One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-14 04:15:16

Izlador

I am new

Hello! This has probably been discussed before, but I'm feeling a bit lazy and about to go to sleep. I'm new to this game and it'd be great if I could get some information and recipes I need to know before I start playing and messing around, you anyone could give me this information. That'd be great! Thanks!

-Izlador

#2 2018-04-14 05:13:37

InSpace

Re: I am new

Heres how to craft things: https://colinmarc.com/ohol/

- The closer the temperature meter is to the center, the slower you lose hunger. Clothes and fire and deserts increase temp, while snow decreases it.

- Don't just farm carrots all game, make clothes and try to tech up to better food when possible.

Some tips:
Always pick milkweed when yellow, so that it regrows for the next generation.
6ipHhzt.jpg

Best piece of clothing in the game atm.
bAHYsbB.jpg

The higher insulation, the higher your temp.
42V0DPe.jpg

I'm just leaving this here because people ruin wells all the time.
WSicY9t.jpg

Last edited by InSpace (2018-04-14 05:15:42)

#3 2018-04-14 05:29:18

Drakulon

Here is a nice starting guide: https://onehouronelife.gamepedia.com/Starting_Guide

Last edited by Drakulon (2018-04-14 05:29:28)

#4 2018-04-14 06:27:50

ryanb
Website

Here is another crafting guide. It is up to date with the latest changes.

https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#5 2018-04-14 07:47:49

Lexyvil

I highly encourage you to start playing without knowing what to do or what to expect. The best experience you can have in the game is having to learn by yourself as if you really were born in the society in-game with the mind of 0 year old baby, and hope for a good mother or relative to teach you.

Even Jason once stated that he preferred that people play without referring to any wiki.
I'm not stopping you on learning the basics if you really must though~

Last edited by Lexyvil (2018-04-14 07:49:21)

#6 2018-04-14 08:01:24

Lavea

Looking at starting too. Do you find people have the time to help though? smile Don't want to risk ruining anyone else's games if they're all nearly dying. But I like the idea of diving in.

#7 2018-04-14 08:27:43

breezeknight

some beginner tips from my experience
----------------------------------------

watch out for your BODY TEMPERATURE (lower right corner)
average to half high is good, anything else is bad, especially if you're a baby/kid
clothing adds body temperature, full clothing is not suitable to be in the desert all the time

if you're a kid, carry FOOD with you - always - otherwise you'll probably die, death chance 50% higher than adult/teen
the older you get the more you're like a kid, so watch out for your food meter all the time as elder
don't waste high energy food (nutricious pies, mutton, cactus fruit) on kids & elders, use berries & carrots

if you find CACTI in the desert & don't have shoes, then use the cacti fruits to be carried on feet, it can save your life
you attach them to your feet only if your food meter is filled, otherwise you consume them immediately as normal food
which is a waste, cacti supply a very high energy level

in the new Monument update some changes to food were made, this has to be tested how it influences, how it changes the gameplay

set a HOME MARKER asap, otherwise you might not find back in time to your base, or your kids won't find it
for a home marker you need sapling (gives skewer), sharp stone, round stone
you can use that skewer to cook rabbits

the very first thing when spawned as Eve is to get a sharp stone, the second is to get a basket

SEED - SOIL - FOOD :
-----------------------
if you spawn into a village, where people FARM carrots, ask how they handle SEED
cause seeds & soil are as important as the carrots farmed to deliver food for the village
entire villages crumble if there is not enough carrots, not enough seeds & not enough soil

NEVER leave carrots on the field go to seed if less than ALL of them, because if they seed they consume the entire soil
if that happens (intentionally or accidentally) then you want to have the best advantage from that loss
& that is, ALL the seeds aviable from the loss of soil

carrots left on the field will seed eventually, do that always only if there is not enough wild seeds supply
you find wild seeds usually in the prairie (yellow ground) & the biomes nearby

worms are needed to make new soil (since an update), WORMS ARE FINITE
take good care of worms, wormy pits & soil in general

NEVER sow wheat where carrots grow
you cannot eat raw wheat, domestic wheat consumes soil always
if you do so, it's griefing !!!

to farm efficiently you need carrot seeds (preferably wild, so don't dig up wild carrots unless you're literally starving)

MILKWEED :
-------------
as important as carrots is also milkweed
take good care of the wild plants, handle with care, anything else is griefing !!!

gooseBERRY BUSHES :
----------------------
similar is with berry bushes
they replenish slowly, the more often you pic, the slower they replenish
don't pick the last berry unless you literally starve
afaik, bushes with the last berry present replenish faster than without any

CLOTHES, BASKET, BACKPACK, CART :
----------------------------------------
learn to make clothes from fur asap, clothes reduce your need for food drastically
the simplest form of clothing is a reed skirt but needs 4 milkweed
learn how to trap rabbits (needs milkweed)
carry things in bunches, thus you need at least one basket, backpacks are more efficient but need lots of milkweed, work & time
carts are even more efficient in a more advanced town
if there are not enough baskets in a town, make some new, if there are not enough backpacks in a town, make some new, if there are not enough carts in a town, make some new

there are oc more tips needed to succeed
https://onehouronelife.gamepedia.com/On … _Life_Wiki (most of the recipes)
https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggestions/ (gameplay suggestions for players to vote & Jason to decide if to be implemented)

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-04-14 08:38:27)

#8 2018-04-14 11:52:40

Potjeh

If you want to be useful to an Eve, bring baskets, food and rope to base.

#9 2018-04-14 18:18:26

Lavea

Hehe, well I've taken the plunge and tried a few lives. One very helpful mum and grandmum. Thanks guys! Helping me farm and get water. So far I've been about as useful as a cactus big_smile Made it to age 12 to be eaten by a wolf.

#10 2018-04-14 18:38:45

Lavea

And killed by a rattle snake big_smile I feel bad for the amount of resources I must be wasting.

#11 2018-04-14 20:19:42

fragilityh14

I don't think that the empty trees actually regenerate slower, however it's good to always leave one on for emergency situations.

Something not a lot of people seem to think about is that stuff can't replenish if it's full. I see people empty a wild gooseberry bush while another is full and thus not regenerating. Similarly, empty a domestic one all at once and water it right away it respawns sooner. Split up the ponds you get water from when reasonable to do so. I throw a lot of branches down from trees for the same reason. And pick fruiting milkweed whenever you see it (unless you may die of starvation)  because it will regenerate sooner and you always need it.

I should add, similarly, with the new burdock and wild onion, don't pick them unless you need to. I mean, it doesn't need to be desperate to pick them, but no reason to pick them if berries are right there. Especially because food pressure can build really fast and being able to gather those could save your village.

Last edited by fragilityh14 (2018-04-14 20:36:25)

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#12 2018-04-14 21:50:27

Izlador

Thanks, guys! This has got to be one of the most helpful communities for a game I've ever seen. Thank you very much for your help smile

-Izlador

#13 2018-04-15 05:36:26

pein

onion refills 4 so good food for kids, also they dont need kissing, so their breath can stink

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2018-04-15 06:19:21

bread_lord

breezeknight wrote:

Excellent advice in this thread and in breezeknight's post with the exception of the above section which merits some clarification.  The wild gooseberry respawn timer is 10 minutes from last activation regardless of how many berries are present, so berries will regrow at the same rate no matter how few are left on the plant.  However, it is true that the timer is "reset" with every activation, meaning that if a berry is taken off a bush that had 1 minute to go until regrowing the timer is reset back to the full 10 minutes.  Bearing in mind that wild gooseberries "rot" and despawn five minutes after being plucked, it can be a good idea to harvest a few berries at the same time.  For maximum efficiency in an area with multiple berry bushes, as fragilityh14 mentioned, it's best to not focus on harvesting one bush at a time and instead rotate between all available plants.

Domestic berry bushes are a little different.  Their berries never "rot" once plucked and the bushes only begin counting down towards a new harvest after all berries have been removed and the bushes have been watered.  If not watered within 7 minutes, however, stripped domestic bushes will die.  Players should thus never harvest the last domestic gooseberry unless they are willing and able to quickly water the plant.

Last edited by bread_lord (2018-04-15 06:23:08)

Discord: weasel_bread#2656

#15 2018-04-15 09:12:57

breezeknight

bread_lord wrote:
breezeknight wrote:

Excellent advice in this thread and in breezeknight's post with the exception of the above section which merits some clarification.  The wild gooseberry respawn timer is 10 minutes from last activation regardless of how many berries are present, so berries will regrow at the same rate no matter how few are left on the plant.  However, it is true that the timer is "reset" with every activation, meaning that if a berry is taken off a bush that had 1 minute to go until regrowing the timer is reset back to the full 10 minutes.  Bearing in mind that wild gooseberries "rot" and despawn five minutes after being plucked, it can be a good idea to harvest a few berries at the same time.  For maximum efficiency in an area with multiple berry bushes, as fragilityh14 mentioned, it's best to not focus on harvesting one bush at a time and instead rotate between all available plants.

Domestic berry bushes are a little different.  Their berries never "rot" once plucked and the bushes only begin counting down towards a new harvest after all berries have been removed and the bushes have been watered.  If not watered within 7 minutes, however, stripped domestic bushes will die.  Players should thus never harvest the last domestic gooseberry unless they are willing and able to quickly water the plant.

ty for clarification, very helpful

#16 2018-04-15 13:55:17

Lavea

Hehe, reached 17 and starved with my first kid. Oops.

#17 2018-04-15 14:33:20

Lavea

This game is really hard lol. Can't seem to figure out farming. Does anyone know if it's a good thing to cut burdock?

#18 2018-04-15 14:37:19

breezeknight

Lavea wrote:

This game is really hard lol. Can't seem to figure out farming. Does anyone know if it's a good thing to cut burdock?

burdock & wild onion are the newest food additions with the last update,
they do not respawn, do not regrow & cannot be domesticated
they are there solely to ease the strain of early starvation for Eve & her kids, you can safely eat them
same with the shrooms growing in empty soil pits, though those are usualy not present in early stages

you should farm only carrots, preferably from wild seeds (see my longer post above)

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-04-15 14:38:41)

#19 2018-04-15 16:11:00

Lavea

Well I reached 37 big_smile Had about 20 odd kids lol.

#20 2018-04-15 16:14:07

fragilityh14

Domesticated berries are really worthwhile, you just need to actually care for them. Carrots give higher total food production when cared for, but also higher risk of losing soil, and seeds are more precious now.

Listen to your mom!

#21 2018-04-15 16:44:14

Potjeh

Domesticated berries take 60 years to regrow, so you might as well have lost that soil as far as immediate needs are concerned. It's a waste of time to plant them early generations, get carrot farming under control before you plant your first bush.

#22 2018-04-15 19:52:54

fragilityh14

do domestic berries take 60 minutes to put the first fruit on now?

I planted some and didn't see fruit on them all game, and I doubt if they got picked clear and rewatered without me noticing.

Listen to your mom!

#23 2018-04-15 23:52:45

Lavea

Aww, today I had an amazing mum, who saved me from a group of ladies who tried to murder all the boys. This was the first of "those" towns I'd ended up in. Anyway my mum was lovely. She named me Rex and cared for me well. She even gave me a knife - which was the first time I'd wielded one big_smile She figured who she thought was murdering lots of people in our town - I probably should have stabbed them. But I hadn't seen any murder so I didn't act - and he shot me. My dying sounds were the sounds of mum calling my name. Awww. Thanks for the care mum, and for making one of my most memorable lives. You were amazing.

Last edited by Lavea (2018-04-15 23:53:19)

#24 2018-04-16 05:08:52

bread_lord

fragilityh14 wrote:

do domestic berries take 60 minutes to put the first fruit on now?

Yes, changed in the last patch to require a full epoch before growing their first batch of fruit.

Discord: weasel_bread#2656

Board footer