One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-03 22:31:07

The_Anabaptist

Discouraging Domestic Berries

In the last few towns I've played in, in my opinion, there were way too many domesticated berry bushes, 6+ clusters of 9 bushes.  More than what I consider average and still too much.  I personally find it easier to run a bit out to wild bushes and fill bowls (especially if I have a cart and backpack full of carrots at my disposal) I also think it ultimately saves time over the whole compost cycle.

Again, in my opinion, the more domestic bushes = the quicker death of the town due to water shortages.  What can we do to evolve the meta within the greater player base?

The_Anabaptist

#2 2020-01-03 23:01:40

QuirkySmirkyIan

Re: Discouraging Domestic Berries

Obviously we need to mass produce WHOLE MILK its the best food in the game.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#3 2020-01-03 23:56:46

DestinyCall

If only buckets weren't so difficult to make, I would milk the cows until we ran out of empty buckets in every life.    Sadly, there are never enough buckets to go full milkmaid.

#4 2020-01-04 01:46:29

StrongForce

Fluid and powder storage is a nice way to do this.
A crock pot filled with 3 buckets or so

Baby dance!!

#5 2020-01-04 07:30:31

testo

StrongForce wrote:

Fluid and powder storage is a nice way to do this.
A crock pot filled with 3 buckets or so

PLZ CROK OF MILK YES!

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#6 2020-01-04 08:51:14

pein

I did a cow station in Red Cow city and Darwin city
EyHesoR.png

the buckets were stolen after the city had trouble, I guess people took it back to east
used some to help out Hot town to get water then all was gone, white town hoarded a lot of shit sw

I milked this cow many times over for 3-4 buckets
it's far now but the town still had water way after other towns went dry

if the easy mode is still on, then popcorn and stew is pretty good

also I saw some calculations and potato and pigs are quite good on the list
we should make pig pens more often and big cornfields a bit further from town so they don't eat it raw

also, since we got pine floors, we should enforce the rule to put 3 rows and columns of flooring between the farms
that would help on space issues and would mean less berries

on average camp the bushes still gonna look crap but we can dig out some in bell towns, and replace with flooring
3 floors would also help with the pie pillars, where you just put an adobe pillar, plaster it, put a slot box on it and fill it with pies, then adults at least can eat pies all the time

a dedicated carrot pie factory could also help to feed kids with lesser pip pies, which are still quite efficient  and 4x the worth of raw carrots

and pls stop the  fucking 12-15 tile carrot fields, we rarely need more than 4 rows or 2 boxes of carrots
everyone calculates them on base efficiency but carrot waterers make other peoples life harder, and then they even leave it to rot, which is a waste on soil and water cause you don't use up the seeds anyway

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2020-01-04 09:03:26

JasonY

I'd just nerf all raw ingredients and make it so cooking is the only real way to survive, with the exception of wild foods.

It wouldn't be so hard to get an oven and start making berry and carrots pies only on, Plus omelets and cooked rabbits.

Last edited by JasonY (2020-01-04 09:04:45)

Need Content

#8 2020-01-04 12:02:48

The_Anabaptist

I think my original query is being misunderstood.  I'm not asking what can be implemented by Jason to change the meta in the future.  What actions as players can we do right now with our existing play styles, teaching methods, and currently implemented items that will encourage less cultivation of domestic bushes?

The_Anabaptist

#9 2020-01-04 13:25:22

Spoonwood

The_Anabaptist wrote:

I think my original query is being misunderstood.  I'm not asking what can be implemented by Jason to change the meta in the future.  What actions as players can we do right now with our existing play styles, teaching methods, and currently implemented items that will encourage less cultivation of domestic bushes?

The_Anabaptist

Good luck!  The tutorial teaches new players about berries.  The other foods aren't around camps all that often, and even as an Eve good luck getting your children to gather burdock or onions (tried it a few times... they would bring back berries in baskets).  Pies differ in color and players have to learn the different between raw and cooked pie before they feel remotely comfortable with them as food.  There's a person who's name on Twitch is GrowCarrots.  Information about growing carrots over berries, or corn for popcorn, just doesn't seem to get around no matter what people have said (vets have long said that domestic berries are sheep food or something like that).  Vets will grow carrots or corn, but often enough vets have to gather resources, smith, or cook and the newer players end up as farmers.  And then we've had some Twitch streamers/YouTubers (Twisted and Timmehexas come to mind) who have taught growing berries as an early thing (it wouldn't be so bad if players grew more carrots than berries, but good luck with that happening).  So, they'll end up growing berries.  Unless Jason changes things, unfortunately, I don't see things changing.  Again, good luck!

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#10 2020-01-05 06:03:03

pein

simplest is floors, just do a lot of floors, berries get planted by eve and her kids, generally, while the eve makes the tools, people overextend with berries. digging it out takes a lot of water so it's not the best solution but still saves water over time

floor it own fast with multiple columns and rows of floors, then they cannot plant on top of it, that's the only one which is working

3x3x4 setup around the well is the most common, maybe we should just dig out the inner sides, put floors, that would change the 36 into 24, then leave a note to not plant more

also don't put other farms near  berry just tons of flooring, if there is a stew or cabbage or milkweed farm spot, people plant berries eventually

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer