One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-21 13:23:06

Gogo
Banned

Notice board - for jobs

I was thinking about this board. How about this - everyone can write on board their request with pencil. No one can erase others requests. If you use rubber ball on board you will erase your request only. If you die your request will be erased by itself.

If someone want a job, go to notice board and read all the requests.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-01-21 13:39:41)

#2 2020-01-21 19:00:54

The_Anabaptist

Re: Notice board - for jobs

I would much rather have a quest icon floating over my head that others could mouse over and read my personalized quest message.  Last life it would have been "I can't find milkweed seeds, bring me some please!"  Save me the hassle of repeat spamming my text messages.

While a job board may be more realistic, I think this is one case where I would rather have what is most practical instead.

The_Anabaptist

#3 2020-01-22 08:34:35

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I like the idea of a job board. Technically it can be done with a slot box and paper, but we all know it would be abused.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#4 2020-01-22 16:12:58

DestinyCall

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

I like the idea of a job board. Technically it can be done with a slot box and paper, but we all know it would be abused.

One key difference between a "job board" and a slotbox full of paper is that the job board would provide clear indication that the jobs were suggested recently.    I have a hard time trusting random pieces of paper that I find on the ground.   They could have been made by someone hours or days earlier.    But if the job board has some way to automatically clear old jobs, then you can be assured that any jobs on the board are still "active" and potentially necessary for the village.

#5 2020-01-22 20:15:15

pein

yeah I was thinking about making it but you would need a box for jobs to be done, jobs on hold and already done

and to check upon them every 10 min at least

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2020-01-23 00:34:22

Gogo
Banned

Papers don't have dates and can be moved, we can use it right now, but barely anyone does it.

The_Anabaptist wrote:

I would much rather have a quest icon floating over my head that others could mouse over and read my personalized quest message.

What if you go outside of town (for oil etc.) and nobody would see your quest? tongue

#7 2020-01-23 16:47:49

schmloo

I like the idea, there are 2 main problems with maintaining constant job roles for people however — one, if a single generation doesn’t uphold the idea, it goes off the rails until some random decides to pick it back up, and two, vanilla people just can’t navigate around a town when young enough to both find the board and have enough of their life left to perform the job to better effect than if there was no board.

I think the best use of a “jobs board” is for it to serve as a guidline to new people for common jobs that keep a town together. They read it, and pick a job they feel like doing. Maybe keep the note on them. Even better, make all the notes permanent to make them less likely to just get erased for people who want to write shit like “:thx mom ily”

Last edited by schmloo (2020-01-23 16:48:43)

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#8 2020-01-23 18:24:19

DestinyCall

If the notes are permanent, what prevents someone from filling the board with "thx mom ily" notes from the start?    Ideally, there needs to be a way to remove inappropriate or out-dated notes to prevent spam and nonsense from taking over the board.

#9 2020-01-24 02:26:17

schmloo

Oh I meant they’d be taking the paper and erasing it to write their own message, because they’re too lazy to go out and make their own paper, then placing it on a grave somewhere else. Make the job titles permanent and they’re more likely to stay in the box unless the board is intentionally messed up/destroyed for some reason.

As for removing spam, that’s just up to the relatively small town community to maintain as they use it really.

Last edited by schmloo (2020-01-24 02:28:27)

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#10 2020-01-24 04:06:40

Jojigirl

A habit and trend has to start somewhere.. You do it enough more and more people will pick it up and continue the trend.. Soon enough it will be a norm around every town..

My suggestion, every station has a job box..  Maybe at first, until it becomes a regular thing, make a sign that says "Jobs" then under the sign will be a box with papers of what supplies that station needs to make that job easier for the person working there.. 

It takes persistence to make something catch on with everyone, but if enough people do it and keep at it, it will happen.

#11 2020-01-24 06:55:47

DestinyCall

The hardest part of that plan would be making a regular sign that says "JOBS".   I'm not sure how much experience you have with making signs in OHOL, but it is legitimate PITA.

To make a four letter sign is practically the work of an entire lifetime, especially if it is your first time exploring the joys of letterstock.   First, you'll want to gather up a stack of skewers.  Fastest option might involve farming them, unless you have access to a horse to go searching for wild saplings.   If you are very lucky, you can raid a tomato farm to get all you need.

To make the Letter J requires multiple steps.  First, you must use flint chip on a skewer to make letterstock.  But J is a bendy letter, so you need bendy letterstock.  To make the letterstock bendy, you need to heat up a bowl of water on hot coals.    Once you have the bendy letterstock, you must use it on a bowl to form the letter U.   Then use a flint chip to cut the U into a J shape.   One letter down, three to go.   Next, you want a Letter O.    Hopefully, you planned ahead, because O is another bendy letter, so you'll need more bendy letterstock.   Once you have the bendy letter stock, you want to make another U.   Instead of cutting the U, this time, you will use it on the empty clay bowl a second time to form a Letter C.   You are so close!   But first you need a piece of thread to tie ends together, forming a O.   Next up .. Letter B.   Now, I have some good news and some bad news.  The good news, is that you basically already know how to make a Letter B.  The bad news is it is going to require two more threads, because you make the Letter B by combining two Letter Os together.    Finally, we want a letter S.  This is another double-skewer letter.  It is made by combining two Letter Cs together.

All together, you will need SIX skewers, three pieces of thread, a bowl of water and hot coals.    All of your skewers need to be turned into bendy letterstock while the water is hot.  And you will want an empty bowl and a flint chip handy for forming the different letters.   It might be a smart idea to have a couple of extra skewers available in case you mess up somewhere along the way.

If you are interested in making a sapling farm for skewer production, it is pretty easy.  Make some deep rows and then go looking for a wild sapling.   Use a flint chip or knife on the sampling to get a "sapling cutting".   Feel free to stock up - you can take multiple cuttings from the same sapling.   Bring the cutting to your deep row, plant and water.   In a short amount of time, a single sapling will grow.   Domestic saplings always produce weak skewers.  No good for tilling soil, but perfect for letterstock and arrow production.   Also handy for stirring latex, making home markers, forming clay nozzles, staking tomatoes, cooking geese/rabbits/fish, stirring butter, cooking shrimp, making ice cream, and scraping burnt omelettes off flat rocks.   You can harvest more sapling cuttings off your domestic sapling to grow your farm.   Try to avoid harvesting the last sapling before making more cuttings.  Wild saplings can be difficult to find near established cities.   The cuttings will decay after 10 minutes.    Dry sapling cuttings will not die, even if they remain unwatered. Once they receive water, they mature in four minutes.   It is a good idea to leave a couple of dry saplings to protect against careless harvesters.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-01-24 07:03:30)

#12 2020-01-24 09:47:26

miskas

I had made a post about such an item that would work as a notice board and be griefer proof.

miskas wrote:

An item that people could go write about what they need, what they want and their Name appears after the text.

-Every Entry is signed off with the name and nobility title of the writer.
-Character limit= 1+age+gene score (this way kids could use it easily)
-The way this would work is like swapping written papers from a slot box with unlimited capacity.
-1 text per player so they don't spam.
-Every new entry of a player overwrites his previous one.
-Their entry would be erased after their death or have a 30 minutes decay.
-Being a Noble grant you extra text slots. (King could post 4 Extra texts, duke 3, Earl 2, baron 1 extra
-To use the item you must hold a pencil or Elder Quill Ink Pen
-The written with pencil decays the written with Ink Pen is inherited to your nobility heir

Extra Feature!
Accept and Deny

-When a person reads your entry can say "YAY", "NAY" 
this will hit the writer of the entry with a popup saying Name-surname-Title accepts or denies your entry #.

example:
Ben writes: We need a forester, would you be one?
5 years old Tomas reads it and says: YAY
Ben gets a notification that Thomas accepted his entry: We need a forester...

(If a person has multiple entries put a Latin number on them I,II,III,IV so the person knows which one got approved and which not )

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#13 2020-01-25 04:54:30

Gogo
Banned

Jojigirl wrote:

My suggestion, every station has a job box..  Maybe at first, until it becomes a regular thing, make a sign that says "Jobs" then under the sign will be a box with papers of what supplies that station needs to make that job easier for the person working there.. 

It takes persistence to make something catch on with everyone, but if enough people do it and keep at it, it will happen.

I saw this:

jobs.jpg

Maybe just enable us to pin papers on signs?
No letters will be needed, everyone will start to see papers on signs as jobs.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-01-25 04:56:10)

#14 2020-01-25 04:56:09

DestinyCall

It is happening!

#15 2020-01-25 08:50:41

voy178

DestinyCall wrote:

It is happening!

It has been done before with limited effect.

#16 2020-01-25 20:43:51

Flachzang

There is no need for a fixed feature in terms of a job board or job center, imo. All you need is a feel for the town and its people to see what's needed and what not atm. Or simply ask.

A determined feature would just force you to use it and would take a lot of the freedom away.

#17 2020-01-25 22:05:59

DestinyCall

But what if you are new to the game and want an idea of what jobs are important?   It takes a long time to gain a solid feel for what the village needs just by running around as a toddler.

#18 2020-01-27 15:09:13

Gogo
Banned

Flachzang wrote:

There is no need for a fixed feature in terms of a job board or job center, imo. All you need is a feel for the town and its people to see what's needed and what not atm. Or simply ask.

There is always need for more content!

Last edited by Gogo (2020-01-27 15:09:41)

Board footer