or an oven, and make sense being there.

Just... be careful, if you are cooking mutton, after lighting the fire, remove the shaft/firebrand from the area. Don't leave it there for someone to pick up and try to put into one of the boxes by accident. It turns the boxes into a sled, can potentially be moved, and, potentially, cause the sheep to escape. This is part of the reason you don't see more sheep pens made of boxes, the other being, that boxes cost rope, and getting a lot of rope when you need a pen for sheep, is difficult early on.

Boxes should really be made with nails or screws and, they should be relatively easy to make at the smithy.
dioSHu1.png

They could be the 8th object after mining pick, but, it is nice that pick is the last, in the case that someone new to smithing uses the last iron to practice, and ends up with a pick head after exploring how many hits each object takes. And, there is no charcoal and knife around to make the charcoal pencil needed for scrap bowl.

But, let's say that 8th item was a handful of nails, with, 8 uses, and, you could seperate 1 from the bunch and just have a nail. The nail could be used for all sorts of things, but, handful of nails should probably be required for things like turning a stack of boards into a box. It could remove one use from the handful, or, and number of uses, and a handful of nails could be up to any number; 10, 20, 144 even. And projects could take so many nails, from that handful. The box, for instance, could take 8, 16 or even 32 nails from the handful, if you really wanted to consider the box is 8 boards, and each board is connected to another by 2 nail, or, each board is connected to an internal piece in each of the 4 corners, so, each board would take 4 nails to connect to the corner supports.

Maybe that's too complicated for such a simple game. and it could be nails, with x uses, until it's last use and then they're just gone. And nails could come with 8 uses and, only one piece of artwork, ever need be made.

#5 2020-02-24 04:37:38

Morti

DestinyCall wrote:

Tables are crazy good, but.... that's a lot of logs.
Still better than the log & milkweed combo of the box.

Trees should, really, give a stack of logs and a stack of firewood say, if a saw was used on a chopped tree and it was, itself, considered, hungry work. Hmm, but that's two objects; the two stacks, so, either a larger pile of logs and firewood, in one new object, along with the stump, or, maybe if more items were added, like, chisel and mallet, to chopped tree, it became like a mine is for iron, and firewood, or logs, could be pulled from it??  It seems like a weird idea, having done it the way we have for so long, but, it'd make sense.
I've chopped down a few good sized trees before, and, each one can easily be near day long endeavor, just to process the tree. Especially since I don't use power tools.

And that type of job, could then, give us a reason to have chainsaws, which, would be the equivalent of today's axe, but yield more wood.

#6 2020-02-24 05:06:12

Morti

Melea wrote:

<3 this post, especially the pen diagram and general workflow layouts.

Thank you, Melea.

While I don't want to be responsible for every town looking the same, I do want people, especially those using the original client with such a small field of view, to have, a sort of, easier time, of navigating towns as they grow, when they are in search of particular items and areas which they may want to work, or to check on, to see that work may need to be done.

The goal, of a layout like that, is to minimize confusion and frustration caused by clutter, as work areas expand to fill the original game clients viewing area. And to encourage people to get in the habit of setting down items in the places where they are used most often, while keeping places that share those same items, in close proximity to one another.

Just seems to make sense.

Thanks again, and, if you consider things like this yourself, by all means, make posts like this in the forum.

Many similar posts, have been made over the years, but, they get buried, pretty quickly, under suggestions and complaints.

More positive, productive, posts in this forum, based in the present state of the game, are always pleasant sights to see.

<3

#7 2020-02-24 05:07:48

Morti

DestinyCall wrote:

Yeah, I really need to keep tables in mind now.
Thank you for reminding me, Destiny.

#8 2020-02-24 13:45:44

Wuatduhf

They are good storage, but for chaotic players easier to remove compared to wood fences.

#9 2020-02-24 17:32:27

DestinyCall

Wuatduhf wrote:

They are good storage, but for chaotic players easier to remove compared to wood fences.

Not really.   To break a sheep pen made out of fences, you don't even need to remove the fence.  Just turn any section into a gate and leave it open.    Most people won't even realize you are acting maliciously, because you didn't destroy anything.  Property fences are more secure in the short-term, but they will fall apart on their own if no one bothers to care for them or if the town becomes temporarily abandoned.     They are also impossible to move and difficult to expand.    We used to use stone blocks or adobe oven bases, but those could be easily dismantled too.   The stone blocks are lifted with a shovel - which every sheep pen has nearby for shoveling poop.   The adobe bases are melted back to adobe using a bowl of water, which is a waste of water and readily available in any decent village.

Tables are actually a pretty decent choice from a security stand-point, since most people don't bother to learn the tool used to disassemble the table and it is usually nowhere close to the sheep pen.   Breaking a table requires completely emptying it, finding the right tool, and then using the tool on the table.    The resulting pile of parts can be immediately reassembled into a table, so if you catch someone in the act, you can repair the damage without finding any additional parts, like stakes or a round rock or a shovel.     And if the sheep pen breaker tries to hide the pieces to delay repairs, the materials can be easily gathered or produced from logs and branches.

Anything short of ancient stone walls can be destroyed with the right amount of effort.     But keep in mind that you don't want your sheep pen to be completely impossible to redesign.     Sometimes people want to add on to an existing pen or change the shape or even move the sheep to a new pen elsewhere in the village.    Breaking the pen and letting the sheep out is annoying, but it isn't the end of the world.    Sheep and cows will follow the nearest player, so you can actually lead adult sheep right back into the pen, if you are patient enough.    Or repair the pen, move one baby sheep into the pen and slaughter the rest.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-02-24 22:15:11)

#10 2020-02-25 00:40:48

pein

tried transformations a few times

elder notes are so dumb, you need to e 55 and explain to someone how to mark them, so you can remove like 5-8 of them only when you are too old

you can just make a new pen near it, generally works better, sure it can be annoying the old one sitting there, cause fences are ugly, also the issue with dead towns that sheep escapes and it's harder to fix them so people will rather just scavenge it than to fix it and move in

the best way to extend pen and make new one, is to offset the new pen, start from the middle of the old pen, place the fences inside, it will create a small pen and a bigger one with dual walls
generally sideways offset it with a few tiles like 2-3 at least, and upward is enough with 1-2
then hopefully they let the fences rot
if you offset 1-1 tile then it's hard to enter and some idiots might even make more fences than to wait it to rot
I saw people making dumb airlocks or more fences to enter the pen

one way to ensure rotting fences, especially corners, is to place boxes on them, so it still blocks but people won't smash the fence on it, at least hopefully

corners can be made of way stones, if you got no good targets, then just give instructions on how to handle the sheep, like:
-never kill the mouflon
-if there is no mouflon, keep one sheep unsheared
-kill naked sheep first
-the one who feeds the sheep gets the fleece
-don't eat the berry, feed it to sheep, eat mutton pies
etc.

I even made one out of pine walls and diagonal way stones, that was interesting

sheep get targeted often if they can't break the pen, they just kill all the sheep so it can't be made 100% foolproof

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer