One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-19 14:28:35

fug

Living the dream.

The life started out about how you could expect of any medium level tech city. Tons of resources, most of the things you can do solo finished up, and exactly two people living in a rather boring situation. Instead of fruitlessly searching around for missing races, or making the 50th spare pie we wouldn't need I ended up picking up an old net laying around the village and decided this was going to be a chill life. No need for farming, no need for baking, and certainly no need for any sort of stress.

While waiting to be graced with motherhood I decide to build a small fishing area as I'm probably going to need somewhere to keep little baby gingers and the snow, well the snow is not a place for babies. A little T building for mommy, and a little hallway with a fire keeps the children who decided to stay warm. Our home isn't big, and it certainly isn't pretty but it's a place where we can talk and keep each other company. The boys play in the snow while mother is busy catching our dinner and things are generally pretty good. We're a close knit family and the three boys are rounded out by their little sister.

Daniela is given a piece of clothing from all of us and our little princess takes after her mother. Two women putting the food on the table, one son cooking and prepping the shrimp, and the other two are off building to make the area a bit cozier. Tons of shrimp are ate, milk is shared, and nets either bless us or send us back to the mostly abandoned big town. Some nice tan folks move into the town near us towards the end of my life and we even share a bit of our shrimp with them as a sign of friendship between the two groups.

But as all good things I start slowing down in my age and eventually things have to come to an end. What was once just a barren snowland is now filled with the patter of little feet skittering across the floor and an unforgiving biome is transformed into a cozy little place we called home. Overall, this was the perfect type of life and the exact example of what Jason (would) want family life to be like. Everyone was close enough to constantly take care of each other, everyone did stuff to help each other, and most important everyone had fun.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=5938655

And as always:
3pnk9l.jpg

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#2 2020-02-19 14:45:21

DestinyCall

Re: Living the dream.

What a beautiful life.     

Experiences like this one are a big part of the reason that I am always baffled when players complain about larger villages/towns being too boring.   This game provides many opportunities for fun, if you are willing to break from the usual grind.

#3 2020-02-19 14:53:17

Amon

It's the small stories like this that make OHOL a most unique game.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#4 2020-02-19 16:09:53

Lava

I had a very similar story with a ginger family prior to last weeks reset. We ran our great grandma’s fishing place for generations and it was passed on through generations. It was the cutest lil house ever built. Our population even reached up to fifteen but it eventually died down to about one or two people before jumping up again. The house eventually died out.

#5 2020-02-19 16:42:17

Booklat1

If only we got more family features instead of the apartheid simulation update

Simple stuff like each family giving all members favored foods or free tool skills, anything that buffed families instead of creating stereotypes like black people are desert people and gingers are ice people

#6 2020-02-21 01:21:47

Spoonwood

fug wrote:

Overall, this was the perfect type of life and the exact example of what Jason (would) want family life to be like.

Are you joking fug?

Where was the possibility of failure in your life fug?  Where did you have serious uncertainty about what you needed for you and your descendants to survive in the first place?

Jason has insisted (and implemented) that players not checking a custom server play on the same server, and kept the number of Eves as small as he can.  You had 5 children and had time to prepare for children.  Take a look at the family trees for Eve Connell: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=5813722 or Eve Pie: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=5869958 or Eve Voltaire: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=5919680 or Eve Xenakis: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=5919768 (or Eve Volek... Eve Tini seems an exception).  Take out all the sudden infant deaths also.  There's still sooo many babies per mother from the start.

Surely, mothers and their children look different on family trees later on, but Jason doesn't expect players to wander away from towns like you did as anything but an exception, since you did so, because you wanted to do so, not because you had to do so.  Many if not most of the players will be new, and thus players clustered around town comes as expected.

Also, why would you expect that Jason wants smallish-medium size family interactions like that when he's constantly talked about player interactions as the most important thing and tried to make them the most important.  In your life it was more about you and your family *providing* for each other and having the time and ability to provide for each other *well*, correct.  But, hasn't Jason talked about "challenge" and wanted people to fail a lot before they succeeded when he implemented tool restrictions and later hair-based (race) restrictions?  Or when he changed temperature to the still ridiculous shock-system that exists currently?  Or when The Rift came about?

Consider also this from Jason:

jasonrohrer wrote:

Essentially, there should be no steady state, where you finally break free from the survival struggle and can be fat, dumb, and happy for the rest of your life.  The garden of Eden can never be returned to.  No living off the fat of the land.  The land is too thin for that.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=63

Sure does sound like you were living off the fat of the land, so to speak fug.  So, I just don't understand why you think that would be an example of what Jason would want family life to be like.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#7 2020-02-21 07:10:16

AmberA

Ignore the negativity from Spoon, this was a beautiful story. Some of my favorite lives lately are where I build or take over a little cottage near town and raise a family there. Surprising how many kids stick around and join in when they are given a safe home with a purpose.

#8 2020-02-21 20:44:44

QuirkySmirkyIan

Hmm this sounds fun. I will try it.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#9 2020-02-21 20:58:10

antking:]#

one day we will get more worms

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

Board footer