One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-24 19:04:39

fug

Please allow Track Cart Kits to start on any track.

Or at least the straight parts. As of currently it has to be an end piece which means rigging an infinitely moving rail cart system requires some ghetto rigging.

qSHv7QI.png

Also kind of need the east-west tracks to go through doors otherwise you have to leave an empty space like in the picture. Fun little project either way.

Last edited by fug (2020-01-24 19:06:15)

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#2 2020-01-24 19:33:03

Wuatduhf

Re: Please allow Track Cart Kits to start on any track.

But how will the cart know which way it needs to start moving? The transition system doesn't support directional input from the player. It's also a situation that's begging for griefers to simply place down a new cart or stop one of the moving ones, and then there goes the whole chain.

Admittedly, the current setup is also begging for one rail to be torn up by an Adze, and then there goes the whole line, again.

#3 2020-01-24 19:59:59

fug

Ahh what a shame, I guess ghetto rails it is then.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#4 2020-01-24 20:40:53

pein

that's why I said we need levers to stop and start mine carts, would help with stripping resources further away from camp

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2020-01-24 20:44:45

The_Anabaptist

I haven't done rails, so I'm trying to imagine here how a fix might work.

Sounds like the loop could use a 1 tile spur off a corner that would indicate a split in the track.  One curve and one straight branch.  If this one tile spur was the start / stop point of the cart, and the rule was that the cart always took the right branch, then it should be able to make the full loop and come back to a stop at the one tile spur.

Now this should work fine on a loop, but could fail on tracks that included additional turns in the opposite direction that had 1 tile spurs on them that forced a new cart to essentially go the opposite intended direction.  But then I suppose we could include crashed cart rules for collisions...

The_Anabaptist

The plus side is: additional 1 tile spurs on the same loop could act as "stations" that the cart would run and stop at until given the next push to go to the next "station".

Last edited by The_Anabaptist (2020-01-24 20:47:20)

#6 2020-01-25 03:04:41

tobiasisahawk

It's not too bad to start multiple carts.  The trick is to build an end track near a corner.  Put the cart on the end track then hit the corner with a hammer to straighten the track.  Launch the cart, then hit the now straight piece with a hammer to fix the corner.

corner rail

Board footer