One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-09 01:36:36

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update: Who's Who

0CsLXnr.png

You might call this the information overload update.

First of all, in-game, hit ESC.  There was always a graphical hint showing the controls, but over time, the list of "hidden" verbal commands has grown quite long.  Now you have a hint sheet for all of them.

Q4eQgnJ.png

There's one new command on this list, and that's the /FAM command.  Type this on the chat sheet to see +FAMILY+ labels pop up above the heads of nearby people who count toward your genetic fitness score.  These are the people that you need to take care of if you want to climb the leaderboard, have a healthier old age, and unlock more tool slots.

But what about far-away family members?  Aside from your mother and grandmother, all of your genetic fitness offspring are younger than you, which means they were born after you (so you had some chance to help them survive).  When one of these babies is born, your character will call out, and you'll get a temporary arrow pointing back to the birth location.  You will also see +FAMILY+ labels above the heads of all your family members each time a new baby is born.

A similar system has been added to help you keep track of relationships in the leadership system.  When you receive and order from your leader, you get a temporary arrow pointing back to them.  When you issue an order as a leader, you get an arrow to your closest follower (so you can get the order-passing process started), and you also get +FOLLOWER+ labels above the heads of all your nearby followers.

Note that, thanks to these arrows, issuing an order to your followers can actually help them follow you---when traveling as a group.

Also note that exiled followers don't receive orders or see these arrows, so you don't need to worry about griefers using them to track people.  And as a leader, people only get an arrow point to you if you issue an order.  So you can control exactly when people can track your location.

Next, to bootstrap the leadership system, everyone auto-follows their own mother, if their mother has no other leader.

Okay, okay, that stuff is pretty cool, but there's one more massive improvement this week.  For a long time, curses have been personal.  You chose who to curse, and there's a guarantee that the cursed people won't be born near you for the next 30 days.  Cursing is a way to say, "Get away from me in the future, I don't want to play with you anymore."

But of course, that didsn't stop people from migrating later in life, returning to the same village repeatedly to cause more trouble.  And even though you cursed them, they were impossible to recognize.

Not anymore.  Now, each person you curse gets assigned a permanent 2-noun label.  Whenever they appear in your game, they have black speech bubbles, and they appear to babble this 2-noun phrase periodically.  Only you can see them doing this, though.  Other people who have them cursed see a different label.  But this will allow you to recognize the same bad actor in future lives.

There are also a bunch of other little changes.  A lone griefer can no longer block other people from getting born on low population servers.  The waiting period for killing is now 12 seconds, and is cut in half for each member that joins a posse.  Posses of three or more people cause the victim to gasp repeatedly in terror, producing a "T" off-screen sound marker.  Twins no longer count toward posse size.  Human-caused wounds all have a waiting period of 15 seconds before healing can be performed (a gushing state), preventing teams of two griefers from tag-team healing each other repeatedly.  When your leader dies, you get information about who replaced them.

After letting the dust settle on the latest genetic fitness score changes, it seems that there is a de facto ceiling around 52.  I've adjusted the tool slot curve to account for this:

MbJrxz3.png

#2 2020-02-09 01:53:01

Cantface

Re: Update: Who's Who

I wake up from nap to this, heck ye good news! Imma scope this out tomorrow yis!

Breasticles

#3 2020-02-09 02:27:46

MapleSugar

NICE
its more comfortable, nice and nice
three nice point

Sorry my poor english.
---  ....  ---  .-..

#4 2020-02-09 03:39:26

fug

Pretty good update. Only issue I was having was the game telling me I was having births 8.8k away which was kind of freaky. Not sure if because using modded client or game doing something silly.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#5 2020-02-09 03:51:16

HimitsuGato

SPECTACULAR UPDATE
What a great selection of QOL improvements.
Can't wait for the next one.

#6 2020-02-09 06:44:22

JasonY

Need content

Need Content

#7 2020-02-09 07:52:02

Saolin

This seems like a good update!  Would like to see the racial specialization changed to feel more fun.

#8 2020-02-09 08:31:14

Kinrany

Yay!

The part about bootstrapping the leadership system was unexpected! May I ask if there was anything that convinced you that this change should happen? Or is it just an experiment?

Personally I'd prefer the slightly more sophisticated version where naming someone makes them your follower. I think it would also make the act of naming feel more meaningful. Buuut otherwise it would only affect the rare case where the mother doesn't care about the baby, but someone else does

#9 2020-02-09 09:40:35

Amon

The last option might introduce kidnapping for followers, which might be fun every so often, it might actually just become the de facto way of gaining followers...by stealing people's babies to name them. Which would get obnoxious quick.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#10 2020-02-09 09:43:37

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I like the curse updates, but this killing time is HORRIBLE.

It's so confusing and weird. It's a complete mess.

Earlier we had 2 people working together to grief and about 6 people were running around trying to kill her and the guy she was working with and it was such a confusing shit show no one knew what was going one, who was bad, who was good.

Eventually I was shot with an arrow. The gushing needs to happen at the start of the arrow not when the arrow Head is removed. By the time they were about to stich me up I died.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#11 2020-02-09 11:47:38

LunyTerror

Who's Who from Call of Duty Black Ops 2 Zombies,

I was talkin' to myself just the other day,
I was hearin' lots of things
I never thought I'd say,
But one thing I said really blew my mind
(Who's who?) I said I don't know me,
But I know you, and if you listen closely
We can talk it through, it ain't as simple
As we're gonna find (Who's who?)
I think I will save you, I think I don't blame you,
'Cause I like you and you like me.

I was talkin' to myself just the other day,
Then the bad man came and took me away,
I feel bad, but not as bad as me
(Get off me, man!) I was talkin' to myself just the other day,
(You've got the wrong man!) before the bad man came
And took me away, (I'm not that man!)
I feel bad, but not as bad as me (Not who I am!)

(Who's Who?)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
This instantly started playing in my head after reading the title

I name all my boys Elias and all my girls Eylul. If you get named Elias or Eylul It's me. smile

#12 2020-02-09 11:48:41

Flachzang

Wow, unexpected update on a Sunday. Nice! Good work!

#13 2020-02-09 14:32:52

miskas

Just played it,  THIS IS THE FIRST TIME, I Felt part of a Family!

I co-operated with my two older brothers, my mom, my kids.
All of them were present when a new bb was born, with clothes and food!
I even had a Potato daughter that was kept being fed even after I die.

10/10 update!

PS: there is a bug that reports some bbs being born 850 meters away.

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#14 2020-02-09 18:28:29

Bearfut

Kinrany wrote:

Yay!

Personally I'd prefer the slightly more sophisticated version where naming someone makes them your follower. I think it would also make the act of naming feel more meaningful. Buuut otherwise it would only affect the rare case where the mother doesn't care about the baby, but someone else does

+

You could build an empire from the children you steal rescue

Last edited by Bearfut (2020-02-09 18:32:06)

#15 2020-02-09 19:47:34

DestinyCall

Kinrany wrote:

I agree.  It is a fine distinction, but a significant one.   

But I will take default following your mother over following nobody.   It allows the family hierarchy to develop organically, which was a serious drawback with the previous "opt-in"  system.   You can choose to unfollow as an adult, but I think it is reasonable to assume that children will be considered  part of the village social structure from birth. 

The leader-follower system is a way to develop and strengthen family connections which is much more natural and game-related than genetic score, imo.

#16 2020-02-10 01:20:13

Legs

The change to hierarchy mechanics is nice, but it would be less confusing if parents and grandparents had the appropriate title applied. It can be misleading when every mother is a Lady or Baroness and grandma is Supreme Empress.

Loco Motion

#17 2020-02-10 01:45:45

DestinyCall

Yeah, the royal titles are kinda jarring.    They imply a level of class distinction that just isn't realistic or appropriate in a small village.

#18 2020-02-10 04:01:05

Kinrany

Side effect of babies following their mom's leader: a mom who wants to talk to her children will have to choose between being able to give orders to children and being able to listen to her leader's orders.

Last edited by Kinrany (2020-02-10 04:04:58)

#19 2020-02-10 20:01:27

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, all the new arrows are totally broken.  Baby arrows, arrows pointing to your leader, arrows pointing to your followers.  They don't offset properly by your birth location.

Will hot-fix today.

Kinrany, Mom doesn't have to choose..... babies can chose to follow their mom later, who then is following the other leader.  Mom hears from higher up, and also can give orders to children.

Current model, the whole thing is FLAT unless people opt-in to more leadership.  I.e., there is at most a LADY if no one opts in to anything else.  That's a fine and non-confusing title.

So, Eve becomes a Lady to her kids.

She remains a Lady to her grandkids and great gandkids.  She doesn't become a Baroness or a Countess automatically as her family grows.

If she dies without picking an heir, the whole thing starts over again with kids following their own moms again.

You only get higher-level leaders if SOMEONE voluntarily follows someone else.

So, if you are seeing a SUPREME EMPRESS title on Granny, that's because some kings and queens have voluntarily followed her.  Because she is trustworthy.

The higher the title, the more people trust the person.

#20 2020-02-10 20:07:19

Twisted

jasonrohrer wrote:

So, if you are seeing a SUPREME EMPRESS title on Granny, that's because some kings and queens have voluntarily followed her.  Because she is trustworthy.

The higher the title, the more people trust the person.

I'm pretty sure the SUPREME EMPRESS thing is a bug. Whenever my top leader died I got a message that my SUPREME EMPRESS died, even if I was their only follower.

Though I might be wrong about that, maybe they did manage to become supreme emperors somehow.

Last edited by Twisted (2020-02-10 20:10:22)

#21 2020-02-10 20:17:03

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Okay, will look into that.

Do you recall if it said, "YOU NOW FOLLOW NO ONE?"

It should have, if they were your direct leader and they had no one above them.

#22 2020-02-10 20:37:51

Twisted

I double checked and I think I was just mistaken. They weren't always supreme emperors, and the name of the person that died was not the name of the person I followed, so I guess they somehow managed to get to supreme emperor legitimately (I don't think I've ever seen a supreme emperor in the game before so that's why I assumed it was a bug).

#23 2020-02-10 20:43:19

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Times have, apparently, changed!

I definitely saw a king in my most recent game.

It's strange that this "bootstrapping," which only creates Ladies automatically, resulted in people actually using the leadership system full-bore.  I saw multiple people picking leaders and switching leaders during my lifetime, and leaders issuing orders, etc.

Maybe people were just reminded of it?

Or maybe the cheat-sheet on the PAUSE screen suddenly woke everyone up to all the hidden possibilities?

#24 2020-02-10 20:47:46

Tipy

It's the same for orders, it sayd the order was given by my supreme empress Tarr Gaylord (or some much higher title than the real one) but when I mouse over them it says something like Baroness tarr Gaylord or lady etc. I think the system for the pop ups may choose the title by the number of total followers and not the hirarchical depth. Today when I played I was a lady but with every kid (that follows me automatically) that I got the rank portraited on the roders pop up grew and grew. It may be something else tho, havent tested it

I thought it was a well known bug, realized it since day one of orders. Always getting orders from those Supreme emperors but you never see them and when you find the person with that name, they have  a much lower rank

Last edited by Tipy (2020-02-10 20:50:46)

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

#25 2020-02-10 21:05:38

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Okay, thanks Tipy!

Will look into that.

Board footer