One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-01 10:39:33

Flachzang

Networking/Server_Connectivity Problems since last Update

Heyo,

Game became pretty much unplayable for me since last update #91. I can not move properly anymore.

I am not having game server connection issues in general, e.g. losing connection with retry to connect window, but my problem at least feels like a connection or networking issue. I can not tell for sure though.

Problem: When I move by clicking and holding down the left mouse button at the edge of the screen, I get teleported back to where I started or a few tiles back and run in place. I run in place forever until I issue a new move command by releasing the left mouse button and click again somewhere to move.

When I move by clicking constantly without holding my mouse button down, I don't have any issues. But I really don't like that. I click items more often then giving a move orders, which is annoying. It's also way less convenient to play.

I don't have internet connection problems on my end in general as far as I know and no problems with other games or such. It is also only occuring since last update #91.

If anyone could relay this onto github, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks! Hope I can play again soon.

#2 2020-02-01 11:56:16

testo

Re: Networking/Server_Connectivity Problems since last Update

Yes you are right, the game is very laggy lately. For me it freezes for a second every ten or so, making it really hard to complete some tasks. I checked my internet connection too and I think there is some problem with the update, neither mod nor vanilla client work normally for me.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#3 2020-02-01 16:52:50

Ilka

I have a similar problem.
I use the mouse buttons and my character runs forward, then turns back where she started, and runs again where it should.
In short, he runs back and forth which makes the game very difficult.
There is a problem in determining the target with the mouse button.

#4 2020-02-03 11:34:07

Flachzang

Ilka wrote:

I use the mouse buttons and my character runs forward, then turns back where she started, and runs again where it should.
In short, he runs back and forth which makes the game very difficult.

Yes, same for me. Either I get teleported or my character runs back and forth.

The problem still persists, btw. Hope I can properly play the game again soon hmm

Also, thanks for taking this issue to github!

#5 2020-02-04 14:49:13

Twisted

+1, it happens very often and it's really distracting.

#6 2020-02-04 16:13:18

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yikes!

Sorry about this.  Will fix it today.

Do you think this is bad enough to warrant a hot fix and server restart?

I'm imagining a new player in the tutorial being taught to hold the mouse button down and constantly jumping back.  Ouch!

#7 2020-02-04 16:18:09

Grim_Arbiter

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yikes!

Sorry about this.  Will fix it today.

Do you think this is bad enough to warrant a hot fix and server restart?

I'm imagining a new player in the tutorial being taught to hold the mouse button down and constantly jumping back.  Ouch!

Holding the mouse button seems to actually make you not jump back, its when you click it that it give you the rubberbanding. At least that's what I noticed last week. I haven't been able to play anything all week due to personal stuff, so I haven't been able to confirm that completely.

I'd say this one could be bad enough to reset.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#8 2020-02-04 16:22:17

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Having a little trouble reproducing this, even on the live server in a busy town.

I got it to jump back once or twice while holding the mouse button down, but not consistently.  The second time, I froze in place after and had to click again to keep moving.  Is that what you're experiencing?

Can anyone capture this in a quick video?

#9 2020-02-04 16:23:25

Twisted

jasonrohrer wrote:

Having a little trouble reproducing this, even on the live server in a busy town.

I got it to jump back once or twice while holding the mouse button down, but not consistently.  The second time, I froze in place after and had to click again to keep moving.  Is that what you're experiencing?

Can anyone capture this in a quick video?

I have it on video, gimme 10 minutes and I'll email you a link.

#10 2020-02-04 18:13:23

wondible

It's not quick, but I had this contently in my first life Saturday, then hot patched and was fine

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/Video%7D%7C%7B545432274

There is some mod going on here, since I mostly move with auto run, which functions like holding the mouse

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#11 2020-02-04 22:55:45

Flachzang

Unfortunately, I can not provide a vid but I am sure you already have some footage.

It is not only teleporting back and running in place. Often it is also repetitious running back and forth. Ilka previously described that in his post here, too.

It does not always happen but in my case I would guess it happens at least 8/10 times when I hold down the left mouse button to move. So for me it is a code red issue for sure.

Edit: If it got hotfixed in the meantime, disregard this post. Only checked it this morning CET.

Last edited by Flachzang (2020-02-04 23:05:08)

#12 2020-02-05 10:46:06

Flachzang

Well, I'm just having another life right now. And the problem is still there.

#13 2020-02-05 16:14:31

Jojigirl

I think it triggers when you do a lot of clicking while heading to where you are going.

#14 2020-02-05 16:20:32

Twisted

Not sure if the hotfix actually went live or not, but I can confirm it's still happening.

#15 2020-02-05 19:24:34

Flachzang

Jojigirl wrote:

I think it triggers when you do a lot of clicking while heading to where you are going.

Actually, I had the impression it's the opposite. I'm having the issue when I hold the mouse button down to move. When I click often to where I want to go, then it seems to not happen that often. But like I said, constantly clicking means clicking on items more often than on the ground. It's just less convenient and more frustrating.

Maybe it happens more often when you change directions while holding the mouse button along the edges of the screen. Maybe also when there are obstacles around that you must move around, indicated by the black stripy lines on the ground. Idk, but it happens all the time for me.

#16 2020-02-08 19:36:18

Flachzang

Really was hoping to see a fix this week sad
Issue still happening

#17 2020-02-09 04:10:57

wondible

Flachzang wrote:

Really was hoping to see a fix this week sad
Issue still happening

I had some slightly circumlocutions pathing, but no jumping around. Of course I'm mostly using some modified move code, and it wasn't super clear how to make it jive with Jason's changes.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#18 2020-02-09 23:21:55

Flachzang

I am no longer having the running back and forth bug anymore. Recent update seems to have fixed things.

Occasionally however, I still get teleported and run in place. But it is rather rare. So everything is fine, I guess. Thx!

Last edited by Flachzang (2020-02-09 23:23:07)

Board footer